[DEV] Multiboot Linux on Infinity tf700 (project closed)

Search This thread

x3maniac

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 2, 2008
New York
www.novaspirit.com
Guys

Do we have any news on the next release?

o far so good. I now have both Linux and Android Clean ROM running Stable and shutting down properly etc. I worked out the the reason that I could not shutdown linux properly is because I had an external mouse plugged in :)

A reliable package manager would be great in the next release if possible as Software Center is still not working for me and the 2 times I have tried to get it updated or Purged and rebuilt it has resulted in me losing my entire X desktop on reboot to a random set of blurs..

Thanks again.

I'm in the same boat with the donation. Can you please let us have some paypal details for you.

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

Yep gave it a shot and failed miserably....... Firefox just keeps crashig out when trying to load the file at startup.

Thanks for the heads up though. Has anyone else managed to get Flash working?
to get flash working
try lightspark.

this is off the top of my head
Code:
apt-get install lightspark browser-plugin-lightspark

I have not yet tried ubuntu on my tab, though I am tempted. The Ubuntu announcement ( http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone ) today by Ubuntu makes me how this will be easier though :)

drool :p

edit: i don't own a tf700 but i did port a fully working linux to tf101 still in development. i'll see if i can try to lend a hand. i'm interested in anything linux =)

Last edited:
Reactions: JoinTheRealms

Solarusj

Feb 18, 2010
VPN

For those that are interested I have managed to get VPN to initialise using the following commands. It would appear that on first view pptp is installed however, your ability to Add a new connection is greyed out until you clean it up.

Clean PPTP settings
apt-get purge netwrok-manager-pptp
apt-get install netwrok-manager-pptp

add openvpn support
apt-get purge netwrok-manager-openvpn

add cisco vpn support
apt-get purge netwrok-manager-vpnc

snakerock

Oct 19, 2010
Moscow
I figured out that xrdb doesn`t load ~/.Xresources - that is why X server sets Xft.dpi to ~115 by default (although X starts with -dpi 220 option, but xdpyinfo | grep resolution says that 220 dpi is set and xrdb -query | grep dpi says ~115 dpi).

Also xmodmap doesn`t load ~/.Xmodmap on startup and this is the cause of not working F-keys (for example, I cant switch to console using Ctrl+Alt+F1).

Tried to create ~/.xinitrc with needed script, but seems like even .xinitrc is not run on X start. Or maybe it is run, but then X reassignes its Xft. values (but where exactly?)

Ok, DPI can wait, but how to make F-keys work?

EDIT: Ok, I`ve made F-keys work by calling xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap, but I still cant switch to the console session by Ctrl+Alt+F1-6

Last edited:

rabits

Nov 25, 2012
St.Petersburg
I figured out that xrdb doesn`t load ~/.Xresources - that is why X server sets Xft.dpi to ~115 by default (although X starts with -dpi 220 option, but xdpyinfo | grep resolution says that 220 dpi is set and xrdb -query | grep dpi says ~115 dpi).

Thanx, that's interesting info - I'll try to research in this direction. I really have Xft.dpi = 120, but X is set to -dpi 130... To my regret, setting these DPI to different and the same values ​​- has absolutely no gains for unity and other programs...
For now I set X dpi by lightdm config - please, see inside /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf or `ps aux | grep dpi`.

Also xmodmap doesn`t load ~/.Xmodmap on startup and this is the cause of not working F-keys (for example, I cant switch to console using Ctrl+Alt+F1).

You is not actually right. You can't switch to VT because X11 is running on vt1. You can press f1 and see help, or press Back - and get Esc. `xev | grep keycode` should help you in this question.

Tried to create ~/.xinitrc with needed script, but seems like even .xinitrc is not run on X start. Or maybe it is run, but then X reassignes its Xft. values (but where exactly?)
Ok, DPI can wait, but how to make F-keys work?

As I see - you not using Unity? I do not understand - what are you doing?
All keys is working ok under Xorg (on "us" map) - you can see evdev-tf700 keymap (/usr/share/X11/xkb/keycodes/evdev-tf700) is loaded by /etc/X11/xorg.conf - tf700 keyboard InputClass.

EDIT: Ok, I`ve made F-keys work by calling xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap, but I still cant switch to the console session by Ctrl+Alt+F1-6

For now only VT1 is working ok - if you try to switch to VT2 - device is freezes. You can `stop lightdm` service to see the vt1 console.

snakerock

Oct 19, 2010
Moscow
For now only VT1 is working ok - if you try to switch to VT2 - device is freezes. You can `stop lightdm` service to see the vt1 console.

Oh, thanks, I`ve got it :)

For now I set X dpi by lightdm config - please, see inside /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf or `ps aux | grep dpi`.

Yes, i use xserver-commnd=X -dpi 220 but it changes nothing: although ps aux | grep dpi and xdpyinfo | grep resolution tells about 220 dpi set, Xft.dpi is always 115.19921875 after lightdm start :confused:

As I see - you not using Unity? I do not understand - what are you doing?

I do use Unity :) And remaping the keys is not a problem anymore; I just can`t get why Xft.dpi: 220.0 stored in ~/.Xresources is not applying on startup...

Last edited:

gautier56

Dec 18, 2012
rabits ubuntu 7.1 user report 20130117

Hello,
I Join my test report.
Thank you for your work rabits !

Attachments

• 20130117_ubuntu_tf700t_report.txt
    8.4 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: rabits

rabits

Nov 25, 2012
St.Petersburg
I Join my test report.

After each release, I look forward to your report, thank you.

2nd start :
changed keymap to "french" only
WIFI KO
terminal / sudo -s
ip link : only lo/dummy0/sit0/ip6tnl0 (no wlan0)
lsmod : only zram
Hmm, this is a problem in /etc/init/tf700.conf service (is present in 7.0 release). It loads bcmdhd driver after /mnt/android/* is mounted ok (firmwares is placed in /system). In release 7.1 I fix it, but, maybe missed some problems. I'll try research it.
SSH not launched
/etc/init.d/ssh start ==> no host keys
dpkg-reconfigure openssh-server
This is also a problem in /etc/init/tf700.conf ... Also in next release I will use ssh.override: manual to prevent problems with ssh.
SSH connection : MOTD login :
Linaro basic packages is changes MOTD message... This is not good, yeah.
copy to samba share via WIFI : 2MB/s : yes WIFI is slow !
Hmm.. WiFi driver or NM problem. Ok, I got it.
play old avi with video player
Yeah, no changes from past release. Totem still can't use nv gstreamer plugin.
Yeah, this is keymap problem. I'll try to fix it in next release.
vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf # modified Section "Monitor" MonitorLVDS
That's interesting - if I change displaysize - it freezes... Ok. DPI problem is so huge))
autologin-user=ubuntu
Autologin by default is good feature.
for windows button size, maybe it is not DPI the problem but the window manager theme ?
Maybe, we need custom theme...
idea : put /var/log into dedicated ramfs mountpoint
For now it's not ok, because we need logs after reboot for debug. Also - rsyslog is configured to disable sync logs in real time. After stabilizing - this is good idea.

Heiboe

May 7, 2010
Skien
Workaround for the missing dmidecode in arm devices? Im trying to make lshw work, but i cant find any sources on how to get hardware info on arm :( Thanks :D

transformador

Feb 17, 2012
How did you install paralleldroid? cant find anything on google -.-
Would be awsome to use android apps on my nexus 7 and ubuntu laptop while beeing in linux :)

Hundsbuah

Nov 2, 2012
Landshut
AW: [DEV] Native Ubuntu Linux on Infinity tf700

is there a zImage kernel file or a flashable zip file without dualboot? just the kernel for linux?
the dualboot installer doesnt offer an android kernel i want to use, so i switch between android boot and linux boot with restoring the boot partition with twrp restore.

Gesendet von meinem ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T mit Tapatalk 2

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
is there a zImage kernel file or a flashable zip file without dualboot? just the kernel for linux?
the dualboot installer doesnt offer an android kernel i want to use, so i switch between android boot and linux boot with restoring the boot partition with twrp restore.

What's your problem with the dualboot option? It runs Linux fine, so what would you gain by making a kernel without Android options? You can always remove the dualboot option from the ramdisk, or compile your own kernel.

But IMHO the final goal should be running Android and "GNU" Linux side by side on the same kernel, with some fast way to switch without needing to reboot or even flash a different kernel.

Reactions: Hundsbuah

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Developers thread for users general.

I will post here some external links and additional information.

GitHub tf700 Repository - place for config files and step-by-step manual to create you own kernel and rootfs
    GOO.IM file place
    Tablet PPA for Raring

Changed packages is placed in /root/deb directory.

Known problems: (nexus7 wiki, mattfischer blog post, nexus7 bugs)
    • Unity has some problems with performance and ram eating - this is place for optimizations.
    • In-device microSD really bad works.
    • WiFi disabling is fail bcmdhd kernel module.
    • vt1-only, if you try to switch to vt* (`chvt 2`) - your device is freezes and reboot.
    • To use unity you need nux-tools, libnux-3.8-0 and libnux-3.8-common with version 3.8.0-0ubuntu1nexus7.1 (this packages are hold)
    • Sometimes I can see really bad artifacts with fonts and background on the device screen (mostly if using chromium browser). Only reboot fixes it.

Progress list:
    • Test Linux boot {DONE}
    • SDCard rootfs {DONE}
    • Graphical boot{DONE}
    • Keyboard special keys remapping (Esc, F1-12, Ins, Print, Break, Del, Home->Alt, Search->Meta4) {DONE in 0.8.0}
    • WiFi {DONE}
    • OpenGL ES {DONE}
    • Audio {DONE} In pavucontrol as output device selected Analog Stereo Output, in alsamixer (tegra-codec) unmute IntSpk
    • Video up to 1080p {DONE} (ac100 info) - Soft audio requires gstreamer0.10-plugins-*
      • nvgstplayer --sas="audioconvert ! pulsesink" -i <videofile> - Fullscreen mode
      • nvgstplayer --svs="nvxvimagesink" --sas="audioconvert ! pulsesink" -i <videofile> - Window mode
    • Touchscreen {DONE in 0.7.0} - used mtev one-touch driver 0.1.13 with api and 2button patches - right click by push one finger and click by second finger (thanx, cb22)
    • Touchpad {DONE in 0.6.1}
      • 2 fingers scrolling {DONE}
      • 3rd mouse button by 2 finger tap {DONE 0.6.1} - created new version of package multitouch "-swaptaps"
    • Updated tegra3 drivers and codecs to 16.2 {DONE in 0.6.1}
    • Ubuntu/Android dualboot {DONE in 0.7.0}
      • Initrd bootloader trying to boot sda1(dock sd cardreader or usb device), mmcblk1p1(internal microsd cardreader), sdb1 (dock sd cardreader or usb device), mmcblk0p9(inernal device), /data/media/tf700-rootfs-linux.img(in-device installed virtual disk) (0.7.0)
      • If it can't load linux - fallback to Android (0.7.0)
      • Boot android if voldown (or special, like Up key) key pressed in menu (0.7.0)
      • Fixed nvavp problem in android (0.7.0)
      • Fixed problems with Android sleeping by unbinding vtconsole before Android boot (0.7.0)
    • Initrd installer to mmcblk0p8 user partition and mount as loop with binding mmcblk0p8 {DONE in 0.7.0}
    • Fonts and cursor size {DONE in 0.8.0}
    • ZIP installer by Aroma {partially}
      • Install of boot image {DONE in 0.7.1}
      • Install script for SDcard-way and Virtual Disk-way {DONE in 0.8.0}
      • Possibility of using mmcblk0p8 /data as /home {DONE in 0.8.0}
      • Dynamical making of boot.blob {DONE in 0.8.1}
      • Select rootfs to boot {DONE in 0.8.1}
      • CM10.1 initrd (link) {DONE in 0.8.1}
      • Android boot from sdcard or virtual drive {DONE in 0.8.1}
      • UbuntuTouch initrd {DONE in 0.8.2}
      • Change boot system names {DONE in 0.8.2}
      • Add option to boot android by default {DONE in 0.8.2}
      • Check md5 of rootfs archive
      • Encryption for linux partition
    • FSCK check & fix rootfs before mounting {DONE in 0.8.2}
    • GPIO keys {partially in 0.8.0}
    • Switch rootfs to 13.4 (link) {partially}
    • Bluetooth
      Try this: /system/bin/brcm_patchram_plus --bd_addr `cat /etc/bluetooth/bt_addr` --enable_hci --enable_lpm --no2bytes --tosleep 50000 --baudrate 4000000 --use_baudrate_for_download --patchram /lib/firmware/bcm4334.hcd --i2s=1,0,0,0 /dev/ttySAC0&
    • Totem and nvgst modules
    • Go to Wayland+Weston+libhybris to use egl android drivers
    • Disable speaker if headphones connected

Additional:

Need help:
    • Suspend to RAM - Not working with X (trace), without X (stop lightdm) - suspended, but not wake.
      1. Wakelock to emmc
      2. Wake up: echo "on" > /sys/power/state or powerbutton (maybe with kernel patching)
    • Totem - now is not working
      gstreamer-properties and set Audio->Output=Custom, Audio->Output->Pipeline="nv_omx_audiosink" and Video->Output=Custom, Video->Output->Pipeline="nvxvimagesink"
    • HDMI copy of screen (any ideas?)
      • Xorg configuration shows blue lines on HDMI screen
      • Not working properly with 1920x1080: `xrandr --output LVDS-1 --auto --output HDMI-1 --mode 1920x1080` - I get "xrandr: Configure crtc 1 failed"
      • Tested on different display with fullhd support - seems like tegra3 drivers problem
      • Works ok with 1280x800:
        xrandr --newmode `gtf 1280 800 60 | tail -n2 | head -n1 | sed 's/ Modeline //'`
        xrandr --addmode HDMI-1 1280x800_60.00
        xrandr --output LVDS-1 --auto --output HDMI-1 --auto
    • HDMI audio (any ideas?)
    • Adobe Flash player (any ideas?)
    • Skype (any ideas?)

List of optimizations:
    • ZRam {DONE}
    • UKSM (Ultra Kernel Samepage Merging) {DONE} (info in Russian)
    • CPU optimizations {partially}
      • Clemsyn OC 1.3 - 1.8ghz 650GPU Kernel {DONE in 0.6.2} - seems like not properly working on AndroidRoot hacked bootloader
    • Boot optimizations {partially}
      • Initrd scripts {DONE in 0.6.2}
      • Kernel modules upgrade from initrd {DONE in 0.7.1}
    • IO optimizations {partially}
      • Some optimizations of filesystem mounting {partially in 0.6.2}
      • Install to device main emmc memory {DONE in 0.7.0}
    • Power optimizations:
      • Screen off on lid
      • RAM Sleep
      • Powersave, Auto and Performance modes

Plans for the future:
    • Prepare common installer for any tegra3 device.

Test builds:
    • Nope

If you can help in development - please, write here.
    Hi, Guys! I'm back.
    I'm completely loose my data on my encrypted notebook by replacing luks headers :eek: , but this is not big problem (praise github! :laugh:)

Current plans till 13 Jan:
    • prepare installer into rootfs
    • switch from img to tar rootfs
    • simplify install process.
    Hey, guys!)) Happy NY!

I prepare new release with installer to main memory 8-10 Jan.
    Thanks, guys, for your desire to support development - I added the paypal button, but I do not really need the money. I do this porting mostly for myself))

Once again, Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! I left my computer for a small vacation))
    No rush or disrespect intended... Any progress?

Hmmm... Some progress:
    - Rollback to previous kernel
    - Directory replace of img files - switched to chroot and blocked by mountall upstart task
    - No progress in 13.04 - blocked by dir replace...

Earlier this week I finished a vacation that had no access to the north of the development. Also, I started another project in this now tf700 enthusiasm waned a bit.
    But I plan to complete the integration of the 13.04 until the end of July.
    Hi everyone,

I've been working on getting ArchLinuxArm running on the TF300 over at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1918849

Just something that might help with your touchscreen - you should be able to get basic functionality if you use the xf86-input-mtev driver (see https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xf86-input-mtev-meego/ )

While less than ideal, it's better than nothing. We have the same issue with X segfaulting when the evdev driver is used. I actually looked into that, and it has to do with the way events are reported by the kernel driver, if I remember correctly.