Is it just me, or...

Search This thread

sblees

Mar 19, 2010
Charleston, WV
It seems like every custom ROM (for what I can remember) gets really slow and laggy after using it for an extended amount of time. I've had my captivate for nearly 2 years and have flashed many roms and this phenomenon seems to occur on all of them I have used for more than a month or so.

I reboot my phone at least once a day, and install a minimum amount of apps.

So, is it just me?

Thanks

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

b-eock

Dec 30, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Could be your NAND or the partition on the SD for the ROM to be installed getting bad... It ins't on my phone though :D

sblees

Mar 19, 2010
Charleston, WV
In addition, I've noticed this phenomenon long ago and with a different phone (I got a couple replacements for other reasons in the past)

faroid

Aug 17, 2010
Same here, all the roms I've installed were smooth at first and start slowing down with time.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA

viny2cool

Oct 15, 2010
Jersey City, NJ
I flashed many GB roms for long time...without doing clean flash (flashing GB stock)...and my phone started lagging like **** on every GB rom out there....this is I am talking about before ICS came out...

then I completely wiped my phone...as much as it allows...then started again by flashing GB bootloader....super smooth again...

But with ICS i am not seeing that issue yet...

sblees

Mar 19, 2010
Charleston, WV
I flashed many GB roms for long time...without doing clean flash (flashing GB stock)...and my phone started lagging like **** on every GB rom out there....this is I am talking about before ICS came out...

then I completely wiped my phone...as much as it allows...then started again by flashing GB bootloader....super smooth again...

But with ICS i am not seeing that issue yet...

I didn't notice any lag for several weeks or so on ics, but it seems to start lagging eventually. I wonder if it could be that log files start to accumulate over time or something like that and slows down the phone.

DaNaRkI

Apr 28, 2011
???
I didn't notice any lag for several weeks or so on ics, but it seems to start lagging eventually. I wonder if it could be that log files start to accumulate over time or something like that and slows down the phone.

possible, but roughly how many user apps do you have/keep?

In some ROMs in the past there have been memory leaks that would cause this behavior. More often it is a poorly written app that is leaking memory but is not getting killed.
So if it's been a fairly consistent issue take a look at your most commonly used apps. If it's been a flat (across multiple ROMs) issue then consider any long standing apps.

If it helps it may even be a Linux kernel issue, cuz on my PC that runs ubuntu I see a memory leak. Tho with what is effectively 6 GB of RAM I don't run into a slow down issue for weeks.

leaked from my ICS- FUSED SGS I897 contaminating you via XDA app.

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
ics will lag if you are using glitch kernel WITHOUT having the app NStools.

i found this out the hard way. installed NStools (as recomended by glitch page) and my lag went away.

as the day went on, and i used my phone the memory would fill up and not clear as it should, i could even open an app 8 hours after last using the app and it would still be on the same page/info i left it on. the app never gets killed.

sixstringsgs does not agree that NStools affects it in such a way but personal experience says otherwise. i was ready to go back to gingerbread. now i would never consider it.

crandy2

Jun 16, 2008
Yeah I've seen this too. Using ext4 helped some. I did some tweaking on occasion, which would cause me to wipe cache and dalvic. Sometimes that seemed to speed it up.

I am now trying the Simply Stock odexed gb rom version 2.0. It has been amazingly smooth the first few days, I hope it holds up.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

b-eock

Dec 30, 2010
Dallas, Texas
I know who you were addressing. And if you read the 99% of the conversation has been about ICS ROMs (WHICH ARE BASED ON MTD file system). So EXT4,3,2 are out of the question

sblees

Mar 19, 2010
Charleston, WV
Oddly enough, a couple of days ago I manually turned off my gps and the phone seems to be behaving normally. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence out not.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    chill out b-eock he was just offering his 2 cents, and so are you.