[ROM] CyanogenMod 10.1 Stable for Nook Color

Search This thread

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
The NookieDevs are pleased to announce the CyanogenMod 10.1.3.2 stable release for the Nook Color!

As the "stable" label suggests, all major features of the hardware work and the release should be suitable for day-to-day use on your Nook Color. As the "stable" label also suggests, updates (if any) will be primarily to fix bugs -- new features and big changes should not be expected.

Highlights: (mostly not news if you've been keeping up with CM10/10.1/10.2 nightlies)
  • Linux kernel 3.0.8, plus hardware support from TI OmapZoom's android-omap3-3.0 branch and board support forward-ported from BN kernel releases.
  • All of the features of CyanogenMod 10.1, based on Android 4.2.2.
  • Full 2D and 3D graphics acceleration using the GPU.
  • Unofficial Bluetooth support, including support for a wider variety of BT peripherals than in previous releases. (The Nook Color lacks a proper Bluetooth antenna, so range will be somewhat limited.)
  • 10.1.3: significantly improved graphics performance and improved battery life over previous CM10.1 releases.
  • 10.1.3: various bug fixes, including fixes for Bluetooth tethering, Adobe Flash Player, and a nasty hardware bug affecting the internal storage of some Nook Colors.
  • 10.1.3.1: fix for a security bug reported upstream which potentially allows an attacker to obtain local root (see the dev thread for details). Thanks to Nico Golde and Fabian Yamaguchi for reporting, Ivaylo Dimitrov and Pavel Machek for working on a fix, and dhiru1602 for reporting a bug in that fix.
  • 10.1.3.2: fix crash when opening "About tablet" in Settings. Thanks to CM's Ricardo Cerqueira for the fix and the rebuild.

Known issues:
  • Current releases of Netflix do not work with CM10.1 -- version 1.8.1 is the last version known to work. If you want/need a newer release of Netflix, look into the Xposed mod, which provides a workaround for Netflix -- pastordl has done a nice writeup of the process here.
  • The CyanogenMod Updater app may crash when checking for new updates. Deleting /sdcard/cmupdater and/or clearing the app's data may help.

Download:
https://download.cyanogenmod.org/get/jenkins/51847/cm-10.1.3.2-encore.zip

Code:
MD5: 72d6978a754d5637f28f3c031367781a
SHA1: 316da5997232bb641240c2378fdaa634ce5d50eb
SHA256: b9391d37418322b1960db8edd2a738a44ac2ea12cdeb02a80628c6f95efaa67f

Source code:
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_bn_encore/tree/cm-10.1.3 (device-specific source)
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_bn_encore/tree/cm-10.1.3 (kernel)
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android/tree/cm-10.1.3 (manifest for the rest of the CyanogenMod source)
Build instructions (discussion of build issues belongs in the development thread)

This release is the product of much effort by many people over a considerable period: many thanks to fattire, keyodi, eyeballer, krylon360, dalingrin, verygreen, iomonster, nemith, cicadaman, deeper-blue, thedude, mad-murdock, j4mm3r, unforgiven512, scepterr, rebellos, ryands, kmobs, tonsofquestions, hashcode, arcee, hacdan, drmarble, mateor, dhiru1602 and many more. Thanks are also due to the CyanogenMod project, upon which we are building, and Texas Instruments, which provides excellent support for its embedded platforms to the open-source hacking community. (TI's exit from the consumer electronics SOC market is a loss for all of us.)

XDA:DevDB Information
CyanogenMod 10.1 Stable, a ROM for the Barnes & Noble Nook Color

Contributors
steven676, keyodi, fattire, The CyanogenMod Project, NookieDevs, many others (see post)
ROM OS Version: 4.2.x Jelly Bean
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 10.1.3.2
Stable Release Date: 2013-12-18

Created 2013-09-05
Last Updated 2013-12-19

Last edited:

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
Google Apps; other CyanogenMod builds

Google Apps
http://goo.im/gapps

As of 2013/10/09, the latest release for CM10.1 is 20130812, but please check the linked page for updates.

Please make sure that you have the correct Google Apps flashed before reporting problems involving the Google Apps (Play Store, Google Keyboard, etc.).

Other CyanogenMod builds

This is the thread for CM10.1 stable releases. There are other official CyanogenMod builds for Nook Color available:
  • CM11 nightly builds -- these experimental builds, based on Android 4.4, contain the latest changes to CyanogenMod and to hardware support for the Nook Color. As the name suggests, new builds are made and posted (roughly) every day; these builds are fully automatic, with no testing done before posting.
  • CM10.2 stable releases -- while the state of the Nook Color-specific hardware support should be nearly identical to that of CM10.1, you may find this Android 4.3-based release more (or less!) stable than this Android 4.2-based one.
  • Archived nightly builds for CM10.2, CM10.1, and CM10. You may find the last CM10 nightly (20130421) faster than the later releases, particularly during playback of HD 720p video.

Please check that your questions are in the appropriate thread. (If you're interested, there's lots of past discussion in those threads, as well as the development thread.)

Last edited:

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
Frequently Asked Questions and Troubleshooting

The soft keyboard keeps crashing!
The Play Store is acting up!

Did you flash the correct Google Apps?

What happened to the "Developer options" and "Performance" screens in Settings?

They're hidden by default now in CM10.1 and later. To show them, go into "About tablet" and tap the build number (for CM10.1 stable releases, JDQ39) seven times.

How do I get the Honeycomb/ICS tablet UI?

You want to use the Auto-Patcher to modify your ROM for the tablet UI. (Don't forget to thank Caldair for maintaining the Tablet UI mod, and mateorod and the rest of the Auto-Patcher developers for building that tool.)

I'm having a problem with my Nook Color running CM10.1.

That's not a question :p

Okay, I'm having a problem with my Nook Color running CM10.1 -- is there something I can do to troubleshoot?

Glad you asked! Please check the following:

• Does the problem occur with a clean install of CM10.1? This means wiping /data and not restoring a Nandroid backup afterwards. Don't restore system apps and/or their data in Titanium Backup either (user apps/data are okay).
  • Are you overclocking? If so, does the problem occur when you set the maximum clock speed to 1000 MHz or below? To be clear, we are not interested at this point in bug reports of any kind that happen if you have the maximum CPU speed set above 1000 MHz. If you're experiencing system crashes or "sleep of death" (SOD), you may also wish to try capping the CPU clock speed to 800 MHz (but if this helps, please report your problem here and fill out the hardware survey).
  • Do you have any patches, custom kernels, or other tweaks applied? If you do, does the problem occur without those applied? (We're not necessarily going to ignore bug reports from patched or tweaked systems outright, but it can make our job harder, and we do need to know what changes you have applied to judge whether or not the change might be relevant to your problem.)

I'm having no luck with the suggestions above. What information should I include with my bug report?

When reporting a problem, please include the following information if at all possible:
  • Full description of the problem -- "it crashes" doesn't count. How do you trigger the problem (or does it occur by itself)? What exactly happens when the problem occurs? How often does it happen?
  • For problems with apps or specific pieces of the system software: we'll almost certainly ask for a logcat of the event, so you'll save everyone some time by including it.
  • For problems involving system freezes, crashes, or SOD: if you can connect to the tablet via adb while it's "unresponsive", please provide dmesg and logcat output from that time. If you cannot, try power-cycling it while it's still plugged into USB, and provide dmesg output from immediately after the reboot, plus the contents of /proc/last_kmsg if that file exists (let us know if it doesn't).
  • For unexpected reboots: provide the contents of /proc/last_kmsg from after the reboot.

Last edited:

webyrd

May 4, 2011
Florida
Congrats and thanks again Steven and the other NookieDevs, this is running very well, at least on my NC, somehow seems a little more responsive/smoother (especially when background apps/downloads are running - new WiFi tweak?) than the recent nightlies/RC's. Great job, but, there is a new nightly calling, or I've sort of been wanting to try Mateorod's AOSP, besides, my schedule is beginning to settle back down enough that I will probably try to increase my "Android Ninja" experience, so I probably won't be stable long. Keep up the great work, glad to hear that you will still be tweaking it.

Question, are your latest WiFi and/or Graphics tweaks merged yet?

andy1001

Apr 25, 2008
NC crashing hard with clean CM10.1 install

Hi,

great to see CM10.1 on NC. I have just made a clean install on my Nook and generally impressed. Unfortunately my Nook started crashing hard, something that I never experienced before :( It seems to be correlated with Gallery application, I can reproduce crash only after I open Gallery and then return to home page. Here is what happens:
  • open Gallery, look at one or few pictures
  • go back to Home
  • wait a bit, one minute or so, maybe go to other app or settings
  • screen goes blank, navigation buttons and status bar are still visible but display area gets dark
  • no response to touch or nook button
  • after ~30 seconds Nook reboots

I managed to catch dmesg output right before reboot, attaching it here, there are two files in archive, first is dmesg output before I run gallery, second is dmesg right before it reboots. Logcat and /proc/last_kmsg are also in the archive. I could get more info if anybody wants to look at it and can tell me how to get it.

I ran CM7.2 on the same device for quite some time and had no troubles with that. CM10.1 install is from final, wiped both data and cache, no google apps installed yet, no other apps restored, virgin clean :angel: No overclocking, and no other settings changed, no patches.

Thanks,
Andy

Attachments

• crash-logs.zip
    118.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

olenchenko

Feb 23, 2011
Hi,

great to see CM10.1 on NC. I have just made a clean install on my Nook and generally impressed. Unfortunately my Nook started crashing hard, something that I never experienced before :( It seems to be correlated with Gallery application, I can reproduce crash only after I open Gallery and then return to home page. Here is what happens:
  • open Gallery, look at one of few pictures
  • go back to Home
  • wait a bit, one minute or so, maybe go to other app or settings
  • screen goes blank, navigation buttons and status bar are still visible but display area gets dark
  • no response to touch or nook button
  • after ~30 seconds Nook reboots

I managed to catch dmesg output right before reboot, attaching it here, there are two files in archive, first is dmesg output before I run gallery, second is dmesg right before it reboots. Logcat and /proc/last_kmsg are also in the archive. I could get more info if anybody wants to look at it and can tell me how to get it.

I ran CM7.2 on the same device for quite some time and had no troubles with that. CM10.1 install is from final, wiped both data and cache, no google apps installed yet, no other apps restored, virgin clean :angel: No overclocking, and no other settings changed, no patches.

Thanks,
Andy

I can confirm this - I have been experiencing this for a long time now but since nobody else mentioned it I thought it could be just me (although I was doing clean installs). So this problem really exists.

Reactions: hamed2uta2

webyrd

May 4, 2011
Florida
I cannot reproduce this, but I flash the Picassa compatible gallery app - gapps-jb-picasa-20121011-signed.zip - after GAPPS

steven676

Nov 24, 2011

Mmm, that's pretty spectacular -- the system basically runs out of memory and the kernel goes nuts killing things to try to keep the system alive. It looks like the 720p video codec is eating the memory, and I believe we tracked that one down to the same root cause as the Flash issues. Can you try a CM10.1 nightly from June 25 or later (EDIT: or flash the patch in the next post on top of your existing CM10.1 install) and see if the problem still happens? (That reminds me, I promised to respin the binary patch for CM10.1 stable ... I should really do that when I get a minute.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Maverik18

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
Patch for 720p codec issues (Flash, video thumbnailing)

As promised, here's the patch fixing Flash, video thumbnailing in the Gallery app, and potentially other 720p video codec issues for the CM10.1 stable release series. (The previous one I posted works as well, but is missing a couple of other potentially useful bugfixes in libstagefright.)

Usage: flash the attached ZIP file over your CM10.1 build from recovery. CM10 users: do not flash this -- use the patch in this post instead. Note that if you're on the CM10.1 nightlies, this patch was merged and should be included in builds starting from June 25.

(Source code: https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_frameworks_av/tree/cm-10.1.0/media/libstagefright with https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_frameworks_av/commit/c58721cbdcbfc46f550954a1c258d9b0529e4d81 applied on top.)

Attachments

• libstagefright-omxcodec-patch-for-cm-10.1.0-encore.zip
    607.4 KB · Views: 3,641
Last edited:

mateorod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
As promised, here's the patch fixing Flash, video thumbnailing in the Gallery app, and potentially other 720p video codec for the CM10.1.0 stable release. (The previous one I posted works as well, but is missing a couple of other potentially useful bugfixes in libstagefright.)

Usage: flash the attached ZIP file over your CM10.1 build from recovery. CM10 users: do not flash this -- use the patch in this post instead. Note that if you're on the CM10.1 nightlies, this patch was merged and should be included in builds starting from June 25.

(Source code: https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_frameworks_av/tree/cm-10.1.0/media/libstagefright with https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_frameworks_av/commit/c58721cbdcbfc46f550954a1c258d9b0529e4d81 applied on top.)

It is really a damn shame we got that merged just after 10.1 Final was sent to the servers.

Reactions: meteorrock

andy1001

Apr 25, 2008
Mmm, that's pretty spectacular -- the system basically runs out of memory and the kernel goes nuts killing things to try to keep the system alive. It looks like the 720p video codec is eating the memory, and I believe we tracked that one down to the same root cause as the Flash issues. Can you try a CM10.1 nightly from June 25 or later (EDIT: or flash the patch in the next post on top of your existing CM10.1 install) and see if the problem still happens? (That reminds me, I promised to respin the binary patch for CM10.1 stable ... I should really do that when I get a minute.)

I have tested both cm-10.1-20130627-NIGHTLY-encore.zip and final CM10.1 with your patch libstagefright-omxcodec-patch-for-cm-10.1.0-encore.zip, they both seems to be working OK, I could not make them crash in the same way as unpatched CM10.1 does :victory: Thanks a lot for the fix, much obliged!

Andy

mhzrus

Jun 10, 2013
Still having issues with the nook color.

Check the dmesg file for Cm10.1 stable.

Attachments

• 10s.zip
    8.8 KB · Views: 255

mhzrus

Jun 10, 2013
Still having issues with the nook color.

Check the dmesg file for Cm10.1 stable.

This is what I encounter with Nook Color CM 10.1.2 stable version.

CMUpdater cannot download new Nightly!!!

Battery went flat no indicator.

Wifi issues, network error! For Nothing!

Touch Screen still having issues. The left hand side and right hand side of the screen cannot response to any touches! (About 2 inches thick!)

I come to know that there is issues with Nook Color Touch screen.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1385896

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
CM10.1.2

A quick heads-up: CM10.1.2 was released last week (check the links in the first post), including important security fixes. (The Flash fix didn't go in and looks unlikely to go into the 10.1 stable series at this point -- you'll have to continue flashing the patch above for now.)

eltrkbrd

Jan 11, 2008
cm-10.1.2-encore stable vs nightly - Patch for 720p codec issues?

A quick heads-up: CM10.1.2 was released last week (check the links in the first post), including important security fixes. (The Flash fix didn't go in and looks unlikely to go into the 10.1 stable series at this point -- you'll have to continue flashing the patch above for now.)

Thanks for that info steven676; so that patch will work for cm-10.1.2-encore stable?

What's the easiest way to tell if the patch is or isn't working on my NC?

Lastly, is it necessary or included with any of latests cm-10.1.2-encore nightlies?

:good:

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
Thanks for that info steven676; so that patch will work for cm-10.1.2-encore stable?

Yes, it'll work for CM 10.1.2 stable (or any other CM10.1 release).

What's the easiest way to tell if the patch is or isn't working on my NC?

Install Flash, enable plugins in the browser, then open Flash Player Settings -- if the bug is still present, the page will lock up and you'll eventually be prompted to kill the tab.

Lastly, is it necessary or included with any of latests cm-10.1.2-encore nightlies?

As noted in the post with the patch, the fix should be included in CM10.1 nightlies starting with the June 25 build.

Reactions: MrPib and eltrkbrd

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The NookieDevs are pleased to announce the CyanogenMod 10.1.3.2 stable release for the Nook Color!

As the "stable" label suggests, all major features of the hardware work and the release should be suitable for day-to-day use on your Nook Color. As the "stable" label also suggests, updates (if any) will be primarily to fix bugs -- new features and big changes should not be expected.

Highlights: (mostly not news if you've been keeping up with CM10/10.1/10.2 nightlies)
    • Linux kernel 3.0.8, plus hardware support from TI OmapZoom's android-omap3-3.0 branch and board support forward-ported from BN kernel releases.
    • All of the features of CyanogenMod 10.1, based on Android 4.2.2.
    • Full 2D and 3D graphics acceleration using the GPU.
    • Unofficial Bluetooth support, including support for a wider variety of BT peripherals than in previous releases. (The Nook Color lacks a proper Bluetooth antenna, so range will be somewhat limited.)
    • 10.1.3: significantly improved graphics performance and improved battery life over previous CM10.1 releases.
    • 10.1.3: various bug fixes, including fixes for Bluetooth tethering, Adobe Flash Player, and a nasty hardware bug affecting the internal storage of some Nook Colors.
    • 10.1.3.1: fix for a security bug reported upstream which potentially allows an attacker to obtain local root (see the dev thread for details). Thanks to Nico Golde and Fabian Yamaguchi for reporting, Ivaylo Dimitrov and Pavel Machek for working on a fix, and dhiru1602 for reporting a bug in that fix.
    • 10.1.3.2: fix crash when opening "About tablet" in Settings. Thanks to CM's Ricardo Cerqueira for the fix and the rebuild.

Known issues:
    • Current releases of Netflix do not work with CM10.1 -- version 1.8.1 is the last version known to work. If you want/need a newer release of Netflix, look into the Xposed mod, which provides a workaround for Netflix -- pastordl has done a nice writeup of the process here.
    • The CyanogenMod Updater app may crash when checking for new updates. Deleting /sdcard/cmupdater and/or clearing the app's data may help.

Download:
    https://download.cyanogenmod.org/get/jenkins/51847/cm-10.1.3.2-encore.zip

Code:
    MD5: 72d6978a754d5637f28f3c031367781a
    SHA1: 316da5997232bb641240c2378fdaa634ce5d50eb
    SHA256: b9391d37418322b1960db8edd2a738a44ac2ea12cdeb02a80628c6f95efaa67f

Source code:
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_bn_encore/tree/cm-10.1.3 (device-specific source)
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_bn_encore/tree/cm-10.1.3 (kernel)
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android/tree/cm-10.1.3 (manifest for the rest of the CyanogenMod source)
    Build instructions (discussion of build issues belongs in the development thread)

This release is the product of much effort by many people over a considerable period: many thanks to fattire, keyodi, eyeballer, krylon360, dalingrin, verygreen, iomonster, nemith, cicadaman, deeper-blue, thedude, mad-murdock, j4mm3r, unforgiven512, scepterr, rebellos, ryands, kmobs, tonsofquestions, hashcode, arcee, hacdan, drmarble, mateor, dhiru1602 and many more. Thanks are also due to the CyanogenMod project, upon which we are building, and Texas Instruments, which provides excellent support for its embedded platforms to the open-source hacking community. (TI's exit from the consumer electronics SOC market is a loss for all of us.)

XDA:DevDB Information
    CyanogenMod 10.1 Stable, a ROM for the Barnes & Noble Nook Color

Contributors
    steven676, keyodi, fattire, The CyanogenMod Project, NookieDevs, many others (see post)
    ROM OS Version: 4.2.x Jelly Bean
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
    Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 10.1.3.2
    Stable Release Date: 2013-12-18

Created 2013-09-05
    Last Updated 2013-12-19
    A belated CM10.1.3 release announcement

As you've undoubtedly noticed (and perhaps forgotten about) by now, we have a CyanogenMod 10.1.3 stable release available at the usual location: http://get.cm/?device=encore&type=stable. This is perhaps a larger release than I would have elected to push as a point release, but I don't drive CM releases, and the result for you is that CM10.1.3 is essentially fully caught up with all the remaining development on the CM10.1 branch. For Nook Color, the notable changes include:

• Kernel-level workarounds for a nasty eMMC firmware bug affecting some late-model Nook Colors -- if you don't have a fixed kernel (such as the one I posted upthread) installed already, upgrade NOW!
    • Various optimizations in the graphics stack, which should result in much-improved performance over earlier CM10.1 releases.
    • Better battery life, particularly during sleep and screen-off usage (such as music playing).
    • A fix in the HW-accelerated video stack allowing some applications, including Adobe Flash Player, to work with the TI OMAP3 720p video decoder.
    • A fix for allowing the Nook Color to use another device's Internet uplink via Bluetooth.
    • Allow custom home screen grid sizes in the Trebuchet launcher (thanks drmarble).
    • Fix a file descriptor leak in the accelerometer HAL which was causing SODs after some period of uptime (thanks webyrd for reporting).
    • Remove debugging symbols from the shipped WLAN drivers, reducing the download size by about 5 MB.

This release represents the end of active development on CM10.1 -- future efforts will focus on ROMs based on Android 4.3 and later. I doubt there will ever be another full release from the CM10.1 branch, but any important bugfixes will be distributed as patches on top of the 10.1.3 release. (I do intend to do a rollup "service pack" on top of CM10 backporting the device-specific parts of 10.1.3 to that branch, but that will be the end of the line for that branch as well.)

My sincere apologies for the lateness of this announcement -- it's been a roller-coaster few weeks for me personally and I haven't had time to attend to Android-related stuff.
    Google Apps; other CyanogenMod builds

Google Apps
    http://goo.im/gapps

As of 2013/10/09, the latest release for CM10.1 is 20130812, but please check the linked page for updates.

Please make sure that you have the correct Google Apps flashed before reporting problems involving the Google Apps (Play Store, Google Keyboard, etc.).

Other CyanogenMod builds

This is the thread for CM10.1 stable releases. There are other official CyanogenMod builds for Nook Color available:
    • CM11 nightly builds -- these experimental builds, based on Android 4.4, contain the latest changes to CyanogenMod and to hardware support for the Nook Color. As the name suggests, new builds are made and posted (roughly) every day; these builds are fully automatic, with no testing done before posting.
    • CM10.2 stable releases -- while the state of the Nook Color-specific hardware support should be nearly identical to that of CM10.1, you may find this Android 4.3-based release more (or less!) stable than this Android 4.2-based one.
    • Archived nightly builds for CM10.2, CM10.1, and CM10. You may find the last CM10 nightly (20130421) faster than the later releases, particularly during playback of HD 720p video.

Please check that your questions are in the appropriate thread. (If you're interested, there's lots of past discussion in those threads, as well as the development thread.)
    Patch for 720p codec issues (Flash, video thumbnailing)

As promised, here's the patch fixing Flash, video thumbnailing in the Gallery app, and potentially other 720p video codec issues for the CM10.1 stable release series. (The previous one I posted works as well, but is missing a couple of other potentially useful bugfixes in libstagefright.)

Knock it Off Please

Ok, seen enough off topic posting about OC Kernel this.... OC Kernel that..... And to toss in some trolling to boot!

Keep the topic to the ROM at hand. You wanna wank about a better OC kernel, take it to General, or build it yourself.

Don't make me come back and clean the thread again or we know what that outcome will be :mad:

Thread is cleaned of the OT stuff, including replies.

Carry on.

MD