Cheapest (but usable) Android Phone?

Search This thread

KaTXi

Aug 20, 2007
Hi guys.

I'm developing an app for Android that I need to start testing in "the real deal".
Can you recommend a cheap Android phone (I don't mind getting bulky Chinese clones, as long as they work) that is good for development purposes?

By the way, I'm in Spain, so it would be better if I could buy it online and unlocked

Last edited:

Wii60

Jun 25, 2009
I'd say G1. It's the original dev phone can be had on the cheap from T-Mobile.

juppmapice

May 6, 2009
G1 totally. T-Mobile is selling them "as low as 129.99" with a data plan. I got mine at eBay last month for 200$.

DavidMc0

Oct 5, 2007
Glasgow
I got a brand new T-mobile pulse on a special offer from T-mobile and it cost only £91 (around €80) + £10 topup (and I get £15 cash back if I use the sim for 3 months).

So it's worth keeping your eyes open for deals like these. You can grab them on ebay cheap too.

jcarrz1

Retired Recognized Developer
May 26, 2009
scienceprousa.com
go for a vogue. this is a windows mobile phone, but if you look in the forum for this phone here, its 99% android because it runs android so well. this is cheaper than the g1 and is made by htc.. better than chinese crap any day.

tbaker077

Jan 17, 2009
California
What about the HTC Tattoo, granted the screen resistive unlike the rest of HTC Android line up, which is captive screen. It is still a good device from what I read and it should be fairly cheap.

mrandroid

Jun 25, 2009
Miami
www.darklome.com
I just picked up a Blackberry 9700 ($75) and then I got the Behold II ($120) from one of those tmobile lil places at the mall (not the official tmobile store).

This was all because my wife traded in her old Blackberry 8320 and they'll give you 2 phones for it... (The deal is a 9700 for $75 and then a free 8520, but i hate blackberry's or WM phones after having an android phone) so she got her crappy blackberry and I picked up the Behold II. Love the fact that it has 320MB RAM. As soon as we can try custom firmwares, etc, i'm going to give Debian Linux a try on it.

Behold II is already rooted with Busy Box installed on it.

MoreGone

Jan 21, 2008
Check Spains Craigslist, I know they have it cause I used it last time I was there

Not really sure how you say android in Espana but its worth a shot. Of course, you could check other areas but likely going to think you are a nigerian scammer or something. I have seen G1's on there for $125 USD locally

http://barcelona.es.craigslist.es/