[Q] Maps Latitude doesn't work within Jelly Bean

Search This thread

McDV

May 26, 2008
Hi!

I'm having the problem that in Jelly Bean now maps doesn't show any Latitude-friends. It says there were no friends.

I first thought this was because now I've changed my GMail domain (in Germany it first was googlemail.com and now you could switch to gmail.com), but on my Xoom running ICS and the latest maps it works all right. It's just on my GN, where it doesn't work.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or does s.o. have an idea how to fix it?

Regards
McDV

Reactions: dextroz

carloscarvalho

Oct 16, 2011
Brasília
Just wait for the official release of JB, this version is not the last build of JB and will be very "unstable".... Why dont you guys doenst just wait ????

McDV

May 26, 2008
Fix for Latitude

Delete the APK /System/App/maps.apk and redownload from the market. I can now see all my latitude friends.
I will try that. :)

Just wait for the official release of JB, this version is not the last build of JB and will be very "unstable".... Why dont you guys doenst just wait ????
Why should we?
1) I generally use CM9-nightlies, so why not this?
2) It surely is not very unstable, instead, it's pretty stable. Think about it: They want to release the official version in mid july! What do you think how much they can fix until then? There might be single small bugs left, but if the system could still be considered "unstable", they wouldn't release it before fall! And they wouldn't hand out a firmware to the press, if it wasn't - over all - finish. Just imagine what the Apple-community would write in their blogs...

Reactions: paramnesya

McDV

May 26, 2008
Fix for Latitude

Delete the APK /System/App/maps.apk and redownload from the market. I can now see all my latitude friends.
That worked, thanks :)

I don't care if they flash now. Just don't complain when stuff doesn't work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
No one complains, we just ask for solutions that - obviously - exist. There's nothing wrong about it.

I really hate those guys with their "just wait for the official release" stuff. No one prevents you guys from waiting, but please let us enthusiasts test it and let us discuss ways to solve existing bugs on our own. If this annoys you, just don't read it! Thanks!

laur3n.newm4n

Dec 21, 2010
Manchester, NH
Glad I searched XDA for this problem - the fix worked for me too. I'm impressed with how stable the leak is already. This has been my only problem so far with native Google apps, or the ROM itself.

dextroz

Jan 14, 2010
Probably a dumb question but how do u delete maps.apk. My explorer apps will not delete it?

How in Tarnations did you manage to install Jelly Bean, if you can't figure out that you need to be rooted to do that?

Protip: I would save/backup the apk somewhere else instead of deleting it so that I can replace it when the final JB update rolls out. This way, nothing gets borked.

JaiaV

Feb 24, 2011

Why should we?
2) It surely is not very unstable, instead, it's pretty stable. Think about it: They want to release the official version in mid july! What do you think how much they can fix until then? There might be single small bugs left, but if the system could still be considered "unstable", they wouldn't release it before fall! And they wouldn't hand out a firmware to the press, if it wasn't - over all - finish. Just imagine what the Apple-community would write in their blogs...

Just to respond to the CM9, 4.1 releasing in two-ish weeks so how could many updates occur and the Apple bit:

You say you use CM9 nightlies? Have you noticed just how many bug fixes the CM team can apply in one night? I've seen dozens, and occasionally around 100 bug fixes in a single evening. The CM team is a group (an admittedly large group for independent developers) of people who code for CM on their spare time and are not paid for their work. Imagine what a legion of official Android developers paid by Google for their work on Android could accomplish with bug fixes in a matter of a fortnight! Also, Apple releases developer previews of iOS every single year that are ALSO filled with huge bugs, broken and/or missing features, all the way up to a week or two prior to official release (and sometimes those bugs make it into multiple official releases). The reason you don't hear about the iOS bugs so much is that you have to pay for a developer's license for iOS in order to install most iOS developer previews (unless there is a workaround). In this case, 6,000 Galaxy Nexus and 6,000 Nexus 7's were given to 6,000 developers to preview the software so that they could start getting their applications ready for release. This 'release' was never intended for the end user and was probably already out of date compared to Google's internal builds by the time it came out to those 6,000 folks.

If you want to test it out too, that's awesome! However, it is completely pointless to complain about problems with software that hasn't even been officially released yet and you were never intended to be running to begin with. Also, all non-GSM Galaxy Nexus ROMs are ports and have added bugs as well. The Jelly Bean preview is largely stable and already an excellent update. I just wish Google had held onto it for the full release as users are using the preview's bugs (Google has already stated they are working on bugs they know are in the preview, and some have already been fixed) as an example of exactly what the official release will be like already.

Last edited:

McDV

May 26, 2008
If you want to test it out too, that's awesome! However, it is completely pointless to complain about problems with software that hasn't even been officially released yet and you were never intended to be running to begin with.

I ask you once again: Who complained about a bug??? Please tell me! No one did! There is just a question of how to cope with an existing bug or how to fix it on our own, but not even one person in this thread complained about the release not being bugless! The only one complaining about things is you, but your complains are totally off-topic. I hope you got it now!

Reactions: paramnesya

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fix for Latitude

Fix for Latitude

That worked, thanks :)

I don't care if they flash now. Just don't complain when stuff doesn't work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
    No one complains, we just ask for solutions that - obviously - exist. There's nothing wrong about it.

I really hate those guys with their "just wait for the official release" stuff. No one prevents you guys from waiting, but please let us enthusiasts test it and let us discuss ways to solve existing bugs on our own. If this annoys you, just don't read it! Thanks!
    Hi!

I'm having the problem that in Jelly Bean now maps doesn't show any Latitude-friends. It says there were no friends.

I first thought this was because now I've changed my GMail domain (in Germany it first was googlemail.com and now you could switch to gmail.com), but on my Xoom running ICS and the latest maps it works all right. It's just on my GN, where it doesn't work.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or does s.o. have an idea how to fix it?

Regards
    McDV
    Fix for Latitude

Why should we?
    Fix for Latitude

This works. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2