[TUTORIAL] How to create and install android bootanimations from scratch

Search This thread

<JohnCarter>

Jun 1, 2012
Ranchi
How to create and install android bootanimations from scratch

This is a guide which tells you how to make a your very own bootanimation and install a bootanimation on your device.
Please let me know if you made a bootanimation using this method so that every bootanimation made using this method can be posted here

Code:
#This guide assumes that you are windows user and have - 
  1- 7 zip or winrar installed
  2- a image editing software (for ex-photoshop)  #

Bootanimation- what is it ?

Bootanimation basically is a collection of .png pictures that are projected on the screen one after the other quickly so that it looks like a animation , stored in a zip file

Prerequisites

1-you need a bootanimation.zip file [you can find them on google]

now if you have downloaded the bootanimation.zip file ,open it up

2- as you can see in the picture you find some folders in it named
Code:
"part0"    "part1"    "part2"
and a desc.txt file .

d17e80fd.png

EXPLANATIONS
folders like part0;part1,etc. STORE .png pictures of bootnaimation
the desc.txt file contains all the necessary info to run bootanimation like resolution fps ,etc

EXPLANATION OF desc.txt

2cfbc55c.png

Code:
As you can see in the image
   #1-it is the resolution of the bootanimation(you should basically use your device's resolution for ex - in the pic it is 320X480)
   #2-it is the fps(frames per second) of your bootanimation [higher the no. faster will your bootanimation play [B]a standard fps should be 30[/B]]
   #3-these are the folders which contain images for your bootanimation
   #4-it is a pointer to tell it to look at new commands
   #5-specifies the no. of times this section of bootanimation will play ( 0 means infinite)
   #6-defines pause in seconds before repeating or moving on next line (o means no pause 10 means 10 sec pause)

Fire it up el captain !!

we'll start making a bootanimation from scratch from here

#1-create a folder anywhere put in desktop for ease,let's call it
Code:
bootanimation

#2-open the folder and create another folder name it
Code:
part0

#3- With part0 created, it's time for you to start creating an image. To make it simple for beginning we'll make a simple one .So, using Photoshop as an example, create a new image which is the resolution of your handset. [like if ur on htc explorer use 320X480 or galaxy mini use 340X320] (if u don't know your device's resolution google it

#4-Give a black background to the image and take a image you wan't to fade in . paste it as a new layer and set the layer to 0% opacity
so now you can only see a black background.

#5-now save the image in your
Code:
part0 folder
and name it
Code:
image00.png

#6-now increase the opacity of your bootanimation by a narrow degree say 6%.now save it as
Code:
image002.png
in the part0 folder

#7-repeat step 5 every time until you reach 100%.and each time save it as image003-image004 etc. in part0 folder

#8-open notepad and type this --
Code:
[B][COLOR="Blue"]
1080 240 24
p 1 60 part0
c 1 0 part1
c 0 0 part2

c means that the entire part of the animation (eg part2) will be played even if bootup completes.[/COLOR][/B]

Code:
[B]change[/B] the 1080 240 with the resolution you are using

Thanks to @cisza for this info.. [images will be updated soon ]

#9- save it as :
Code:
desc.txt
in the root of your bootanimation folder (not in part0)

#10- compress it using your archive manager say 7zip ;winrar,etc.
imp: SET COMPRESSION METHOD TO STORE
or else bootanimation WON'T work

p1_zpsugp31kmt.png

p2_zpsdp0malu2.png

congrats u just made a boot animation... and remember to share with us your bootanimation ;)

You can also use boot animation factory by RD despotovski01 It may help you with debugging and previewing and also creating bootanimations ;)

Installing bootanimations

To install your bootanimation just use root explorer to put it in system/media folder
if using htc stock rom put it in system/customize/resources folder (make sure to rename it the bootanimation.zip to htc_bootup.zip )

Last edited:

stepie22

Oct 2, 2012
What did I do wrong??

It just shows a black screen and sometimes doesn't even finish booting, so I have to delete it from recovery.

EDIT: Nevermind it workes now??????

Last edited:

B@nana12

Nov 10, 2012
Thank you for the instructions. At first I couldn't get it to work but then I noticed that some of my *.png files were saved in uppercase, changed to lower, worked without a hitch. Great job :good:

Glad to be rid of the vodafone boot and exit animation. btw - on my Huawei g300 the shutdown animation can be changed using the exact same bootanimation.zip file, just need to change the name to shutdownanimation.zip and copy it the same /system/media folder.

Reactions: espenfox

misbah711

Oct 25, 2011
thanks

thanks alot for this....

1-made a 480x800 video,
2-used video to photo converter (# of frames selected)
3-used irfanview to rename them to image###
4-created the folder.(part0)
5-desc.txt
6- used root explorer to paste that zip to resources folder in system...

worked like a charm....:)

robpenn7

Jan 1, 2013
m not gettin compression method "store" in 7 zip... :confused:

I found "store" in compression level instead of method.

I was doing this for maybe an hour and a half wondering what I did wrong. I decided that I was ziping it wrong, couldn't figure out how to make winzip (I suspect that was my problem) do a "store" zip, and just decided to download 7zip. When I used 7zip and changed the compression level to "store," it worked like a charm. A charm that works really well.

Mikesblade

Dec 31, 2012
Not sure what I am doing wrong!!!

Hi, my first post!

I really not sure what I'm doing wrong here...
Few facts:
Phone: ZTE Blade (San Fancisco), o2, rooted
On Windows 7 using: Photoshop, irfanview, 7zip.(also tried using SDFormatter, no joy)
On Android using: cm-10-20121124-KonstaKANG, ES File Explorer (root)

I tried to make my own boot Animation

I copied the "bootanimation.zip" file from the "cm-10-20121124-KonstaKANG-blade.zip" which was already installed

I then changed the first 3 images and as far as i can tell kept them the same size etc:. but they are larger on disk now.
I re-zipped (using store) and copied to sd card then copied as above guide to System/media

When I reboot, I get the basic android text while waiting to come to system... I must admit is quite quick to get there.
Also when i get to system (lock screen) I have garbled text or line in the status bar at the top and no unlock screen for quite a while! I put the 2 together as I never got this before playing with boot screen! (This also happens at times, seemingly at random, when coming from sleep).

I will reformat soon so not too much of a problem, but I really would like to produce a boot screen for my phone and all guides I have seen tell me I am doing nothing wrong.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited:

ParrSt

Apr 23, 2011
Euless
Utilities to convert

Can anyone recommend, free/freeware programs to convert video to .png files. Also a program to batch crop/resize would be helpful too.

DavDoc

Thanks for this.

Mine looks a little wonky but it worked on my HTC Droid Inc. 4G

Had some sequential pics of my daughter. Manipulated them to the correct dimensions and converted them to .png using Gimp 2.6

Was pretty easy outside of the time it took to mess with the pictures.

delevic

Dec 8, 2010
Belgrade
Hi,

I just replaced bootanimation.zip file in system/media , and now I got Android boot from nowhere :) . Now I can not get him out. I flashed omega boot , but nothing... What to do ?

fullcourtpress9

Feb 6, 2013
Re: [TUTORIAL] How to make and install android bootanimations

Cool tutorial, gonna try this out tomorrow. I've always used Rom Toolbox to download boot animations; it'll be cool to make my own!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.

rishabh.raj37

Jul 29, 2012
Ranchi
techxtras.com
Re: [TUTORIAL] How to make and install android bootanimations

Hi,

I just replaced bootanimation.zip file in system/media , and now I got Android boot from nowhere :) . Now I can not get him out. I flashed omega boot , but nothing... What to do ?

Change the permission of the bootanimation.zip to rw-r--r-- using root explorer.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to create and install android bootanimations from scratch

This is a guide which tells you how to make a your very own bootanimation and install a bootanimation on your device.
    Please let me know if you made a bootanimation using this method so that every bootanimation made using this method can be posted here

Code:
    #This guide assumes that you are windows user and have - 
      1- 7 zip or winrar installed
      2- a image editing software (for ex-photoshop)  #

Bootanimation- what is it ?

Bootanimation basically is a collection of .png pictures that are projected on the screen one after the other quickly so that it looks like a animation , stored in a zip file

Prerequisites

1-you need a bootanimation.zip file [you can find them on google]

now if you have downloaded the bootanimation.zip file ,open it up

2- as you can see in the picture you find some folders in it named
    Code:
    "part0"    "part1"    "part2"
    and a desc.txt file .

d17e80fd.png

EXPLANATIONS
    folders like part0;part1,etc. STORE .png pictures of bootnaimation
    the desc.txt file contains all the necessary info to run bootanimation like resolution fps ,etc

EXPLANATION OF desc.txt

2cfbc55c.png

Code:
    As you can see in the image
       #1-it is the resolution of the bootanimation(you should basically use your device's resolution for ex - in the pic it is 320X480)
       #2-it is the fps(frames per second) of your bootanimation [higher the no. faster will your bootanimation play [B]a standard fps should be 30[/B]]
       #3-these are the folders which contain images for your bootanimation
       #4-it is a pointer to tell it to look at new commands
       #5-specifies the no. of times this section of bootanimation will play ( 0 means infinite)
       #6-defines pause in seconds before repeating or moving on next line (o means no pause 10 means 10 sec pause)

Fire it up el captain !!

we'll start making a bootanimation from scratch from here

#1-create a folder anywhere put in desktop for ease,let's call it
    Code:
    bootanimation

#2-open the folder and create another folder name it
    Code:
    part0

#3- With part0 created, it's time for you to start creating an image. To make it simple for beginning we'll make a simple one .So, using Photoshop as an example, create a new image which is the resolution of your handset. [like if ur on htc explorer use 320X480 or galaxy mini use 340X320] (if u don't know your device's resolution google it

#4-Give a black background to the image and take a image you wan't to fade in . paste it as a new layer and set the layer to 0% opacity
    so now you can only see a black background.

#5-now save the image in your
    Code:
    part0 folder
    and name it
    Code:
    image00.png

#6-now increase the opacity of your bootanimation by a narrow degree say 6%.now save it as
    Code:
    image002.png
    in the part0 folder

#7-repeat step 5 every time until you reach 100%.and each time save it as image003-image004 etc. in part0 folder

#8-open notepad and type this --
    Code:
    [B][COLOR="Blue"]
    1080 240 24
    p 1 60 part0
    c 1 0 part1
    c 0 0 part2

c means that the entire part of the animation (eg part2) will be played even if bootup completes.[/COLOR][/B]

Code:
    [B]change[/B] the 1080 240 with the resolution you are using

Thanks to @cisza for this info.. [images will be updated soon ]

#9- save it as :
    Code:
    desc.txt
    in the root of your bootanimation folder (not in part0)

#10- compress it using your archive manager say 7zip ;winrar,etc.
    imp: SET COMPRESSION METHOD TO STORE
    or else bootanimation WON'T work

p1_zpsugp31kmt.png

p2_zpsdp0malu2.png

congrats u just made a boot animation... and remember to share with us your bootanimation ;)

You can also use boot animation factory by RD despotovski01 It may help you with debugging and previewing and also creating bootanimations ;)

Installing bootanimations

To install your bootanimation just use root explorer to put it in system/media folder
    if using htc stock rom put it in system/customize/resources folder (make sure to rename it the bootanimation.zip to htc_bootup.zip )
    thanks

thanks alot for this....

1-made a 480x800 video,
    2-used video to photo converter (# of frames selected)
    3-used irfanview to rename them to image###
    4-created the folder.(part0)
    5-desc.txt
    6- used root explorer to paste that zip to resources folder in system...

worked like a charm....:)
    Thanks for the tutorial. I'll try it soon.
    What did I do wrong??

It just shows a black screen and sometimes doesn't even finish booting, so I have to delete it from recovery.

EDIT: Nevermind it workes now??????

m not gettin compression method "store" in 7 zip... :confused: