Froyo Manual Installation Tutorial for Beginner

Search This thread

Shakkha

Oct 28, 2009
Thank you very very much.
All is clear to me now!

My Omnia only has 2Gb on "my storage" but I think I'll split internal SD into 2 partition (1st: 500Mb FAT32 for Windows Mobile and th other one 1.5Gb EXT4 for Android)...

And as we say in France (I'm French):
1000 merci !!

l3ong91

May 26, 2010
Singapore
Thank you very very much.
All is clear to me now!

My Omnia only has 2Gb on "my storage" but I think I'll split internal SD into 2 partition (1st: 500Mb FAT32 for Windows Mobile and th other one 1.5Gb EXT4 for Android)...

And as we say in France (I'm French):
1000 merci !!

Glad that you understood it finally, wish you success in porting Android to your 2GB Omnia 2.

ilovecicilia

Jan 13, 2011
need help!!

i've installed android before with sd card method and then i want to try your method..
i've clear all partition on my phone with minitool (just like your advise before) and then i've made new partition in my storage with minitool (primary FAT32 and i also try logical FAT32) but i got a problem in gparted,my storage can't be unmounted, :confused::confused::confused:there some warning "unable to find mount point" like this picture below :

attachment.php

help me pliss!!
this is my first time i use ubuntu..:confused::confused:
:(:(:(

l3ong91

May 26, 2010
Singapore
i've installed android before with sd card method and then i want to try your method..
i've clear all partition on my phone with minitool (just like your advise before) and then i've made new partition in my storage with minitool (primary FAT32 and i also try logical FAT32) but i got a problem in gparted,my storage can't be unmounted, :confused::confused::confused:there some warning "unable to find mount point" like this picture below :

attachment.php

help me pliss!!

1. It should be PRIMARY, FAT 32 partition under Windows.
2. From the screenshot you posted, it seems that the Storage was not detectable by the system and after I Googled for it, it was actually the problems with gparted version, some version has reported to have this problem.

3. Run Terminal and copy command below:
Code:
sudo apt-get install gparted dosfstools
After that unmount My Storage, and key in again command below:
Code:
sudo su
echo -n BOOTDISK | dd bs=1 count=8 seek=64 of=/dev/sdb1

Report back if it doesn't work, will try to help you resolve the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: ilovecicilia

ilovecicilia

Jan 13, 2011
2. From the screenshot you posted, it seems that the Storage was not detectable by the system.
3. Try and clear every partition on Windows, left only one PRIMARY, FAT32 partition and transfer only the froyo beta files inside.
4. If the method still not working, re-format your My Storage under your Phone Settings, and then transfer to Windows again to transfer the beta files in.

If tried step 3 (Try and clear every partition on Windows, left only one PRIMARY, FAT32 partition and transfer only the froyo beta files inside) but it still not working..
How to re-format My Storage under Phone Setting??
Is it Setting>Memory Setting>My Storage and then reset???
i'll try it now..

ilovecicilia

Jan 13, 2011
I've tried to re-format My Storage (Setting>Memory Setting>My Storage and then reset) and then i've tried to clear every partition on Windows, left only one PRIMARY, FAT32 partition and transfer only the froyo beta files inside again too but it is still not working..

On minitool partition windows just detect one partition MY STORAGE FAT32 Primary 7.65GB like this pict :
attachment.php

but on gparted ubuntu detected 2 partition : My Storage and unallocated like this pict :
attachment.php

and it is still can't be unmounted..
what should i do again??

ilovecicilia

Jan 13, 2011
Code:
Code:
sudo su

Ok i'll try it.. should i run it online or i can do it offline???

I've tried it but still not working..

Last edited:

l3ong91

May 26, 2010
Singapore
Ok i'll try it.. should i run it online or i can do it offline???

I guess you'll have to do it online, because it may requires connection to download the stuff. Btw, are you running on virtual VMWare or in Ubuntu OS mode? It was a online tutorial so it might or not works. No guarantee though.

Again, I've said that. It's not problem with the partition and My Storage, you have done all the steps correctly, the problem lies on the gParted. The gParted cannot detect My Storage thats why you couldn't see the free and used space.

It's fine if you have some hidden partition for example the one you have ard 3 MB,and it will not affect the Android installation. Format under phone will automatically create another hidden partition for the system, just ignore it and proceed with the installation.

ilovecicilia

Jan 13, 2011
I guess you'll have to do it online, because it may requires connection to download the stuff. Btw, are you running on virtual VMWare or in Ubuntu OS mode? It was a online tutorial so it might or not works. No guarantee though.

Again, I've said that. It's not problem with the partition and My Storage, you have done all the steps correctly, the problem lies on the gParted. The gParted cannot detect My Storage thats why you couldn't see the free and used space.

It's fine if you have some hidden partition for example the one you have ard 3 MB,and it will not affect the Android installation. Format under phone will automatically create another hidden partition for the system, just ignore it and proceed with the installation.

i can't online using ubuntu coz i use modem to online and i don't know how setting my modem on ubuntu..
virtual VMWare or in Ubuntu OS mode? --> i don't know what u mean,,what is the different??

i think so.. the error on my gparted..
FYI,, I use ubuntu 11.04 and gparted_0.7.0-1ubuntu1_i386,, I install it manually..
now,,i'll try to use the different version of gparted (gparted 0.8.1),,hopefully it works..

Last edited:

l3ong91

May 26, 2010
Singapore
i can't online using ubuntu coz i use modem to online and i don't know how setting my modem on ubuntu..
virtual VMWare or in Ubuntu OS mode? --> i don't know what u mean,,what is the different??

i think so.. the error on my gparted..
FYI,, I use ubuntu 11.04 and gparted_0.7.0-1ubuntu1_i386,, I install it manually..
now,,i'll try to use the different version of gparted (gparted 0.8.1),,hopefully it works..

There are 2 versions of Ubuntu available.

1. First version is the virtual OS. Run through VMWare or something like that, a virtual imaging software. So that you run Ubuntu inside your Windows screen, no need to reboot your computer.

2. Second version is the OS mode. You will have to restart your PC to get in Ubuntu at the OS choice screen. A new partition on your PC hard disk will be created for this Ubuntu partition.

Probably there are some error with the gParted software (outdated?beta? I don't know...) , go and look for a stable and latest version.

Mar 18, 2011
New Delhi
Froyo Problems....

I'm using Froyo bundle by Ritchietos on my GT-B7610:

1. Camera is working temporarily..........Is there any solution for that........ :(

2. SD card and my storage both are not appearing in Froyo..... :(

3. And how should i apply updates in it because putting in my storage is not working....... :(

l3ong91

May 26, 2010
Singapore

1. Camera is working temporarily..........Is there any solution for that........ :(

3. And how should i apply updates in it because putting in my storage is not working....... :(

This guide was meant for i8000, I don't know whether this guide suits b7610 or not.

1. Camera is working fine on i8000.
2. SD card and both My Storage is working fine in this tutorial after using updated V2 froyo bundle.
3. Updates are done through Ubuntu (extract the o2b3update.tar.gz contents and enter commands to copy the files to ext4) or place o2b3update.tar.gz in root of My Storage(Relaunch haret.exe).

Reactions: deadcore

lipe123

Jan 14, 2010
Thanks for the guide but I'm a little stuck

I'm trying to run android from the internal 16Gb storage (I have the 16gb Omnia2)

Initialy my 16gb partition was extended with 2 fat32 sub partitions, I wiped the entire thing clean and made 2 primary partitions fat32 12gb and a 4gb ext4. I named the ext4 "android" and extracted the big tar file into it (I used the froyo 2.2 beta 3 one).

Then I copied haret and the startup.txt into the root of the "my storage" folder, modified the startup.txt and ran it.

I get the black screen with the text indicating its loading the kernel i think and then a splash screen that sais "Android loading on omnia II.." and nothing.. It just sits there doing nothing, I left it for 10minutes for good measure and then pulled the battery.

Please what am I doing wrong here? Should the etx4 be the first partition before the fat32 one?

lipe123

Jan 14, 2010
Ok so I made a little progress but not a lot.

I downloaded the beta2 package again and used the manual installer to put it on a EXT2 partition thats at the end of the "my storage" internal storage.

I run haret from my storage and get stuck at the pink screen EVERY single time!

I tried mmcblk1p5, mmcblk1p6, mmcblk0p5, mmcblk0p6 and still all I get is the pink screen with nothing happening.
I have the Samsung omnia 2 I8000 and I removed the Micro SD card completely to make sure its not trying to run from that or something.

Is there no way to get some kind of diagnostic on why its not able get past the pink screen?
I tried the beta2 and beta3 tarballs and its the same for both.

I also tried mmcblk0p2 mmcblk1p2 since some ppl said that if you dont use extended partitions and only primary ones this should be the case.
Then I reverted back to the Beta 2 bundle, got the pink screen, and then the words "ANDROID" with a light running thru the letters. I left it like that for about 30minutes and nothing else happened. I'm REALLY annoyed that so many ppl got it working and yet no one can help others.
I don't see why you would even want to install it to the SD card in the first place, why is there so few installers for the "my storage" internal memory?

Last edited:

rachad85

Nov 1, 2008
Help

Dear ,

Thank you very much for the tutorial, I've followed u step by step but when I came across shrinking the storage an error message appear every time below the details...

Thank you in advanced

GParted 0.8.1 --enable-libparted-dmraid

Libparted 2.3
Check and repair file system (fat32) on /dev/sdb5 00:00:09 ( ERROR )

calibrate /dev/sdb5 00:00:00 ( SUCCESS )

path: /dev/sdb5
start: 2
end: 16056319
size: 16056318 (7.66 GiB)
check file system on /dev/sdb5 for errors and (if possible) fix them 00:00:02 ( SUCCESS )

dosfsck -a -w -v /dev/sdb5

dosfsck 3.0.9 (31 Jan 2010)
dosfsck 3.0.9, 31 Jan 2010, FAT32, LFN
Checking we can access the last sector of the filesystem
Boot sector contents:
System ID "MSWIN4.1"
Media byte 0xf8 (hard disk)
512 bytes per logical sector
4096 bytes per cluster
36 reserved sectors
First FAT starts at byte 18432 (sector 36)
2 FATs, 32 bit entries
6487040 bytes per FAT (= 12670 sectors)
Root directory start at cluster 2 (arbitrary size)
Data area starts at byte 12992512 (sector 25376)
1620123 data clusters (6636023808 bytes)
63 sectors/track, 255 heads
2 hidden sectors
12986366 sectors total
Reclaiming unconnected clusters.
Checking free cluster summary.
/dev/sdb5: 1 files, 4/1620123 clusters
grow file system to fill the partition 00:00:07 ( ERROR )

using libparted
libparted messages ( INFO )

Error informing the kernel about modifications to partition /dev/sdb5 -- Device or resource busy. This means Linux won't know about any changes you made to /dev/sdb5 until you reboot -- so you shouldn't mount it or use it in any way before rebooting.
Failed to add partition 5 (Device or resource busy)

========================================
Shrink /dev/sdb5 from 7.66 GiB to 6.19 GiB

Create Logical Partition #1 (ext4, 1.46 GiB) on /dev/sdb

gevike

Jul 10, 2009
quick question (sorry if this has been answered before):
my omnia2 has only 2gb internal memory. Is that enough to install android? Or shall i stick with the sd card installation?

Enea307

Oct 25, 2011
CREATE EXT4 PARTITION THROUGH GPARTED
1. Go to Applications> Accesories> Terminal
. . . . . WERE CAN I FIND Applications >Accesories>Terminal..... Im new in Ubuntu . Im using Ubuntu 11.10 Plz Plz help me :):)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS TUTORIAL IS MADE BY ME, TO ASSIST BEGINNER OR THOSE WHO DOES NOT HAVE MUCH KNOWLEDGE ON UBUNTU/ LINUX SYSTEM TO RUN FROYO THROUGH MANUAL INSTALLATION.

WHY MANUAL INSTALLATION?
    - Better performance than SD card
    - Faster and more responsive as compared to SD installation
    - Able to check/update the files manually for every files that you transfer to Android system.
    - Able to select Android partition installation.

READ THIS BEFORE YOU START
    * Make sure to clear all the partition if you have installed Android before on your phone using partition tools i.e. Mini Tool Partition Wizard.
    * Make sure to backup your My Storage files to somewhere else just in case the system delete away your files.
    * All the codes on Ubuntu are case-sensitive, you have to pay high attention to the spacing, letters and caps when dealing with Ubuntu.

TUTORIALS
    Follow all the steps below and will guarantee you a workable Froyo on Omnia 2.

ON WINDOWS
    1. Download Daemon Tools from official Daemon website.
    2. Download Ubuntu iso from the official website.
    3. Download the Froyo Bundle files by Ritchietos, download link here.
    4. On your mobile phone, go to Settings> General Settings >USB Connection>Select "Mass Storage" mode and choose "My Storage".
    5. Connect phone to PC, extract and copy all Froyo Bundle files to My Storage.
    6. After finish downloaded Daemon Tools Lite, follow all the steps and install it (requires reboot).
    7. Run Daemon Tools Lite and it will appears on the notification bar.
    8. Right click on Daemon Tools Lite and select the option below.
    1.jpg
    9. Point to the directory where the Ubuntu iso file is located.
    10. After that, open My Computer, and a new drive with Ubuntu iso is created, and right click on the Ubuntu iso, click Explore.
    11. Run wubi.exe in the iso folder.
    12. Follow the option in the screenshot below and key in you username and password for Ubuntu OS. Follow through the installation process.
    3.jpg

START UBUNTU
    1. Restart the computer.
    2. And choose Ubuntu in the OS choice menu.
    3. Select the first option in Linux choice menu.
    4. After login, attached phone to USB port and you should be able to see your My Storage under Places.
    5. Copy ext4.tar.gz from Froyo Bundles on My Storage to Desktop.

CREATE EXT4 PARTITION THROUGH GPARTED
    1. Go to Applications> Accesories> Terminal
    2. Type in the following commands:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gparted
    3. Wait for the installation and type in
    Code:
    sudo gparted
    4. After gparted running, go to top-right corner and select the My Storage partition. (select the one with around 7 Gb storage)
    6.jpg
    5. Right click on the storage and "Unmount" the storage first.
    5.jpg
    6. Right click and select "Resize/Move" to set the partition value.
    4.jpg
    7. Leave around 1-2 gb of spaces available for "Free spaces following".
    8. A new partition, "unallocated" will be created.
    9. Right click, and select New partition, and set the following.
    Code:
    Create as " primary partition"
    File System " ext4
    Label "android"
    10. Click "Apply" (Tick icon) and wait for the pending operation to be complete.
    11. You will see the new android partition created once it's complete.

COPYING FILES TO EXT4 SYSTEM
    1. "Android" drive will appear on the top toolbar once the partition process is completed.
    2. Right click on the drive, and "Mount" android partition that just created.
    2. Open Terminal, and follow the commands below
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    Code:
    sudo tar zxvf ext4.tar.gz -C /media/android
    3. Wait for the process to be complete.

RENAME STARTUP.TXT ON MY STORAGE
    1. Make sure that My Storage partition is mounted.
    2. Open and right click on startup.txt.
    3. Select open with gedit.
    4. Renamed the following line:
    Code:
    Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 init=/init"
    to
    Code:
    Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p[COLOR="Red"]6[/COLOR] init=/init"
    5. Save and exit gedit.
    * In some cases, mmcblk0p6 maybe different for some users, however, you can check your code after running haret.exe if the device hang at the following screen.
    IMG_17442.jpg

Now the Android Froyo partition has been transferred manually to the ext4 partition that just created. You can run the haret.exe on Windows Mobile to enjoy the full Froyo experience.

CREDITS
    ritchietos for Froyo bundles compilation.
    jerrytech2468 for video tutorials.
    omnia2droid developers for making our Android dreams come true.
    I followed your tutorial and Android starts ok, but I can't access My Storage partition and SD card. I now have two partitions labeled My Storage and Android. SD card is shown as not mounted (My Storage and SD card are ok, I can see them from WM). What can I do?
    Thank you.

Edit: I reinstalled and now My Storage partition is available under storage folder. But I still can't see my sd card. As I understand it should be found in sdcard folder. It's empty. Probably that's because (as I already said) I see sd card notification that it is damaged and can't be mounted (if I install iso installation it is working ok).
    How can I bring sd card to life?

May I know which package did you downloaded from Froyo bundle? For me, both SD card and My Storage are readable and able to be detected after installing Froyo bundle V1 and V2 updates.

And did you format your SD card using SD Formatter? Check the option below:
    Format Type: Full (Erase)
    Format Size Adjustment: ON

No need to reinstall the whole thing again, just take out your SD card and format it using SD Formatter. My Storage seems working fine in your case, it's just the SD card problem I guess, should be working after format it.
    Hi,

I followed the steps of the installation but when I connect my phone to the USB port in Ubuntu I don't see "My Storage" in Places as you describe. Instead something strange happens and I see a new network device ETH1 called Omnia I8000.

One thing I am not doing exactly as in the instructions is the Ubuntu installation. I don't want to install another OS on my machine. Instead I tried Virtual Machine with Ubuntu and a live CD Ubuntu and had the same effect in both.

I an a n00b in Linux so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Buzzy

As far as I'm concern, the video tutorial by jerrytech2468.blogspot.com also uses vmware to run virtual Ubuntu, try follow his video installation.

attachment.php

help me pliss!!

2. From the screenshot you posted, it seems that the Storage was not detectable by the system and after I Googled for it, it was actually the problems with gparted version, some version has reported to have this problem.

Code:
    Code:
    sudo su

This guide was meant for i8000, I don't know whether this guide suits b7610 or not.

1. Camera is working fine on i8000.
    2. SD card and both My Storage is working fine in this tutorial after using updated V2 froyo bundle.
    3. Updates are done through Ubuntu (extract the o2b3update.tar.gz contents and enter commands to copy the files to ext4) or place o2b3update.tar.gz in root of My Storage(Relaunch haret.exe).