[Q] i9505 won't start after changes to framework-res.apk [SOLVED]

Search This thread

Specht77

Sep 2, 2012
Guys, I tried making some changes to framework-res.apk on my i9505, to change the background color...

but when I pressed to overwrite the original framework-res.apk to my modified one, the phone freezed and restarted, but now it wont start...

it's stuck on a screen where's written "SAMSUNG" and there's a glowing blue/purple behind it

is there anyway I can reach the root without turning the phone on again, so I can put the original framework-res.apk again?

Last edited:

Repulsa

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 3, 2010
Your Mom's crib
Guys, I tried making some changes to framework-res.apk on my i9505, to change the background color...

but when I pressed to overwrite the original framework-res.apk to my modified one, the phone freezed and restarted, but now it wont start...

it's stuck on a screen where's written "SAMSUNG" and there's a glowing blue/purple behind it

is there anyway I can reach the root without turning the phone on again, so I can put the original framework-res.apk again?

If you have an SD card on your phone just remove it and put it on your Laptop/PC and make a flashable zip with a stock framework and and copy it to your sd card and flash the zip file via recovery. and that should fix your problem. If not then you need to reflash the rom in order to make it work :)

Last edited:

Specht77

Sep 2, 2012
If you have an SD card on your phone just remove it and put it on your Laptop/PC and make a flashable zip with a stock framework and and copy it to your sd card and flash the zip file via recovery. and that should fix your problem. If not then you need to reflash the rom in order to make it work :)

That sounded a good and simple idea, but I think i'm doing something wrong, I tried doing like you said, making a flashable zip with the stock framework...

So I put my S4 on recovery mode, when to "update from external storage" (or something like that), and tried to flash the zip, some text showed up on the screen, I didn't had the time to write it all down, so I wrote only the red part:

E:footer is wrong
E:signature verification failed

could it be that the apktool made some changes to the original apk while I was making a modified one?

edit: I tried flashing a new zip now, with the modified framework... and it got the same 3 errors messages, and still wont boot :/

I have a backup on the internal storage, of a version of the framework that i'm sure is not modified, is there anyway I can access it?

Last edited:

Repulsa

Nov 3, 2010
Your Mom's crib
That sounded a good and simple idea, but I think i'm doing something wrong, I tried doing like you said, making a flashable zip with the stock framework...

So I put my S4 on recovery mode, when to "update from external storage" (or something like that), and tried to flash the zip, some text showed up on the screen, I didn't had the time to write it all down, so I wrote only the red part:

E:signature verification failed

could it be that the apktool made some changes to the original apk while I was making a modified one?

edit: I tried flashing a new zip now, with the modified framework... and it got the same 3 errors messages, and still wont boot :/

I have a backup on the internal storage, of a version of the framework that i'm sure is not modified, is there anyway I can access it?

Do you even have a custom recovery ? and What kind of custom recovery do you have?ie Philz/TWRP and Give me the original file and ill make a flashable zip for you :)

Specht77

Sep 2, 2012
Do you even have a custom recovery ? and What kind of custom recovery do you have?ie Philz/TWRP and Give me the original file and ill make a flashable zip for you :)

I'm using the original recovery...

here's the original file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ntij1ptio0tucz7/framework-res.apk

edit: tried doing it by "update from ADB", got the same 3 errors, but this time it didn't even went to the finish and restarted, it aborted and went back to the recovery screen

Last edited:

Repulsa

Nov 3, 2010
Your Mom's crib
I'm using the original recovery...

here's the original file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ntij1ptio0tucz7/framework-res.apk

Bro there's No way you can flash any zip file since your using a stock recovery... You need atleast a custom recovery such as Philz/TWRP. and flashing a recovery more likely will void your warranty. But if you dont care about warranty then flash a custom one but if you do care about that warranty then the only fix is to Flash a stock Rom :) , Its all up to you. Let me know.

Last edited:

Specht77

Sep 2, 2012
Bro there's No way you can flash any zip file since your using a stock recovery... You need atleast a custom recovery such as Philz/TWRP. and flashing a custom recovery more likely will void your warranty. But if you dont care about warranty then flash a custom recovery but if you care about your warranty then the only fix is to Flash a stock Rom :) , Its all up to you. Let me know.

Damn... I don't want to void warranty... if I flash a stock rom, I'll loose everything on the internal storage?

Repulsa

Nov 3, 2010
Your Mom's crib
Damn... I don't want to void warranty... if I flash a stock rom, I'll loose everything on the internal storage?

That is correct :) Im sorry mate , You can Either boot into recovery and Do Factory reset /wipe cache , Or Flash a stock rom. :) Or either check On How to restore a backup in Google.com :) You might save the backup on SD card.But im Not sure how does it work :D Since im using Google account to backup and restores my Stuff..

Boot into recovery mode (power+vol up)
- Choose to wipe/factory reset. (THIS WILL ERASE ALL OF YOUR DATA INCLUDING YOUR INTERNAL SD CARD!)
- Then choose reboot and you should be good to go!

Last edited:

Specht77

Sep 2, 2012
That is correct :) Im sorry mate , You can Either boot into recovery and Do Factory reset /wipe cache , Or Flash a stock rom. :) Or either check On How to restore a backup in Google.com :) You might save the backup on SD card.But im Not sure how does it work :D Since im using Google account to backup and restores my Stuff..

Boot into recovery mode (power+vol up)
- Choose to wipe/factory reset. (THIS WILL ERASE ALL OF YOUR DATA INCLUDING YOUR INTERNAL SD CARD!)
- Then choose reboot and you should be good to go!

I noticed that even stuck on the samsung message, it at least is recognized @ the USB, so I tried doing "adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework", and just when I was getting happy, it said:

failed to copy 'framework-res.apk' to 'system/framework/framework-res.apk': Read-only file system

:( :( :(

is there any command to "untick" the read-only via adb?

after searching on the internet, I found some people saying that you shoud type:

"adb shell
su"
and remount

but after I type su, any new command I type, wont work, it only repeat what I type...

lf0i.jpg

Last edited:

Specht77

Sep 2, 2012
Sorry for the double post, but this is sad:

I installed CWM, and installed the zip with the original framework, and also tried with the modified framework...

but... it still get stuck at the same samsung logo :(

Specht77

Sep 2, 2012
Sorry for the triple post, but since nobody is answering me, and the topic was almost at the second page, I had no other option...

I made a video of what's happening...

at the beggining, it show how the files are stored inside the flashable zip

then I show the zip being flashed with the CWM

then I show the device restarting (everytime I try to restart via CWM, flashing zip or not, it ask if it should fix root, what does it mean?)

and, the device getting stuck at the same SAMSUNG screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-uJC9NZV8s

ok, finally I made it, I went to the "mount unmount" and mounted the system before flashing the zip, restarted, and it's working perfectly now

Last edited:

Repulsa

Nov 3, 2010
Your Mom's crib
Sorry for the triple post, but since nobody is answering me, and the topic was almost at the second page, I had no other option...

then I show the device restarting (everytime I try to restart via CWM, flashing zip or not, it ask if it should fix root, what does it mean?)

ok, finally I made it, I went to the "mount unmount" and mounted the system before flashing the zip, restarted, and it's working perfectly now

then I show the device restarting (everytime I try to restart via CWM, flashing zip or not, it ask if it should fix root, what does it mean?) When you press and hold Power+Volume up and You will see that Msg Recovery booting on top of your screen (Blue Letter)then Just let go both of your Finger's mate , and that should boot you into recovery and No need to Hold Menu anymore Just Power+VolUp:) and if it asked you to fix root /Recovery always Say NO to it :) But congrats tho :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Specht77

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

then I show the device restarting (everytime I try to restart via CWM, flashing zip or not, it ask if it should fix root, what does it mean?) When you press and hold Power+Volume up and You will see that Msg Recovery booting on top of your screen (Blue Letter)then Just let go both of your Finger's mate , and that should boot you into recovery and No need to Hold Menu anymore Just Power+VolUp:) and if it asked you to fix root /Recovery always Say NO to it :) But congrats tho :)