[Q] Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Need a hand with building.

Search This thread

ian577416

I can't get it to build properly, I'm not sure if the toolchain version I'm using or what but I'm stalled. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ian@ian-HP-2000-Notebook-PC:~$ cd ~/android/kernel/msm
ian@ian-HP-2000-Notebook-PC:~/android/kernel/msm$ export ARCH=arm
ian@ian-HP-2000-Notebook-PC:~/android/kernel/msm$ export SUBARCH=arm
ian@ian-HP-2000-Notebook-PC:~/android/kernel/msm$ export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-androideabi-
ian@ian-HP-2000-Notebook-PC:~/android/kernel/msm$ make mako_defconfig
warning: (ARCH_MSM_KRAITMP && ARCH_MSM_CORTEX_A5) selects HAVE_HW_BRKPT_RESERVED_RW_ACCESS which has unmet direct dependencies (HAVE_HW_BREAKPOINT)
warning: (ARCH_MSM_KRAITMP && ARCH_MSM_CORTEX_A5) selects HAVE_HW_BRKPT_RESERVED_RW_ACCESS which has unmet direct dependencies (HAVE_HW_BREAKPOINT)
#
# configuration written to .config
#
ian@ian-HP-2000-Notebook-PC:~/android/kernel/msm$ make -j4
scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig
CHK include/linux/version.h
HOSTCC scripts/bin2c
CC scripts/mod/empty.o
HOSTCC scripts/mod/mk_elfconfig
arm-linux-androideabi-gcc: No such file or directory
Is your PATH set correctly?
make[2]: *** [scripts/mod/empty.o] Error 2
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[1]: *** [scripts/mod] Error 2
make: *** [scripts] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
ian@ian-HP-2000-Notebook-PC:~/android/kernel/msm$

XDA_Bam

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 27, 2011
I would guess that you have not defined the path to the actual toolchain. I recommend a build script - it's much faster than typing everything in and saves you from typing mistakes. Create the file /android/kernel/buildscript.sh, make it executable and add

Code:
cd msm
export PATH=$PATH:~/android/toolchain/arm-linux-androideabi-4.6/bin
export ARCH=arm
export SUBARCH=arm
export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-androideabi-
make clean
make mako_defconfig
make -j6

This assumes that the kernel makefile is located in /android/kernel/msm/makefile The important line is 'export PATH=$PATH:~/android/toolchain/arm-linux-androideabi-4.6/bin' (depending on where your toolchain actually resides). This tells make where to look for the arm-linux-androideabi- binaries. For further info, I recommend this guide.

Reactions: ian577416

gabr10

Jan 28, 2010
Alajuela
I would guess that you have not defined the path to the actual toolchain. I recommend a build script - it's much faster than typing everything in and saves you from typing mistakes. Create the file /android/kernel/buildscript.sh, make it executable and add

Code:
cd msm
export ARCH=arm
export SUBARCH=arm
make clean
make mako_defconfig
make -j6

This assumes that the kernel makefile is located in /android/kernel/msm/makefile The important line is 'export PATH=$PATH:~/android/toolchain/arm-linux-androideabi-4.6/bin' (depending on where your toolchain actually resides). This tells make where to look for the arm-linux-androideabi- binaries. For further info, I recommend this guide.

Same problem here. On Ubuntu and Mac OS. No idea what's causing it, the path seems to be OK and pointing to the right file, if I try to execute it on its own, it will say: cannot execute binary file

fenstre

Jan 9, 2012
You couldn't ask for a clearer error message. The build system wants to call "arm-linux-androideabi-gcc", but this program can't be found (executable isn't in the $PATH directory list).

As someone else told you, you must add this to your path. On my computer I would write:
Code:
PATH="$PATH:/Volumes/android/cm10.1/prebuilts/gcc/darwin-x86/arm/arm-linux-androideabi-4.6/bin"

But I'm not building the same thing you are (or using the same method). You'll need to follow whatever procedure is recommended for that project.

gabr10

Jan 28, 2010
Alajuela
You couldn't ask for a clearer error message. The build system wants to call "arm-linux-androideabi-gcc", but this program can't be found (executable isn't in the $PATH directory list).

As someone else told you, you must add this to your path. On my computer I would write:
Code:
PATH="$PATH:/Volumes/android/cm10.1/prebuilts/gcc/darwin-x86/arm/arm-linux-androideabi-4.6/bin"

But I'm not building the same thing you are (or using the same method). You'll need to follow whatever procedure is recommended for that project.

Like I said before, it's IN the PATH. The problem appears to be that this is a 64-bit only binary, on my Ubuntu test case it was a 32-bit OS, but on the Mac it doesn't make sense at all since it's Mountain Lion --> x86_64.

Same Problem Here

I just compiled yesterday on debian testing reinstalled the same OS for other reasons, pulled git, tried to build and get the same error. I have PATH set correctly and can run arm-eabi-gcc --version no problem from any directory. I have multiarch setup with both x86-64 and i386. The only difference between today and yesterday is I switched from GNOME 3 to window maker and switched from xterm to aterm.

Anybody got a clue whats going wrong here yet?? :crying::crying:

Got It to Work (At lease for me)

On my Debian box I setup by doing apt-get install make git libncurses5 figuring everything else was in google's toolchain. Well today I installed kernel-package which installs build-essentials and installed libncurses-dev now I still get the unmet dependencies error but am able to do make menuconfig and make and build just fine now. If you are on OS X I suggest googling debian package search, search for build-essentials and use MacPorts or Brew (depending on your preference) to install as many of those utilities as you can. :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
    cd msm
    export ARCH=arm
    export SUBARCH=arm
    make clean
    make mako_defconfig
    make -j6