8X Tethering

Search This thread

NeMisiz

Apr 3, 2009
So..moving from Android to Windows is pretty awesome except that Windows is just way to good at locking down their hardware. Verizon just adds insult to I injury when it comes to using my unlimited data which I will never give up until they decide to drop me.

Anyway, if anyone is interested I have figured out how to tether the 8x via USB (and at pretty decent speeds) but have still been searching for any sort of workaround for the ICS that VZW thinks unlimited users shouldn't be allowed to have for free. I could just go pay the $5 for Tether-X or whatever but I hear it takes a lot of setup on the computer end which is just a hassle and not convenient seeing that my home computer already has fast internet. I've had a few ideas...

First, for those who are interested in USB tethering. It involves enabling Diag Mode (##634#) so your PC will recognize it as a USB Composite Device. The problem here is the drivers. I searched all over and finally came across the 8x-specific drivers for the PC to recognize it as a modem. Message me if you are interested in the details to setting that up. Now to the hotspot question...

From what I've read, there used to be a way to go into your EPST settings (##778#) and change the DUN NAI in the default W.IP profile to bypass the block. The problem here is that you cannot edit these settings because VZW(HTC?) decided that people shouldn't be able to play with the device they paid so much for to keep their unlimited data. Does anyone know any tricks to unlock editing in these sections of the EPST? Any other workarounds that anyone has heard of? Please don't say such things as "move to a shared plan" or "pay for the hotspot"...I waited for this phone to come down in price so I could buy it out-of-pocket just for the fact that I could keep my unlimited data. And it wouldn't really be unlimited if I had to pay more to use ICS, now would it? Besides, it's not a necessity, just something that would be convenient. I have faith that WP8 will be cracked soon so I can enjoy it like the old days where the native file system was open for modification.

brunonemer

Apr 2, 2013
La Paz
So..moving from Android to Windows is pretty awesome except that Windows is just way to good at locking down their hardware. Verizon just adds insult to I injury when it comes to using my unlimited data which I will never give up until they decide to drop me.

Anyway, if anyone is interested I have figured out how to tether the 8x via USB (and at pretty decent speeds) but have still been searching for any sort of workaround for the ICS that VZW thinks unlimited users shouldn't be allowed to have for free. I could just go pay the $5 for Tether-X or whatever but I hear it takes a lot of setup on the computer end which is just a hassle and not convenient seeing that my home computer already has fast internet. I've had a few ideas...

First, for those who are interested in USB tethering. It involves enabling Diag Mode (##634#) so your PC will recognize it as a USB Composite Device. The problem here is the drivers. I searched all over and finally came across the 8x-specific drivers for the PC to recognize it as a modem. Message me if you are interested in the details to setting that up. Now to the hotspot question...

From what I've read, there used to be a way to go into your EPST settings (##778#) and change the DUN NAI in the default W.IP profile to bypass the block. The problem here is that you cannot edit these settings because VZW(HTC?) decided that people shouldn't be able to play with the device they paid so much for to keep their unlimited data. Does anyone know any tricks to unlock editing in these sections of the EPST? Any other workarounds that anyone has heard of? Please don't say such things as "move to a shared plan" or "pay for the hotspot"...I waited for this phone to come down in price so I could buy it out-of-pocket just for the fact that I could keep my unlimited data. And it wouldn't really be unlimited if I had to pay more to use ICS, now would it? Besides, it's not a necessity, just something that would be convenient. I have faith that WP8 will be cracked soon so I can enjoy it like the old days where the native file system was open for modification.

Try this, I enabled WiFi Internet sharing in my Verizon 8X: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52490701&postcount=5