Nervous about unlocking an XDAII

Search This thread

Jules John

Jun 1, 2004
UK
Hi All,

I am thinking of purchasing an XDAII for use with a Vodafone sim. Having read some of the more recent postings, I am somewhat nervous about performing an unlock operation.....is it easy and idiot-proof?

I look forward to receiving some words to the wise, of encouragement, and for the technically not-that-savvy.

Best regards,

Jules
:oops:

W4XY

Jan 19, 2003
Earth... I think
cruisin-thru said:
The xda2 unlock is very safe because it doesnt write anything to the phone, it extracts the code and you enter it as you would if given it by your own service provider.

Actually this is not completely true. There are two versions for unlocking an XDA 2. Unfortunately named the same (xda2unlock.exe), but they can be found in two separate threads in this subforum. Read the first post carefully. The latest version is: http://xdaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=6963

The newer version writes a lock 00000000 to the phone and then unlocks it. However, this process is still quite secure. I have had no report of a phone not working due to unlocking. All problems were in the end related to SIM cards not working (old or blocked) or the phone itself being blocked (insurance claim). One problem that still remains is that Orange phones do not seem to unlock (but the phone remains working normally). That is being worked on.

icarusbop

Mar 2, 2004
Don't worry about it, I did the same thing...

Bought XDAII from BT with their sim, hoping to be able to unlock it to use my company Voda sim. I was concerened that if it didn't work I would be left with a unit and phone contract i couldn't really use.

I took the chance anyway. It took me approx 3 minutes to unlock the unit and get my voda sim running. The unlock rogram worked perfect first time!

icarusbop

Mar 2, 2004
Don't worry about it, I did the same thing...

Bought XDAII from BT with their sim, hoping to be able to unlock it to use my company Voda sim. I was concerened that if it didn't work I would be left with a unit and phone contract i couldn't really use.

I took the chance anyway. It took me approx 3 minutes to unlock the unit and get my voda sim running. The unlock rogram worked perfect first time!

new star

Aug 18, 2004
Is there a way to unlock a Tmobile simlock on an xda 2 ???

XDA II :cry:
ROM Ver 1.60.00WWE
ROM Date 12/03/03
Radio Ver 1.10.00
protocol Ver 1337.18
ExtRom Ver 1.60.50

Can anyone help please - I purchased a XDA II from MRT - Murphys Respectable Traders! as few weeks ago and only an 02 SIM worked.
I use T-Mobile and with the help of xda2unlock, managed to use Tmobile for 2 weeks then it stopped in/out going calls. The Sim still works in other phones though.
Is there a way to fix this ?[/b]

Carlos

That doesn't sound like a SIM lock issue. Never heard of a SIM lock coming back later, and you should get an error message if it is locked, not just a call failure. You should probably post a new thread with details on your problem.

plaver

Feb 20, 2004
Guys, Appolgies if this is seen as a thread hi-jack, not my intention.

I have XDA II with the device information
ROM version 1.60.00WWE
ROM Date 12/03/03
Radio Version 1.10.00
Protocol Version 1337.18
ExtROM Version 1.60.50

I have run the XDA II unlock exe version 2.2 and then run the unlock program on the device, it says it's unlocked, The thing is I can't get a signal from Virgin Mobile, it works fine using my o2 sim card from other XDA II, has anybody successfully unlocked and used the XDA II on the virgin network, the sim is a Pay and you Go.

Any help and advice much apreciated.