State of Development on R800x (ROM and Kernel List)

Search This thread

Mills00013

Oct 12, 2007
cant you do a backup of the full system using omnious or whatever it is called wont that give you a backup of the kernel. i thought that is what people where using to get the .ftf files.

No not with omnius. Omnius will backup your TA area and thats it.

What you're thinking of is flashtool. And what flashtool can do is it can take a raw dump from SEUS (sony's update application that can only be used with bootloader-locked devices) and then it can translate that blob into a tft file. The tft file can then be broken down into subsections like the kernel.sin, system.sin, data.sin, etc.

I would be more than happy to walk someone through producing one of these files, i just cant find anyone with a bootloader locked phone who is willing to let me help them. There is no risk involved....

Sep 26, 2008
What you're thinking of is flashtool. And what flashtool can do is it can take a raw dump from SEUS (sony's update application that can only be used with bootloader-locked devices) and then it can translate that blob into a tft file. The tft file can then be broken down into subsections like the kernel.sin, system.sin, data.sin, etc.

I would be more than happy to walk someone through producing one of these files, i just cant find anyone with a bootloader locked phone who is willing to let me help them. There is no risk involved....

My bootloader is unlocked (Verizon), but when I was trying to do the OTA update to 2.3.3 it failed multiple times. I used Root Explorer to find the downloaded update file and saved it to my SD card because I was tired of having to download it multiple times. I have three files
status (1KB)
update_package (55,889 KB)
update_package.dd (1KB)
If those are what you need, let me know. I'll be happy to help.

Last edited:

zero_1_2

Jan 30, 2011
I think i can get it figured out

EDIT: not able to connect r800x to PC companion. Bummer

Last edited:

007shark

Aug 22, 2010
Florida
My bootloader is unlocked (Verizon), but when I was trying to do the OTA update to 2.3.3 it failed multiple times. I used Root Explorer to find the downloaded update file and saved it to my SD card because I was tired of having to download it multiple times. I have three files
status (1KB)
update_package (55,889 KB)
update_package.dd (1KB)
If those are what you need, let me know. I'll be happy to help.

What I had to do to get the OTA to work was to lock my bootloader and use Flash Tool to flash my system to stock 2.3.2. Then it would update without failure. If I tried to simply use fastboot to flash the system and boot partitions to go back to 2.3.2, the update would always fail. After the update, I just unlock my bootloader again and root without any problems.

216Monster

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
No not with omnius. Omnius will backup your TA area and thats it.

Something like this would give us a 2.3.3 kernel right? If would could make a flashtool file from the 2.3.3 update?

iliketrains

Jul 7, 2010
Don't bother relocking and updating via ota. There's
a 50/50 chance you won't even be able to update and you'll brick during the process. Verizon phones are different. I went through the whole process, relock bootloader, wipe, update...brick. Tried it many ways. Finally just pulled the kernel from a Rogers branded tft file and flashed the 2.3.3 system img. Of course now i'm on the UK firmware and loving it but if you want stock everything, that is the way I would do it. You can still reroot of you lose it. Just hot boot into cwm, flash the root zip and that's it, rooted.
Sent from my R800x using XDA App

Sep 26, 2008
What I had to do to get the OTA to work was to lock my bootloader and use Flash Tool to flash my system to stock 2.3.2. Then it would update without failure. If I tried to simply use fastboot to flash the system and boot partitions to go back to 2.3.2, the update would always fail. After the update, I just unlock my bootloader again and root without any problems.

I just used SEUS to "repair" my phone after locking the bootloader, then I was able to install the update. After that I used CWM / fastboot to flash the rootXperia.zip

007shark

Aug 22, 2010
Florida
Don't bother relocking and updating via ota. There's
a 50/50 chance you won't even be able to update and you'll brick during the process. Verizon phones are different. I went through the whole process, relock bootloader, wipe, update...brick. Tried it many ways. Finally just pulled the kernel from a Rogers branded tft file and flashed the 2.3.3 system img. Of course now i'm on the UK firmware and loving it but if you want stock everything, that is the way I would do it. You can still reroot of you lose it. Just hot boot into cwm, flash the root zip and that's it, rooted.

Are you using UK kernel and ROM? Is multimedia messaging working for you?

216Monster

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
Idk much about Xperia Play yet. Would it work flashin the 2.3.3 system ftf from the state of development and a 2.3.3 kernel from r800a_rogers? Or would my phone just hate it and not boot or bootloop or fc alot ?

One2many

Sep 2, 2011
I copied the update_package file from cache/recovery/fota. I don't know if anyone can do anything with it, but here it is.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35097081/update_package

If anything else, if anyone has to go back to 2.3.2, you could push this file to cache/recovery/fota to save time instead of waiting for the download.

EDIT: I just relocked my bootloader, and applied update. Everything went smooth, still have root, and was able to re-unlock bootloader.

EDIT: Here is the mtd2 image file I extracted from /dev/mtd/mtd2 if anyone with Linux wants to compile a boot.img from it so we have the stock 2.3.3 kernel
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35097081/mtd2.img

EDIT: And here is a Nandroid backup that gives you rooted stock 2.3.3 with all original system apps. I tested it by going back to 2.3.2 by wiping data, cache, system, flashing kernel.sin and system.sin from 2.3.2 in fastboot. Rebooting to verify stock w/o root, then fastbooted recoveryPLAY.img and applied this nandroid backup. This is a way to get 2.3.3 kernel and system without having to relock bootloader, receiving ota, and then re-unlock bootloader.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35097081/R800x_2.3.3_stock_rooted.zip
Note: This was made by me after locking bootloader, receiving and installing ota 2.3.3, unlocking bootloader, fastboot boot recoveryPLAY.img, nandroid
backup.
EDIT: This backup still results in wifi not working if still on 2.3.2 when using. :(

Thanks for posting this!

Are you basically saying if we can get the stock Verizon kernel 2.3.3 extracted from your mtd2.img we can use your 2.3.3 Verizon nandroid restore with working wifi???

I have a friend at work that is really good with linux and asked if he can help us tomorrow. Although if it is that simple I'm surprised someone here has not done this already.
If you already know of a Verizon 2.3.3 stock kernel somewhere please post! :)

Thanks! Hope to report back soon.

zero_1_2

Jan 30, 2011
When i connected to the sony ericsson utility. It did not work at all. The only way to update the phone is OTA according to the verizon website. and the sony ericsson support chat person wasn't any help either.

216Monster

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
the repair update thru seus on r800x seems basically like using a 2.3.2.ftf

EDIT: I flashed doomlords latest kernel and then the 2.3.3 system image. I didnt have wifi or camera or mms but it was stock rom running 1.9ghz , pretty cool

Last edited:

Mills00013

Oct 12, 2007
When i connected to the sony ericsson utility. It did not work at all. The only way to update the phone is OTA according to the verizon website. and the sony ericsson support chat person wasn't any help either.

This might be the case now. Especially since SEUS doesn't seem to officially exist any longer.

Nope, it just reset it to factory android, lost root, but kept my personal data.

Yeah thats what it should have done, assuming their servers don't have the newest software, as referenced above.

the repair update thru seus on r800x seems basically like using a 2.3.2.ftf

EDIT: I flashed doomlords latest kernel and then the 2.3.3 system image. I didnt have wifi or camera or mms but it was stock rom running 1.9ghz , pretty cool

You actually got a running stock system with Doom's kernel? Thats a miracle on an R800x. The camera and the wifi are understandable, but your MMS shouldnt be affected. Unless you flashed a generic GSM 2.3.3 and not the Verizon one...

007shark

Aug 22, 2010
Florida
Thanks for posting this!

Are you basically saying if we can get the stock Verizon kernel 2.3.3 extracted from your mtd2.img we can use your 2.3.3 Verizon nandroid restore with working wifi???

I have a friend at work that is really good with linux and asked if he can help us tomorrow. Although if it is that simple I'm surprised someone here has not done this already.
If you already know of a Verizon 2.3.3 stock kernel somewhere please post! :)

Thanks! Hope to report back soon.

I installed Linux on my laptop and now working on installing java and android sdks. Once I have those up and going I am going to attempt to take the mtd2 file and make it into a boot.img file so no one else has to fool with relocking their bootloader and messing with the OTA.

216Monster

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
I installed Linux on my laptop and now working on installing java and android sdks. Once I have those up and going I am going to attempt to take the mtd2 file and make it into a boot.img file so no one else has to fool with relocking their bootloader and messing with the OTA.

If you get that working that would be awesome to have!

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

This might be the case now. Especially since SEUS doesn't seem to officially exist any longer.

Yeah thats what it should have done, assuming their servers don't have the newest software, as referenced above.

You actually got a running stock system with Doom's kernel? Thats a miracle on an R800x. The camera and the wifi are understandable, but your MMS shouldnt be affected. Unless you flashed a generic GSM 2.3.3 and not the Verizon one...

I grabbed the 2.3.3 system img the state of development thread. Im gonna flash it again an see what happens

Mills00013

Oct 12, 2007
What's the best method to unlock the bootloader on a brand new R800x with 2.3.3? Is Omnius the onlly way?
Also, is Gingerbreak & other methods busted on 2.3.3? I tried a few but they freeze up w/ no change for root.

You have to use the paid solution in the general section of the forums. Omnius won't do anything for you. You need a hardware unlocking device or you need to use someone else's (which is what the referenced paid solution is.) no exploits currently will root your phone.

You have to use the paid solution in the general section of the forums. Omnius won't do anything for you. You need a hardware unlocking device or you need to use someone else's (which is what the referenced paid solution is.) no exploits currently will root your phone.

Thanks. I'll look into that since I'd prefer to customize Android than leave it with VZW crapware.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Because what the world needs now is another R800x related thread.

I'm going to try to document all of the kernels and ROMs posted currently about the forum and exactly what they will or will not do when used in their current state on the R800x. This thread will be for developers to help figure out issues related to the CDMA differences and for end users trying to figure out what works or doesn't.

Please post your experiences with testing different builds and kernels. Also, if applicable, post any software that you were able to remove with root and if you ran into any complications because of the removal.

Note that this can also serve as a directory for GSM users as well. Just disregard the comments and do diligent research.

If you are not using a custom kernel (and you're probably not at this point because of how poorly they are responding) then you will need to run this command to make your system read/writable so that you can remove apps:
    Code:
    mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock0 /system

If you have not already done so, download Omnius! Backup your TA file. This can save a lot of headaches in the long run for everyone!

Root

Basic Root Steps
    Link: R800x Root
    Status: Steps to follow if you have an unlocked bootloader....

zergRush Root Method
    Link: [HOW-TO] Root R800x/i v2.3.3+ (zergRush Method)
    Status: Instructions for rooting without a unlocked bootloader. Works on stock 2.3.3.

Bin4ry's Original Root
    Link: [How-to] Root your Play
    Status: No. Bin4ry's file contains the entire system for the GSM plays. This is an original rooted generic system build. Do not flash this.

Kernels

DooMLoRD's CDMA Kernel
    Link: [KERNEL][PLAY][CDMA] DooMKernel [Rel:v01][Dt:30/Nov][FW:3.0.1.A.0.145]
    Status: Currently in very active development, check the thread for most recent updates and information about whether this will work for you. Probably most recommended for stock ROM.

Blagus' SEtweak Kernel
    Link: [Kernel] SEtweak - insecure ADB, ext4, NTFS, overclock, USB OTG - updated 24th July

DooMLoRD's GSM Kernel
    Link: [KERNEL][PLAY][GSM] DooMKernel [Rel:v08][Dt:17/Nov][FW:4.0.2.A.0.42]
    Status: Newest Doom revision will boot stock 2.3.3 system without wifi or camera. Version 3 of the kernel will allow you to use both of these items. Will also boot other systems with same results.

FreeXperia's (jerpelea) Kernel
    Link: [DEVELOPMENT] - CM7.1.0 - FXP041 RELEASED - FreeXperia Project
    Status: It works like it should for the most part. Regressions in and out on camera, but overall stable. Used for CM7 only.

Roms

Stock ROM
    Link: Check stock section below for downloads
    Status: Boots and roots with everything available to use as it should be. See kernel info above for finer points to it. Stock ROM is easily rootable.

FreeXperia's CyanogenMod 7.2.0 CDMA
    Link: {GSM/CDMA}[DEVELOPMENT] - CM7.2.0 - FXP049 RELEASED - FreeXperia Project
    Status: Newest builds work almost 100%. If you are having camera issues, check out this post and apply the linked update.zip. You should have a working system with everything except MMS. And even the MMS is hit or miss. So give it a try.

ZeroROM
    Link: [ROM] zerorom v0.4 (GSM/CDMA, CWM Install)
    Status: Boots great using Doom's kernel, however, system is based on 4.0 series generic GSM roms and the radio doesnt function yet. Work in progress.

UK ROM For R800x
    Link: [CDMA][ROM] R800x with UK firmware

Status: Work in progress but good reports about it running great. Check out thread for most current information and build data.

FrAsErTaG's FTS
    Link: [SYSTEM] FTS v05 ONLINE [FINAL] DooMLoRD Kernel Compatible
    Status: Seems there is lots of success with new patches and some minor tweaks starting about there in the thread. Well suited for using as a daily driver at this point with the tweaks. Easiest method is just flashing the awesome nandroid backup zero_1_2 made.

Requests

Kernels for 2.3.3

Back to Stock

Stock Kernel 2.3.2
    Link: Attatched to this post
    Status: Its the stock kernel. So of course it works just fine. Flash the same as you would any kernel: fastboot flash boot kernel.sin

Stock System 2.3.2
    Link: Multiupload
    Status: Should work just fine. This is just the .sin. Use this command: fastboot flash system system.sin

Stock System 2.3.3
    Link: DropBox
    Status: Untested system img. Use this command: fastboot flash system system.img

Stock Kernel+System TFT 2.3.2
    Status: Should contain a tft file with the kernel and system. From what I understand this is not the complete restore?

Full system FTF 2.3.2
    Status: Full system restore tft. This should bring you back to 100% stock (minus the bootloader being returned to locked)

Full system FTF 2.3.3
    Status: Full system restore tft. This should bring you back to 100% stock (minus the bootloader being returned to locked)

All Original System APKs

MD5 Values for Stock Items
    This isn't an optional check. The following values must match up or you need to download the file again.
    Code:
    R800xkernel.zip (Attatched to the post)
    1a2e9a665fee7332867157c11aa321c9

System.sin
    3ebf12d10c195b92ff72c41d325592de

Kernel.sin (Should be inside attatched file to the post or inside full ftf)
    7ba1e6e3b698ad55f6bea0406196d337

Stock kernel and system.ftf
    d519365f7220382a42fdecd554aa4b64

Full Stock Minus TA. FTF
    465d52867582a4d1eee8166807bb97ac

Potentially Safe to Remove Applications

Users have personally removed and verified the following apps. Removing all of these will take every Verizon application out of your menu. And all of the games. Except for Crash. Because, honestly, who doesn't want to keep Crash.

I remove all of these apps completely (cause I live on the edge like that and I dont mind flashing a system file) but you are also free to simply rename the package and put .old on the end of it or something similar. The point will be served to get them out of your menu, but it, of course, wont clear up any of the precious little space we have. It saddens me to have to say this but I think its wise to remind everyone: you are not required to remove all these applications. If you don't know what you are deleting, don't. If you still manage to screw this up, the apps are all linked in the stock section above.
    1. /system/app/starbattalion.apk
    2. /system/app/Asphalt.apk
    3. /system/app/madden.apk
    4. /system/app/Sims.apk
    5. /system/app/tetris.apk
    6. /system/app/com.skype.android.verizon.apk
    7. /system/app/com.fusionone.android.sync.sonyericssonr800xbaclient.apk
    8. /system/app/com.vzw.vvm.androidclient.apk
    9. /system/app/com.amazon.kindle.apk
    10. /system/app/com.vznavigator.r800x.apk
    11. /system/app/com.gravitymobile.vzwinstaller.apk
    12. /system/app/com.gravitymobile.app.hornbill.apk
    13. /system/app/Launcher2.apk
    14. /system/app/Camera.apk
    15. /system/app/com.vzw.hss.myverizon.apk ##This one has to be done last. If your phone is running, prepare for it to hate you. Reboot after its gone and you should be alright.

There is a more comprehensive guide here but together by sonicfreak360. Check it out.

Tips or Tricks

Question: Cant boot or pass the Sony Ericsson logo? Can you still get into fastboot (power off and plug in USB with search button held)?
    Status: Check out the post made by gwaine later on in the thread
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41176913/system.img

stock R800X 2.3.3 System image install with Fastboot -i 0x0fce flash system system.img

Stock kernel from this thread works, Doomlords 3.0 kernel works as well, but breaks wifi (Hard reset upon turning any wifi on)
    I copied the update_package file from cache/recovery/fota. I don't know if anyone can do anything with it, but here it is.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35097081/update_package

If anything else, if anyone has to go back to 2.3.2, you could push this file to cache/recovery/fota to save time instead of waiting for the download.

EDIT: I just relocked my bootloader, and applied update. Everything went smooth, still have root, and was able to re-unlock bootloader.

EDIT: Here is the mtd2 image file I extracted from /dev/mtd/mtd2 if anyone with Linux wants to compile a boot.img from it so we have the stock 2.3.3 kernel
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35097081/mtd2.img

EDIT: And here is a Nandroid backup that gives you rooted stock 2.3.3 with all original system apps. I tested it by going back to 2.3.2 by wiping data, cache, system, flashing kernel.sin and system.sin from 2.3.2 in fastboot. Rebooting to verify stock w/o root, then fastbooted recoveryPLAY.img and applied this nandroid backup. This is a way to get 2.3.3 kernel and system without having to relock bootloader, receiving ota, and then re-unlock bootloader.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35097081/R800x_2.3.3_stock_rooted.zip
    Note: This was made by me after locking bootloader, receiving and installing ota 2.3.3, unlocking bootloader, fastboot boot recoveryPLAY.img, nandroid
    backup.
    EDIT: This backup still results in wifi not working if still on 2.3.2 when using. :(
    Have any 800x users found a way to use the latest official firmware (Ce,Generic) on there 800x? Im building a new rom and would like to have 800x support

I have been working on it with no success so far, but have an idea that I will work on this weekend to see if it works.
    Quick update: For any other noobs like myself...I extracted the ftf file on the first page of the thread using winrar, flashed the kernel.sin, rebooted. Still stuck on Sony Ericsson screen. Back to fastboot, flashed the system.sin and it worked! If that's painfully obvious that you have to do that then I at least hope it helps some other Android dummies like myself. I probably messed something up along the way when I was trying to flash the whole ftf file through fastboot (I'm not even sure that those files are compatible with fastboot but I tried it anyway last night).