Change in battery life for the worse after switching to T-Mobile?

Search This thread

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
yea, its been published in several articles about how people get better battery life on tmobiles network than on any other http://m.blog.laptopmag.com/tmobile-phones-longer-battery-life

What's the Reason?

While we don't know for certain why T-Mobile phones last longer on a charge, there are some strong possibilities. T-Mobile's network could be more efficient at sending and receiving data because of the bands it uses, or maybe there are far fewer customers on its LTE network, easing the strain. Another possibility is that T-Mobile tends to pre-load less bloatware on its flagship devices relative to the other carriers.

nooktablet

Mar 30, 2012
Actually, Im going the opposite direction it seems

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

do you get good tmobile signal in your area? when i'm at home where signal is strong i lose about 3% a day with wifi on. when i'm outside where signal is like 1 bar, battery drains noticeably fast.

another possibility i've thought about is my paranoia

Mindspin_311

Feb 25, 2011
Sandy Springs, GA
do you get good tmobile signal in your area? when i'm at home where signal is strong i lose about 3% a day with wifi on. when i'm outside where signal is like 1 bar, battery drains noticeably fast.

another possibility i've thought about is my paranoia
I checked this morning, my phone is telling me -93dBm at home. At work, Im at -96 to -100dBm. Per this link, its OK, but not great.

http://www.tested.com/tech/android/557-how-to-measure-cell-signal-strength-on-android-phones/

Wh1t3Rose

I honestly cant remember :(
Then you can't really say why battery life has gotten worse. It could be that your signal was much better then what you currently get on T-Mobile. The biggest battery drain is a poor signal. You good have had 75-85 dBm on your previous carrier which is pretty much as battery friendly as being on Wi-Fi is.

Mindspin_311

Feb 25, 2011
Sandy Springs, GA
Currently 105 at my desk at work. That must be it.

Data speeds are awesome, but maybe signal strength is just less than Sprint. Even though coverage overall is good.

nextelbuddy

Aug 13, 2009
I was on ATT had had awesome battery life. switched to tmobile and instantly battery life was worse. I could barely make it through the day when on ATT i could get 14 hours of on time and 3-4 hours of SOT where as on Tmobile I was only getting 8-9 hours of on time with round 1-2 hours of SOT.

i did not check the decibel numbers like you guys are but just going by the signal strength bar I had the same number of bars with tmobile that I did on ATT.

i switched back to ATT because of the battery drain and im back to my normal 14 hours plus 4 hours of SOT.

Here is my thread on reddit that got some good views on why it was happening. people chimed in to discuss that the nexus 5 does not have the greatest quality antenna and radio and works harder on GSM to get its signal and that on sprint with CDMA the phone shines and gets much better battery life.

http://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/29fv5w/nexus_5_vs_htc_m8_regarding_lte_coverage/

Reactions: Mindspin_311

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
i did not check the decibel numbers like you guys are but just going by the signal strength bar I had the same number of bars with tmobile that I did on ATT.

Bars are inaccurate and can't be compared between devices, between networks, or even between signal types. It's a very basic estimation so we check the -dBm levels to get results that can be compared. You can find it in your Settings > About phone > Status.

Mindspin_311

Feb 25, 2011
Sandy Springs, GA
I was on ATT had had awesome battery life. switched to tmobile and instantly battery life was worse. I could barely make it through the day when on ATT i could get 14 hours of on time and 3-4 hours of SOT where as on Tmobile I was only getting 8-9 hours of on time with round 1-2 hours of SOT.

i switched back to ATT because of the battery drain and im back to my normal 14 hours plus 4 hours of SOT.

Here is my thread on reddit that got some good views on why it was happening. people chimed in to discuss that the nexus 5 does not have the greatest quality antenna and radio and works harder on GSM to get its signal and that on sprint with CDMA the phone shines and gets much better battery life.

http://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/29fv5w/nexus_5_vs_htc_m8_regarding_lte_coverage/

That is an interesting read. Especially the fact that the N5 somehow if designed to work better with Sprint rather than the major GSM providers.

Sent from my LG G Pad GPE

Mindspin_311

Feb 25, 2011
Sandy Springs, GA
Then I lost 25% overnight...

rytatame.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.