MAC Address Changing with every Reset?

Search This thread

silvertonesx24

Jun 17, 2010
Chicago
Does anyone who doesn't have an HTC phone have this resetting address? I can't connect to my company network with this nonsense.

First the Zune Pass lockup, now this...my next WP7 will NOT be HTC.

Twistedme

Apr 11, 2007
Tampa Bay area
same issues
HTC hd7 stock T-Mobile updated yesterday also have 2 other hd7 units updated in the last few weeks and they also have the same issue. Mac change and Mac resets on each boot up. in other posts this seems to effect multiple HTC devices some felt it was specific to htcs ICS drivers which work on mango specific devices like radar and Titan but causes Mac resets on all older units. also the ICS update dumped 6gigs of music files of my phone?
I opened a support email with HTC figured the more people who report it the quicker they will fix it.

Guzman70

Nov 9, 2009
MILAN
Samsung Omnia 7 doesn't change, HTC HD2 WP7 DOES

Hi, just to confirm that my Samsung Omnia 7 Mango device never changes its MAC after reset/reboot, but my HTC HD2 upgraded to WP7 Mango as well has alwayst showed this behavior: every time I reset/reboot the MAC changes, actually the first 3 bytes never change (00:18:41) but the last 3 are always different.
Even worst, my HD2 doesn't keep correct date/time when I remove the battery... :(
HTH

G.

johnston9234

Aug 6, 2010
Greensboro
Hi, just to confirm that my Samsung Omnia 7 Mango device never changes its MAC after reset/reboot, but my HTC HD2 upgraded to WP7 Mango as well has alwayst showed this behavior: every time I reset/reboot the MAC changes, actually the first 3 bytes never change (00:18:41) but the last 3 are always different.
Even worst, my HD2 doesn't keep correct date/time when I remove the battery... :(
HTH

G.

Sounds like a NIC problem that came with the software update. The first 3 octets should be preserved since that is determined by HTC alone.

LiFePo4

Aug 19, 2011
Oregon
I forced the 7740 update using this on my VZW Trophy and tested this and the MAC does NOT change for me. Just FYI - not sure if it is the phone being different from those with issues or if it was the manual update (I got tired of waiting for VZW).

Twistedme

Apr 11, 2007
Tampa Bay area
Sounds like a NIC problem that came with the software update. The first 3 octets should be preserved since that is determined by HTC alone.

yes the 00:18:41 does designate a device by HTC however before the update we all had different HTC specific Macs that started with a different set of numbers
rolling back restores the of Mac and keeps it from changing

primexx

May 30, 2011
I tried rebooting my Mozart and it seems to retain the MAC address, with Mango (7720). ICS turned off.. Open market phone.

When I got the HTC update I noticed that the only version number which changed was the boot loader, which seems kind of weird since it looks like other phones had greater changes.

Mac filtering is not useless as a security measure. It's not used by itself. It's used in conjunction with other methods, the same way businesses also hide their wireless network's SSID.

I'm not filtering on an Open Connection. That would be retarded.

Seriously...

yea hiding your wireless SSID is also useless. Actually, it makes it worse because in order to connect one side will have to broadcast the ID. so instead of your one hotspot broadcasting it in the same stationary place, you'd be forcing every single client that wants to connect to it constantly ping the SSID's name everywhere it goes hoping for a response. have fun broadcasting your "hidden" network to the world wherever you go.

combining multiple useless measures doesn't make it any more secure, the attacker will just circumvent each one trivially in sequence. but the more you pile on, the more you make it a pain for yourself to actually use your network.

the bottom line is that if your network is secure already (i.e. secure encryption with good password), there's no need to add frivolous measures on top of that, and if your network isn't already secure, adding frivolous measures won't make it any more secure.

MAC filtering isn't useless generally, since you can use it for access restrictions of ignorant users or for other network management purposes (e.g. static leases, QoS, etc.), but it is completely and totally useless as a security measure.

Last edited:

LiFePo4

Aug 19, 2011
Oregon
I tried rebooting my Mozart and it seems to retain the MAC address, with Mango (7720). ICS turned off.. Open market phone.

When I got the HTC update I noticed that the only version number which changed was the boot loader, which seems kind of weird since it looks like other phones had greater changes.

yea hiding your wireless SSID is also useless. Actually, it makes it worse because in order to connect one side will have to broadcast the ID. so instead of your one hotspot broadcasting it in the same stationary place, you'd be forcing every single client that wants to connect to it constantly ping the SSID's name everywhere it goes hoping for a response. have fun broadcasting your "hidden" network to the world wherever you go.

combining multiple useless measures doesn't make it any more secure, the attacker will just circumvent each one trivially in sequence. but the more you pile on, the more you make it a pain for yourself to actually use your network.

the bottom line is that if your network is secure already (i.e. secure encryption with good password), there's no need to add frivolous measures on top of that, and if your network isn't already secure, adding frivolous measures won't make it any more secure.

MAC filtering isn't useless generally, since you can use it for access restrictions of ignorant users or for other network management purposes (e.g. static leases, QoS, etc.), but it is completely and totally useless as a security measure.

The issue with this thread is the MAC address changing (which should never happen) and not about network security. There is an issue with some WP7 devices and that needs to be fixed.

primexx

May 30, 2011
The issue with this thread is the MAC address changing (which should never happen) and not about network security. There is an issue with some WP7 devices and that needs to be fixed.

certainly. and if you'll see my original post, i did say "putting aside the issue for a moment". the merits of MAC filtering is relevant because OP (and others) are needlessly experiencing disruptions which they can easily avoid notwithstanding the bug on WP7. I never said they shouldn't fix the issue.

Reactions: Ttblondey

ToddeSwe

Dec 26, 2007
Alvesta
Another device to join the bugtrain

Yes, my updated HD2 WP7 7740 is changing the Mac every reboot.

If anyone is interested :)

Murray01

Nov 21, 2011
Changed priority 3G vs. WLAN

Hello everybody,
I experienced the same issue with a changing MAC-Address and uninstalled the HTC update on my debranded Mozart (prior T-Mobile Germany)

BTW I experienced another issue which I would like to share. After applying the HTC update for tethering the priority for using WLAN before 3G changed on my device.

Everytime I had 3G and WLAN activated the phone used 3G instead of WLAN. Only deactivating 3G manually the phone switched to WLAN. After uninstalling the update (Restore of the device to a version before the update) the priority was reset to default.

Does anybody else experienced that issue?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Richard Fantom

Mar 14, 2006
Warwick
Hello everybody,
I experienced the same issue with a changing MAC-Address and uninstalled the HTC update on my debranded Mozart (prior T-Mobile Germany)

BTW I experienced another issue which I would like to share. After applying the HTC update for tethering the priority for using WLAN before 3G changed on my device.

Everytime I had 3G and WLAN activated the phone used 3G instead of WLAN. Only deactivating 3G manually the phone switched to WLAN. After uninstalling the update (Restore of the device to a version before the update) the priority was reset to default.

Does anybody else experienced that issue?

Thanks in advance.

I'm also using a debranded Mozart. Changing MAC address issue is a problem for me since the 7720 (Internet Sharing) update.
I've also been having problems with all data-requiring software which would be explained by the phone prioritising 3G traffic over WLAN.

Twistedme

Apr 11, 2007
Tampa Bay area
i too had that problem right after applying the update. what i did is i roll back to the previous version and after doing so, i got my old mac address back. im ignoring the ics update i dont do ics anyways. ill wait for the 7740 update instead. im also hoping that us htc wp7 device users will get the panoramic pciture feature of the htc titan. built in panoramic capture would be totally awesome.

I can also confirm rolling back the update does restore the phones ability to read the read only devices MAC and show it once we roll back to before the HTC update (not 7740 ive not been offered it yet)

looking at pics of before I ran patch and than after running the patch and reverting to before the patch i noticed that the firmware version reverts back to 2250.21.40503.531

While even though I have rolled back to what should be an unaltered phone it did not undo the radio or the bootloader updates which are still the new version numbers so the issue is entirely in the firmware 51003 and is not an issue with either the bootloader or the radio update since they operate and function fine with the older firmware.

Before patch
firmware version= 2250.21.40503.531
radio software version=569.09.09.29a_22.50.5?? (pic cut off)
bootloader version 4.5.22250.0(129966)

after HTC update for windows phone patch
firmware version=2250.21.51003.531
radio software version=5.71.09.02a_22.51.50.21U
bootloader version 5.10.2250.0(132968)

After reverting back
firmware version= 2250.21.40503.531
radio software version=5.71.09.02a_22.51.50.21U
bootloader version 5.10.2250.0(132968)

Davey_in_dud

Aug 6, 2009
Dunedin
MAC address bug on Mozart WWE unlocked also

Yep, updated last week and I'm seeing this bug. Damn annoying!

OS ver: 7.10.7720.68
Firmware ver: 2250.21.51001.707

downloaderintruder

Jul 1, 2008
Ok so aside from the ever changing MAC address every reboot, is there any way to know the real, assigned, permanent MAC address of your phone without restoring back?

Also, my WiFi seems to be turning off every minute or so when it goes to standby, then it turns back on when opened from standby (like when you turn on the phone from standby, the WiFi icon will drop down about 2 or 3 seconds). AFAIK WiFi doesn't turn off in 7720 and earlier builds, they just disconnect from the access point (in 7720, when you turn on from standby, WiFi icon will be there at the top and try to connect). And my signal bar somewhat lost a bar or two in 3G, and takes time establishing HSDPA.

I know its good to have internet sharing now, but having these drawbacks are just annoying.

arabmed

Aug 16, 2006
Yes, my updated htc mozart WP7 7740 is changing the Mac every reboot

Yes, my updated htc mozart WP7 7740 is changing the Mac every reboot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    putting aside the weird WP7 behaviour for the moment...

MAC filtering is useless as a security measure. It's trivially spoofable by anyone who actually wants to attack your network, and causes a pain in the arse for yourself. do yourself a favour and disable it already. the only thing it might be good for is router-side internet access control of your technically challenged 8 year old who doesn't know how to use google.

just use a strong password i.e. 20+ characters alpha (upper & lower) + numeric + special characters, and proper wireless security (WPA-2 AES, or at least WPA AES) and you'll be just fine.
    With regards to the missing WiFi network - make sure it's not using Channel 13. The new update seems to disable the use of Channel 13 for some reason.

There is also another issue with the changing MAC's - I believe that some "public" WiFi networks such as the cloud use the MAC to remember your device and allow it to connect... :(
    putting aside the weird WP7 behaviour for the moment...

MAC filtering is useless as a security measure. It's trivially spoofable by anyone who actually wants to attack your network, and causes a pain in the arse for yourself. do yourself a favour and disable it already. the only thing it might be good for is router-side internet access control of your technically challenged 8 year old who doesn't know how to use google.

just use a strong password i.e. 20+ characters alpha (upper & lower) + numeric + special characters, and proper wireless security (WPA-2 AES, or at least WPA AES) and you'll be just fine.

Mac filtering is not useless as a security measure. It's not used by itself. It's used in conjunction with other methods, the same way businesses also hide their wireless network's SSID.

I'm not filtering on an Open Connection. That would be retarded.

Seriously...

certainly. and if you'll see my original post, i did say "putting aside the issue for a moment". the merits of MAC filtering is relevant because OP (and others) are needlessly experiencing disruptions which they can easily avoid notwithstanding the bug on WP7. I never said they shouldn't fix the issue.
    Yes, my updated HD2 WP7 7740 is changing the Mac every reboot.

If anyone is interested :)
    All HD2 WP7 ROMs had this behaviour.