WAREZ Thread open for Discussion.

Search This thread

colossus

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 28, 2009
Hi Guys,

I am opening this thread for discussion on the ever growing problem of some users in this forum breaking the warez rules here on Xda.

My warning here seems to be doing no good as there has been now many users banned or perm banned and totally ignoring it, although more the fool them for risking it.

So, if any of you want to contribute to a discussion on this then i am all ears also if you have been banned or infracted then give your views on why you did it as i would like to know why you did it?

Look forward to your replies guys and your thoughts on this topic.:cool:

adityam533

Jan 24, 2012
Gujarat
right

Hi Guys,

I am opening this thread for discussion on the ever growing problem of some users in this forum breaking the warez rules here on Xda.

My warning here seems to be doing no good as there has been now many users banned or perm banned and totally ignoring it, although more the fool them for risking it.

So, if any of you want to contribute to a discussion on this then i am all ears also if you have been banned or infracted then give your views on why you did it as i would like to know why you did it?

every 1 has right to post either question or any devlopment.... .i too ignore spam a

abizerl123

Feb 25, 2012
Pune
i had posted a link for a member who wanted help in qvga games
xda forums is der to help and discuss issues and also solve them

and then u get banned for it??

colossus

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 28, 2009
i had posted a link for a member who wanted help in qvga games
xda forums is der to help and discuss issues and also solve them

and then u get banned for it??

Maybe you have a problem understanding what Warez is then as i have looked at your proflile and you have 2 infractions against your name. One was for asking for somebody to upload you a paid app and the other for posting a link where you could download paid games for free.

Please read the warez rule and tell me which part you do not understand??

6. Do not post warez.

If a piece of software requires you to pay to use it, either pay or find your cracks and serials somewhere else. We do not accept warez nor do we permit any member to promote or describe ways in which Warez, cracks, serial codes or other means of avoiding payment, can be obtained.

zcop

Nov 17, 2011
Hanoi
can we evading the rule by Google "abcxyz mediafire" . I dont blame mediafire but the trust is mediafire have alot of paid apk:confused: :D
Or sent though private ms
Or just say "Go and buy it"

Last edited:

Aspire

Dec 27, 2011
Vancouver
I guess, Private Messaging is fine and nothing beats telling them to buy it...

@colussus
Please clarify the google bit?

colossus

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 28, 2009
can we evading the rule by Google "abcxyz mediafire" . I dont blame mediafire but the trust is mediafire have alot of paid apk:confused: :D
Or sent though private ms
Or just say "Go and buy it"

Just say "go and buy it" it is as simple as that, suggesting ways of finding it falls in the rules.

What nobody has explained to me is why this forum is far worse than any other i cover?

I get no joy in banning users, mostly all of us are here for the love tech and i am no different to you. Banning somebody for breaking this rule is dis-heartening as it can easily be prevented but i am confused why so many ignore the rules and warnings??

One guy yesterday started a thread here breaking the warez rules, he had already been infracted for this previously, i closed it and infracted him and his response was to start opening more and more so in the end got a months ban. How pointless was that??

zcop

Nov 17, 2011
Hanoi
- May be create an account is too easy so people dont care about rule :(
- trying to sabotage XDA :eek:

Aspire

Dec 27, 2011
Vancouver
Just go over these suggestions please.
- maybe you could add some filters that will prevent people with less than say 10 posts from posting a URL?
- Maybe the first 10 posts need to be approved by a moderator?

colossus

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 28, 2009
- maybe you could add some filters that will prevent people with less than say 10 posts from posting a URL?

Any ideas are welcome buddy and thankyou for your input. Your 10 posts before being allowed to posts a URL seems a good idea and i will check that out with admin.;)

Do you guys think the Warez rule no 6 wants making clearer, do you think that maybe this is a problem for some or do you think the ones who keep breaking it just do not care??

6. Do not post warez.

If a piece of software requires you to pay to use it, either pay or find your cracks and serials somewhere else. We do not accept warez nor do we permit any member to promote or describe ways in which Warez, cracks, serial codes or other means of avoiding payment, can be obtained.

Last edited:

colossus

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 28, 2009
- May be create an account is too easy so people dont care about rule :(
- trying to sabotage XDA :eek:

Yes, there will always be users who join just to cause havoc, i think you will find that in most forums but they soon show on our radar and are given the boot very quickly.;)

a.cid

RC / Retired Mod / Portal Team
Nov 18, 2011
Mumbai
Any ideas are welcome buddy and thankyou for your input. Your 10 posts before being allowed to posts a URL seems a good idea and i will check that out with admin.;)

Do you guys think the Warez rule no 6 wants making clearer, do you think that maybe this is a problem for some or do you think the ones who keep breaking it just do not care??

yes, it could be a little clearer.....
i was infracted for just mentioning about a warez software (no link or anything else whatsoever)....but i hadnt read the rules earlier so i kinda deserved that for ignorance....

after i read the rules, it says that "do not post warez"....instead it could be a little more wide...
like "do not ask for warez, nor help any one with warez...if you see a thread/post which contains direct download link for a software/game/app which requires you to pay/buy it for its use, then please report it"

^^just my suggestion...making them a little more clearer should help....

martin_s5670

Feb 20, 2012
Berlin
I think also, no 6 could be clearer and in its effect "stronger". To say, "We do not accept warez nor do we permit any member to promote or describe ways in which Warez, cracks, serial codes or other means of avoiding payment, can be obtained." without an effect, which has very often no direct reaction, is too weak. For example, Aspire's suggestions should have regarded to.

Mr.Oug

Dec 5, 2011
Pune
Ah well first of all thanks for making thus topic. To answer your question well the people that come to this specific forum are in the age of 14 to 18 and are mainly noobs who have no idea about what rules are I have also moderated one of the big communities in orkut and I now what its like to handle such a vast variety of people from noobs (just saying) to developers. And about solving the problem well its one hell of a task and can hardly be achieved. But some strict rules should be applied to this forum

Sent from my GT-S5670 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Guys,

i was infracted for just mentioning about a warez software (no link or anything else whatsoever)....but i hadnt read the rules earlier so i kinda deserved that for ignorance....

after i read the rules, it says that "do not post warez"....instead it could be a little more wide...
    like "do not ask for warez, nor help any one with warez...if you see a thread/post which contains direct download link for a software/game/app which requires you to pay/buy it for its use, then please report it"

In fact we have put in place a block on those with fewer than 10 posts being able to post external URLs.

Getting the first ten posts approved would be ideal, but not possible in practice. We have nearly 40000 users online at a time of which 1000 per day are new users and of course many from previous days have not yet reached 10 posts. In practice this means perhaps as many as 15000 users online have fewer than ten posts. It's just not possible to manually approve the 40 or so thousand posts per day that they make.:eek::eek:

I think also, no 6 could be clearer and in its effect "stronger". To say, "We do not accept warez nor do we permit any member to promote or describe ways in which Warez, cracks, serial codes or other means of avoiding payment, can be obtained." without an effect, which has very often no direct reaction, is too weak. For example, Aspire's suggestions should have regarded to.

The above two suggestions are interesting, but to be honest, I think the problem is that new users (and many older ones) simply have not read or remembered the rules. It's more ignorance of the rules than people not understanding or being clear about them.

We often get these issues arising in forums that are popular and have many new users. It is about educating them and they will learn that there are penalties for ignoring the rules.

Essentially the penalties and thinking are:

• A PM warning - if what a person has done is very minor or perhaps is getting close to breaking a rule.
    • An infraction worth 5 points. When you get to 10 a ban is possible.
    • At 10 infraction points, the Forum Mod consults with other Mods and a decision is made about whether a ban is imposed and for how long it lasts. It could be from 1 day to permanent.
    • Posting or discussing Warez is seen as a serious offence at xda-developers. Why, because we are a site for Developers and when someone supplies Warez they are stealing from Developers. Some Developers who post free things here, earn their living from selling software or work for software companies, so folk that supply Warez are cheating our own developers.
    MikeChannon
    Forum Admin
    btw what are the infraction points u need for a temp ban and a permanent ban?

Since the "Iron fist" came in users are given a temp ban at 10 points now. Perm ban can be given anytime if it warrants it.

This is something that can be put to admin.

Ah well first of all thanks for making thus topic. To answer your question well the people that come to this specific forum are in the age of 14 to 18 and are mainly noobs who have no idea about what rules are I have also moderated one of the big communities in orkut and I now what its like to handle such a vast variety of people from noobs (just saying) to developers. And about solving the problem well its one hell of a task and can hardly be achieved. But some strict rules should be applied to this forum

Sent from my GT-S5670 using xda premium

You are welcome and thanks for your post.:)

The issue is one hell of a task but if we can educate a little more rather than ban then it we are all winners.;)
    Well, seriously I think most of the warez threads and posts is mainly due to thanks meter. I don't know what joy these noobs get by filling the thanks meter. Seriously they think that posting links of paid apps will fetch them more thanks. Due to this also many a times spam thread are made which results in bloating of general section and theme section. They just make threads and threads about unuseful stuff just for thanks. I don't say sharing is bad. Making thread about some useful or good stuff is fine but why spam. I think you people should add something like -1 or thumbs down button which cancels the thanks count. This could seriously decrease some amount of trolls and spammers as no one would like a -ve meter. If noobs are so mad in getting thanks they would then also be afraid of getting negative meter.