(Q) amoled screen black spots, and how fast the screen degrades

Search This thread

JeramyEggs

Jan 4, 2011
Charleston Il
Alright, I know if I search, I can find hundreds of articles about how this happens on amoled screens. I am not trying to beat a dead horse, but this will be my first amoled screen. How bad are the black spots? At what point is it bad enough to get a replacement? Being a "power user"(5 hours screen on a day), will the screen degrade before a 2 year contract is up? I jumped on a Rezound when it first came out, and it has burned me, I just don't want to feel let down because my screen went to pot 6 months in. Thanks

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
Alright, I know if I search, I can find hundreds of articles about how this happens on amoled screens. I am not trying to beat a dead horse, but this will be my first amoled screen. How bad are the black spots? At what point is it bad enough to get a replacement? Being a "power user"(5 hours screen on a day), will the screen degrade before a 2 year contract is up? I jumped on a Rezound when it first came out, and it has burned me, I just don't want to feel let down because my screen went to pot 6 months in. Thanks

A second post? Really?

Sorry you don't like the answers but here we try again. Every single one of them will have it. Never seen an AMOLED screen that doesn't. Second you could get one worse or get one better. Pure gambling. Also, it doesn't get worse over time.

Apparently all this looking around and searching you didn't bother to read what you found.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: kintwofan

ChaoticWeaponry

Oct 23, 2011

I've had the phone for 3 months, at least 8 hours of screen on time per day, everything still looks like it's brand new.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

Reactions: JeramyEggs

kimdoocheol

Jan 9, 2012
Get insurance and don't worry about it.

The only reason I got insurance on this phone was purely because of the screen.

kimdoocheol

Jan 9, 2012
Screen defects don't require insurance.

Huh? I've called with my old DROID and got a replacement because the colors were messed up on the screen slightly.

Also I got a replacement before because the headphone jack had some static.

Never had an issue. They also cover water, physical and and if it gets stolen so yeah... Not encouraging anything but it is really easy to get a replacement.

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III
Huh? I've called with my old DROID and got a replacement because the colors were messed up on the screen slightly.

Never had an issue. They also cover water, physical and and if it gets stolen so yeah... Not encouraging anything but it is really easy to get a replacement.

What he's saying is for a screen defect the warranty would cover it. So there's no need to pay for insurance.

Sent from the dark on a Note 2

Reactions: adrynalyne

JeramyEggs

Jan 4, 2011
Charleston Il
Thanks for the responses, except for the douche response from no sympathy. If you dont like stupid questions, dont respond with stupid answers, just skip it. Glad you were able to rage anonymously at a stranger. I asked because i have read that after 1000 hours, the screen degrades. If you do the math, that means the screen starts going out in 7 months. Since this is my first screen that is a amoled, i wanted someone with experience with them. I was asking for personal experience, and it was helpful. Thanks guys.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using xda app-developers app

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
Thanks for the responses, except for the douche response from no sympathy. If you dont like stupid questions, dont respond with stupid answers, just skip it. Glad you were able to rage anonymously at a stranger. I asked because i have read that after 1000 hours, the screen degrades. If you do the math, that means the screen starts going out in 7 months. Since this is my first screen that is a amoled, i wanted someone with experience with them. I was asking for personal experience, and it was helpful. Thanks guys.

You created two threads for the same purpose. Also if that is what you were worried about why didn't you say that in the first place about the 1000 hours etc.

Sorry that I tried to help you the first time only for you too make a second thread asking pretty much the same thing.

Also I can be far worse than this and have been. I am sorry I tried to help you since you don't seem to want help.

JeramyEggs

Jan 4, 2011
Charleston Il
First, this is my one, and only thread about this. Second, the lightning bolt post isnt mine. It is the reason I asked. Third, I did read multiple articles, and threads, and the answers were all over the place. And fourth, I really like your roms on the incredible, thanks for building them. I think you got confused on the posts, and could see how you could get annoyed at someone spamming the same question, unfortunately, you got confused. I will give you the sympathy that you refuse to give others. Kinda hard to go all hard assed when apparently, you cant read the posts correctly to begin with. Why don't yoy take your own advice, and read before making comments. Here is where you posted in the thread you thought I created

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2149005

Screen defect

And this is the thread I created. See different people. Similar question, but not really. I knew about the defect, just wondered how wide spread, and bad it really was. Really, not trying to be a little $#! T about it, but your attitude sucks. The reason there is a Q n A is for stuff like this. Hope we end up on the same side of the next arguement.;)

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
First, this is my one, and only thread about this. Second, the lightning bolt post isnt mine. It is the reason I asked. Third, I did read multiple articles, and threads, and the answers were all over the place. And fourth, I really like your roms on the incredible, thanks for building them. I think you got confused on the posts, and could see how you could get annoyed at someone spamming the same question, unfortunately, you got confused. I will give you the sympathy that you refuse to give others. Kinda hard to go all hard assed when apparently, you cant read the posts correctly to begin with. Why don't yoy take your own advice, and read before making comments. Here is where you posted in the thread you thought I created

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2149005

Screen defect

And this is the thread I created. See different people. Similar question, but not really. I knew about the defect, just wondered how wide spread, and bad it really was. Really, not trying to be a little $#! T about it, but your attitude sucks. The reason there is a Q n A is for stuff like this. Hope we end up on the same side of the next arguement.;)

That's weird. My xda app is showing the same avatar for you and the other guy but it is different on the computer. I went off of that. Sorry! Lol. Fooled by the xda app. Thought you were just posting twice because you didn't like my answer before since these threads are so close and your post in this one mimics what I told the other guy too do.

I generally do have a bad attitude on here. Mostly because when I first joined this site people actually read first and read second and read third before doing things. Now people just either post questions without reading or post issues because they didn't read first. I generally give the person crap but still answer their questions. Could be worse and I could just be a jerk.

Also I don't think I ever made ROMs for the incredible?! If I did go me for doing something I didn't know I did! Haha. I've only released two ROMs and they were for the GSIII back when it first came out and no one could figure out how to deodexe them correctly and I decided I was going to learn how to dev and do it myself. That also led me to get a shorter fuse as if I could teach myself as much as I did, then why should everyone else always get a free ride and just be handed answers.

I also am man enough to admit that I got you mixed up with someone else here. Still doesn't mean you should have resulted in calling me names as to be fair we really didn't need a second thread with this as you could have asked your question in the other thread first.

JeramyEggs

Jan 4, 2011
Charleston Il
Yeah, I should have posted in the first thread, my bad. I try and answer my questions in searches, and by doing so, I end up in all kinds of different forums. I took yout post the wrong way this morning, and didnt read it until later. Could have sworn I ran a no sympathy rom on either the incredible, or nook color. Anywho, was just trying to get a feel for how bad it is, and if it will bother me beyond belief. Like i said, no hard feelings, and thanks.

DaRkL3AD3R

Dec 5, 2010
Just thought I'd put this out there. You WILL get AMOLED burn out just by using the phone. The second the display goes on for the first time the organic substrate is already starting to decay, it's just the way it is.

The catch is how long before you start seeing burned in app drawer rings and notification bars all over grey/white images. I'd expect if you use the phone for hours a day with the brightness up pretty high you could start seeing the burn outs in less than 6 months. They claim something like 15,000 hours of lifetime for the blue pixels, which have it the worst of the 3 colors, but people report seeing them in less than 500 hours. Brightness definitely has a huge impact as running with max brightness will result in much faster burn out.

Does it really matter though is another question. Before anyone flames my post and the information I provided as saying "well you're gonna get a new phone in less than a year anyway" just know that not everyone does that. Some people like to ride out their phones until they really feel it's time to get a new one. With this device I'd anticipate people riding it for at least 3 years and being very satisfied even at the end of the third year, with the performance. That means for those people holding onto this device they should be aware of ways to minimize burn out so they don't end up with eyesores 12 months into ownership.

As for the black spots, yep. Every single AMOLED device I've ever owned (around 4) they've all had it. Very disappointed that my Note 2 has them. Not all of them do but I wouldn't be able to tell you the odds of finding one without the splotches. Just know that I can certifiably say I know what to look for when searching for these spots and my brother's Note 2 100% does not have them. At all. Yeah, I am jelly.

So if you want to play the return/exchange game trying to get a display without the splotches good luck to you. Me personally? My display has 0 dead/stuck pixels. This to me is worth far more than a display with no spots but dead/stuck pixels. And that is my 2 pennies.

Reactions: JeramyEggs

mrlaigle

Jul 22, 2010
That's weird. My xda app is showing the same avatar for you and the other guy but it is different on the computer. I went off of that. Sorry! Lol. Fooled by the xda app. Thought you were just posting twice because you didn't like my answer before since these threads are so close and your post in this one mimics what I told the other guy too do.

I generally do have a bad attitude on here. Mostly because when I first joined this site people actually read first and read second and read third before doing things. Now people just either post questions without reading or post issues because they didn't read first. I generally give the person crap but still answer their questions. Could be worse and I could just be a jerk.

Also I don't think I ever made ROMs for the incredible?! If I did go me for doing something I didn't know I did! Haha. I've only released two ROMs and they were for the GSIII back when it first came out and no one could figure out how to deodexe them correctly and I decided I was going to learn how to dev and do it myself. That also led me to get a shorter fuse as if I could teach myself as much as I did, then why should everyone else always get a free ride and just be handed answers.

I also am man enough to admit that I got you mixed up with someone else here. Still doesn't mean you should have resulted in calling me names as to be fair we really didn't need a second thread with this as you could have asked your question in the other thread first.

OFF TOPIC: Nosympathy is that a supra in your signature?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

xdadevnube

Jun 28, 2011
I have a minor black streak that is only visible when the screen is displaying a black image. Even a small amount of color on the back background makes it difficult to spot.
Overall I am very happy with the Note 2 screen.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

A second post? Really?

Sorry you don't like the answers but here we try again. Every single one of them will have it. Never seen an AMOLED screen that doesn't. Second you could get one worse or get one better. Pure gambling. Also, it doesn't get worse over time.

Apparently all this looking around and searching you didn't bother to read what you found.

I've had the phone for 3 months, at least 8 hours of screen on time per day, everything still looks like it's brand new.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium
    Get insurance and don't worry about it.

The only reason I got insurance on this phone was purely because of the screen.

Screen defects don't require insurance.

What he's saying is for a screen defect the warranty would cover it. So there's no need to pay for insurance.

Thank you for that explaining that :)