[ROM][4.4][noobdev] CM 11.0 with app2sd, glove mode, dual boot for all S4 variants

Search This thread

TheAvatar

Aug 30, 2007
Canberra
Reactions: chenxiaolong

daddyspud

Nov 14, 2010
leicestershire
hi chaps im dual booting with omegle roms but i cant get any network connection and camera keeps telling me that it cant connect ill pull some logs i currently have 16/9/2013 installed tried 17/9/2013 as well both same result

camera log http://pastebin.com/ERP3CyqM
network log http://pastebin.com/1suVCYjL when i switch to omegle rom i have full signal
network log 2 when i click choose automatically http://pastebin.com/FsrvcDKv

Last edited:

Stevemeister

Dec 25, 2011
I really love the feature to swype the status bar down when in a fullscreen app. That's really the only thing CM missed compared to TouchWiz haha.
Good thing youve cherry picked it chenxiaolong! Works like a charm so they should really merge this one soon and put it on by default because I cant think of a reason why it should be disabled.

chenxiaolong

Sep 29, 2011
hi chaps im dual booting with omegle roms but i cant get any network connection and camera keeps telling me that it cant connect ill pull some logs i currently have 16/9/2013 installed tried 17/9/2013 as well both same result

camera log http://pastebin.com/ERP3CyqM
network log http://pastebin.com/1suVCYjL when i switch to omegle rom i have full signal
network log 2 when i click choose automatically http://pastebin.com/FsrvcDKv

Hmm...are you using a custom kernel? According to the logs, the camera doesn't work because of this line:

Code:
E/mm-camera-intf(  332): mm_camera_open: cannot open control fd of '/dev/video0' (Invalid argument)

As far as I know, that could only be caused by a bad kernel or a bad camera firmware.

chenxiaolong

Sep 29, 2011
Hi all, it is possible to have a .zip flashable for glove mode? Thanks

Unfortunately not because glove mode requires changes to framework. You could theoretically copy the framework from my ROM to the one you use, but it is extremely likely that would cause FCs.

EDIT: If the ROM is open-source, I can help the developer incorporate the patches into his/her ROM.

Reactions: Stinocon

chenxiaolong

Sep 29, 2011
I really love the feature to swype the status bar down when in a fullscreen app. That's really the only thing CM missed compared to TouchWiz haha.
Good thing youve cherry picked it chenxiaolong! Works like a charm so they should really merge this one soon and put it on by default because I cant think of a reason why it should be disabled.

Thanks!

That's actually one of my favorite features in TouchWiz. I'm really glad someone implemented it in CM :) I really hate having to get out of a full screen app just to see the time or notifications.

Reactions: dikime

daddyspud

Nov 14, 2010
leicestershire
Hmm...are you using a custom kernel? According to the logs, the camera doesn't work because of this line:

Code:
E/mm-camera-intf(  332): mm_camera_open: cannot open control fd of '/dev/video0' (Invalid argument)

As far as I know, that could only be caused by a bad kernel or a bad camera firmware.

Hi thanks for reply im not using any custom kernel just stock from ur cm10 its rather strange never come across issues with cm I thought I would provide logs as helps loads also did u notice anythink reguarding the network ????

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

iamnotkurtcobain

Oct 30, 2010
Vienna
Latest update lost all its smoothness. :(

Stock kernel? Yeah it seems not as snappy as it should be (for such a hardware) but I guess it isn't commit related as there is no special commit (just the one kernel commit but I'm using ktoonsez kernel).
Scrolling is choppy and overall snappiness isn't there. Can't explain why..

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9505 mit Tapatalk 2

boterkaaseneieren

May 12, 2013
bit.ly
Stock kernel? Yeah it seems not as snappy as it should be (for such a hardware) but I guess it isn't commit related as there is no special commit (just the one kernel commit but I'm using ktoonsez kernel).
Scrolling is choppy and overall snappiness isn't there. Can't explain why..

Yes very choppy. Stock kernel. Can't believe this. Also charging can't keep up with me using the phone.

diddly3000

Nov 10, 2011
headford
I signed into google +. Normally when i do, my profile pic in messaging changes to Google plus one. Now its just blank and When I click my profile account pic in sms it says contact does other exist?

I tried Removing account and adding it again but no luck

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

chenxiaolong

Sep 29, 2011
No problems here. This is the only commit I could find that got merged last night for our device: http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/50569/

Btw chenxiaolong do you know which blobs cm uses for CM10.2 (by that I mean firmware version)?

The blobs actually come from all different versions:

ril (jfltexx) - TouchWiz MGA
ril (jfltetmo) - TouchWiz MDL
ril (jflteatt) - TouchWiz MF3
ril (jfltespr) - TouchWiz MF9
ril (jfltecsp) - TouchWiz MFA
ril (jfltevzw) - TouchWiz MF9
Camera binaries (all) - Google Edition MH5
Camera firmware (all) - Google Edition MH5
mpdecision (all) - Google Edition version before MH1?
thermald/thermal-engine (all) - Google Edition MFD?
GPU drivers and libraries - Google Edition MH1 or the version before that
Broadcom wireless card firmware - Google Edition version before MH1

A huge mess, right? :D

Stevemeister

Dec 25, 2011
The blobs actually come from all different versions:

ril (jfltexx) - TouchWiz MGA
ril (jfltetmo) - TouchWiz MDL
ril (jflteatt) - TouchWiz MF3
ril (jfltespr) - TouchWiz MF9
ril (jfltecsp) - TouchWiz MFA
ril (jfltevzw) - TouchWiz MF9
Camera binaries (all) - Google Edition MH5
Camera firmware (all) - Google Edition MH5
mpdecision (all) - Google Edition version before MH1?
thermald/thermal-engine (all) - Google Edition MFD?
GPU drivers and libraries - Google Edition MH1 or the version before that
Broadcom wireless card firmware - Google Edition version before MH1

A huge mess, right? :D

Just as I thought, a huge mess indeed :D. They should be more consistant with those blobs (except ril), makes things easier.

But I'm kinda bored with Android 4.3 now. I need something new like a Kit Kat flavoured Android ;).

Reactions: chenxiaolong

iamnotkurtcobain

Oct 30, 2010
Vienna
Just as I thought, a huge mess indeed :D. They should be more consistant with those blobs (except ril), makes things easier.

But I'm kinda bored with Android 4.3 now. I need something new like a Kit Kat flavoured Android ;).

+1

Bored as hell with Jelly Bean. Since Ics it all seems the same.. Hope we get more performance and visual improvements with kitkat.

rinxas

Aug 5, 2010
Lisbon
I'm trying to flash this dual booting with Omega v10 and i'm getting a black screen after flashing the zip. I had about 900mb free on the /system partition, is it enough?

I've flashed a patched ktoonsez kernel and now it's loading, but it seems to be stuck on the "Android is upgrading..." screen...

Followed every step from the guide and still nothing...Primary works fine...LED lights up on second ROM and it connects to PC but I get a black screen

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please check the stability of the nightlies before flashing or updading: http://tinyurl.com/noobdevFebruary CM has been merging some problematic commits lately.

The noobdev team is proud to present its noobdev CyanogenMod nightlies! This ROM is pure unmodified CyanogenMod with additional useful features, such as IR and app2sd support, as well as other device specific fixes and features. If you want me to add a specific commit or feature, just leave a post here.

Huge thanks to all the developers that made this possible and also the donators for supporting this ROM!

Enjoy!

Donators:
    • [MENTION]WoodburyMan[/MENTION]
    • [MENTION]corkythetard[/MENTION]
    • [MENTION]BillGoss[/MENTION]
    • [MENTION]marvi0[/MENTION]
    • [MENTION]bhtm[/MENTION]
    • Benjamin Benichou
    • [MENTION]Buster99[/MENTION]
    • [MENTION]Tjoffe66[/MENTION]

Features:

Instructions:

1. Flash CM 11.0 and the gapps below.
    2. Clear /data and /cache if you are coming from another ROM.
    3. Reboot.

Dual boot instructions:

[LINK] DualBootUtilities zip
    [LINK] Dual Boot Enabler/Disabler
    [LINK] Dual Boot Switcher app
    [LINK] Gapps for secondary ROM

NOTE: Before you do anything, download the DualBootUtilities zip and dual-boot enabler/disabler zips to your SD card. They'll really come in handy if something doesn't work right ;)

1. Download the Dual Boot Switcher app and install it.
    2. Open the app and set the current kernel as the primary kernel (screenshot)
    3. Remove some bloatware with Titanium Backup or convert some system apps to user apps (ChatON, WatchON, S Health, Chrome) with this app Stock TouchWiz + this ROM will not fit on the /system partition
    4. Reboot into recovery
    5. Flash DualBootEnable.zip
    6. Flash a >= 20130908 build of this ROM
    7. Flash the dual boot Gapps above
    8. Reboot
    9. Install the Dual Boot Switcher app again in the secondary ROM
    10. Enjoy!

IMPORTANT: Please don't use the recovery's built-in wiping features. Use the zip files in the "helpful zips" instead.

How do I...?

• Switch the ROM if something doesn't work properly?
      • Flash DualBootUtilities.zip. You will get a menu allowing you to switch to the primary or secondary ROM.

• Wipe /cache, /data, /system, or dalvik-cache?
      • Flash DualBootUtilities.zip. You will get a menu that lets to wipe the respective partitions for either the primary or the secondary ROM.
      • It's important to not use the recovery's built-in wiping functions because they may delete files needed for the secondary ROM.

• Update the primary ROM?
      • Edit META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script so that it does not format /system or /dev/block/mmcblk0p16 (because the 16th partition is /system)
      • Flash DualBootUtilities.zip before updating the ROM and choose Wipe Primary /system. If the primary ROM is AOSP-based, you will need to reflash Gapps.
      • Make sure to set the kernel as primary in the dual boot switcher app

• Update the secondary ROM (this ROM)?
      • Just flash the update as usual :)

• Flash a mod or custom kernel for the primary ROM?
      • Just flash it :)
      • If it's a custom kernel, make sure you set it in the dual boot switcher app.

Downloads:

Nightlies start building automatically at around 4:00 AM EST every day! They can be downloaded here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/unofficial-cm/files/Nightlies/

Gapps: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2397942

Samsung WatchON for the IR blaster can now be downloaded from Google Play.

Source code:

Anyone is free to use my patches in their ROM :) However, I will not be submitting any more non-critical patches to upstream CM. I can't accept that my code could potentially be sold for a profit or distributed as closed source.

How do I...?

Todo

• Moving obb in app2sd implementation

Who's in the noobdev team?
    • chenxiaolong (me!)
    • WoodburyMan

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][4.4][noobdev] CM 11.0 with app2sd, glove mode, dual boot for all S4 variants, a ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S 4

Contributors
    chenxiaolong
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information

Created 2013-09-14
    Last Updated 2014-02-02
    I just merged the 4947-line mega patch for the feature I hinted at earlier :D https://github.com/chenxiaolong/hud...e-dialer/0001-Open-source-Google-Dialer.patch

I spent the last two days reverse-engineering the Google Dialer and I'm happy to say we now have a working open-source implementation of it! Because my implementation is open-source, it is built into the CyanogenMod dialer, meaning you don't lose any features, like call blocking.

Prerequisites:

You need to have a Google Apps package installed for the Nearby Places and Caller ID features to work. For those who don't use Google Apps, the dialer will continue to work as before.

Screenshots:

jk6MQqT.png
    nrpx3TY.png
    NvPXX3u.png
    Y9Da2te.png
    IFNEsje.png
    0D8w4gH.png

Source code:

Java code: https://github.com/chenxiaolong/hud...e-dialer/0001-Open-source-Google-Dialer.patch
    Auto-merged translations: https://github.com/chenxiaolong/hud...1-Auto-merge-Google-Dialer-translations.patch
    Re-add LoaderCallback (CyanogenMod-specific): https://github.com/chenxiaolong/hud...d-LoaderCallbacks-to-CyanogenMod-dialer.patch
    Will the cra**y webview/chromium performance with aosp browser, instagram, google now,... ever be fixed? Why did they ditch the smoother and faster webkit?

Gesendet von meinem SGH-M919 mit Tapatalk

WILL YOU FINALLY ANSWER MY QUESTION AND RESPOND, PLEASE!! WHAT ARE U COMPARING YOUR EXPERIENCE TO? WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU COMPLAINING ABOUT???? WHAT LAG, WHAT STUTTER!?! WHAT KIND OF DEVICE ARE YOU COMPARING YOUR EXPERIENCE TO!?

You really have to start to elaborate on what it is you are CONSTANTLY complaining about. You, the man on top of all cherry picks and commits should know that we have an in rom screen recorder now....

SHOW US WHAT YOU'RE CONSTANTLY *****ING ABOUT. SHOW US THIS LAG, THIS HORRIBLE, LIFE RUINING, MUST HAVE BETTER, MIND BLOWING, BUTTERY SMOOTH THING YOUR SAD, CLOSED LIFE DESIRES.

Your immature, feed me attitude is ruining the experience for other users.

PRODUCE SOMETHING. A log cat, definitive evidence, A DONATION, anything!!!!!

If you can't, just stfu, this isn't a complaint thread for the inept. This is a development thread. If you have some OCD or some kind of perfectionism issue, see a therapist. Leave KT and this thread alone, you contribute ZERO.

An hero, please.
    To clarify the problem and hopefully ease tensions....

In Android 4.4 just about everything is a improvement. The only main issue that we've noticed is that Google basically screwed over the stock browser and webkit. They plan on phasing it out soon and using Blink most likely or switching Android to include Chrome by default. Because of that, there are many new issues and performance issues with Stock Browser / Webkit. As far as if there's anything that can fix it, there is most likely nothing any dev's for CM or maintainers of this ROM can do, as it's a upstream problem with Google. Maybe they'll fix it in the upcoming 4.4.1 release that's been spotted across the web. May not. Either way it's out of their hands. If this is really such a huge issue that makes your phone unusable, then Android 4.3.1 is the way to go, or earlier. Given also CyanogenMod11 / 4.4 is still in pretty much Alpha form, and the fact that CyanogenMod lost many developers for Samsung between both Samsung's policy against modding, and the larger drama involved with so call "commercialization" of CyanogenMod, our devices are not as well maintained as they once were, so it will take longer for 4.4 to become stable on these vs 4.3 and 4.2. (Reason why I'm selling my S4 and just picked up a Nexus 5...)

Now. Onward to your specific case @iamnotkurtcobain You've been helpful in this thread. However, constantly complaining about the lag does not help when others cannot reproduce it. Most people here use Chrome, and what stock browser experience they have seems normal. We would need a logcat of this issue, or better yet with screen recording a option now, a video or something of this behavior. I understand you're complaining about Google, and being nice to everyone in this thread and not blaming the dev's or anything, but it creates a somewhat negative vibe about something no one can do anything about (Perhaps overall because of a upstream issue, most definitely nothing without a logcat or a video). If you show me something specific I can even test it on my Nexus 5 to see if it's a specific problem with the S4 or not as well. Just we need _something_ to go on. The reason why everyone here seems to be "jumping out" at you is because of their frustration. They want to help you, after all that's what this thread and XDA is all about in general. Helping. They just need the tools/details from you to help figure it out or at least try to. I am sure if you posted a video detailing the problem with a logcat everywhere would be fine and happy.
    Got everything working! Nightlies coming soon :)