[Q&A] S3Rx 2.0 (4.1.2)(MG2)

Search This thread

vitalyg149

Dec 15, 2013
Like I said, unlocking has nothing to do with the rom. You can try calling AT&T for an unlock code.

Than you for the info. I did not know that unlocking is not rom related. Can you please educate me? Is it bootloader or what part? I had CM 10.2.1 installed before and i believe it was unlocked... Thank you!

Once again awesome ROM.

Sh0man

Aug 16, 2011
Beaverton
I was able to get the sim unlock code from AT&T customer service about 6 months ago when I wanted to use Docomo's SIM.
At the time, I was on CM10.1.2

erlenmeyer316

Apr 21, 2009
Coming from CM11 M3

I had a question regarding the bootloader and modems. I'm currently running CM11 M3 and I believe it has updated my bootloader and/or modems because now I'm unable to return to stock via Odin.

I was curious how I can find out what booloader and modems I'm currently running so that I can determine if I can install S3Rx? I guess I have some concern that if I follow the instructions and flash the bootloader and modems in the first post that I could brick my phone.

coollkidd

Apr 27, 2011
Chicago
S3Rx battery life?

How's the battery life with this ROM, on stock my battery life is crap, cant even last 8 hours with minimal screen time... And it says the Samsung Apps is included, I have the Gear 2 Neo, will it work with this ROM, or will I have to do some sideloading? Thanks

Luisvl

May 4, 2014
I´m using a i747M device can I install the ROM without flashing the bootloader and the modem?

csheri

May 14, 2014
Stock

I have my phone rooted, but I don't CWM or any custom bootloader. Can I flash your S3Rx ROM with the stock?

csheri

May 14, 2014

Is there a possibility of there being a 4.4 version of this ROM in the future? I finally flashed the most recent 4.3 version and it's phenominal. Really looking forward to a KitKat if there's a plan for it.

Ed Murray

Thank you for reply. However the unlock method you recommended no longer works. Red text = does not exist in the 4.3 its for 4.1.2 only. Also, not having 3g is a compromise I am not willing to take.

This is by far the best ROM for S3 and its a shame its not unlocked. :( Would it be possible to release unlocked version of this ROM?

Just dial the following keys *#197328640#

Main Menu
[1] UMTS
[1] Debug Screen
[8] Phone Control
[6] Network Lock
Options [3]Perso SHA256 OFF
(after choosing this option, wait about 30 seconds, then go back one step by pressing the Menu button then select Back, now you are in
[6] Network Lock then choose
[4] NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ ..... wait for a minute then reboot your phone

That unlocking method no longer works I was told. Calling AT&T has a chance of working, but only if you can make them believe your moving or travelling abroad (out of USA) and need to use a different provider for a short period of time. This didn't work for me.
I have the i747 and I unlocked it by using a popular unlocking service that I found on google. (not sure If I'm supposed to say the name here so I won't) Do a google search, and they also have youtube video's as well. it will cost $15-$20 and take a few hours to get the unlock code by email. Like loser said, it has nothing to do with the ROM, it's part of the phone itself. Additionally, once a phone is unlocked, it remains that way even if you flash another ROM or 100's of ROM's.

---------- Post added at 05:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 AM ----------

I have my phone rooted, but I don't CWM or any custom bootloader. Can I flash your S3Rx ROM with the stock?

Think you have your terms messed up. You will need to have a custom recovery installed to flash this ROM. I just flashed this rom using CWM custom recovery.

csheri

May 14, 2014
Think you have your terms messed up. You will need to have a custom recovery installed to flash this ROM. I just flashed this rom using CWM custom recovery.[/QUOTE]

No, I was saying don't have either. I had stock bootlader and stock recovery. Both were stock. It's all good now though. I opted to take a risk as I wasn't getting an answer for my bootloader question and I flashed one of the bootloaders linked on the page. And then I installed ROM Manager and it flashed the newest CWM for me. It didn't brick so I finally flashed the ROM and now everything is absolutely peachy. The battery life wasn't improved much for average or heavy use but if your screen is off and no apps are in the open, the batery literally lasts for days. So idle is fantastic. Only one bug in the entire systen. I can't set a Live Wallpaper from settings. I'm really looking forward to a 4.4 update to this ROM. I will flash Immediately.

Ed Murray

No Data

No, I was saying don't have either. I had stock bootlader and stock recovery. Both were stock. It's all good now though. I opted to take a risk as I wasn't getting an answer for my bootloader question and I flashed one of the bootloaders linked on the page. And then I installed ROM Manager and it flashed the newest CWM for me. It didn't brick so I finally flashed the ROM and now everything is absolutely peachy. The battery life wasn't improved much for average or heavy use but if your screen is off and no apps are in the open, the batery literally lasts for days. So idle is fantastic. Only one bug in the entire systen. I can't set a Live Wallpaper from settings. I'm really looking forward to a 4.4 update to this ROM. I will flash Immediately.

I'm very pleased with this ROM also, and sorry, I misunderstood you.

@loserskater - I seem to be having an issue with Data. I hadn't noticed because I live in an area where AT&T doesn't work hardly at all, but recently I have returned to work where I have full bars and can make and recieve calls/sms but no data can be used, period. Now, I use Straight Talk, and have updated my APN settings according to what I have found on this site and others. I have been trying to figure this out for 2 days now. Is it possible this has anything to do with the ROM?
SHG I747 4.3 MJB BL/Modem S3Rx 3.0 with CWM Recovery and stock Kernal. Before flashing to S3Rx I had taken the OTA 4.3 update. Any ideas anyone? Thank you

EDIT:
I changed my phones APN settings per ST instructions and when i rebooted the phone to see if they took, It hangs on the Samsung flashing blue/white boot screen forever.... sigh

Last edited:

csheri

May 14, 2014
I'm very pleased with this ROM also, and sorry, I misunderstood you.

@loserskater - I seem to be having an issue with Data. I hadn't noticed because I live in an area where AT&T doesn't work hardly at all, but recently I have returned to work where I have full bars and can make and recieve calls/sms but no data can be used, period. Now, I use Straight Talk, and have updated my APN settings according to what I have found on this site and others. I have been trying to figure this out for 2 days now. Is it possible this has anything to do with the ROM?
SHG I747 4.3 MJB BL/Modem S3Rx 3.0 with CWM Recovery and stock Kernal. Before flashing to S3Rx I had taken the OTA 4.3 update. Any ideas anyone? Thank you

EDIT:
I changed my phones APN settings per ST instructions and when i rebooted the phone to see if they took, It hangs on the Samsung flashing blue/white boot screen forever.... sigh

About your APN problems, try setting both Port & MMS Port to 80. And in the MMS Proxy, try using "mms2.tracfone.com". Some people find that this helps. I know editing the NET10 apn this way enabled my data and LTE service.

Ed Murray

About your APN problems, try setting both Port & MMS Port to 80. And in the MMS Proxy, try using "mms2.tracfone.com". Some people find that this helps. I know editing the NET10 apn this way enabled my data and LTE service.

Ty for your reply. That is exactly what I did, saved it and rebooted. It never did come back up after several tries.

I ended up reflashing the ROM (dirty flash) and still nothing.

I have been wanting to try another ROM, so I flashed it while I had the chance and LTE is now working with the standard ST APN data settings and the cingular.com MMS settings.

I'll give s3Rx another go in a while.

Thanks

redinferno

Jul 4, 2014
OTA 4.4.2 Android Version - Can I install S3Rx 4.3 with the MJB bootloader 4.3

Do you know if this is possible? I don't want to brick my phone...

Thanks,

wallyradburn

Aug 21, 2014
question about my bootloader

I'm looking to flash you s3rx ROM but before I do so, because I'm new to this and don't want to brick my phone... I want to make sure that I have downloaded the right bootloader for this ROM...

I have downloaded the vluemk5 v4.3 for the i747m s3

I currently have have
I747mVLUFNE6 baseband version..

My question is... Prior to flashing your ROM... Is it imperative I install the I747MVLUEMK5 boot loader ?

IF SO
Could you give me the correct steps to do so that I don't brick my device...
Also if I choose to flash a different ROM in the future do I need to then change the bootloader again?

Your help would be greatly appreciated . thanks

Wally

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
First you cannot downgrade your firmware, ever. You can only flash NE6 or newer.
Second, this thread is for the 4.1.2 S3Rx. Is that the one you want to flash? Or do you want the 4.3 or 4.4.2 based ROMs?

I suggest flashing the 4.4.2 build, or the 4.3 if you prefer, but 4.1.2 is getting quite old. It will run on your current firmware though, any of these will, so you should be able to flash whichever one you want without doing anything else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Reactions: mrrocketdog

ALvnH0

Nov 13, 2014
Brazilian boy

I'm sorry but my English is bad
I am brazilian and I am having trouble installing the rom. someone would have a better tutorial?

IceHism

Dec 11, 2014
How come i'm getting an error that says "We have a problem connecting to the google servers" when i try to connect my account to sync stuff?
I can't seem to connect to T-mobile Data either?
Oh, and this is for s3rx 4.4.2 but XDAdeveloper forum automatically redirected me here.

I'm using an SGH-t999l and all i'm doing is doing the default install

Last edited:

dddaaakkk

Dec 7, 2013
Is it safe to downgrade to 4.1.1

Dear all,

Could somebody please help and confirm that what I'm going to do is safe for my samsung s3 att. I apologize for being a complete noob.
I installed I747 UCUEMJB TW 4.3 and also MJ2 bootloader and MJB modem using the files in S3Rx 3.0 post http://http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2252932
Now I have a problem with the need to unlock my device from ATT. I purchased unlock code from ebay but it didn't work.
Now I wonder if it is safe to downgrade the device to official Android 4.1.1 including firmware and modem in order to try unlock without the code or with the code. So the question is whether it is safe to downgrade from this ROM with MJ2 bootloader and MJB modem to official 4.1.1 (btw, i can find nowhere what exactly all these acronyms mean: MJ2, MJB, etc. and how they are related to version number, I will really appreciate if you point me to the list or description). The only one legit official 4.1.1 that I was able to find is in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1739426 . What also makes me think is that it is rooted version and also requires flashing using Odin (i previously only used CWM). Could you please clarify if it is safe to use this method and whether I still will have CWM after doing it.

Thank you very much for your time!

Last edited:

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013
Dear all,

Could somebody please help and confirm that what I'm going to do is safe for my samsung s3 att. I apologize for being a complete noob.
I installed I747 UCUEMJB TW 4.3 and also MJ2 bootloader and MJB modem using the files in S3Rx 3.0 post http://http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2252932
Now I have a problem with the need to unlock my device from ATT. I purchased unlock code from ebay but it didn't work.
Now I wonder if it is safe to downgrade the device to official Android 4.1.1 including firmware and modem in order to try unlock without the code or with the code. So the question is whether it is safe to downgrade from this ROM with MJ2 bootloader and MJB modem to official 4.1.1 (btw, i can find nowhere what exactly all these acronyms mean: MJ2, MJB, etc. and how they are related to version number, I will really appreciate if you point me to the list or description). The only one legit official 4.1.1 that I was able to find is in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1739426 . What also makes me think is that it is rooted version and also requires flashing using Odin (i previously only used CWM). Could you please clarify if it is safe to use this method and whether I still will have CWM after doing it.

Thank you very much for your time!

Supposedly it is safe to downgrade a phone on MJ2 bootloader and either the MJ2 or MJB modem. I am on the MJ2/MJB combo and distinctly recall reading this in the threads for the first i747 ROMS based on the leaked version (MJ2) of AT&Ts 4.3 release. BUT, I personnally have not tried to downgrade as of yet. Confirm this is safe by searching threads of those ROMs and find where someone says they successfully downgraded from this combo. I think S3Rx 3.0 by loserskater was one, Dandroid 5.4 by Danvdh, and maybe Intergalactic by stratatak.

As far as the acronyms go, they come from the last 3 characters of the "version" number such as I747UCUEMJB. Specifically coordinating the AT&T acronyms to android versions:
4.1.1 -- LK3
4.1.2 -- MG2
4.3. -- MJ2 (leaked versions of bootloader, modem, and ROM)
4.3.1 -- MJB
4.4.2 -- NE4
4.4.2 -- NJ1 (android version did not change from NE4 to NJ1)

Now if you want to know when it came out based on those last three; this is the only explanation I have seen. From here by poit
As best I can tell, its:
L ==2012

For months
A=Jan,
B=Feb...etc

For days
0 thru 9, followed by A as 10, B as 11, etc.

So if one came out today it would be:

LHQ, where Q is the 17th letter.

Just a guess based on previous releases. However, I've been checking for new rdf files and didn't see LH2 as recently as last week. That makes me think the last digit may not be a day, but just a version number, as in the second test version in August.

You might also find a full stock image at sammobile.
Yes, mr robinson's method uses a rooted image, and using it you will lose CWM. From the 1st post of his thread (red emphasis mine.)
Please make sure you download the correct image for your phone. ATT / Bell / Telus / Rogers / Sasktel
This method uses Odin to flash a factory stock image to your phone that simply has root injected into it. These are FULL stock and as such will flash the stock bootloader, recovery, modem, kernel and system image.
I think it would be safe for you, I suggest you find where someone posted about safely doing so before proceeding.

navpal93

Feb 15, 2015
Will this work on tmobile

Will this asop rom work on my unlocked at&t on tmobile ? Any issues?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    loser,

I found my problem. I use TW MMS but I am on Straight Talk and after using an old APN it never worked for MMS. I found a newer version and it works for MMS. Also SR3X 2.0 is my daily driver and it works great. I started using custom roms quite a while ago and my first was cognition. This rom works so well that I have quit searching and flashing.

Thanks.:good::laugh::eek:
    I am planning to switch to ST and just bought a ATT microSIM from them. Can you please list APN settings for ST? How do you like S3 with ST?

Name: Straight Talk (or whatever you want.)
    APN: att.mvno
    Proxy: Not set
    Port: Not set
    User name: Not set
    Password: Not set
    Server: Not set
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33
    MMS Port: 80
    APN Type: default,supl,mms,hipri

This works for me on my S3. I used to use the same except for Proxy was proxy.mvno.tracfone.com and Port was 80 but it would not let me send photos. I could receive them though. I have used Straight Talk for a year now and have not had any problems with their service. I use auto refill and it has not been any problem.
    After GB, Google removed that feature.
    Some manufacturers under extreme pressure from consumers (Samsung Galaxy S4, for example) reinstated it, and others like Toshiba on the Thrive tablet added a feature to 'move data to SD' with their ICS update.
    Neither are officially supported by Google.
    A Google search will turn up a lot of opinions as to why.....
    Name: Straight Talk (or whatever you want.)
    APN: att.mvno
    Proxy: Not set
    Port: Not set
    User name: Not set
    Password: Not set
    Server: Not set
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33
    MMS Port: 80
    APN Type: default,supl,mms,hipri

This works for me on my S3. I used to use the same except for Proxy was proxy.mvno.tracfone.com and Port was 80 but it would not let me send photos. I could receive them though. I have used Straight Talk for a year now and have not had any problems with their service. I use auto refill and it has not been any problem.

I've been on straight talk for about a year also, no issues, and I have saved quite a bit of money over my previous plans! This is the setup that I use, and have never had any issues.

APN: wap.tracfone
    MMS Proxy: mms2.tracfone.com

Everything else the same as yours...
    First of all, thank you very much for this invaluable ROM. The time and effort you have put into it really shows.

I have a question which I have not been able to find an answer for, which I hope can be answered here. Although I have not completely used my internal memory (3.5GB free), I am reportedly out of space to load any new apps or even update existing ones ("Insufficient storage available"). Also, the option to move apps to my extsdcard is missing. And apps such as app2sd and App manager are unable to move apps to the extsdcard as well ("The device does not have a real primary external storage, or the primary external storage is emulated. Moving app to SD function cannot be supported by this device").

I loaded S3Rx 2.2 after a full wipe.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

As Danvee stated, there isn't a need to move apps to sd as the sd & data partitions are one giant block. So all of the apps that you donwnload which go into /data/app would take up the same space being moved to the sdcard.

As for your insuffiecient storage issue, does it only happen on certain apps? Check for any *.odex files in your /data/app directory.