Moto G vs Moto X vs Galaxy S4 camera

Search This thread

nick2012

Aug 8, 2012
I should add that all images were downsized to 5 MP to match the Moto G.

This is all old technology by now, and your milage will vary, but my general observations are as follows:

The Moto G has a pretty decent imaging processor. It's lens is rubbish, with lots of purple fringing and chromatic aberration, but it seemed to be consistently mediocre. Motorola seemed to attempt to make up for a lot of it's shortcomings by pumping up the saturation.

The Moto X has much better glass, but it's white balance shifted quite a bit, and seemed to favor the cooler spectrum of colors. It also seemed to underexpose images slightly, and was a bit on the low side when it came to saturation. At least for my taste. I couldn't help but feel that the hardware had much more potential than what the software offered.

The Galaxy S4 has excellent glass (lens), but it's camera software seemed to be very inconsistent - At least the T-Mobile variant. It handled white balancing the best, but seemed to overexpose images slightly, with an inconsistent saturation level.

All three phones seemed to have sloppy camera software, with hardware ranging from decent to excellent.

nick2012

Aug 8, 2012
no purpose for this post other than promoting samsung in a motorola forum

Sounds a little defensive there. Take another look and you'll see that the Moto X did best in low lighting, and retained more dynamic latitude detail than the S4. Aside from that, it's always interesting to compare devices and their abilities.

Last edited:
Reactions: vikramkhalsa

TCPDump

May 26, 2014
Central US
I have pretty much at least one of every phone ever made in the last 3 years, and I love the Moto X camera. my wife has an S4, I have an S5. While both have higher resolution the Moto X seems to be a much more stable sensor. Specifically, its much more forgiving of motion, low light, etc. The Galaxy phones seem to work best when its posed like a portrait.

Top Liked Posts