[Newbie] Complete Guide to for Rooting & Install a Custom Rom [Updated 9 Sep 2013]
This is aimed at new "rooters". The process is incredibly easy.
I also take no responsibility if you mess up somehow, and this is for GSM Hero's NOT Sprint Hero CDMA users.
I have now also included a link to z4root as an alternative.
Here is a link to my backup guide but please be aware that most of it requires root access.
Install HTC Sync from here
Download Universal Androot
Download Root Checker - only if you need to
Download AmonRA Recovery v188.8.131.52.img - easier if you rename this "recovery.img" when it is on your sdcard
Place both downloaded files on your SD Card
Root & Recovery
1. Download and install Astro File Manager from the Market (or use any other file management program of your choice)
2. Open Astro and find and install Universal Androot (or if that doesn't work try z4root) from your sdcard:
Select UniversalAndroot.apk > Open App Manager > Install > Settings> [tick] Unknown Sources > OK > Back > Select UniversalAndroot.apk > Open App Manager > Install > Install > Open
3. In the app and choose the correct version from the dropdown box:
Superuser for Android 2.0~2.2 - if you have updated your phone recently
Superuser for Android 1.5~1.6 - if you have refused updates recently or your country/provider hasn't released one yet
Then choose: "Root
Wait until it says "Woot ! Your device is rooted !" and exit the program.
4. Download and install Android Terminal Emulator from the Market (use Better Terminal instead if this one doesn't work)
5. Run "Terminal Emulator". Type (press and hold menu to get the keyboard up) in the following:
su (press enter and wait for the "Super User Request Prompt". Choose "Allow" and make sure its ticked to Allow every time.)
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img (press enter - make sure this is typed exactly as seen)
N.B. If you have issues here, see * notes below for more assistance
6. Turn off your phone and press Home + Power to start it up again. This should boot into recovery mode.
Install Your Custom Rom
Note: This part of the guide can be repeated with as many different rom's as you like. You do not have to repeat the previous section once you have a recovery image installed.
1. Download a Custom ROM from here to your computer.
2. Make sure your phone is in recovery mode (Home + Power)
Plug your phone into your computer and select "USB-MS toggle" in recovery
Place the Custom ROM on your SD card in the main directory and press Home when it has finished copying over
3. Select Backup/Restore > Nand backup > confirm with Home > Wait
(or Nand + Ext if you have A2SD setup)
4. Press back then select Wipe from the main menu, then select:
Wipe data/factory reset > Home
Wipe cache > Home
Wipe Dalvik-cache > Home
Wipe SD:ext partition > Home
Press back button
Select Flash Zip from SD Card
Select the file
Press Home to confirm
Note: Ignore any "errors", they are normal and usually mean you're not using that feature.
5. Once it is done, select Reboot and you will boot into the new Custom ROM.
Updating your Radio
Note: The radio deals with your signal levels and connectivity.
1. Download the latest radio from the following page
N.B. Radio's are not region specific! Just get the latest
2. Mount your SD Card so your computer can read it and place the downloaded file in the main directory
3. Turn off your phone and boot into the recovery screen (holding Home + Power)
Flash Zip from SD Card
Pick the radio.zip file and press Home to confirm
Your phone will reboot a couple of times but when you're back on the Recovery Screen just press reboot system now and it will complete the install and put you back into your custom rom.
DO NOT PULL THE BATTERY OUT, THIS WILL BRICK YOUR HANDSET.
5. When this process has completed reboot the phone and you should have the new radio. This can be checked in Settings > About Phone