Touch screen, menu button and back button not working

Search This thread

MNstan87

Jan 14, 2011
So I'm having a strange problem that is driving me insane! This past weekend the menu and back buttons on my MT3G started working intermittently, and at one point I saw the back light for all of the hard buttons flickering. After a few days of it coming and going they went out all together. The next day the trackball button quit working too. That sucked but I figured I could just use the power button to wake the phone until I figured out my problem. Then the best part happened, the touchscreen quit responding completely! Since I got off work this morning at 7 I have had it completely apart 3 times, checking and rechecking all connections, and have gotten nowhere! I was thinking the digitizer was bad (that I had to replace a few months back but have had no problems since then) but that doesn't explain the other buttons. Anyone have any ideas for me?? Should I try a new digitizer? Something bad with the board? I have no idea what else to try and I'm exhausted so I'm going to bed, I apologize if any of this doesn't make since as I'm basically sleeping on my feet and am extremely frustrated!! Thank you for taking the time to read this and any help will be greatly appreciated!

iyeokojie

Feb 17, 2012
This may be late but...

The most likely problem is the motherboard flex cable. This exact thing happen to me over the past week and now neither my front buttons or my ir trackpad work. And they all stopped working at different. Open up your phone (find instructions on youtube) and take a look at your flex cable. When I saw mine, it looked like it had been cut half a centimeter through 3 bridges. Don't buy a new digitizer before looking at the flex cable. Hope this solves your problem, even though its almost a year late lol. But at least anyone who still has the phone (like me) can use this info.

fallenturtle

Mar 11, 2011
San Francisco
The touchscreen, center button, and back and genus buttons stopped working for me. The back and genus buttons also fail the key test in recovery. Is the general assumption that if the buttons are also acting up, its more likely the flex cable and not the digitizer?

Does it matter if I get an OEM or 3rd party flex cable?

Thanks.