Any recent roms that are fully stable?

Search This thread

dsuffern

Nov 18, 2011
Chicago, IL
Seems that every ROM I look at in here has a bunch of issues. I'm coming over from the OG Evo, and know nothing about photon's development- although I get the gist its an underappreciated device. Just looking for something to make it worth rooting the photon, which is a great phone imo.

Sent from my MB855 using XDA

rexxxgg

Feb 26, 2012
have you tried CM9? sure theres a few bugs but its my daily. otherwise i hear that miui is turning out pretty good but i havnt flashed it myself for a few builds. you could always try cm7 or rokko also.

Reactions: dsuffern

CCallahan

Oct 20, 2010
Rock Chalk
Seems that every ROM I look at in here has a bunch of issues. I'm coming over from the OG Evo, and know nothing about photon's development- although I get the gist its an underappreciated device. Just looking for something to make it worth rooting the photon, which is a great phone imo.

As quick as it is to root the Photon I would do it just for the ability to use root apps. Then, try some of the custom locked roms available before you unlock. CM9 is a great rom but still a beta and has issues such as camera, signal, battery, etc. which is to be expected.

I still prefer the stock rom just because of full functionality, battery life, and signal quality but there are many good custom roms based off stock builds (which I have not tried) that might work well for you.

Beknatok

Dec 1, 2008
Chicagoland Burbs
Running CM7 here and am happy with that as my daily driver. Not brave enough to try CM9 but that's just my personal preference/bias. Joker's non CM9 roms & Lokifish Marz's roms are also good choices.

coolqf

Sep 7, 2007
Istanbul
Three great roms:
-CM7 (KANG)
-ROCKO 3.0 (NOT 3.5)
-Imperium Initiative 1.04

As for which is better... It's a tossup. CM7 last longer, but ROCKO feels more fluid and user friendly. CM7 is more technical...

CM9 is very impressive but it is a beta.

Zwomg Im Bad

Apr 12, 2012
Michigan
As quick as it is to root the Photon I would do it just for the ability to use root apps. Then, try some of the custom locked roms available before you unlock. CM9 is a great rom but still a beta and has issues such as camera, signal, battery, etc. which is to be expected.

I still prefer the stock rom just because of full functionality, battery life, and signal quality but there are many good custom roms based off stock builds (which I have not tried) that might work well for you.

I'd like to quickly point out that Jokersax's CyanogenMod 9 beta is honestly pretty stable. The camera, MMS, signal, and battery life is very much exceeding my expectations, considering this is a rom that is labelled as a beta.
I'd also like to state my opinions towards the OP's original question: In order of stability, here is what I would recommend.

1-Stock. (obviously).
2-HomeBase
3-CyanogenMod 7.2
4-RockoRom 3.0 (3.5 is good as well, but based on experience I recommend 3.0)
5-Jokersax's CyanogenMod 9, link is in the beginning of my post.
6-Imperium Initiative
Finally, 7-Sh@dow/Sh@dowEvolved

The rom I use the most is Jokersax's CyanogenMod 9. It's a very good rom.

Quickly-- One last thing. If you DO flash a rom, please please please PLEASE do not complain about the battery life until you do these steps:
~Let your battery drain to 0%
~Charge your battery to 100%
~Wipe battery stats via the advanced menu in a custom recovery(recommended), or an application
~Drain battery to 0%, then charge to 100%.
Then you can complain about the battery life... if it's bad, that is. Lol.

MoPho on, my friend!

CCallahan

Oct 20, 2010
Rock Chalk
I'd like to quickly point out that Jokersax's CyanogenMod 9 beta is honestly pretty stable. The camera, MMS, signal, and battery life is very much exceeding my expectations, considering this is a rom that is labelled as a beta.
I'd also like to state my opinions towards the OP's original question: In order of stability, here is what I would recommend.

1-Stock. (obviously).
2-HomeBase
3-CyanogenMod 7.2
4-RockoRom 3.0 (3.5 is good as well, but based on experience I recommend 3.0)
5-Jokersax's CyanogenMod 9, link is in the beginning of my post.
6-Imperium Initiative
Finally, 7-Sh@dow/Sh@dowEvolved

The rom I use the most is Jokersax's CyanogenMod 9. It's a very good rom.

Quickly-- One last thing. If you DO flash a rom, please please please PLEASE do not complain about the battery life until you do these steps:
~Let your battery drain to 0%
~Charge your battery to 100%
~Wipe battery stats via the advanced menu in a custom recovery(recommended), or an application
~Drain battery to 0%, then charge to 100%.
Then you can complain about the battery life... if it's bad, that is. Lol.

MoPho on, my friend!

I was comparing CM9 to stock and there is no way CM9 has better battery than stock. Not even close. In my experience with running CM roms on multiple devices they all seem to drain the battery more I would assume due to the kernels used. I know this doesn't really have anything to do with stability but relates to the overall feel of the OP question I think which is why I mentioned it.

With that said roms are going to run different for each user especially with a beta build.

Zwomg Im Bad

Apr 12, 2012
Michigan
I was comparing CM9 to stock and there is no way CM9 has better battery than stock. Not even close. In my experience with running CM roms on multiple devices they all seem to drain the battery more I would assume due to the kernels used. I know this doesn't really have anything to do with stability but relates to the overall feel of the OP question I think which is why I mentioned it.

With that said roms are going to run different for each user especially with a beta build.

I don't quite remember saying that the battery life was better than stock... But surely sir, you must be doing something wrong. I have 2 photons running cm9, one is activated and one is not, the one that is activated has the minimum at 216 mhz and the max at 1300 mhz, and it's usual cpu is going at 800mhz-ish. the one that is not activated is clocked to the max at 1300mhz constantly, min is 1300 and max is obviously 1300. they both run roughly the same amount of time before dying, usually 7/8hrs. with stock, not rooted, my batter lasts anywhere from 8-9hrs being heavily used.
I never said that the battery life was better than stock on cm9, i said it was EXCEEDING MY EXPECTATIONS FOR A BETA. Sir, you honestly should double check the post of which you're criticizing before you make such an accusation.
And of course roms are going to be different for everybody, depending on how they use it and what they do with it. I've only tweaked jokersax's build to fix the mms issue, as his fix doesn't help. my fix helps ME, but considering the fact that jokersax's fix works for plenty of others, that obviously points out the fact that roms run differently for everybody.
One last thing; who's cm9 build are you talking about? because you mentioned bugs, and jokersax's barely has any. the battery life issue has a solution that can be found at the end of my first post. please, read it.

DualSportDad

Apr 29, 2010
Cape Coral, Fl.
I will say it.... jokers cm9 roms battery life kick the crap out of stock. It does have some pretty annoying bugs tho.... like everytime you rotate the screen while using the browser it force closes, or the camera that doesn't take great pictures...mainly with the flash. But other than that it does work pretty well.

I did just switch to cm7 and while everything on it seems to work great, the battery life is no where near as good as cm9.

Btw both I have Max CPU at 1000.

Sent from my Motorola Photon using Tapatalk

Zwomg Im Bad

Apr 12, 2012
Michigan
I will say it.... jokers cm9 roms battery life kick the crap out of stock. It does have some pretty annoying bugs tho.... like everytime you rotate the screen while using the browser it force closes, or the camera that doesn't take great pictures...mainly with the flash. But other than that it does work pretty well.

I did just switch to cm7 and while everything on it seems to work great, the battery life is no where near as good as cm9.

Btw both I have Max CPU at 1000.

Sent from my Motorola Photon using Tapatalk

Really? For me, the camera's damnnear perfect. huh. But yeah, the rotation isn't great, but I never use rotation. It pisses me off, lol. The only thing atm that makes me mad is that google play won't let me download anything because I'm not on an official android rom. :( Anyone else have this problem?

Last edited:

Acvice

Aug 11, 2011
Really? For me, the camera's damnnear perfect. huh. But yeah, the rotation isn't great, but I never use rotation. It pisses me off, lol. The only thing atm that makes me mad is that google play won't let me download anything because I'm not on an official android rom. :( Anyone else have this problem?

Go to settings, apps, stop Google play, clear its data, restart phone.

DualSportDad

Apr 29, 2010
Cape Coral, Fl.
I flashed back last night and tried taking pictures with dark light.... I found if I use the button on the screen instead of the button on the side of the phone it takes much better pictures. All in all I can't wait till this Rome gets the bugs worked out.... but to be on topic it is a pretty good daily rom.

Sent from my CM9'd Motorola Photon using Tapatalk

Zwomg Im Bad

Apr 12, 2012
Michigan
oDepani andSportDad;24897902]I flashed back last night and tried taking pictures with dark light.... I found if I use the button on the screen instead of the button on the side of the phone it takes much better pictures. All in all I can't wait till this Rome gets the bugs worked out.... but to be on topic it is a pretty good daily rom.

Sent from my CM9'd Motorola Photon using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

True. Very true. I've found that the vibrate goes on/ off though. Doesn't bother me, but it ciuld bother others

CCallahan

Oct 20, 2010
Rock Chalk
I don't quite remember saying that the battery life was better than stock... But surely sir, you must be doing something wrong. I have 2 photons running cm9, one is activated and one is not, the one that is activated has the minimum at 216 mhz and the max at 1300 mhz, and it's usual cpu is going at 800mhz-ish. the one that is not activated is clocked to the max at 1300mhz constantly, min is 1300 and max is obviously 1300. they both run roughly the same amount of time before dying, usually 7/8hrs. with stock, not rooted, my batter lasts anywhere from 8-9hrs being heavily used.
I never said that the battery life was better than stock on cm9, i said it was EXCEEDING MY EXPECTATIONS FOR A BETA. Sir, you honestly should double check the post of which you're criticizing before you make such an accusation.
And of course roms are going to be different for everybody, depending on how they use it and what they do with it. I've only tweaked jokersax's build to fix the mms issue, as his fix doesn't help. my fix helps ME, but considering the fact that jokersax's fix works for plenty of others, that obviously points out the fact that roms run differently for everybody.
One last thing; who's cm9 build are you talking about? because you mentioned bugs, and jokersax's barely has any. the battery life issue has a solution that can be found at the end of my first post. please, read it.

I will only comment on a few items because we could go about this all day with really no positive outcome and the thread will be hijacked.

First, I am not doing anything wrong. This is not my first rodeo. Yes, I know about the battery "conditioning" steps at the end of your post. This is part of flashing 101. With what I am running on my phone it just wasn't the life I needed it to be.

With that said I agree with you on CM9 exceeding expectations. Great rom but OP was looking for a stable rom and beta versions have bugs.

We can agree to disagree and put it to rest? :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    have you tried CM9? sure theres a few bugs but its my daily. otherwise i hear that miui is turning out pretty good but i havnt flashed it myself for a few builds. you could always try cm7 or rokko also.
    CM7 and CM9 are the best. Use both of them, CM7 is more stable and all works, but CM9 is very smooths and awesome!

Running CM7 here and am happy with that as my daily driver. Not brave enough to try CM9 but that's just my personal preference/bias. Joker's non CM9 roms & Lokifish Marz's roms are also good choices.
    Three great roms:
    -CM7 (KANG)
    -ROCKO 3.0 (NOT 3.5)
    -Imperium Initiative 1.04

As for which is better... It's a tossup. CM7 last longer, but ROCKO feels more fluid and user friendly. CM7 is more technical...

CM9 is very impressive but it is a beta.