[Q] 4.4.2 downgrade to 4.3 - backing up ROM before downgrade??

Search This thread

mikiesb

Apr 22, 2014
Hi

I have a standard motorola moto g 8gb unlocked phone - not tied to any uk network on 4.4.2 .

I wish to downgrade to 4.3 or change the rom to another rom.

Before i do this what is the easiest/simplest way to backup the ROM (o.s) which is not root'd ?

Or do I have to root the phone?

Also do I need to install drivers or not for the phone as Windows 7 sees the phone fine in explorer/my computer when the phone is turned on - i can drag drop files on there no problem

Thanks in advance.

M

Z-WolF

Apr 13, 2014
Hi

I have a standard motorola moto g 8gb unlocked phone - not tied to any uk network on 4.4.2 .

I wish to downgrade to 4.3 or change the rom to another rom.

Before i do this what is the easiest/simplest way to backup the ROM (o.s) which is not root'd ?

Or do I have to root the phone?

Also do I need to install drivers or not for the phone as Windows 7 sees the phone fine in explorer/my computer when the phone is turned on - i can drag drop files on there no problem

Thanks in advance.

M

a way to backup without root? Yep.
a way to backup without unlocking the bootloader? Nope.
You see, for everything you need the bootloader unlocked: rooting, flashing, etc...
so if you want to backup anything you first need to unlock the bootloader to flash a Custom Recovery and then do the backup and that can be done without rooting the phone, or touching the rom at all.
You will need the motorola drivers and adb:

Here's to backup the NAND (needs root): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2263392

Here's to backup the ROM (Choose one): TWRP CWM

mikiesb

Apr 22, 2014
Hi

ok made a bit of progress.

never thought it would be so much of a mission !

got the bootlocker unlocked..

now how do i install the clockwork mod or twrp app sorry for my ignorance. i have followed the links you've kindly posted me.

i am familiar with dos commands etc. - so that doesn't phase me.

i've downloaded the apps from a site both clockwork and twrp - .img files - do these have to be installed via command
prompt with fastboot to install them respectively whilst the phone is plugged in with usb cable in the bootloader phase?

are there not any "windows" apps that can install these apps?

Thanks in advance

deej_roamer

Mar 19, 2014
You don't have to install both of them!

Hi

ok made a bit of progress.

never thought it would be so much of a mission !

got the bootlocker unlocked..

now how do i install the clockwork mod or twrp app sorry for my ignorance. i have followed the links you've kindly posted me.

i am familiar with dos commands etc. - so that doesn't phase me.

i've downloaded the apps from a site both clockwork and twrp - .img files - do these have to be installed via command
prompt with fastboot to install them respectively whilst the phone is plugged in with usb cable in the bootloader phase?

are there not any "windows" apps that can install these apps?

Thanks in advance

Chk this for automated process
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=50029015

and also
You do not have to install both the recoveries, either cwm or twrp not both of them!
you said you unlocked bootloader, that means you have adb installed with fastboot

copy the .img file for twrp/cwm whichever you prefer to the folder where adb is installed
rename it to recovery.img
then turn off the phone and boot into bootloader and run

Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img