Nexus 5 screen has broken

Search This thread

doug143

Feb 9, 2013
ayr
Hi,

Last night while using my nexus, my screen suddenly bled around the corners really bad and now my screen looks washed out and has a yellow tint to it if viewed from an angle!:(:(
Anybody else had this problem?
u6y7una3.jpg

"EDIT"
Now looking at this screenshot, its how my phone screen is meant to look, does that mean this could be a digitiser problem?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

whozilla

Mar 5, 2012
signal hill ca
Hi,

Last night while using my nexus, my screen suddenly bled around the corners really bad and now my screen looks washed out and has a yellow tint to it if viewed from an angle!:(:(
Anybody else had this problem?
u6y7una3.jpg

"EDIT"
Now looking at this screenshot, its how my phone screen is meant to look, does that mean this could be a digitiser problem?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Nope. Its not the digitizer. The digitizer is a clear glass that processes you touches into data that is than put into a map that tells the phone what part of the screen was touched. What you are seeing is either LCD's LCD layer or its backlight. Either way you need a new LCD. The n5 has the digitizer and LCD fuzed to cut down on thickness. So the entire front panel needs to be swapped. 130-150 USD cost. It is however nearly impossible for anything other than a faulty part to cause this. So you should still be able to get it replaces with ease. As for anybody else having this issue. It has plagued LCD screens on phones forever IPS's especially.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

doug143

Feb 9, 2013
ayr
Nope. Its not the digitizer. The digitizer is a clear glass that processes you touches into data that is than put into a map that tells the phone what part of the screen was touched. What you are seeing is either LCD's LCD layer or its backlight. Either way you need a new LCD. The n5 has the digitizer and LCD fuzed to cut down on thickness. So the entire front panel needs to be swapped. 130-150 USD cost. It is however nearly impossible for anything other than a faulty part to cause this. So you should still be able to get it replaces with ease. As for anybody else having this issue. It has plagued LCD screens on phones forever IPS's especially.

I'm in the UK and purchased the phone from an independent retailer, hopefully they will repair it for me, apparently the repair it within the manufacturers warranty.

Only had the phone for 4 months!

Thanks for the reply!

doug143

Feb 9, 2013
ayr
4 months! Longer than the rest of us then :)

Sent from my Nexus 5

Haha my bad, 2 months and 16 days to be precise!:)

*UPDATE*
Just to update, the phone has now developed around 10 dead pixels at random locations on the screen and the colour is all washed out around the edges!

Taking the phone into Phones 4 U after work and they're going to send away to get fixed, hope LG just replace the device.

Last edited:

whozilla

Mar 5, 2012
signal hill ca
Haha my bad, 2 months and 16 days to be precise!:)

*UPDATE*
Just to update, the phone has now developed around 10 dead pixels at random locations on the screen and the colour is all washed out around the edges!

Taking the phone into Phones 4 U after work and they're going to send away to get fixed, hope LG just replace the device.

They should replace it. Its one of those problems they anticipate. My HTC one had that issue.

doug143

Feb 9, 2013
ayr
They should replace it. Its one of those problems they anticipate. My HTC one had that issue.

Yeah i took it in today and it has been sent away for repair, think it'll get passed to LG from them and hopefully they just replace it, hate the thought of using a phone thats had the front panel replaced lol dunno why.

7-10 days i got told, that's like 7-10 years for me:( love my nexus.

Went into Phones 4 U and the guy tried to tell me they didn't sell that phone..... well yes you do coz this is where i bought it! haha

Anyway, hopefully it'll be quick and painless.:)