[NST]MinimalTouch 1.1beta5 (+Index to manual rooting)

Search This thread

eded333

Apr 25, 2011
Thanks! Button Savior and the touch tools worked. Also, in the howto it says about gmail: "force sync it until it FC". Might be clearer to expand the FC acronym. I kept force-syncing until it would get to the screen 'fetching conversations' and then fail.

I'll change it, FC == Force Closes, I thought it was clear :)

Thank you very much! This method definitely works. But surprisingly my Gmail and Market already works on first try after I signed in with Youtube (there's no need for force sync or installing part 2, which I did install anyway). Maybe because I try this after failed with SalsichaNooter method?

Once again, thank you very much for making this process simple and possible!

As Salshichanooter allready had the files moded on the first try, it may have worked directly when regenerating the db. So yes, it should be because of that.

eded333

Apr 25, 2011
Divided the thread in two, for better organization, posts will be answered here for both threads, index is kept hyperlinking each section.

Reactions: LastSilmaril

tomic22

Apr 12, 2011
Ok Eded333, im another fan of your root! It works perfect! One little add to your explaination in the first post (since i allmost reverted the whole root) at:
"backups all the necessary files on /data/backup, and is able to delete all traces of its installation and restore this files, by using the Deletebeta5-1.zip, they also have the progress bar fixed. (http://bit.ly/unYfVY) (testing)"

Maybe something like:
beta5 backups all the used files to /data/backup. You can revert the root back to the original state by choosing Deletebeta5-1.zip in CWM, let it run and pull the SD and reboot.

thanks and happy devving!

Reactions: eded333
A

ace7196

Lol, damn it! I didn't see that line not to post there (figured it would be locked). Sorry about that. I can delete it if you want (although that space will forever be there :p)

So I reverted to my backup, but not sure what happened. Here's a partial logcat I grabbed before reverting:

http://pastebin.com/qPmAf4V6

It was the weirdest thing. I chmod all system files back to 644, but it remained forever on that 5 dots screen.

EDIT: I used the crashing waves images you posted. I think that's what you mean by image, and not how I rooted it. In that case I rooted with manual rooter (1.1), then flashed the custom wifi ramdisk so I could sideload stuff.

eded333

Apr 25, 2011
Don't worry, it dosnt matter ;)

It totally seems a permission problem, try this:

(flash it through CWM)

eded333

Apr 25, 2011
Ok Eded333, im another fan of your root! It works perfect! One little add to your explaination in the first post (since i allmost reverted the whole root) at:
"backups all the necessary files on /data/backup, and is able to delete all traces of its installation and restore this files, by using the Deletebeta5-1.zip, they also have the progress bar fixed. (http://bit.ly/unYfVY) (testing)"

Maybe something like:
beta5 backups all the used files to /data/backup. You can revert the root back to the original state by choosing Deletebeta5-1.zip in CWM, let it run and pull the SD and reboot.

thanks and happy devving!

Yes, it probably needs to be rephrased, Ill do it tomorrow :)
And thank you all for the feedback and support.
Just a question, has someone tried yet the Delete zip? I need some feedback on that.

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
A simpler way to clocking your device may be to use SetCPU if it works.
If SetCPU doesn't work and you already have tasker it will clock the CPU for you without having to go through ADB to do all that. You could probably even set Tasker up to sync your books on a regular basis with Dropbox, increase clock speed if you're doing something that may require more power for whatever reason, etc.

vvvccc

Apr 29, 2011
Hi Gabrial Destruir and eded333,

I rooted my NST using the minimal touch method and somehow my storage has gone down to 250 mb! I saw on the first page that someone else also had that problem and eded333 has answered them with a linux code. However I apologize I do not have linux on my computer. I am using windows vista home edition and am unfamiliar with hacking generally. However, I have rooted my viewsonic gtab and NST using the instructions on this forum, so I think I should be able to understand instructions. Do help me with my problem!

Thanks !!

herofmm

Nov 28, 2011
N/A
Hi Gabrial Destruir and eded333,

I rooted my NST using the minimal touch method and somehow my storage has gone down to 250 mb! I saw on the first page that someone else also had that problem and eded333 has answered them with a linux code. However I apologize I do not have linux on my computer. I am using windows vista home edition and am unfamiliar with hacking generally. However, I have rooted my viewsonic gtab and NST using the instructions on this forum, so I think I should be able to understand instructions. Do help me with my problem!

Thanks !!

You should be clear about what storage it is.

If you meant your internal storage (/media), it is normal.
If you meant your SD card (/sdcard), you can format it using Nook Touch. Go to stock settings -> device -> unmount sdcard, then format sdcard.

Reactions: vvvccc

vvvccc

Apr 29, 2011
I did mean the internal storage.
My SDcard ( I guess you mean my external storage card) seems to be ok.
But before rooting I had about 1.4 gb of storage on the device itself. That seems to have gone. Is that normal?
Thanks a lot.

Edit: I had not put in an SD card so far so a lot of apps (dropbox) werent working properly. I just put it in for the first time today and MAN!! thanks to you devs at xdaforum! this is one of the awesomest devices I have used so far.
I wanted an eink device to do only general reading on ..and does this work! I can even read my textbooks on this.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

herofmm

Nov 28, 2011
N/A
I did mean the internal storage.
My SDcard ( I guess you mean my external storage card) seems to be ok.
But before rooting I had about 1.4 gb of storage on the device itself. That seems to have gone. Is that normal?
Thanks a lot.

Edit: I had not put in an SD card so far so a lot of apps (dropbox) werent working properly. I just put it in for the first time today and MAN!! thanks to you devs at xdaforum! this is one of the awesomest devices I have used so far.
I wanted an eink device to do only general reading on ..and does this work! I can even read my textbooks on this.

Thanks a lot.

The install files are less than 10 MB, so it wouldn't fill up 1GB of storage. And as far as I know, this rooting method does not change any partition tables. I didn't check the storage status before rooting. But my best guess is that it shows the storage of "B&N contents + /media + others" before rooting, and "/media" after rooting. Anyway, the storage you can use for side-loading does not change. Just blame B&N for assigning a lot of space to their own contents.

Reactions: vvvccc

ApokrifX

May 23, 2011
eded333,
>6. Log in on YouTube, by clicking options, my channel, add acount,
>use a complete Gmail account not just the username,
>accept the messages,
>open Gmail but dont add any account to it,
>just click options and force sync it, force sync it until it fails to syncs and closes (FC),
Stuck right here.
YouTube - signed in with complete Gmail account.
When I open Gmail I got:
"This account is not configured to sync automatically. Press Menu > Refresh to sync mail once. Or press Home and touch Settings > Accounts&Sync and configure this account to sync mail automatically."
What do I do next?

Googie2149

Jan 6, 2012
eded333,
>6. Log in on YouTube, by clicking options, my channel, add acount,
>use a complete Gmail account not just the username,
>accept the messages,
>open Gmail but dont add any account to it,
>just click options and force sync it, force sync it until it fails to syncs and closes (FC),
Stuck right here.
YouTube - signed in with complete Gmail account.
When I open Gmail I got:
"This account is not configured to sync automatically. Press Menu > Refresh to sync mail once. Or press Home and touch Settings > Accounts&Sync and configure this account to sync mail automatically."
What do I do next?

On the top bar, there are two new buttons. One with a back arrow, and the other with three lines. That is the menu button.

Googie2149

Jan 6, 2012
While following your tutorial for changing the shut down image (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20069276&postcount=8), I was trying to change the title/notification/bar at the top of the screen. When I push the framework-res.apk to the Nook, it reboots then gets stuck in a boot loop that I can fix with CWM by restoring to a previous backup. I'm using your method of rooting.

Top Liked Posts