[ICS] Nyan Colonel v5 (Atarashii) Voodoo & No Voodoo

Search This thread

charlie95113

Dec 25, 2010
I was thinking of the processor deep sleep state. Guess I'll have to read up on deep idle later. Happen to have any links?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

Let's just say deep idle is wonder full on battery for ppl like me who bump musik with screen off

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

zman0900

Jan 20, 2010
Columbus, OH

Let's just say deep idle is wonder full on battery for ppl like me who bump musik with screen off

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Lot's of info on that page. All kinds of good stuff in his github too. Gonna see if I can't get deep idle in my kernel too, sounds tasty.

EDIT: marcusant, did you actually get deep idle to work in your kernel? I've applied all the patches from ezekeel's github, and changed it to be enabled by default, but nothing is showing up in /sys/class/misc/deepidle like it should. The patches applied cleanly with only a minor change to one file path, and I had no problems compiling. For the look of it, things did get compiled with the rest of the kernel, not show why nothings showing up.

EDIT2: Well that was stupid. Forgot to clean before rebuilding. Plenty-o-errors to deal with now.

Last edited:

MДЯCЦSДИT

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 21, 2010
Lot's of info on that page. All kinds of good stuff in his github too. Gonna see if I can't get deep idle in my kernel too, sounds tasty.

EDIT: marcusant, did you actually get deep idle to work in your kernel? I've applied all the patches from ezekeel's github, and changed it to be enabled by default, but nothing is showing up in /sys/class/misc/deepidle like it should. The patches applied cleanly with only a minor change to one file path, and I had no problems compiling. For the look of it, things did get compiled with the rest of the kernel, not show why nothings showing up.

EDIT2: Well that was stupid. Forgot to clean before rebuilding. Plenty-o-errors to deal with now.

I have it in. It compiles fine (after I fixed the errors) and the sysfs interface is there but it refuses to enter the didle state for some reason (or fails to report it correctly)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

zman0900

Jan 20, 2010
Columbus, OH
I have it in. It compiles fine (after I fixed the errors) and the sysfs interface is there but it refuses to enter the didle state for some reason (or fails to report it correctly)

That's exactly where I'm at now. Playing music with the screen off for a while is supposed to get it going, but all I get is this:

root@android:/ # cat /sys/class/misc/deepidle/idle_stats
idle state total (average)
===================================================
IDLE 136313ms (2ms)
DEEP IDLE (TOP=ON) 0ms (0ms)
DEEP IDLE (TOP=OFF) 0ms (0ms)

I'm thinking it might have something to do with iterrupts having different names between the phones. There's a series of things in there that are supposed to prevent deep idle, maybe one of those is the name of something that's always enabled on the epic.

EDIT: found some info but putting in lots of log messages. Looks like (at least) the following code is keeping it awake:
Code:
/* check power gating */
val = __raw_readl(S5P_NORMAL_CFG);
if (val & (S5PV210_PD_LCD | S5PV210_PD_CAM | S5PV210_PD_TV
          | S5PV210_PD_MFC | S5PV210_PD_G3D))
    return 1;

When the screen is off, S5PV210_PD_TV and S5PV210_PD_MFC are always non zero. Music playing or not. According to power-domain.c, the tv one appear related to tv-out which can probably be ignored. No idea what MFC does, but some quick googling seems to suggest something relating to video encoding. Gonna see what happens if I ignore them...

Last edited:
Reactions: roguejam

MДЯCЦSДИT

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 21, 2010
zman, I think I know how to fix deep idle. Can you pm me your gtalk? I will try applying and compiling when I can access a pc. It may not be the entire issue but it is likely stopping it also.

Last edited:
Reactions: roguejam

zman0900

Jan 20, 2010
Columbus, OH
zman, I think I know how to fix deep idle. Can you pm me your gtalk? I will try applying and compiling when I can access a pc. It may not be the entire issue but it is likely stopping it also.

Sorry to not reply for so long. Been busy with grad school. I think you found my gtalk. I tried what I mentioned above, disabling the check for tv and mfc, and also disabled the check for bluetooth since it was always reporting it as on. This caused it to repeatedly attempt to enter didle then immediately exit, also preventing deep sleep from working at all. Problem seems to be the part where it checks VIC status register and does goto skipped_didle if any are non_zero. It ands together S5P_VIC[0-3]REG(VIC_RAW_STATUS) and S5P_VIC[0-3]REG(VIC_INT_ENABLE) to check if any are non-zero. I haven't checked the values of VIC_RAW_STATUS regs, but 2 of the VIC_INT_ENABLE regs are always non-zero. I tried ignoring the goto statement to allow it to go into deep idle, but that just caused a kernel oops or sleep of death. That's pretty much where I got stuck. I think these VIC registers are related to the interup controller, but I can't find any additional info on them. I never got a chance to try disabling coresight, so maybe that has something to do with it. Did you have any luck?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please try shadow, samurai, and stock kernels also for a bit to see what one you like best! Don't choose a kernel because everyone else likes it or because it has a long feature list and fancy new shiny things.

6b32ae90-01ca-47b8.jpg

This is a kernel, not a full ROM... please use AOKP, MIUI4, or CM9 with this...

Atarashii - New/Fresh - This kernel was made to revolutionize what all of the current 'normal' Epic kernels have. I have added in tweaks and mods that were never before seen on the Epic, long forgotten, and from other devices such as the Nexus S and i9000.

Hopefully (probably) most other kernel developers will implement these new features and help keep the Epic current.

I prefer that you use NSTools to overclock and undervolt and do other tweaks. It is more featured than Voltage Control and this kernel supports it better. Voltage Control works fine too but I recommend uninstalling all cpu tools you have and installing NSTools.

I am not responsible to ANYTHING that happens to you or your phone as a result of using this kernel. Most things in this are experimental to a point but have been tested and confirmed safe.

Some of these features have NEVER been used before on the Epic, so don't expect everything that you are used to. Things can and will be different than usual.

Feature List

• Voodoo Sound v10 by Supercurio
    • Voodoo Color by Supercurio
    • Optimized compiler flags by netarchy and Ezekeel
    • Live OC (on the fly bus overclock) by Ezekeel (Use NSTools app, not voltage control)
    • Custom Undervolt by Ezekeel (Use NSTools app, not voltage control)
    • Misc. bugfixes
    • Battery Life eXtender (BLX) v1 by Ezekeel
    • OS tools compiled with O3
    • Swappiness set to 10 from 60 (Rodderik)
    • Voodoo mDNIe (keeps text sharp and backgrounds don't look like crap)
    • Defconfig tweaks
    • Overclocking (no need for enabling crap in Voltage Control)
    • Undervolting both via Voltage Control and NSTools (Ezekeel & nubecoder)
    • Tweaked ondemand
    • Tweaked conservative
    • Optimized SIO
    • Optimized deadline
    • Added TINY_PREEMPT_RCU
    • Added optimized CRC32 algorithm
    • Optimized ARM RWSEM algorithm
    • JHash 3
    • Added SLQB memory allocator
    • Add 3 Button Reboot
    • Increase default readahead to 1024kB
    • Voodoo Color defaults that do not suck
    • Allow CPU-supported unaligned accesses
    • Some SD/MMC tweaks (might reduce wakelocks)
    • mDNIe is enabled but tweaked to look good
    • Swag

Major thanks

• Ezekeel
    • Team Glitch
    • Epiccm team
    • bbelos
    • nubecoder
    • nullghost
    • rodderik
    • supercurio
    • Aprosamurai
    • thomasskull666
    • Many many others

Source
    https://github.com/marcusant/Atarashii

Download
    v5 w/ Voodoo: http://marcusant.com/nyankernel/epic/nyan_v5_perm.zip
    a0e5cca4fdc856c4468f8188e5d0c871

v5 w/o Voodoo: http://marcusant.com/nyankernel/epic/nyan_v5_perm_noVoodoo.zip
    ce52381883c180a09aefb2e3e427e730

Replace TWRP with CWM (flash within TWRP with inject off): http://marcusant.com/android/epic/restore-cwm.zip
    Changelog​

v5 WiP
    -Update to beta3 of cm9
    -Change DVFS relayed things
    -Cypress touch key fixes
    -Update to kernel 2.35.13 (still listed as .7)
    -Switch to git SHA1
    -Add boot progress bar
    -Switch to crespo mdnie
    -Reduce log buffer size
    -Battery updates from infuse
    -KSM
    -ULP_FREQ lowered to 400mhz
    -Sysfs control for capacitive lights
    -Glibc versions of string and memcopy
    -Add proportional rate reduction
    -Fix Google Maps
    -Increase USB strength
    -More

v4.1
    -Fix green flashing to some extent

v4.2
    -Add TWRP (may go back to CWM) (Dees-Troy)

v4.3
    -Add some misc stuff
    -Switched to voodoo color settings from bbelos
    -Fixed some sleeping stuff and 100mhz (mkasick)
    -Increase USB strength
    -Add sysfs control for softkeys (bbelos)
    -Update to current beta3 of CM9 (still works on AOKP and older CM9 builds)
    -Fixed GMaps​
    Please uninstall NSTools if you have deep sleep issues and use Voltage Control.

Hehe...this sounds kinda like those medication commercials with all the side effects that seem much worse than what you're trying to treat in the first place:

"Ask your doctor about Nyan Colonel. Tell your doctor if you see flashes of green when you open your eyes, as this could be a serious eyeball gamma problem. Don't take Nyan Colonel if you have liver, kidney, or colon problems or if you have deep sleep issues. Side effects include overclocking, snappy menu response, increased battery life, and spontaneous fits of laughter when hearing the phrase "I love my iPhone"

You have to remember that I am not making this for YOU or even the community. I make this for MYSELF...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2