Keeping Unlimited Data?

Search This thread

textron

Oct 16, 2008
Do you think the Galaxy Note 2 is worth giving up unlimited data? I can only imagine how much data I would be using with this phone. I could imagine being limited. I couldn't see myself paying ful price to keep unlimited data going. Sprint nor Tmobile have LTE in my area.

Has anyone found a way around being pushed into the upgrade? I also found it obnoxious that they are charging a $30 upgrade fee and giving me a $50 upgrade discount at the same time lol.

kimdoocheol

Jan 9, 2012
Do you think the Galaxy Note 2 is worth giving up unlimited data? I can only imagine how much data I would be using with this phone. I could imagine being limited. I couldn't see myself paying ful price to keep unlimited data going. Sprint nor Tmobile have LTE in my area.

Has anyone found a way around being pushed into the upgrade? I also found it obnoxious that they are charging a $30 upgrade fee and giving me a $50 upgrade discount at the same time lol.

Nothing is worth giving up unlimited data.

4g tethering / internet practically anywhere there is 4g... I would never give that up for anything. I use around 7-10gb of data on the average.

drum747

Mar 4, 2011
Dogtown, Or
I will be giving up unlimited data this go around. After getting laid off of my job of 6 years I had to take a lower paying gig and the only way I could talk my wife into the Note 2 was if we combine our plans. I have never used more than 8 gb in a month and she uses 1 gb. We will either go with the 8 gb shared and save $30 a month by combining or maybe the 10gb plan. Its a small price to pay for me to upgrade from my X to the N2. It is what it is, I will make it work even though it does suck.

Last edited:

Gnoop

Apr 21, 2011
I'm likely buying the phone outright and keeping the unlimited data. Even my wife doesn't want me to give up the unlimited data.

Reactions: FruitBowlMafia

drum747

Mar 4, 2011
Dogtown, Or
That's cool. With 2 mortgages and 2 kids I couldn't justify 1400 for 2 phone's when we can get both for 700 and save 30 a month by combining. I hope all of you guys can keep unlimited, in 2 years ill see where the carriers are with respect to unlimited and move to another carrier if my 10gb plan isn't working for me. Honestly I doubt we will be having this conversation about unlimited on Verizon in 2 years. My guess is Verizon will decide in the near future to end it completely.

textron

Oct 16, 2008
I wish there was a way to keep the plan. It's crazy they try to force you off.

My replacement Fascinate is defective with the constant reboots and overheating while charging. I was going to replace under warranty but I dropped it and the screen cracked which they have already tried to blame that for the problems. Assurion wants 99 bucks for a replacement. They keep telling me that my data usage is low. Yeah, my phone dies in 4 hours and crashes most when I use my web browsers.

Prior to that I was using 3-6 gigs a month. LTE + 2gb a month is like getting a Lambo to drive only in a parking garage.

Last edited:

SFBPro

Feb 2, 2010
Troy, AL
Since I live at a University, I have to share with everyone else. I am averaging about 16GB a month so I have to keep the unlimited plan.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

ihavenewnike

Mar 5, 2012
Los Angeles
Wouldn't it be illegal for them to "force" you to change data plans later when people continue to buy phones outright.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Diversion

Mar 2, 2010
I just got back from VZW Corporate store.

I have 4 lines on a family account, i'm the owner of the entire account - I have TWO upgrades on my account and there's literally no way to be able to keep the unlimited data if the upgrade is on the line that has unlimited. It only works if you use a tiered line's upgrade for your unlimited line.

I know this might seem hard to follow but in short:

Unlimited Line has upgrade = wasted, nothing you can do with it
Tiered line has upgrade = useful for unlimited line

I don't find really any phone being with $600 to $700 after tax. That's just plain robbery. I've been doing it on my past 2 phones and now that I have upgrades actually available, i'm plainly fed up. I threaten to close my account with VZW but they would LOVE for that to happen because they don't want unlimited plan folks on their network anymore.

Now it's a game to test my wits.. How long can I go with my SG3 before going insane? I have to wait another year for one of my tiered lines to have an upgrade available.

kimdoocheol

Jan 9, 2012

I have 4 lines on a family account, i'm the owner of the entire account - I have TWO upgrades on my account and there's literally no way to be able to keep the unlimited data if the upgrade is on the line that has unlimited. It only works if you use a tiered line's upgrade for your unlimited line.

I don't find really any phone being with $600 to $700 after tax. That's just plain robbery. I've been doing it on my past 2 phones and now that I have upgrades actually available, i'm plainly fed up. I threaten to close my account with VZW but they would LOVE for that to happen because they don't want unlimited plan folks on their network anymore.

Now it's a game to test my wits.. How long can I go with my SG3 before going insane? I have to wait another year for one of my tiered lines to have an upgrade available.

So why don't you use the tiered line upgrade and then switch the note to your line? I'm not really following this since you said two upgrades are available one on the tiered line and one on the unlimited.

XstitchCowgirl

Oct 18, 2012
Speaking of lines and unlimited. Our plan states that both are smartphones share the unlimited data. I keep hearing people talking about no unlimited data on certain lines??

I did preorder Note2 full price so we could keep unlimited and we were not eligible anyway as my line isn't up till Feb.

I can't imagine not having unlimited with the Note2, because its so powerful and with large screen, plan to use Netflix and music a lot!!

eganraC

Apr 12, 2011
I'll be buying outright simple because they tacked on a $30 upgrade fee when I tried to preorder...Yea I know it makes no sense but its a principle thing now...haha

xdadevnube

Jun 28, 2011
I'll be buying outright simple because they tacked on a $30 upgrade fee when I tried to preorder...Yea I know it makes no sense but its a principle thing now...haha

If you purchase the phone outright, say from Verizon or Amazon Wireless, and pop in your working SIM, you don't have to pay the upgrade fee?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

geoff5093

Jun 13, 2011
If you purchase the phone outright, say from Verizon or Amazon Wireless, and pop in your working SIM, you don't have to pay the upgrade fee?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Nope, I bought my DNA yesterday with no upgrade fee when I paid full retail. I also had no fee when buying my GS3 or MAXX HD.

swan3609

I have an unlimited data line and I was due for the upgrade, I moved the upgrade to my dads 4gb tiered line and pre ordered on his line and everything appears to be just fine.. I wonder what the difference was? Did you try and go online and do this? I am not second guessing you, I just dont know what the difference is between our situations..

mi7chy

Oct 26, 2008
I will be giving up unlimited data this go around. After getting laid off of my job of 6 years I had to take a lower paying gig and the only way I could talk my wife into the Note 2 was if we combine our plans. I have never used more than 8 gb in a month and she uses 1 gb. We will either go with the 8 gb shared and save $30 a month by combining or maybe the 10gb plan. Its a small price to pay for me to upgrade from my X to the N2. It is what it is, I will make it work even though it does suck.

Have you considered dropping carrier texting and lowering minutes to 450 while keeping unlimited data and using Google Voice and Groove IP for unlimited calls and unlimited SMS over data? You can also look into applying a corporate discount on your plan. As far as the Note II you're bound to find a good deal on Craigslist.

omgitswes

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah I'm buying it at full retail just to keep unlimited. This will also be my last phone with Verizon. Moving to prepaid T-mobile after this one, hopefully they have real 4G by then

Cgc2

Mar 24, 2011
I've got a 5th line with a 3g dumb phone on Family Share Unlimited plan. Upgrading that to the Note 2 for 2year contract discount. Killing that in 24 hrs and transferring N2 to me/current Gnex and putting dumb phone back on 5th line. Keep unlimited data

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I wish there was a way to keep the plan. It's crazy they try to force you off.

My replacement Fascinate is defective with the constant reboots and overheating while charging. I was going to replace under warranty but I dropped it and the screen cracked which they have already tried to blame that for the problems. Assurion wants 99 bucks for a replacement. They keep telling me that my data usage is low. Yeah, my phone dies in 4 hours and crashes most when I use my web browsers.

Prior to that I was using 3-6 gigs a month. LTE + 2gb a month is like getting a Lambo to drive only in a parking garage.
    I'm likely buying the phone outright and keeping the unlimited data. Even my wife doesn't want me to give up the unlimited data.
    It isn't the same prompt. That one you got I think is only for upgrading/new lines, but the actual part about unlimited to shared data I think is part of the agreement in the terms & conditions you 'sign' while getting the contract price. I would expect it to change automatically later and not instantly. In other words, I think you just lost your unlimited data.

In other words, I think you lost your data package.

No, the day before I tried ordering the phone at full price and it kept prompting me to change my data plan. Today it didn't prompt me for full retail, so I tried the upgrade, and that didn't prompt either. So, the contract I signed is to keep my features as is.

edit: spelling
    As soon as you get the phone just call verzion from the phone with no data and tell them you want to swap the phones.

You may just need to swap out the sim cards but you can ask the rep when you call.

I used to do this all the time when to get cell phone sales.

BTW why don't you just do a buddy upgrade? Your roommate will still lose his unlimited data but it is less of a hassle.

I have 3 total lines - 2 with unlimited data and a 3rd with w/o a data plan. Fortunately, the 2 secondary lines are eligible for upgrade, but my primary line is not (nor would I upgrade on it and lose my unlimited data). So I placed my pre-order for one of the secondary lines, knowing that I will lose unlimited data on that line (my roommates who uses less than 1 GB a month and isn't interested in having new phones). After activating the Note 2 on his line I will then have is switched over to me, giving him my Galaxy Nexus and selling his Thunderbolt. Win-Win! :highfive:

I do have two question though...

1) Do I have to leave the Note 2 activated on the secondary line for a specific amount of time before switching it over to me, or I can activate it and then wait 5 minutes to switch it over to me?

2) Also, is it just as simple as switching out our SIM cards as we both currently have 4G phones?
    cant you transfer the upgrade to a different line then just switch phones? Without messing up the plans?

I only have 1 line though. I don't think it's worth a 2 year plan just to get unlimited data. I just as well buy phone straight up.