[Q] Need some guidance for updating PA4+Beta3

Search This thread

phntem

Jan 20, 2014
Hello,

I recently hopped over from stock to Paranoid Android 4 Beta (0).
This is my first experience messing around with the backend of Android, but I did jailbreak my iPhone a few times, I'd hope that helps my comprehension of all of this.

I currently have the Paranoid OTA installed, and it's telling me there are new versions,
I've downloaded the files and they are on the phone, but whenever I install it restarts and nothing happens. It stays on the current version, I'm doing the

I've been ticking to Backup, wipe the data, cache and dalvik but not the systen.

When it boots back up (it's instant, I'm still on beta(0).

Any help or guidance is appreciated, sorry if this is the wrong place!

lichti1901

Sep 28, 2010
Riding my Bike
Hello,

This is my first experience messing around with the backend of Android, but I did jailbreak my iPhone a few times, I'd hope that helps my comprehension of all of this.

I currently have the Paranoid OTA installed, and it's telling me there are new versions,
I've downloaded the files and they are on the phone, but whenever I install it restarts and nothing happens. It stays on the current version, I'm doing the

I've been ticking to Backup, wipe the data, cache and dalvik but not the systen.

I´m guessing you have a custom recovery installed?.
Get the latest paranoid update from HERE and the latest gapps from HERE.
Boot into recovery and flash ROM GAPPS and if necessary SuperSU and then reboot. Should work.

Reactions: phntem

phntem

Jan 20, 2014
Get the latest paranoid update from [removed] and the latest gapps from [removed]
Boot into recovery and flash ROM GAPPS and if necessary SuperSU and then reboot. Should work.

Hi there Litchi,

Thanks for posting.
I'm so bad at this stuff, I used the Nexus Root Toolkit by WugFresh. I really am a bit clueless on what custom recoveries have been installed. What I can tell you is that I have Paranoid Android 4 Beta with the corresponding GAPPS.

I tried doing Clockword Mod for backups but eventually just stopped trying, and used the backup provided in the toolkit (nandroid I think).

I installed the Paranoid OTA hoping that it would take care of me having to do it through my PC again since the drivers were such a mess last time.
Could you just provide a bit more detail as to the steps I'd need to take for that? I hate being so illiterate at this stuff.

Really appreciate any more help you can give! Thanks.

Last edited:

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Hi there Litchi,

Thanks for posting.
I'm so bad at this stuff, I used the Nexus Root Toolkit by WugFresh. I really am a bit clueless on what custom recoveries have been installed. What I can tell you is that I have Paranoid Android 4 Beta with the corresponding GAPPS.

I tried doing Clockword Mod for backups but eventually just stopped trying, and used the backup provided in the toolkit (nandroid I think).

I installed the Paranoid OTA hoping that it would take care of me having to do it through my PC again since the drivers were such a mess last time.
Could you just provide a bit more detail as to the steps I'd need to take for that? I hate being so illiterate at this stuff.

You really need to read the sticky at the top of this forum called [FAQ] [REF]★ All you need to know about Android | Read this before you post/root ! ★

It gives you all the information you need to know. We pretty much all here advise against using toolkits for the exact reason in your post, it leaves you knowing nothing about your system, what you have got or the knowledge to use it. These toolkits are seen as a shortcut, but please be aware, there are NO shortcuts :)

Please read through that thread a few times. Don't flash anything else until you understand the process, what you have got and how to use it. Please don't take this the wrong way but you are not ready to flash things yet. Even if you have already flashed something, there are holes in yoru knowledge that can have disastrous consequences.

phntem

Jan 20, 2014
You really need to read the sticky at the top of this forum called [FAQ] [REF]★ All you need to know about Android | Read this before you post/root ! ★

It gives you all the information you need to know. We pretty much all here advise against using toolkits for the exact reason in your post, it leaves you knowing nothing about your system, what you have got or the knowledge to use it. These toolkits are seen as a shortcut, but please be aware, there are NO shortcuts :)

Please read through that thread a few times. Don't flash anything else until you understand the process, what you have got and how to use it. Please don't take this the wrong way but you are not ready to flash things yet. Even if you have already flashed something, there are holes in yoru knowledge that can have disastrous consequences.

None taken,

Thanks for the help SU! I never really checked out this website, but I had seen the name around.
Appreciate the link.

Does anyone know why the Paranoid OTA application ITSELF isn't doing the work for me though?

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
None taken,

Thanks for the help SU! I never really checked out this website, but I had seen the name around.
Appreciate the link.

Does anyone know why the Paranoid OTA application ITSELF isn't doing the work for me though?

It may be an issue with the CWM recovery which is what I assume you have installed with the toolkit, as thats about standard...

In android, /sdcard on the nexus 5 isn't actually an /sdcard. /sdcard is actually /data/media/0 so whenever you are looking in what you think is in /sdcard, you're not... it's /data/media/0. It's been like this since 4.2 Jelly Bean, when multiuser support was added to android. The theory is there will be multiple /sdcards, for each user that logs in. The default user is use "0". With me so far?

Before multi-user support, /sdcard for devices with no physical sdcard, was simply /data/media. Now, CWM never bothered to update it's code to point to /data/media/0, so even today, basic CWM doesn't know the full location of your /sdcard. If the updater downloads the files to /sdcard (which it should), then tells CWM to look in /sdcard for the files to flash, the files cannot be seen because CWM is looking in the wrong place.

Essentially, you should look at ditching CWM and it's antiquated configuration in favour of Philz Recovery or TWRP. Both use /data/media/0 correctly as /sdcard

Reactions: Foggy79 and phntem

phntem

Jan 20, 2014
It may be an issue with the CWM recovery which is what I assume you have installed with the toolkit, as thats about standard...

In android, /sdcard on the nexus 5 isn't actually an /sdcard. /sdcard is actually /data/media/0 so whenever you are looking in what you think is in /sdcard, you're not... it's /data/media/0. It's been like this since 4.2 Jelly Bean, when multiuser support was added to android. The theory is there will be multiple /sdcards, for each user that logs in. The default user is use "0". With me so far?

Before multi-user support, /sdcard for devices with no physical sdcard, was simply /data/media. Now, CWM never bothered to update it's code to point to /data/media/0, so even today, basic CWM doesn't know the full location of your /sdcard. If the updater downloads the files to /sdcard (which it should), then tells CWM to look in /sdcard for the files to flash, the files cannot be seen because CWM is looking in the wrong place.

Essentially, you should look at ditching CWM and it's antiquated configuration in favour of Philz Recovery or TWRP. Both use /data/media/0 correctly as /sdcard

Awesome thanks for the patience and information.

Should I unroot and go back to stock via the toolkit, essentially resetting it all?

That's about the last question I have for you,
Appreciate the help!

danarama

Aug 22, 2010

Should I unroot and go back to stock via the toolkit, essentially resetting it all?

Appreciate the help!

Nope. I would read that thread to understand the process and then download one of the alternative recoveries and get yourself to the point where you can fastboot flash the recovery

lichti1901

Sep 28, 2010
Riding my Bike

Appreciate the help!

Please forget the toolkit!

The only thing you need is fastboot.
download TWRP or CWM recovery.img and flash it in fastboot. Boot into bootloader, connect the device with usb cable to PC, open cmd in windows and type following:
fastboot devices Enter ... that should give you a number, means your device is connected
fastboot flash recovery nameofrecovery.img Enter .... that will flash the recovery of your choice to your device. Then from bootloader you can select with volume up + down to boot to recovery. Do that - in recovery you can select what you want to do. Flash rom + gapps + supersu and you are ready to go.
Here is a good link for learning how to use fastboot. beginners-guide-on-how-to-setup-and-use-fastboot/
Learning fastboot is highly recommended - its the same what fastboot does, with 1 difference --> you know what you do ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    None taken,

Appreciate the link.

Hello,

Get the latest paranoid update from HERE and the latest gapps from HERE.
    Hi there Litchi,

Thanks for posting.

Appreciate the help!

Nope. I would read that thread to understand the process and then download one of the alternative recoveries and get yourself to the point where you can fastboot flash the recovery