OTA after rooting

Search This thread

SGS_Daniel

Aug 25, 2014
I know you want people to search for the answer before asking here in the forum. And I have searched for an answer but I haven´t found a straight and clear answer to my question.

I have a SGS4, completely stock.
I want to root it only to disable Samsung´s bloatware on the phone.
Mostly because of those damn update notifications even though I have disabled the apps in the built in Apps Manager.

I was thinking of rooting my phone with towelroot and then freeze those apps with Titanium Backup to get rid of them.
Then I´m gonna run Triangle Away to reset an eventual trigger of Knox and get rid of the triangle warning.
(Will the freezing procedure even trigger Knox?? )

I do NOT intend to flash any custom ROM.
Do I still have to make a NANDROID Backup?

And as I´m having their 2nd newest big phone and looking forward to the next official Android update, my most imortant question is:

Will I be able to update OTA or in KIES if I´ve rooted and used Triangle Away?
Is the only thing I have to do, to unfreeze the apps I´ve frozen in Titanium Backup, run Triangle Away and then unroot in Superuser?

Last edited:
Vet att ni vill man söker efter svaret i tidigare trådar och tro mig, jag har sökt. Men kan inte hitta något klart svar på min fråga.

Har en SGS4 helt stock.
Jag vill roota enbart för att disabla Samsungs bloatware på telefonen.
Mest för att det är en satans plåga att få upp notiser om uppdateringar till dessa appar trots att jag avaktiverat dem i programhanteraren.

Tänkte att jag rootar med towelroot och sedan fryser dessa appar med Titanium Backup så jag slipper dem.

Tänkte sedan köra Triangle Away för att nolla ev triggning av Knox och få bort ev varningar.

Jag ska alltså INTE flasha någon ny ROM.
Behöver jag ändå ta NANDROID Backup?

Och eftersom jag sitter med deras näst senaste flaggskepp och ser fram emot nästa officiella uppdatering av Android, är min absolut viktigaste fråga:

Kommer jag att kunna uppdatera OTA eller via KIES om jag rootat och använt Triangle Away?
Är det bara att unfreeza de appar jag fryst med Titanium, köra Triangle away vid behov och sedan unroota via Superuser?

Hi mate ,

please see forum rule number 4

4. Use the English language.

We understand that with all the different nationalities, not everyone speaks English well, but please try. If you're really unable to post in English, use an online translator. You're free to include your original message in your own language, below the English translation. (This rule covers your posts, profile entries and signature).

More people will be able to help you if you post in english also..

SGS_Daniel

Aug 25, 2014
Sorry about that. Posted in 2 other swedish forums at the same time. Just copied and pasted :)

Here it is in english:

I know you want people to search for the answer before asking here in the forum. And I have searched for an answer but I haven´t found a straight and clear answer to my question.

I have a SGS4, completely stock.
I want to root it only to disable Samsung´s bloatware on the phone.
Mostly because of those damn update notifications even though I have disabled the apps in the built in Apps Manager.

I was thinking of rooting my phone with towelroot and then freeze those apps with Titanium Backup to get rid of them.
Then I´m gonna run Triangle Away to reset an eventual trigger of Knox and get rid of the triangle warning.
(Will the freezing procedure even trigger Knox?? )

I do NOT intend to flash any custom ROM.
Do I still have to make a NANDROID Backup?

And as I´m having their 2nd newest big phone and looking forward to the next official Android update, my most imortant question is:

Will I be able to update OTA or in KIES if I´ve rooted and used Triangle Away?
Is the only thing I have to do, to unfreeze the apps I´ve frozen in Titanium Backup, run Triangle Away and then unroot in Superuser?

egy_b0y

Mar 19, 2014
looking forward to an answe to this

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

you might want to edit your thread so people would actually open it

SGS_Daniel

Aug 25, 2014
I've tried it.

Successfully rooted my Galaxy S4 with towelroot.

Installed superSU v 2.02 by Chain fire from his website as Play Store doesn't have the most recent version. Checked root with Root Checker Basic. Got root!

Installed Titanium Backup and bought Pro version.
Have tried freezing Samsung ChatOn so far.

Checked phone status and Knox is NOT triggered! Which was my biggest concern.

Have not flashed any ROMs or anything else, and do not intend to either.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens when next Android update gets out!

Tkkg1994

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
Jun 10, 2014
Coding City
I've tried it.

Successfully rooted my Galaxy S4 with towelroot.

Installed superSU v 2.02 by Chain fire from his website as Play Store doesn't have the most recent version. Checked root with Root Checker Basic. Got root!

Installed Titanium Backup and bought Pro version.
Have tried freezing Samsung ChatOn so far.

Checked phone status and Knox is NOT triggered! Which was my biggest concern.

Have not flashed any ROMs or anything else, and do not intend to either.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens when next Android update gets out!

Go to settings, your device and check for the updates. The answer will be: Yes, there is an update, no there isn't an update yet or Your phone isn't official, you wont receive any updates. The last one is it xD

SGS_Daniel

Aug 25, 2014
Nope.
In phone settings, in status, it says Phone Status: Official

And when checking for updates it connects to the server and checks. Then says the aren't any updates. But that's because there aren't any updates available. Was already running the latest update (4.4.2) for my phone before rooting.

Tkkg1994

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
Jun 10, 2014
Coding City
Nope.
In phone settings, in status, it says Phone Status: Official

And when checking for updates it connects to the server and checks. Then says the aren't any updates. But that's because there aren't any updates available. Was already running the latest update (4.4.2) for my phone before rooting.

So you will receive the updates, no problem bro :)

SGS_Daniel

Aug 25, 2014
Great to hear :)

Hopefully freezing apps with titanium won't change my phone status.
But I've already frozen the one that nagged me. Samsung ChatOn and everything's fine after that procedure.

Last edited: