Adjust stylus sensitivity

Search This thread

madsquabbles

Jan 31, 2009
if you're having problems with choppiness, light touches, or having to press hard for your pen to register a touch you can adjust the sensitivity easily.

this search for a fix started when i found my gn2 would stutter when getting into the "zone" and start randomly causing accidental touches. from the gn2 forums i found that the sensitivity can be adjusted via a potentiometer in the pen itself.

on my gn10.1 i found the pen too sensitive. in order to draw the thin lines i had to almost hover over the screen and in doing so i ended up with choppy thin lines. after decreasing the sensitivity i can now draw consistent thin lines after adding just a smidge of pressure.

to adjust the sensitivity you'll need to remove the cover of the click button. a razor should do the job. the fastener is on the back end (towards the samsung logo). a little upwards force and it'll pop off easily. after removing, you'll see two pots. the one on the left is the one you want to mess with (dunno what the one on the right does).

using a small screwdriver turn the pot clockwise 1/8 a turn at a time to decrease the sensitivity, counter clockwise for increase. find the setting that suits you the best and reassemble. this trick kept me from making a trip back to the sprint store and exchanging a phone (no replacement stylus yet).

Attachments

• SPEN.jpg
    SPEN.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 10,058
  • pot.jpg
    pot.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 9,009

banderos101

Dec 26, 2010
if you're having problems with choppiness, light touches, or having to press hard for your pen to register a touch you can adjust the sensitivity easily.

this search for a fix started when i found my gn2 would stutter when getting into the "zone" and start randomly causing accidental touches. from the gn2 forums i found that the sensitivity can be adjusted via a potentiometer in the pen itself.

on my gn10.1 i found the pen too sensitive. in order to draw the thin lines i had to almost hover over the screen and in doing so i ended up with choppy thin lines. after decreasing the sensitivity i can now draw consistent thin lines after adding just a smidge of pressure.

to adjust the sensitivity you'll need to remove the cover of the click button. a razor should do the job. the fastener is on the back end (towards the samsung logo). a little upwards force and it'll pop off easily. after removing, you'll see two pots. the one on the left is the one you want to mess with (dunno what the one on the right does).

using a small screwdriver turn the pot clockwise 1/8 a turn at a time to decrease the sensitivity, counter clockwise for increase. find the setting that suits you the best and reassemble. this trick kept me from making a trip back to the sprint store and exchanging a phone (no replacement stylus yet).

Nice find, you should put this in the tips thread aswell:good:

younix258

Feb 18, 2011
Awesome! I was looking for this for quite some time :D

After you take tthe button off, you can put it back on with no consequence correct?

Sent from my HTC Glacier running CM7

madsquabbles

Jan 31, 2009
Awesome! I was looking for this for quite some time :D

After you take tthe button off, you can put it back on with no consequence correct?

Sent from my HTC Glacier running CM7

yep, it just pops back on. put the little notch under the front (towards the pen tip) first then snap it back into place. i've done it with my gn2 and my gn10.1 s-pens so far. i'm pretty sure all wacom pens would be able to be adjusted the same.

sewhuy

Apr 29, 2010
Los Angeles
Just another little tip while removing the button. Place a piece of scotch tape on the bottom portion of the button. The first time I removed it with a razor blade, it went flying towards the kitchen. Luckily it landed in a dirty glass instead of down the drain.

rewrew

Mar 16, 2009
Great tip!!

Could you please show some photos of the button?

Thanks!

Enviado desde mi GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk 2

Omnius001

Jan 31, 2012
Maybe he meant pictures of the s-pen button flying through the kitchen... Uh :p

Sent from my GT-N8000 using xda app-developers dope

Reactions: cecilia

Valkern

Feb 7, 2012
I turned mine to far clockwise and it became ultra sensitive. Recognizing from at least 2 inches away from the glass.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using xda premium

ian800

Nov 2, 2012
Don't own a screwdriver small enough. Will try getting one tomorrow. Since putting a screen protector on I find the s-pen less sensitive ; hopefully this will help.

HasC

Mar 2, 2006
Oh this is great! I wonder if this will work with the Wacom pen we've talked about in this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1931137

I popped open mine, and the pots are side by side like in the Note Spen. Hm, I don't think the screwdriver I have for my eyeglasses is small enough though.

I had an old Lenovo ThinkPad one where I had lost the button and used a rubber pen grip to use with my note when I first purchased it, the sensitivity and offset issue prevented me from using the pen and I had never thought about adjusting the potentiometers until I saw this thread.

I adjusted the sensitivity as detailed and it worked! I still had a problem with the offset where the pen had too much of a distance from nib to where it wrote so I thought to myself, maybe the second potentiometer that we were told not to adjust will resolve this problem and then thought that I've got nothing to lose with this old pen and gave it a shot.

I can confirm that the Pen now works flawlessly as the other potentiometer did indeed adjust the offset.

I now have a pen without the button for when I take intensive notes and no longer will be pressing the side button by accident which used to screw up my notes and was annoying, now it's a thing of the past!

If anyone wants to adjust the second potentiometer, my advise would be that you use the right size screw driver and make small adjustments, test and readjust as per the op.

hoss_n2

I had an old Lenovo ThinkPad one where I had lost the button and used a rubber pen grip to use with my note when I first purchased it, the sensitivity and offset issue prevented me from using the pen and I had never thought about adjusting the potentiometers until I saw this thread.

I adjusted the sensitivity as detailed and it worked! I still had a problem with the offset where the pen had too much of a distance from nib to where it wrote so I thought to myself, maybe the second potentiometer that we were told not to adjust will resolve this problem and then thought that I've got nothing to lose with this old pen and gave it a shot.

I can confirm that the Pen now works flawlessly as the other potentiometer did indeed adjust the offset.

I now have a pen without the button for when I take intensive notes and no longer will be pressing the side button by accident which used to screw up my notes and was annoying, now it's a thing of the past!

If anyone wants to adjust the second potentiometer, my advise would be that you use the right size screw driver and make small adjustments, test and readjust as per the op.

Then the second. Potentiometer is for offset, I will try this with my old note I as it have offset

Sent from my X10S using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I did, I would like to see just the button, to have an idea of exactly how out fits in the hole.

Enviado desde mi GT-N8010 usando Tapatalk 2

here you go
    Oh this is great! I wonder if this will work with the Wacom pen we've talked about in this thread:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1931137

I popped open mine, and the pots are side by side like in the Note Spen. Hm, I don't think the screwdriver I have for my eyeglasses is small enough though.

cool find i actually adjusted sensitivity to where it "clicks" on screen without touching the screen. a features i have been wanting.
    apy2y7y4.jpg

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
    I noticed, that it is not about turning the screw left or right.
    It is about the position of the screw. Does not matter whether you screw left or right.