Update stock rom with root

Search This thread

tomi001

Jul 6, 2012
Hello everyone
I have the stock rom and it shows me there is an update. So now i have the rom rooted and i have a unlocked bootloader. Is there a way to update or must i flash the rom with flashtool again.
Thanks for reply.

Sent from my LG-E986 using xda app-developers app

galapagos

Mar 11, 2013
Hello everyone
I have the stock rom and it shows me there is an update. So now i have the rom rooted and i have a unlocked bootloader. Is there a way to update or must i flash the rom with flashtool again.
Thanks for reply.

Update it and root/install custom recovery again.

galapagos

Mar 11, 2013
And you are 100% sure that it works? Did you also do that?

No, I'm just wasting my time giving bogus assistance to people. :rolleyes:

Of course I am sure it works. I've done it before as many other users in the past.

If you already have the latest kdz file, you can do it in a quicker way by using the flashtool but it sounds like you're new to all this.

You can unroot & update via OTA or use the support tool which will download the updated firmware and install it for you regardless of your root/unlocked status as I've mentioned before (select Update Recovery).

You won't lose any data or settings. It's like dirty flashing a custom rom.

Last edited:
Reactions: tomi001

tomi001

Jul 6, 2012

Of course I am sure it works. I've done it before as many other users in the past.

If you already have the latest kdz file, you can do it in a quicker way by using the flashtool but it sounds like you're new to all this.

You can unroot & update via OTA or use the support tool which will download the updated firmware and install it for you regardless of your root/unlocked status as I've mentioned before (select Update Recovery).

Ok, sorry my friend for the stupid questions and yes i am new. So i go in the lg support tool and just click update, right?

galapagos

Mar 11, 2013
Ok, sorry my friend for the stupid questions and yes i am new. So i go in the lg support tool and just click update, right?

If you're unsure about using the support tool, why don't you just unroot and update via OTA? Like I said above, if you decide to use the support tool, select "update recovery" (your phone should be connected as LG software usb mode). It will put your phone into a download mode, download the latest firmware (1.6gb), and proceed with the installation. If you choose the OTA method, the download size is much smaller.

Reactions: tomi001

tomi001

Jul 6, 2012
If you're unsure about using the support tool, why don't you just unroot and update via OTA? Like I said above, if you decide to use the support tool, select "update recovery" (your phone should be connected as LG software usb mode). It will put your phone into a download mode, download the latest firmware (1.6gb), and proceed with the installation. If you choose the OTA method, the download size is much smaller.

Ok im now confused. When i want to install it via ota update i have just to unroot the phone, because i read that if you have an unlocked bootloader it will stick in a bootloop? So i have to go in supersu and click full unroot and install the update and re-root and the unlocked booltloader doesn't matter??
And via support tool: i have to connect the phone to the computer and download the full firmware and i don't lose the data, is it right? Sorry for this stupid questions but i have no idea.

Last edited:

galapagos

Mar 11, 2013
Ok im now confused. When i want to install it via ota update i have just to unroot the phone, because i read that if you have an unlocked bootloader it will stick in a bootloop? So i have to go in supersu and click full unroot and install the update and re-root and the unlocked booltloader doesn't matter??
And via support tool: i have to connect the phone to the computer and download the full firmware and i don't lose the data, is it right? Sorry for this stupid questions but i have no idea.

In your case, since you have unlocked bootloader, you have to use the support tool. If you have only rooted the phone, you can use the OTA after unroot.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ans what about rhe unlocked bootloader?

It doesn't matter. The easiest way is to connect it to your pc via LG Support Tool which will update your phone regardless of your root/unlocked status.
    And you are 100% sure that it works? Did you also do that?

Voodoo OTA will protect root through the update. Just tested it on both of my parents OGPs.

Sent from my Carbon LG-E980