[Q] Camera buzz focus issue --- Motorcycle, Bicycle, Active Users

Search This thread

cyko

Jul 27, 2007
Dongguan
My apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but I think there might be a problem with the One M8 camera if you're an active user.

I’ve had my phone for one week and tried to take a picture today. When I opened the camera application, there's a light buzzing sound, and the camera can't focus. It appears the focus motor is continually running.

A quick perusal of the web yields several results:

https://plus.google.com/114631337412435356176/posts/Vh7oTyjSSrA

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/821908

It seems the common denominator is vibration from people mounting the device on their handlebars.

I've logged over 100,000 miles of heavy duty motorcycle abuse, on and off road, with a variety of HTC & Samsung equipment. I've never had an issue with vibration, and I've never had a device failure. I'm hoping there isn't an inherent design flaw with the M8 camera that can't withstand normal everyday use from active people.

I'm going to send this one back and try another one, if that one also fails, it will be the end of the line for me and the M8. Fingers crossed this all works out because I love this device.

ajk511

Jul 21, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
My apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but I think there might be a problem with the One M8 camera if you're an active user.

I’ve had my phone for one week and tried to take a picture today. When I opened the camera application, there's a light buzzing sound, and the camera can't focus. It appears the focus motor is continually running.

It seems the common denominator is vibration from people mounting the device on their handlebars.

I've logged over 100,000 miles of heavy duty motorcycle abuse, on and off road, with a variety of HTC & Samsung equipment. I've never had an issue with vibration, and I've never had a device failure. I'm hoping there isn't an inherent design flaw with the M8 camera that can't withstand normal everyday use from active people.

I'm going to send this one back and try another one, if that one also fails, it will be the end of the line for me and the M8. Fingers crossed this all works out because I love this device.

Mine started doing the same thing today! Only when using the regular camera. Front facing camera is fine. But yea, turn on the camera and it starts buzzing and trying to focus.

big70tom

Aug 20, 2011
Exeter, CA 93221

T

Sent from the BEST phone I've ever owned my LG G2

cyko

Jul 27, 2007
Dongguan
Mine started doing the same thing today! Only when using the regular camera. Front facing camera is fine. But yea, turn on the camera and it starts buzzing and trying to focus.

Thanks for posting, did you use it on a bicycle, motorcycle, or sports activity?

I'm not sure what "T" means, does that mean it happened to you as well?

Treatment from HTC CS so far is abysmal, I'm really disappointed with the way they're handling this and I'm having serious doubts about keeping the replacement M8 they give me.

ajk511

Jul 21, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Thanks for posting, did you use it on a bicycle, motorcycle, or sports activity?

Yeah, put in on my motorcycle mount last night for the first time. Just went down the street to get gas and didn't even ride for 15 minutes. The camera started going nuts this morning. Seems to have stopped for now, but for a few hours I couldn't open the camera without it buzzing and constantly trying to refocus. This is pretty sad. I rod with my Samsung Galaxy S3 using the same mount for a year and a half with no issue at all.

cyko

Jul 27, 2007
Dongguan
Yeah, put in on my motorcycle mount last night for the first time. Just went down the street to get gas and didn't even ride for 15 minutes. The camera started going nuts this morning. Seems to have stopped for now, but for a few hours I couldn't open the camera without it buzzing and constantly trying to refocus. This is pretty sad. I rod with my Samsung Galaxy S3 using the same mount for a year and a half with no issue at all.

Look at the bright side, at least yours stopped buzzing. I'm surprised it did, as I haven't heard of anyone else that was able to get the camera to work again.

cyko

Jul 27, 2007
Dongguan
I spent 8 days & 6 customer service reps trying to get HTC to replace my M8. It was purchased in Hong Kong as a gift and they have decided to stick it to me because I'm in the U.S. now. All of the C/S reps lied to me multiple times and no effort was ever made to rectify the situation. Quite bummed that this is the last HTC device I will ever own.

BUYER BEWARE... the number of broken camera complaints continues to grow, it's looking more and more like a serious hardware flaw.

ExcelonGT

Jan 17, 2007
NYC
Bought an m8 yesterday.
Went for a motorcycle ride today with my m8 mounted in my arm mount.

Now my camera is unusable. Same buzzing hardware issue. This looks like a hardware design issue. Has anyone found a solution. Not mounting the phone to the motorcycle isn't going to work for me. I often ride all day long and need to charge the phone while I ride and use it as a GPS

J_Mod45

Mar 28, 2011
Mine started doing this yesterday. Made a 200 mile trip a couple weeks ago, phone on the handlebars of my motorcycle the whole time, camera still worked. Went for an hour ride yesterday, came back, and the camera was doing this. Now I'm trying to talk with the customer service reps, and they just want me to reset everything.

Is having a phone rooted still a deal breaker for warranties like it was a few years ago? I'm hesitant to tell them my phone is rooted and half of their questions don't apply.

spotmark

Feb 18, 2010
Massachusetts
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
Went for a bicycle ride yesterday, with my phone mounted on my handlebars, and sure enough, camera won't focus, and making a buzzing sound. This is BS. I rode over 2000 miles, with my S4 mounted, and never had a problem. Now I can't even ride down the street and my HTC breaks?

Last edited:

MerkoPCS

Jan 16, 2013
Same problem here

I put my One M8 on the stem of my handlebars on my road bike

just started happening after a few hundred miles of riding

Yesterday the camera briefly fixed itself for one picture, then immediately started buzzing again

sneezefreeze

Aug 25, 2014
Road bike vibration

Same problem here

I put my One M8 on the stem of my handlebars on my road bike

just started happening after a few hundred miles of riding

Yesterday the camera briefly fixed itself for one picture, then immediately started buzzing again

Same issue. Mounted on road bike. Seems to be a common problem.

P4THOG3N

Jun 4, 2009
Diamond Bar
Ugh, I have the same damn problem - lots of riding on my motorcycle. Will bring it in today for a replacement, but now I'm considering moving away from this phone as I don't have time to keep S-OFF'ing, etc. every time the hardware craps out :|

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
Just got my M8 2 days ago, Is this affecting a certain variant or all M8's

I don't ride or anything however, it's good to know that the camera module is fragile.
Does anyone know who makes the M8's camera modules?

Maybe informing HTC about this enough will get them to do RMA's to swap the module just like the M7 pink/purple thing delima

duniecool

Jan 1, 2014
Greensboro, NC
Attempted Fix/Thread Revive

I have the same problem as all of you, hopefully we can revive this thread and fix our phones! I messed around with the camera when buzzing and as noted in this thread, it seems that part of the rear camera is messed up, in fact, one can hear rattling when shaking the phone. I found that applying pressure to the rear camera, though of course not recommended, stops the vibrating and allows the camera to work (sometimes). Applying Pressure to the duo camera does not fix the problem and custom roms, cm based that don't use the extra sensor, still have the problem. Thus the common variable is the rear camera (I hope :) ). So, I eliminated the duo camera extra sensor as a reason for the failure. Its bound to be either:
1. the glue holding down the rear camera has lost its grip to to drops and or vibration from motorcycle rides or,
2. constant vibration, dropping, etc, has caused part of the camera module to malfunction.
With these two theories, I have decided to buy an oem rear camera module off ebay, and I will install it into my phone. The problem is either the camera or ruined glue, so, considering that the camera module comes with a sticky surface for installation, this fix should theoretically solve the problem, assuming its as simple as I imagine.
I will post some screenshots and results after the camera replacement, which will take place March 14-15, March 21-22, or March 28-29. I can't make any promises because I have no idea when my ebay order will come in. The camera module itself is scheduled to arrive within a few days, but the replacement camera lens (I broke mine while tinkering around) is scheduled to arrive from Hong Kong in who knows how long.

I hope most of you were able to get replacements from Verizon or HTC. Alas I have some physical wear and tear along with custom software on my phone that makes me skeptical about going to either, so that is not an option. For those with broken cameras, I hope I can help you, and if anybody else has attempted this, I would be glad to hear your results.

Reactions: stlsports

fares-milev

Dec 12, 2013
how to fix camera buzz sound

in the name of allah
first of all i 'm sorry 4 my english.
the problem is sometimes when the htc M8 falls or be on motocycle or any things which moving up & down or vibrate ......... the rear camera (4 ultra pixel)became blurry & a buzz sound appears when the camera is on .so i fix my M8 which have the same problem but unfotunetly you will have to open the M8 for fix it but it's very easy.
1-open the M8 cover (search in google)
2-remove the camera cover (very easy)
attch 1
3-put some piece of tape like in the image (red color =tape piece)
attach 2
4-finally its very important test the camera focus take some photoes
when the buzz sound disappears, the camera clear & focus work fine cover the camera & close the M8
until now my M8 camera work fine is like new
thanks
:eek:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 2,808
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 2,769
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 2,770

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    how to fix camera buzz sound

in the name of allah
    first of all i 'm sorry 4 my english.
    the problem is sometimes when the htc M8 falls or be on motocycle or any things which moving up & down or vibrate ......... the rear camera (4 ultra pixel)became blurry & a buzz sound appears when the camera is on .so i fix my M8 which have the same problem but unfotunetly you will have to open the M8 for fix it but it's very easy.
    1-open the M8 cover (search in google)
    2-remove the camera cover (very easy)
    attch 1
    3-put some piece of tape like in the image (red color =tape piece)
    attach 2
    4-finally its very important test the camera focus take some photoes
    when the buzz sound disappears, the camera clear & focus work fine cover the camera & close the M8
    until now my M8 camera work fine is like new
    thanks
    :eek:
    Just want to post after fixing this issue on a friends camera.
    by adding tape the lens mechanism you are not fixing the issue, you are hiding it and impacting the ability to properly focus.
    The real issue is even more simple to fix, and results in complete repair and full focus.

1) Open the phone
    2) take off the lens cover
    3) You'll notice the little lens inside has a black housing with 4 tabs around the outside of it
    4) This is the screw on cam, what you hear vibrating is a result of vibrations to the phone making this cap loose!!!!
    5) Carefully rotate the cap clockwise until it's tight - do not bruit force is, just go gently until it's tight
    6) put phone back together you are done.

My guess is, when the phone is placed somewhere that has micro vibration, such as the pocket of a car door with the car door speaker playing, or mounting it on a motorbike, the micro vibrations slowly but surely work that lens retaining cap loose to a point where when the phone attempts to focus it cant and in moving to try and focus, the retaining cap vibrates, causing blurryness and that blurryness cascades into a non-recoverable issue.

Tightening the retaining cap on this phone I was handed today, completely fixed the issue, phone now focuses and functions normally, no noise, and its owner says it's taking pictures clearer than it has in a long time.
    Attempted Fix/Thread Revive

I have the same problem as all of you, hopefully we can revive this thread and fix our phones! I messed around with the camera when buzzing and as noted in this thread, it seems that part of the rear camera is messed up, in fact, one can hear rattling when shaking the phone. I found that applying pressure to the rear camera, though of course not recommended, stops the vibrating and allows the camera to work (sometimes). Applying Pressure to the duo camera does not fix the problem and custom roms, cm based that don't use the extra sensor, still have the problem. Thus the common variable is the rear camera (I hope :) ). So, I eliminated the duo camera extra sensor as a reason for the failure. Its bound to be either:
    1. the glue holding down the rear camera has lost its grip to to drops and or vibration from motorcycle rides or,
    2. constant vibration, dropping, etc, has caused part of the camera module to malfunction.
    With these two theories, I have decided to buy an oem rear camera module off ebay, and I will install it into my phone. The problem is either the camera or ruined glue, so, considering that the camera module comes with a sticky surface for installation, this fix should theoretically solve the problem, assuming its as simple as I imagine.
    I will post some screenshots and results after the camera replacement, which will take place March 14-15, March 21-22, or March 28-29. I can't make any promises because I have no idea when my ebay order will come in. The camera module itself is scheduled to arrive within a few days, but the replacement camera lens (I broke mine while tinkering around) is scheduled to arrive from Hong Kong in who knows how long.

I hope most of you were able to get replacements from Verizon or HTC. Alas I have some physical wear and tear along with custom software on my phone that makes me skeptical about going to either, so that is not an option. For those with broken cameras, I hope I can help you, and if anybody else has attempted this, I would be glad to hear your results.
    It's not clear exactly what you're doing with tape. I just see the word "tape" an arrow pointing to the camera. Can you clarify? So it's worked so far?

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

Is this what we're taking about? You can feel the vibration in your hand. Are we saying this only happens while mounted to a bike or that after mounting some time this becomes a permanent problem? Seems permanent so far for me. I did mount to my bicycle and ride often.

Has anyone successfully re-secured the camera after digging in there or replacing with a new camera? If so, details please. Thanks.

Work for me!! I did exactly what fares-milev wrote and everything work fine now. If you look closely on picture 3 you can see a black cercle and this is what you have to stabilize with tape but be careful to dont put tape in front of the lens. The black cercle is separate of the aluminium square and the buzzing sound come from the cercle because its lousse...
    If you arn't patient this is not for you! You have to deal with tiny pieces and you must have a good dexterity.
    Good luck
    sorry I forgot to take picture of the procedure...