Remove Nav Bar Permanently

Search This thread

scaleman75

Mar 25, 2011
getting your submenu back in Google play or whatever app

I had noticed this, but not the part about the menu working with the bar there. perhaps we could mod the framework-res.apk to set the height to 0 or something then we would not need to do the qemu.hw.mainkeys=1..

If you change
qemu.hw.mainkeys=0

I use button savior you will get your submenus back, ok lost the three dots in Google play for applications and this fixed my issue. Instead of

qemu.hw.mainkeys=1 , I used qemu.hw.mainkeys=0 after I originally set at 1, hope it helps.

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

If you change
qemu.hw.mainkeys=0

I use button savior you will get your submenus back, ok lost the three dots in Google play for applications and this fixed my issue. Instead of

qemu.hw.mainkeys=1 , I used qemu.hw.mainkeys=0 after I originally set at 1, hope it helps.

I forgot to mention I froze the soft key bar service and disabled the startup too, as well as keeping qemu.hw.mainkeys at 0. Note the bar will be there if
You go to Kiindle store but only the favorite icon will show up.

Last edited:
Reactions: etom

Shacho

Oct 21, 2010
At Your Own Risk!!! I Am Not Responsible For Anything You Do To Your Device
So if you are like me you're tired of looking at the gaudy version of a nav bar and soft keys that amazon has come up with. So I started looking around for a way to modify the soft keys to look more like stock android. I may at some point dive into the framework and rewrite portions to do this, but in my search I came across an old method for removing the nav bar altogether. It is a very simple build.prop edit and at the same time adds some screen real-estate. I've confirmed this does work on this device, check out the screenshots below.

How to(rooted device):
1- You will first need a soft key/nav buttons app(once this is done the stock keys will be gone, and kinda hard to navigate without some). I like using Button Savior, it allows you to place the soft keys anywhere around the perimeter of the screen, and has multiple themes you can use. Also if you have the paid version you can change the number and position of buttons
2- Using a file manager navigate to /system/build.prop file
3- Open build.prop with a text editor, scroll to the end and on a new line enter:
Code:
qemu.hw.mainkeys=1
4- Save and reboot.

Now there are ways to do this with launchers but it will not be permanently removed and will still show up in apps.
To get stock keys back just delete the line you entered in the build.prop and reboot

Where did you get your predator wallpaper from? I definitely would like to add it to my collection.

SKORPiO1975

Oct 17, 2008
I seem to have missing menu button in Play Store. When I press Menu on button savior, nothing happens. Am I the only one?

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app

scaleman75

Mar 25, 2011
Missing Navigation Bar

I seem to have missing menu button in Play Store. When I press Menu on button savior, nothing happens. Am I the only one?

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app

It will be missing until you freeze and disable softkeys as long as soft keys is running it will be disabled.
Please make sure you have an alternative button active like button savior before disabling it or freezing it.

SKORPiO1975

Oct 17, 2008
It will be missing until you freeze and disable softkeys as long as soft keys is running it will be disabled.
Please make sure you have an alternative button active like button savior before disabling it or freezing it.

Thank you for your answer but I have a lame question, how do I disable softkeyes?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

scaleman75

Mar 25, 2011
Missing Navigation Bar

If you change
qemu.hw.mainkeys=0

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

I forgot to mention I froze the soft key bar service and disabled the startup too, as well as keeping qemu.hw.mainkeys at 0. Note the bar will be there if

I use System Tuner that I downloaded, not sure what everyone else uses? Be careful very powerful tool go to startup within program and make sure you are rooted and find the process softkeys and click to go to more details and at bottom option to freeze, I recommend this because if John don't like it you can go back and click boil and get it back to where you we're. Again caution I am not the best expert like everyone here everyone here so not responsible if it doesn't work or damage to your unit, I know this option works for me. Hope it works for everyone else.

hellbrandt

Apr 16, 2008
Landscape problem

The problem I found with landscape mode (which I prefer) was that after setting qemu.hw.mainkeys = 0 and freezing softkeys (using Titanium Backup) the drop down notification and the keyboard both thought the screen was the same width as when the nav bar was there, so they are both too narrow.

The solutions are close, but not quite there yet.

lordmuggins

Oct 18, 2010
The strange thing about this app, is that you either click something or swipe somewhere to display the softkey menus.

I'd prefer if I was able to make the softkeys the entire width of the screen, and if I could swipe from the bottom, where I have my key placement.. not the side. It means I have to move my hand unnecessarily, just to get to the menu. It's a nice app, just unthought out.

Braves1995

Jan 16, 2013
Is there just no way to set this up to where the notification bar reaches the bottom of the screen? I've tried a couple of different methods now and when pulling the notification bar down it comes up short because it believes the navigation bar is still there. Plus, there are still menu issues for some apps, like the Amazon Store. I have the menu available in Google Play, but not Amazon Store.

Edit: I've edited the ro.sf.lcd_density=240 line to 180. I've also tried 190 and 200. This brings back the menu in Google Play(the down arrow, not the 3 dots), but not all apps. In order to bring down the full status bar, in build.prop, I added the line qemu.hw.mainkeys=1 following the ro.sf.lcd_density=180 line. I did notice, however, further down in the prop file there is another ro.sf.lcd_density line under "Additional Build Properties" preset to 160. Which of these density lines should be edited in order to deal with this menu button issue? And I do have a menu button added to LMT launcher, but it doesn't solve this problem entirely.
I feel like this is close to being perfect, just need another little tweak maybe?

Last edited:

gunnyman

Apr 12, 2010
Greenville SC
is there a way to get rid of the nav bar without it affecting apps that put in a 3 dot menu button in their app?
I've noticed that apps like youtube for example, have a 3 dot menu button in them ,which doesn't show up if you've removed the nag bar. The end result is, even though apps like LMT HAVE a menu button option it doesn't work.

Braves1995

Jan 16, 2013
is there a way to get rid of the nav bar without it affecting apps that put in a 3 dot menu button in their app?
I've noticed that apps like youtube for example, have a 3 dot menu button in them ,which doesn't show up if you've removed the nag bar. The end result is, even though apps like LMT HAVE a menu button option it doesn't work.

I've been wondering this very same thing for two weeks now myself. Would love if somebody came up with a solution because I do enjoy not having the navbar and being able to use LMT instead. I tried lowering the dpi in build.prop, which does bring back the dot menu for a few apps, but not all. Plus, I'm not very fond of the text being any smaller.

Maromi

Jul 18, 2012
I've been wondering this very same thing for two weeks now myself. Would love if somebody came up with a solution because I do enjoy not having the navbar and being able to use LMT instead. I tried lowering the dpi in build.prop, which does bring back the dot menu for a few apps, but not all. Plus, I'm not very fond of the text being any smaller.

make sure lmt is set to startup after loading

change this setting back to 0
qemu.hw.mainkeys=1 to qemu.hw.mainkeys=0

open /system/app
rename SoftkeyBar.apk to SoftkeyBar.bak
reboot

jjwhsw.png

Reactions: gunnyman

ursus101

Mar 31, 2012
Edit: I've edited the ro.sf.lcd_density=240 line to 180. I've also tried 190 and 200. This brings back the menu in Google Play(the down arrow, not the 3 dots), but not all apps. In order to bring down the full status bar, in build.prop, I added the line qemu.hw.mainkeys=1 following the ro.sf.lcd_density=180 line. I did notice, however, further down in the prop file there is another ro.sf.lcd_density line under "Additional Build Properties" preset to 160. Which of these density lines should be edited in order to deal with this menu button issue?

What does the ro.sf.lcd_density option control in general?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    At Your Own Risk!!! I Am Not Responsible For Anything You Do To Your Device
    So if you are like me you're tired of looking at the gaudy version of a nav bar and soft keys that amazon has come up with. So I started looking around for a way to modify the soft keys to look more like stock android. I may at some point dive into the framework and rewrite portions to do this, but in my search I came across an old method for removing the nav bar altogether. It is a very simple build.prop edit and at the same time adds some screen real-estate. I've confirmed this does work on this device, check out the screenshots below.

How to(rooted device):
    1- You will first need a soft key/nav buttons app(once this is done the stock keys will be gone, and kinda hard to navigate without some). I like using Button Savior, it allows you to place the soft keys anywhere around the perimeter of the screen, and has multiple themes you can use. Also if you have the paid version you can change the number and position of buttons
    2- Using a file manager navigate to /system/build.prop file
    3- Open build.prop with a text editor, scroll to the end and on a new line enter:
    Code:
    qemu.hw.mainkeys=1
    4- Save and reboot.

Now there are ways to do this with launchers but it will not be permanently removed and will still show up in apps.
    To get stock keys back just delete the line you entered in the build.prop and reboot
    Works on 7" KFHD, too. Just set up, very cool. Big thanks :)

Sent from my rooted Kindle Fire HD
    getting your submenu back in Google play or whatever app

I had noticed this, but not the part about the menu working with the bar there. perhaps we could mod the framework-res.apk to set the height to 0 or something then we would not need to do the qemu.hw.mainkeys=1..

If you change
    qemu.hw.mainkeys=0

If you change
    qemu.hw.mainkeys=0

make sure lmt is set to startup after loading

change this setting back to 0
    qemu.hw.mainkeys=1 to qemu.hw.mainkeys=0

open /system/app
    rename SoftkeyBar.apk to SoftkeyBar.bak
    reboot

jjwhsw.png