[NIGHTLY/KERNEL][USER] UNOFFICIAL CM9 + 3.0.x Kernel for K-Fire [3.0.31+ 06-28]

Search This thread

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
Hashcode merged a bunch of kernel updates before releasing the newest kernel, so it probably just broke one of his edits to make HWA work. Netflix and Youtube HD are affected. Heres the error, http://pastebin.com/eThvDgS3

Thanks and thanks for your overall help with getting these issues fixed. I just restored my nandroid of K4 for now, I'm sure Hashcode will get it figured out soon enough. He's been a beast attacking this kernel. :D

Mike T

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Hashcode merged a bunch of kernel updates before releasing the newest kernel, so it probably just broke one of his edits to make HWA work. Netflix and Youtube HD are affected. Heres the error, http://pastebin.com/eThvDgS3

Yep. To Confirm: It looks like I broke HW codecs merging in a bugfix for the PVR libs from Omapzoom.

I'll get a fix out late tonight after work.

tokyostomp

Dec 3, 2011
i have a question about charging. my kindle totally discharged and now i cant get it to turn on. im on update 5

Mr.Macchiato

Apr 20, 2012
Hashcode, if I had any money to spare, I'd donate some.
You rock.
Thank you for all your hard work.

I use the FIREFIREFIRE Extended Bootloader to boot ICS and CM7. I've found that if I get the striping problem, I can boot into CM7 to resolve it. Booting into TWRP does not solve the problem, as has been stated. I don't know if this is helpful information or not, but I thought it might help to narrow down the cause.

Thanks again.

tokyostomp

Dec 3, 2011
you tube and amazon prime video also have problems these were working on build 3. i skipped build 4 and flashed the kernel build 5.2 (a reboot didn't help). net flix will restart after a reboot but once u stop the blank vidoe and go out and back into netflix it won't let u in. guess i'll go back to build 3 until this is fixed. off subject i miss the performance setting for 1200 as i used this with a min of 800 and it worked great.

how are you getting amazon prime videos to work?

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
I am also getting those weird lines on the screen. Just wanted to let you know. Thanks for making this kernel!

To those getting the lines on resume, my current theory is an LCD timing issue. I have a couple theories which I'll try 1 at a time over the next few builds.

And the 1.2ghz kernel will be available as things settle down. I kept wondering everytime I saw someone with an issue -- is this because of the 1.2ghz kernel?

Sent from my XT894 using XDA

pbailey212

Apr 12, 2011
I thaught you took a night off... you should have. Don't burn your self out for us hulligans

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Reactions: lovejoy777

DiscMan55

Feb 29, 2012
I've seen LCD striping before. Try this: take the battery out of a phone while it is displaying a colourful picture. Look closely at the LCD after the backlight goes off. You'll see the LCD slowly striping to blank. At least that's how I see it on old Nokia phones.

If it happens while an LCD is powered on I'd be inclined to think perhaps electric impulsed not firing often enough (low voltage or wrong settings in regulator or similar ?). Does it get resolved if the kindle fire is left off completely for a while ?

Maybe there are different LCD types and they need different settings for timing control that somewhere are set to a value suitable only for one.

Just throwing ideas out there. :) not a driver developer.

Last edited:

tokyostomp

Dec 3, 2011
I can also be counted in with the streaking and non working Netflix. Oddly enough I can do YouTube HD just fine

rcolddroid

Jul 18, 2011
how are you getting amazon prime videos to work?

log into the the full amazon store and find instant streaming and select your prime movie. Note: you must have Flash install installed for this work. I had to go to the Play market to get flash as Amazon app market doesn't have a free version of it.

Hope this helps you!

---------- Post added at 04:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 AM ----------

To those getting the lines on resume, my current theory is an LCD timing issue. I have a couple theories which I'll try 1 at a time over the next few builds.

And the 1.2ghz kernel will be available as things settle down. I kept wondering everytime I saw someone with an issue -- is this because of the 1.2ghz kernel?

Sent from my XT894 using XDA

no on build 3 i used min 800 and max 1200 and it worked great. i went back there from the latest kernel because i know longer could play videos as has been stated. also almost my apps worked and i just updated for the bug fixes.

Thanks Hashcode for all your hard work! I will be donating again soon and I hope others will too. I test software for a living and know how difficult it is to do what you have done and in such a short time.

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
04-20: KERNEL.ZIP #6 CAN BE FOUND HERE (FLASH IN RECOVERY): http://bit.ly/HXOaPh
md5sum: be8ce5c9196a34f23b8a60b58012c9c5
- BUGFIX: HW Codecs working again

Sorry for the hassle, here's a working flash containing:
- 1.0ghz kernel
- all updated kernel modules: wifi, sgx(in the ramdisk) and tun
- as well as all of the PVR binaries to match

riddle777

Apr 9, 2012
Thanks for the hard work its appreciated. Just dropped some coin into the beer fund.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using XDA

riddle777

Apr 9, 2012
My fire is recognizing the wall charger and taking a charge. Not sure why mine is working and others aren't. Build #6

riddle777

Apr 9, 2012
Everything seems to be working for me on the latest build, and still no issues with the wall charger bug. This build is getting solid. The lack of OC is definitely noticed on my fire with #6.

Aesrys

Apr 5, 2012
All,

I'm still fairly new to flashing ROMs for my Fire, so I'm hoping someone can answer a question for me. Once I've flashed a ROM (like the one in #3), what steps do I need to take to flash the latest kernel (like #6)? I'm using TWRP 2.0. I guess I'm really wondering what needs to be wiped once a ROM has been installed. Thanks for any help and sorry for the noob question.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NEW KERNEL IS CHARGING. OS DOESN'T SHOW THE CHARGING ICON.
    Make sure when you plug in to check the Settings -> Battery screen and see "Charging"

06-28: KERNEL.ZIP #13 IS NOW READY HERE (FLASH IN RECOVERY): REMOVED TEMP
    (Recompiling w/o Linaro for compatibility)
    md5sum: a16c281fa3dbe0962c6dc2c03e6df5bc
    Full ROM: http://bit.ly/NaD2vW
    md5sum: d9dfe6f5f97eadbeaecc86d0314cb80e
    - Mainline Linux 3.0.31 updates
    - TI kernel 3.0.21 branch updates
    - [ROM-Only] Now w/ "OtterParts where the touchscreen filter setting can be set (0 as default, but 30 is very usable) -- (Scott Brady)
    - Built using Linaro toolchain
    - Added KRAIT optimizations (not sure how effective yet) (twa_priv)

NOTE: I haven't adjusted the nightly server to use the 3.0.31 kernel OR Linaro yet. This is the only ROM link I've built with it in it.

[06-27-2012] UNOFFICIAL NIGHTLY SERVER IS RUNNING:
    DOWNLOAD HERE
    GApps: http://goo.im/gapps (4/29 is the latest in the CM9 row)
    These builds are using a stock framework which includes the volume slider mod. It's kept up-to-date by twa_priv.

STEPS FOR UPDATING:
    1. Download .zip file from the nightly server and place on your device
    2. Reboot into recovery and apply .zip
    3. If coming from any ROM which is not CM9 please wipe data/cache/Dalvik Cache
    4. Reboot and enjoy

LATEST CHANGES:
    [06-26-2012] Added sbradymobile's touch filter patch + OtterParts for controlling the filter level (30 recommended, default as 0 for now) (under Settings -> Advanced) [THANKS!]

SOLO KERNEL NOTES:

06-08: KERNEL.ZIP #12 IS NOW READY HERE (FLASH IN RECOVERY): http://bit.ly/KPbDVm
    md5sum: e7476ff785b2dfbdb062e1cc036c14ac
    - Touchscreen driver changes (event optimization, ICS friendly)
    - Updated the WLAN driver to R5.00.18 (up from R5.00.5)
    - Cleaned up the charger code some more (part of on-going charger work)
    - Added more support for PPTP and L2TP connections
    - [NEW 06/08] Added CCMP support used in 802.11i for EAPOL/WPA2/IPSEC connections using 4-way handshakes (Will fix some users who can't connect to wifi at certain locations)

TROUBLESHOOTING FOR USB not being recognized in Windows 7 (while the Kindle is *NOT* plugged into computer):
    - Open Device Manager
    - Right-click your computer name and select "Show Hidden Devices"
    - The top device group should be: Android device(or phone): under it "Android ADB Composite device"
    - Right-click on that and select uninstall
    - Now plug the Kindle back into the computer and let driver re-install

IF FOR SOME REASON WIFI DOESN'T WORK ON THE FIRST BOOTUP DO THE FOLLOWING:
    Enter Terminal Emulator
    Type: su
    Type: fix-mac.sh
    Exit Terminal Emulator
    Reboot

THIS ROM SHOWS OFF HOW WELL ICS CAN RUN ON THE KINDLE FIRE.
    ** READY FOR DAILY USE **

If I had just installed this ROM and I wanted to see something that might not work in the stock-kernel based ICS ROM, then I'd try the following:
    - Install "Chrome Beta" from the market and test it out.
    - Audio is more stable.
    - Launcher is smoother due to full PVR graphic support
    - Try YouTube!

For user support, look to this thread! Please keep discussion here as to what works and what doesn't, etc.
    06-08: KERNEL.ZIP #12 IS NOW READY HERE (FLASH IN RECOVERY): http://bit.ly/KPbDVm
    md5sum: e7476ff785b2dfbdb062e1cc036c14ac
    - Touchscreen driver changes (event optimization, ICS friendly)
    - Updated the WLAN driver to R5.00.18 (up from R5.00.5)
    - Cleaned up the charger code some more (part of on-going charger work)
    - Added more support for PPTP and L2TP connections
    - [NEW 06/08] Added CCMP support used in 802.11i for EAPOL/WPA2/IPSEC connections using 4-way handshakes (Will fix some users who can't connect to wifi at certain locations)
    I think we can safely agree that the charger driver has issues and it's being worked on. And that each user should ensure that their device charges correctly without the aid of seeing the charging icon in the status bar.

The details are really irrelevant.

ONCE AGAIN KEEP IT CIVIL. WHICH MEANS: don't accuse each other of lying, call each other names, or use otherwise inflammatory remarks.

While rude and insensitive, its also mucking up my thread which is supposed to be a useful resource.

I say this as someone who religiously pages through almost every thread in this area and often could respond badly to poorly worded kernel demands, etc. It doesn't take much to turn a well intentioned post into something worse. And sometimes its due to language barriers or other issues which are beyond control.

A thick skin is almost a requirement in any public forum setting.

/rant

On a side note the new driver is working with the OS: I get a charging icon when plugging in. Now on to removing the extra battery device, fixing suspend and a pleathora of mode switch issues.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2
    TEST BUILD #3 IS READY HERE: http://bit.ly/IShcSq

There are 2 changes for this build:
    - HW Codecs are now working.
    - Kernel included in this build is running "silicon type performance" mode. Meaning it's a stock overclock to 1.2 Ghz. Please test this as well.

If you have ANY issues with the 1.2 Ghz speed and want to step back down to 1.0 Ghz do the following:
    - Enter "Settings"
    - Choose "Performance" (at the bottom)
    - Click "Ok"
    - Select "Processor" (the first item on the right)
    - Choose "Maximum CPU frequency"
    - Set this to 1008
    - Then check the "Set on boot" option
    05-10: KERNEL.ZIP #9 IS NOW READY HERE (FLASH IN RECOVERY): http://bit.ly/Iz9J4s
    md5sum bb453c85f7155cea3fab1c83cae65c73
    [ FULL STOCK CM9 ROM AVAILABLE HERE: http://bit.ly/JC6UBT ]
    md5sum 0d7677af67501b0f467130016fb1f928
    - updated PVR/graphics drivers for bugfix (same version 1.8@869593): fixes slight text corruption in at 270 degree rotation and memory leak
    - cleanup work on backlight driver, still flashes on resume slightly (Icemank121)
    - cpu governor: conservative cherry-pick improvment patches (Entropy512)
    - [ROM ONLY] Wifi netloc (GPS) working! (Entrophy512)
    - wifi .ini file change to TQS_S_2.6.ini (doesn't have 5ghz settings like the other)
    - [ROM ONLY] Volume increase (Kuzma30), updated CM9 build, reboot recovery fix, included volume slider, and commented out "survey data missing!" in wpa_supplicant_8, higher quality bootanimation

DEV NOTES: ROM Build is now fixed so that PVR modules are built with the kernel.