Changing the Start Button Icon

Search This thread

Prof. Yaffle

Mar 19, 2008
OnePlus 6T
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Sorry, completely missed your post.

The top bar is one I modified from one in the Diamond forum. The bottom icons are Simply Black. I just made a cab out of the slider part for ease.

If you want to install the Top bar then you must install sdkcert.cab if you've not already got it.

Attachments

• sdkcert.cab
    4.6 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Kizmet

Jan 18, 2008
Nice work, prof. Have installed the top bar and the simply black icon set... plus a crystal clock called crystalholyfox.

Looks brilliant!

skull6412

Jun 5, 2007
Original Start Icon

Can anyone make a cab to bring back the original Start icon? Thank you very much.

shridharms

Dec 10, 2008
cab file for the windows sign start button

can anybody post the .cab file for the windows logo start button please... that SE logo looks really cool ......

thanks in advance

shri

MRFERRARI23

Jul 19, 2007
NYC AkA GOTHAM!
Sorry, completely missed your post.

The top bar is one I modified from one in the Diamond forum. The bottom icons are Simply Black. I just made a cab out of the slider part for ease.

If you want to install the Top bar then you must install sdkcert.cab if you've not already got it.

is the htc colored top bar cab that you made just for the start menu icon??? cause thats what i want???

Last edited:

sk806

Jan 30, 2005
Rye, New York
Vista Start Icon

SECOND EDIT: OK, this is now stable (i.e., doesn't show phone/minimise when an app is rotated), but the volume control overlay is small. I can live with this, as I don't really use it so much, but if anyone knows how to fix this PLEASE let me know. I read through all 181 pages of the Diamond thread, and I still can't figure it out :(

Other than the volume overlay issue, I think this looks quite nice.

EDIT: Nope, its having the rotate problem now after an hour of use GRRRRRR...I will remove the attachment. Would people be interested in a stable version, but with the gimpy volume screen?

Hello,

Would anyone be interested in trying out the attached taskbar (WWE) I made from various pieces I found around? The volume overlay shows properly, and I have not had issues with the "rotation problem" (i.e., opera, etc. doesn't quit/show phone when screen rotates to lanscape), but would like to see if others do. If this issue is solved, I will be very happy. In any event, the CAB should be fully uninstallable if you have problems.

To give credit where credit is due, I got the start icon from member Tsowen, here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=3151415&postcount=1714. I got the other parts from DarkLord69. All I did was assemble and unsign, resign, add their icons. Thanks guys.

PS - Tsowen, if you read this, Longhorns got jobbed this year :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    101.4 KB · Views: 1,031
Last edited:

casascha

Sep 30, 2008
SECOND EDIT: OK, this is now stable (i.e., doesn't show phone/minimise when an app is rotated), but the volume control overlay is small. I can live with this, as I don't really use it so much, but if anyone knows how to fix this PLEASE let me know. I read through all 181 pages of the Diamond thread, and I still can't figure it out :(

EDIT: Nope, its having the rotate problem now after an hour of use GRRRRRR...I will remove the attachment. Would people be interested in a stable version, but with the gimpy volume screen?

Hello,

Would anyone be interested in trying out the attached taskbar (WWE) I made from various pieces I found around? The volume overlay shows properly, and I have not had issues with the "rotation problem" (i.e., opera, etc. doesn't quit/show phone when screen rotates to lanscape), but would like to see if others do. If this issue is solved, I will be very happy. In any event, the CAB should be fully uninstallable if you have problems.

To give credit where credit is due, I got the start icon from member Tsowen, here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=3151415&postcount=1714. I got the other parts from DarkLord69. All I did was assemble and unsign, resign, add their icons. Thanks guys.

Looks great ... Thanks

What do you think about an icon like that below ?

I would love to have one looking like that ;)

Attachments

• skull_and_bones_0154.jpg
    skull_and_bones_0154.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 16
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 11

sk806

Jan 30, 2005
Rye, New York
Looks great ... Thanks

What do you think about an icon like that below ?

I would love to have one looking like that ;)

I think the issue (for me) with this is making these images into icons, that is making the backgrounds behind the skulls transparent and smoothing edges, etc. I personally stink at this (although I am working on improving)...

Anyone want to take this up? I will make the DLLs.

Diolectic

Jan 27, 2008
Hello,

PS - Tsowen, if you read this, Longhorns got jobbed this year:
Screenshot_1.png
View attachment 158250
Is there any way to make this cab into one that will work for Dell Axim X50v WM2003 SE?
Or, how could I make tha cab myself?

Thanx

Oh Oh yeah, another question:
Does ROMExtracter actually extract (take out) the part of rom I extracted, or does it only copy that part of rom to take out and do whatever with?

Last edited:

Kash

Feb 4, 2009
Manchester
Bluetooth icon

Thanks for the taskbar icons, look great
Only problem I have is the bluetooth icon hasn't changed, it remains white
Any ideas why?

kevinpwhite

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 19, 2006
Request Help Please !

This is the thread I used to alter the Windows logo to a HTC logo among other things in this thread. It's dead easy,

1) Unsign the file using Unsigner linked to in the thread further up (on page 2 of the Unsigner thread there's a .bat file that I found gave a better idea of whether it had worked or not).
2) Open the file in Reshacker and go to Icon on the left hand side and click it to expand it. Go to number 292, click it and it will expand to show 1033. Click 1033 and it should be the start menu icon. Right click on 1033 and select Replace Resource. Select Open File With New Icon and find your new (resized) icon. Double click it and it will show a preview of new and old. Click Replace in the bottom right corner.
3) Save the newly modified file.
4) Sign the modified file using Ssigner linked to in the thread above. CHECK THE TEXT FILE IT CREATES TO MAKE SURE IT SIGNED OK. Don't forget this bit as it will mean a hard reset if you do (as I learnt).
5) If you've not installed SDKCert.cab some time in the past. download it from here, copy it to the phone and install it.
6) Copy the file to the Windows directory on the phone using Resco Explorer or Total Commander.
7) Reboot the phone.

I would appreciate some help please !

I am running WM6.5 on a Toshiba TG01 and am trying unsuccessfully to be able to edit the shellres.192.dll file to amend the Start Button icon among others.

The recognised standard Taskbar replacements from GFreek and TS Owen install absolutely fine.

I have used the standard process of:
- Extract file off the device using ROMExtractor
- Unsign
- Edit; eg. Including replacing one or more icons with ones to identical sizing as originals
- Resign (using latest 2010 certificate files)
- Make sure SDCerts is installed on the device
- Replace to device via uSD card using Resco or Total Commander (I've tried both)
- Soft reset

I have also extracted this file from both GFreek's and TSOwen's Taskbars and tried both editing and inserting as above or simply placing direct onto the device without opening. None of the above work; the end result is always that the device ends up booting after the SR to unuseable state without Start icon and usually no top bar icons at all.

I have also tried as an experiment the following:
- Hard reset and boot
- Extract base shellres.192.dll from ROM
- Lift to PC; unsign, re-sign and reinsert
- Re-insert totally untouched

Result - failure

And finally, the most basic process....
- Hard reset and boot
- Extract base shellres.192.dll from ROM
- Re-insert totally untouched

Result - once again total failure.

This suggests that there is something really fundamental I am missing in the whole process.....

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:

rclark27

Jun 29, 2008
Fort Worth
This is the thread I used to alter the Windows logo to a HTC logo among other things in this thread. It's dead easy,

1) Unsign the file using Unsigner linked to in the thread further up (on page 2 of the Unsigner thread there's a .bat file that I found gave a better idea of whether it had worked or not).
2) Open the file in Reshacker and go to Icon on the left hand side and click it to expand it. Go to number 292, click it and it will expand to show 1033. Click 1033 and it should be the start menu icon. Right click on 1033 and select Replace Resource. Select Open File With New Icon and find your new (resized) icon. Double click it and it will show a preview of new and old. Click Replace in the bottom right corner.
3) Save the newly modified file.
4) Sign the modified file using Ssigner linked to in the thread above. CHECK THE TEXT FILE IT CREATES TO MAKE SURE IT SIGNED OK. Don't forget this bit as it will mean a hard reset if you do (as I learnt).
5) If you've not installed SDKCert.cab some time in the past. download it from here, copy it to the phone and install it.
6) Copy the file to the Windows directory on the phone using Resco Explorer or Total Commander.
7) Reboot the phone.
Can you give me the HTC logo in green? I can't find it anywhere. Thanks.

hunterx44

Nov 25, 2010
20% max??

Hello,

Hey i installed it and it works great, but somehow if my battery is full the battery icon says 20%? it just doesn't go any higher than that..

nevermind fixed!

Last edited: