Installing official firmware again

Search This thread

bitsnpieces

Mar 26, 2008
Hi,

Not sure if I'm in the right place, but I have the Sony Xperia Z and recently got it rooted to the Cyanogenmod, but not quite liking it.

My dislike isn't necessarily the firmware itself, it is that I really like the Sony-made functions, specifically the camera (it's better quality than what Cyanogenmod is giving me)

So my question, if I install the official firmware back onto the phone, is it still rooted? Can I still go into recovery mode, for example?
I see XZDualRecovery on my memory card, as long as I keep it there, will recovery mode work?

If the only way to keep these stuff working is use a custom firmware, then out of the many firmwares out here, which one still uses the Sony features? Which one is actually based on the official firmware?
I see a lot but all the new terms and options out there is just confusing.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Rajeev

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 24, 2012
Chennai , I N D I A
Xiaomi 13 Pro
Please do not post any thread like this in here. Its A development Thread. Pls read some rules before posting in xda..

And now u r in cm 11. After flashing stock firmware u will lost root and cwm recovery. 100℅. Otherwise download any stock rom and flash it. Pls don't ask which rom is good. All roms r good.

Best regards..

bitsnpieces

Mar 26, 2008
Hi, thank you for your response.

As mentioned, I don't know if I'm in the right place. I just noticed the other sections; I'm happy for moderators to move this to the correct place.

Also, I think you misunderstood my question.

Yes, I know all custom firmwares are good - but I'm asking which one is still using Sony's features? I really want to have the Cybershot quality of photos.
If there is a custom firmware out there, which is it? I ask because it's confusing as I'm new to the various terminologies used here. EG. http://xdaforums.com/xperia-z/orig-development/kma-cm-11-101-sony-kernel-blobs-t2708325
Does that mean it's still using all of what Sony offers, then more? Or just meaning this is for Sony phones?
So my concern again is, which custom firmware is still using Sony's features?

If there's none, then thank you for answering my other question - I guess if I decide to go back to the official firmware, I will not have all the features of a rooted phone, which is unfortunate. But i just had a thought, I remember during my initial rooting stage, before installing CFW, it was all rooted and all. Does that mean, if I go back to OFW, then root it again, as long as I don't install a CFW, I can still use the OFW with rooted features? (as in, download superuser and stuff like that to use)

But yes, please, any moderators out there, feel free to move this to the correct section. Sorry.

Last edited:

bitsnpieces

Mar 26, 2008
Well, decided to reinstall the official firmware - will now root it and keep it on the official firmware.

Thank you.

bitsnpieces

Mar 26, 2008
Awesome Orangewanted - thank you for the link. :)
@K9998 - yep, that's what I did in the end - took some time to get it all working but super happy with what I have now. Also been reading that Sony's 4.4.2 KitKat has problems so I'll probably be on 4.3 for a while, also because it still has some sort of SIM support which I prefer to use...

Mario210

Apr 22, 2010
Biłgoraj
Use .233 firmware

Awesome Orangewanted - thank you for the link. :)
@K9998 - yep, that's what I did in the end - took some time to get it all working but super happy with what I have now. Also been reading that Sony's 4.4.2 KitKat has problems so I'll probably be on 4.3 for a while, also because it still has some sort of SIM support which I prefer to use...

You can use .233 firmware and flash true Flashtools. I dont see any problems with 4.4.2 Sony Firmware ( not acording to battery drain, but its google fault not Sony ) Here is the link Firmware .233

bitsnpieces

Mar 26, 2008
Awesome! That's exactly what I was looking for (of course, previously had no idea how to do it, but worked it now, and didn't know where to get the stuff I wanted, which now there is).

However, my biggest beef is that, from what I understand, Google removed SIM card support in KitKat? Because my contacts are all on SIM (and though I can save it to card, and then just transfer them over to KitKat contacts, I don't like linking my Facebook and Skype accounts, etc, into my contacts... Thus when I was using Cyanogenmod... Contacts was just a mess), does Sony's KitKat version still support SIM usage (incase Sony worked out a way to keep it working)?

It'll have the Cyber-shot camera which I'm happy about (presuming they kept it in KitKat), but SIM is the next big thing for me...