S5 screen TOO sensitive?!?!

Search This thread

jinxman

Apr 12, 2008
hamburg
Google Pixel 6 Pro
renders the device useless

i am happy to have the s5 as my second device, so i just play around with it. were i to have to use it as my primary device, i'd go mad, as it has a mind of its own and applications and actions are triggered by themselves, thus disturbing whatever workflow i find myself in, on a regular basis. i presume this is the case with all large screen devices with very little non sensitive areas around the border.

biTToe

Jul 11, 2012
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
blah blah blah...

So, after all this yammering: defective, not defective, screen away from your body... blah blah blah
Is there an answer to the original question: Is there a way to reduce screen sensitivity?
I have the same issue (coming from the S3).
I would even consider a screen protector (as much as I hate them).

It is maddening.
It is the single most annoying thing about this phone, followed closely by the locked bootloader

Anyone, Anyone, Bueller?
ƒ

@non4

Jun 11, 2012
Gothicus
So, after all this yammering: defective, not defective, screen away from your body... blah blah blah
Is there an answer to the original question: Is there a way to reduce screen sensitivity?
I have the same issue (coming from the S3).
I would even consider a screen protector (as much as I hate them).

It is maddening.
It is the single most annoying thing about this phone, followed closely by the locked bootloader

Anyone, Anyone, Bueller?
ƒ
The screen is perfect. Try using it with gloves, works even without the extra sensitive setting. And as for activation in pocket, my s3, optimus 4x, xperia sp etc all did this. Use a password or your fingerprint sensor, touchscreens are sensitive because if they weren't they would suck

Last edited:

biTToe

Jul 11, 2012
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
The screen is perfect. Try using it with gloves, works even without the extra sensitive setting. And as for activation in pocket, my s3, optimus 4x, xperia sp etc all did this. Use a password or your fingerprint sensor, touchscreens are sensitive because if they weren't they would suck

I am glad you like your phone, that is very nice...
But your reply was totally non-contributory and you're suggestion to use gloves is asinine. There are many of us with this problem. Perhaps there is no solution but we are seeking HELP, not the yammering of some self-important fanboy with nothing useful to say.

@non4

Jun 11, 2012
Gothicus
I am glad you like your phone, that is very nice...
But your reply was totally non-contributory and you're suggestion to use gloves is asinine. There are many of us with this problem. Perhaps there is no solution but we are seeking HELP, not the yammering of some self-important fanboy with nothing useful to say.

Hahaha really? I meant try using gloves to demonstrate something, not to actually wear gloves all the time. Fanboy? Nah, I went for the best deal, I quite fancy the xperia z3, I have no brand preference except no apple, and even that would change if they did. My suggestion is a secure lockscreen, or some sort of touch blocking app when touch is not desirable. I can think of no other solution, really the problem is non secure lockscreen being too easily activated, had this problem with my old htc and my lg. Music annoys me too, sometimes skipping tracks but its rare. The only full fix would be a kernel with a sensitivity module of some sort

Last edited:

biTToe

Jul 11, 2012
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Hahaha really? I meant try using gloves to demonstrate something, not to actually wear gloves all the time. Fanboy? Nah, I went for the best deal, I quite fancy the xperia z3, I have no brand preference except no apple, and even that would change if they did. My suggestion is a secure lockscreen, or some sort of touch blocking app when touch is not desirable. I can think of no other solution, really the problem is non secure lockscreen being too easily activated, had this problem with my old htc and my lg. Music annoys me too, sometimes skipping tracks but its rare. The only full fix would be a kernel with a sensitivity module of some sort

The lock screen is only one of the annoyances. If my fingers get too close while reading or stay a little too far while swiping the screen unexpected things happen: menus pop up, screens close, extra words appear while typing...

It stands to reason, if there is a "switch" to make the screen MORE sensitive then you should also be able to decrease the sensitivity. Since I am rooted I will search through the system files. Hopefully it is a value that can be changed, a range from 1 - 10 or 0 - 255 as opposed to just zero or one.

I suppose what irks me more than anything is that I LOVED my S3 and I assumed I would love the S5 more, but not true. I am sorry I didn't wait for a phone that I could root AND Rom. The specs were/are great though

Reactions: Gwyddno

Blueesh

Oct 6, 2015
Solution and Observation please consider this

Same I am facing and heard bad words from parents n frnds cz of rejecting calls multiple times.
I guess final solution is
1.get Flipcover which I'd hate to get one or
2. wil not keep my screen face towards thighs while in pocket (but it may hurt screen if anything hit it accidently )
3. Request to samsung for update if we all do it. then they'll definitely provide solution

observations : those who saying put screenlock its fine but if u get a call , call pick or reject just pops up whether screen locked or not.

and when u put ur fon in pocket in jiffy it waits for 15 sec atleast to screen lock so in this 15 sec my thighs touch can open up any app in between n start troubling inside.

screenguard doesn't help either i have tried tampered glass as well.

Reactions: Gwyddno

Gwyddno

Dec 12, 2015
I am having a similar problem with the screen being too sensitive even without the extra sensitivity being selected (it would be unbearable with!) Being dyspraxic, it's even more of a problem.

I was fortunate that I could afford a rigid case for my phone when I bought it so when it goes in my pocket it's always protected and the screen is switched off. My problem is that I want it to be touch sensitive, not respond to fingers hovering above the screen.

I'd also like to add that "oh well mine is fine so yours must be faulty" is a really insulting way to answer OP's question. Talk about invalidating...

finndo

Sep 1, 2009
Frequently lose in games as my finger gets to close to the back button or an on screen game button and triggers it... Not had any calling/pocket issues once rooted, ROM'd, and finger print lock screened... Except when sensorly decided to start scanning and wakes the screen up while I am putting it in my pocket

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

FisterMike

Jan 16, 2016
I am in the same boat, I pocket dialed 911 4 times in a month with the pattern lock, since emergency call is still available. I think it is turning out to just be a junk phone with a bunch of bells and whistles, and a high price tag.

outamale

Nov 17, 2016
I am having the same problem and not finding a solution. I know this thread is old, but still I'm sure that there are people still wondering. Now mine has the same problem like said earlier, but there is one added thing too. It is VERY sensitive to any kind of moisture on my finger. The screen will freak out untill I lock it and wipe it off. Not that hard to do, but very annoying. But even if it'd very very close to dry, for example a little sweat on the finger tip, has the same effect as a much bigger volume of water. I did buy my phone off of Craigslist though so it could be something that happend with the previous owner that wasn't said to me when buying. So I take it that there are no solutions? I need the answer to be as simple as possible.

It is VERY sensitive to any kind of moisture

EDIT UPDATE SOLUTION READ SOMEWHERE: System > Languages and Input > Advanced > Pointer Speed > minimum

i also upgraded from a basically s3 with keyboard (Relay to s5 TMO) and am really missing having hardware keys so i could still easily type on qwerty. at least with that older phone, a quick swipe across the screen with my hand or against my clothes would get it to keep working.

phone has been kept in a bumper case, tested without case just to be sure, but even just flicking a bit of water onto the screen and using LOS 15 dev tool "pointer location" it is very easy to see the screen register all sorts of ghost motions while not touching it or even just tilting it around.

additionally, swiping the screen across clothes to get it to where most people would consider it to look basically dry enough, still has problems, which makes it completely useless outdoors in a frequently humid and lightly rainy city, and hazardous in case of emergency situation.

though it seems to do slightly better at not registering an additional ghost swipe if i just touch hold a spot a bit longer than a tap, so maybe just needs a sensitivity calibration or lowering option, which i've yet to find info about (and of course i've already tested with "increased sensitivity for gloves" toggled on and off, no difference from default off, and also have hovering off).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did you turn out that thing in settings that makes the screen more sensitive so that you can use it with gloves on?
    Try to add a pattern lock screen, it should prevent the phone from launching anything even if the screen wakes up.
    I registered just to post here. This has been driving me absolutely nuts. Every time I have a call when in the car and the phone is in my pocket (talking through bluetooth), if my leg so much as twitches I end up muting myself or hanging up. I went from an S3 to the S5. If I get a text while walking and I have music playing or something, any and every button available will be pressed. I have had random gibberish created on my calendar while walking (screen lock hadn't activated yet because I had just put it in my pocket).

ewokuk, any word on what you did? I have played around with as many settings as I can but nothing seems to do the trick. It's a nice phone, but unfortunately this one thing drives me up a wall

The lock screen is only one of the annoyances. If my fingers get too close while reading or stay a little too far while swiping the screen unexpected things happen: menus pop up, screens close, extra words appear while typing...

It stands to reason, if there is a "switch" to make the screen MORE sensitive then you should also be able to decrease the sensitivity. Since I am rooted I will search through the system files. Hopefully it is a value that can be changed, a range from 1 - 10 or 0 - 255 as opposed to just zero or one.

I suppose what irks me more than anything is that I LOVED my S3 and I assumed I would love the S5 more, but not true. I am sorry I didn't wait for a phone that I could root AND Rom. The specs were/are great though
    Solution and Observation please consider this

Same I am facing and heard bad words from parents n frnds cz of rejecting calls multiple times.
    I guess final solution is
    1.get Flipcover which I'd hate to get one or
    2. wil not keep my screen face towards thighs while in pocket (but it may hurt screen if anything hit it accidently )
    3. Request to samsung for update if we all do it. then they'll definitely provide solution

observations : those who saying put screenlock its fine but if u get a call , call pick or reject just pops up whether screen locked or not.

and when u put ur fon in pocket in jiffy it waits for 15 sec atleast to screen lock so in this 15 sec my thighs touch can open up any app in between n start troubling inside.

screenguard doesn't help either i have tried tampered glass as well.