One solution to Android Wifi "Error" or "Turning on..."

Search This thread

Cristobalmiguelo

Jan 23, 2011
Hello everyone,

I found the solution on another forum (GalaxyTDM's post) and I wanted to share it over here because it's a PITA.

Symptoms:
1. None of the wifi toggle buttons work to turn on wifi.
2. When examining the wifi settings, the status will show either "Error" or "Turning on..."
3. If it sits on "Turning on..." for any longer that 2 minutes, it will probably stay in that state.
4. If it changes to status of "Error," it may work after several times attempting to turn it back on from the settings screen.

Apparent cause:
1. Memory is low on the device. Examining the RAM Manager, one can see less than about 45MB free of memory. This apparently is preventing the wifi from starting. Either that, or there is some other program or setting that has crept in and needs to be killed.

I found this to be the case on my device, memory was hovering at about 40MB free and wifi was sitting on status "Turning on..."

Solution:
1. Go into the RAM Manager and do a level 1 clear of the memory. If that doesn't do it, do a level 2 clear.

After I did a level 2 clear, about 80MB of memory was freed and wifi immediately connected and I saw the icon on the status bar.

Hope this helps.

Android 2.2.1
Galaxy S

Best,
Christopher

Last edited:

c3cil

Aug 14, 2011
Cochin
Thanks Dude...

had same problem in my xperia x10 mini pro... running custom cm7 v16... nw okie.. :)

dirtyrob

Nov 1, 2010
Va Beach, Va
Same issue, but i have 370mb of internal mem avail.

(Sprint Htc Evo) I have tried the revolutionary meth. followed steps, manually flashed, due to boot loader stating that S-On, i have superuser app, retried with same problems, but anyways that's another problem I am working on solving.
I have had the WiFi Error problem since I first tried to root a few days ago, I am going to attempt to download and install ram manager via usb. But like i stated i have 370 mb of internal memory available. Any other ideas or solutions?

Qack

May 23, 2011
Raleigh
Yes!

I have a Galaxy S (T-Mobile Vibrant) running 2.2 and it worked for me. Memory was at 45 MB. I cleaned up about 20 MB and tried again. It worked. Thanks!

jono-bender

May 10, 2012
Taipei
Same problem GS2

:confused:
(Sprint Htc Evo) I have tried the revolutionary meth. followed steps, manually flashed, due to boot loader stating that S-On, i have superuser app, retried with same problems, but anyways that's another problem I am working on solving.
I have had the WiFi Error problem since I first tried to root a few days ago, I am going to attempt to download and install ram manager via usb. But like i stated i have 370 mb of internal memory available. Any other ideas or solutions?

Same issue, 700mb free on Galaxy S2. Have tried multiple ROM's incl. CM7 [2.3?],Slim [4.0.4],MIUI [4.0.3], all with the same problem. WIFI continuously says "Turning on....".

The only other 'USEFUL' piece of info I've found on this is a changing a mac address on a blade phone thread saying "data/misc/wifi folder you have a file called athSavedEeprom.bin" I have no such folder or file which may be a problem.

jasradg

Aug 20, 2012
coby kyros mid 7010 wiFi network connection problem

Dear All,

I'm new here. please advice me. i needed your help. i got coby kyros mid 7010, which was gifted to me by my brother. it is working fine. but the only problem is wifi connection. when i try connecting to a working wireless network connection, it keep on tying and then disconnecting. but the same connection is working with my laptop. please help me what to do....

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

jbonett

May 27, 2008
I usually click wifi off, wait for a couple of seconds and try again and that solves the problem.

dcstz

Oct 6, 2012
Is there any other way to fix WiFi error issues? I have a Vodafone Smart Tab 7 / ZTE 71A.
It was working fine with CM10 port, but then I tried to flash Paranoid Android Jellybean which failed to boot; so I rolled back to CM10 however it appears WiFi has stopped working.

It gets stuck on "turning on...", and would crash/reboot the tablet sometimes, or just give the "Error" message...

I have tried recovering back to standard and also flashing back to stock ROM however still no luck!

sprogurt

Jan 27, 2011
It normally gives that when it can't see the wireless card, first check if blue tooth works, the wireless and bluetooth are normally bundled together.

If it does work thenstart from fresh, wipe everything apart from the sd card and installed a recommended rom, fingers crossed that'll sort out any software issues.

I had this exact problem on my old DHD, the problem was I dropped it and the wifi antennas popped off.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

SwordfishCZ

Oct 14, 2012
Thanks Cristobalmiguelo, I had this problem on my old phone. Sometimes after long use of the phone I couldn't connect to wifi and as you wrote, it stayed forever on "Connecting". Restart always helped and in fact, that phone had only 256MB RAM and I always had hust around 30MB free.

m.hemric

Dec 18, 2012
also have wifi error

i have the same problem on an att samsung rugby smart since i installed updated kernel and when i go into wlan test it says noset driver loaded and everything fails on the status i wish i could redo my phone to out of box state

indraraito

Mar 20, 2013
Jakarta
i have the same problem with my samsung s2, it's showing error when access portable wifi hotspot, i have just wipe dalvik cache and wipe cache partition but it doesn't work, any idea please ? :crying:

Agent_fabulous

Recognized Developer
Apr 24, 2014
Bangalore
Kernel Issue?

I believe this can be a kernel issue as well. I just came across this issue after flashing a new kernel. Flashed old kernel. All seems fine. :)

Reactions: Festbawi

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,

I found the solution on another forum (GalaxyTDM's post) and I wanted to share it over here because it's a PITA.

Symptoms:
    1. None of the wifi toggle buttons work to turn on wifi.
    2. When examining the wifi settings, the status will show either "Error" or "Turning on..."
    3. If it sits on "Turning on..." for any longer that 2 minutes, it will probably stay in that state.
    4. If it changes to status of "Error," it may work after several times attempting to turn it back on from the settings screen.

Apparent cause:
    1. Memory is low on the device. Examining the RAM Manager, one can see less than about 45MB free of memory. This apparently is preventing the wifi from starting. Either that, or there is some other program or setting that has crept in and needs to be killed.

I found this to be the case on my device, memory was hovering at about 40MB free and wifi was sitting on status "Turning on..."

Solution:
    1. Go into the RAM Manager and do a level 1 clear of the memory. If that doesn't do it, do a level 2 clear.

After I did a level 2 clear, about 80MB of memory was freed and wifi immediately connected and I saw the icon on the status bar.

Hope this helps.

Android 2.2.1
    Galaxy S

Best,
    Christopher
    Hi guys.

Ik don't own a SII, so IDK if this works for you also.

Open your dialer and type *#*#526#*#*

Your phone will go into Engineering Mode and reload the driver.

Apologies if this is old news, but it does the trick for me !
    Kernel Issue?

I believe this can be a kernel issue as well. I just came across this issue after flashing a new kernel. Flashed old kernel. All seems fine. :)