Tylt Vu vs. Google Nexus Wireless Charger

Search This thread

moomingstarz

Apr 21, 2012
So I got both of these for Christmas but it's a little overboard to keep them both so I'll be sending one back.
I haven't really found anything comparing the two. Does anyone have both? Or have seen both?

Which would you prefer and why?

:angel:​

gbarayah

Dec 2, 2009
California
So I got both of these for Christmas but it's a little overboard to keep them both so I'll be sending one back.
I haven't really found anything comparing the two. Does anyone have both? Or have seen both?

If you check out the forum there are people who express concerns about the TYLT causing the N5 to overheat. Based on that alone, I would go with the Nexus Charger.

I have an N4 Wireless orb that I use with my N5 and it works great.

Reactions: moomingstarz

moomingstarz

Apr 21, 2012
If you check out the forum there are people who express concerns about the TYLT causing the N5 to overheat. Based on that alone, I would go with the Nexus Charger.

I did but (if I am correct), people who experienced the overheating used daydream. Fortunately, I don't use daydream so both are still options. Thank you for your input though! :good:

Edit: Actually found another thread. I may take that into consideration. Thank you!

Last edited:

STXInnovation

May 19, 2013
I did but (if I am correct), people who experienced the overheating used daydream. Fortunately, I don't use daydream so both are still options. Thank you for your input though! :good:

Edit: Actually found another thread. I may take that into consideration. Thank you!

I bought the Tylt Vu for $35 with a promo code, but haven't received it yet. I was also worried about the overheating issues, but for the most part, the negative reviews may be just confirmation bias on my part when looking for reasons not to buy something.

Anyone else have issues with the Vu?

moomingstarz

Apr 21, 2012
I bought the Tylt Vu for $35 with a promo code, but haven't received it yet. I was also worried about the overheating issues, but for the most part, the negative reviews may be just confirmation bias on my part when looking for reasons not to buy something.

Anyone else have issues with the Vu?

I received the Google Nexus charger yesterday and the Tylt Vu is coming in tomorrow. I read the thread in depth, and apparently the company has found the issue and is working on a fix? I'm a little hesitant to keep it but like you, would love more information about the tylt vu!

STXInnovation

May 19, 2013
I received the Google Nexus charger yesterday and the Tylt Vu is coming in tomorrow. I read the thread in depth, and apparently the company has found the issue and is working on a fix? I'm a little hesitant to keep it but like you, would love more information about the tylt vu!

Let me know how it works. I got the red one, in case that matters.

frigidazzi

Apr 21, 2011
Nexus Player
OnePlus 5
I've had the vu for several months (got it from kick starter). Used it with nexus 4 and now nexus 5. I have no over heating issues. It gets no warmer than my other 3 qi chargers (energizer, lg puck, and generic). Granted I don't have the official n5 charger, but I would take the vu because it's a stand and I love that.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

elementaldragon

Feb 21, 2011
I've had the vu for several months (got it from kick starter). Used it with nexus 4 and now nexus 5. I have no over heating issues. It gets no warmer than my other 3 qi chargers (energizer, lg puck, and generic). Granted I don't have the official n5 charger, but I would take the vu because it's a stand and I love that.

Does the Vu actually charge the phone whether in portrait or landscape sitting on the charger? Cause last i remember, they advertised that in the promo video, but looking closely at the promo video showed the phone NOT charging in landscape orientation.

frigidazzi

Apr 21, 2011
Nexus Player
OnePlus 5
Does the Vu actually charge the phone whether in portrait or landscape sitting on the charger? Cause last i remember, they advertised that in the promo video, but looking closely at the promo video showed the phone NOT charging in landscape orientation.

Yeah mine charge fine in either orientation. Some times I watch video on it in landscape. But I usually have it in portrait.

IcOpRo

Nov 30, 2007
Cape Coral
I also have the TYLT VU and have no issues with it, my Nexus 5 or my Nexus 7 charge without any overheating issues..

_MetalHead_

Jun 30, 2010
Portland
Do you use a case with your Nexus? If so, does that interfere with the induction charging?

I use the diztronic tpu case and it works just fine with my TYLT. No overheating issues either.

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

Where did you read that? Source?

kpjimmy

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio TX
Nothing Phone 1
Google Pixel 7

I have the Tylt Vu, the new Nexus Charger, the Orb, the LG (Verizon branded) pad, and the Energizer pad.

I have had the Tylt Vu even before the Kickstarter finished lol. It just showed up at my office one day. I got it for my Nexus 4. Worked fantastically until I tried putting Kit Kat on the N4. I had heating issues and I believe due to wakelocks, but that's not proven. I stopped using it because it kept waking the phone up at night and that bugged the living bejezzus out of me and changed it out for the LG pad until a fix for my waking issues on the N4. Then when the N5 was introduced, it was a no brainer and I bought that one to replace my N4. I gave the LG pad and N4 to my wife and now using the Tylt at home for my everynight charging and no waking in the middle of the night.

I use the new Nexus Wireless charger in the car in conjunction with a vent mount. And because I use a bumper, the magnets grab without issues. I tried my set up with a tpu case and also the Ringke Fusion and neither would stick.

Now I am waiting for my early bird Air dock from indiegogo and seeing if that works better than my diy setup lol.

moomingstarz

Apr 21, 2012
Let me know how it works. I got the red one, in case that matters.

So I used it and it does get noticeably warm. I haven't experienced it getting hot yet though. The official charger gets my nexus 5 temperature to around 25.5 degrees celcius and the tylt gets my phone to around 37 degrees celcius. I'm not totally sure which one I want to keep yet. :rolleyes:

STXInnovation

May 19, 2013
So I used it and it does get noticeably warm. I haven't experienced it getting hot yet though. The official charger gets my nexus 5 temperature to around 25.5 degrees celcius and the tylt gets my phone to around 37 degrees celcius. I'm not totally sure which one I want to keep yet. :rolleyes:

I don't think that's too abnormal. My phone idles at 30 degrees and charges at 40-45 via USB.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Got the new nexus wireless charger works great,fast, and got magnets so that it will align easily.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    I'm currently using it. I really like it although the magnets aren't as strong because I have the spigen slim armour on it

Worked great with nexus 5 official bumper

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I have the Tylt Vu, the new Nexus Charger, the Orb, the LG (Verizon branded) pad, and the Energizer pad.

I have had the Tylt Vu even before the Kickstarter finished lol. It just showed up at my office one day. I got it for my Nexus 4. Worked fantastically until I tried putting Kit Kat on the N4. I had heating issues and I believe due to wakelocks, but that's not proven. I stopped using it because it kept waking the phone up at night and that bugged the living bejezzus out of me and changed it out for the LG pad until a fix for my waking issues on the N4. Then when the N5 was introduced, it was a no brainer and I bought that one to replace my N4. I gave the LG pad and N4 to my wife and now using the Tylt at home for my everynight charging and no waking in the middle of the night.

I use the new Nexus Wireless charger in the car in conjunction with a vent mount. And because I use a bumper, the magnets grab without issues. I tried my set up with a tpu case and also the Ringke Fusion and neither would stick.

Now I am waiting for my early bird Air dock from indiegogo and seeing if that works better than my diy setup lol.