App to turn off screen WITHOUT locking?

Search This thread

in_dmand

Dec 1, 2010
Greenville, SC
I have looked all over and can't find anything on this... I simply want the app/widget to turn the screen off the way the power button would and let the system defaults take over from there as far as locking.

Mazgula

Dec 18, 2013
Thanks a ton! man... i seriously tried like 15 of these kind of apps and this is the only one that worked. I had not tried it before due to the chinese writing in it and thinking it would be that good. It works great though... doesn't lock the screen!

I'm curious... With the knock-knock feature, why do you need this? If you're at your homescreen to press a widget, presumably you can knock-knock to turn the screen off too? Actually I think knock knock on the status bar anywhere and the screen turns off...

Is it because your knock-knock locks the screen? Because that can be disabled as well.

trickster2369

Feb 15, 2011
SD
I'm curious... With the knock-knock feature, why do you need this? If you're at your homescreen to press a widget, presumably you can knock-knock to turn the screen off too? Actually I think knock knock on the status bar anywhere and the screen turns off...

Is it because your knock-knock locks the screen? Because that can be disabled as well.

When using a different launcher such as Nova, or to place it in a widget.

Thanks Devs, from my LG G2

hookinafish

May 4, 2011
I use nova gestures to set double tap and link to the app you just downloaded to turn screen off. I believe nova prime is required for this to work but don't quote me on that.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Nov 2, 2008
Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I'm trying to achieve the same thing using nova but the app you've suggested seems to automatically lock my phone too!!

I just want to do as the op said, turn off the screen without affecting the lock settings or locking the phone there and then.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or alternatives?

Maybe the app has changed since this thread was started?

Haxcid

Jul 16, 2010
Ventura
Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I'm trying to achieve the same thing using nova but the app you've suggested seems to automatically lock my phone too!!

I just want to do as the op said, turn off the screen without affecting the lock settings or locking the phone there and then.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or alternatives?

Maybe the app has changed since this thread was started?

Why not just turn off the lock part of the lock screen.

2014-07-07-09-44-56.jpg

Nov 2, 2008
Why not just turn off the lock part of the lock screen.

2014-07-07-09-44-56.jpg

Main reason being that i still want to keep the lock code... i just dont want to have to keep inputting it everytime i need my phone. Often, i'm having a convo and will be answering messages and will literally pick up/put down my phone 5 times a minute so i'd like to employ the time system default lock delay.

Any other ideas? ::cowboy:

530elf13

Jan 3, 2011
Main reason being that i still want to keep the lock code... i just dont want to have to keep inputting it everytime i need my phone. Often, i'm having a convo and will be answering messages and will literally pick up/put down my phone 5 times a minute so i'd like to employ the time system default lock delay.

Any other ideas? ::cowboy:

I'm in the same situation with my G3, did you ever find a solution?

jenda.69

Nov 23, 2007
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
I'm in the same situation with my G3, did you ever find a solution?
Try setting up Lock timer and unchecking power button locks instantly in lock screen settings (I don't know exact translations, sorry).
I have timer set to 30 seconds so if I turn screen off and immediately recall I wanted to do something, screen is not locked yet.
These settings should be available on every Android device, I was using it even on my old Nexus S. I only noticed on G2 that if I'm using knock code, screen can't be turned back on using simple double tap even within timer interval and I have to use knock code. But power button asks for code only after timer interval. :)

Last edited:

dumbledore78

Mar 29, 2013
Smart Unlock

Hey. Sounds like you need the app 'Smart Unlock' from the Play Store. It's been developed by some off the top guys from XDA.

It works by turning off the need to enter the lock screen pin/pattern when you're connected to a safe or known Wi-Fi network or Bluetooth device.

For example when you're at home just tell smart unlock that it can trust your WiFi network and BAM! Never need to enter the unlock pin again once connected to that network. It will bypass it completely and just present you with your home screen. Sounds exactly what you're looking for ?

Reactions: drynyks

drynyks

Mar 4, 2010
Hey. Sounds like you need the app 'Smart Unlock' from the Play Store. It's been developed by some off the top guys from XDA.

It works by turning off the need to enter the lock screen pin/pattern when you're connected to a safe or known Wi-Fi network or Bluetooth device.

For example when you're at home just tell smart unlock that it can trust your WiFi network and BAM! Never need to enter the unlock pin again once connected to that network. It will bypass it completely and just present you with your home screen. Sounds exactly what you're looking for ?

Thanks just bought it

Reactions: dumbledore78

andydumi

Feb 7, 2011
Nashville

It's not quite the same either. Because it still requires you to be connected to a wifi network or bt device and it does not work on the go, but more of a area based situation.

I am also still looking for an app that can turn off screen without locking the device, essentially mimicking the power button entirely. I want to leave in place the locking ability of the OS after 15 seconds-30 minutes.

vpraveenis

Jun 25, 2010
I am looking for the same functionality. Every app I tried manages to go and lock the screen when it turns off. I was using CM roms for a while where we can add a shortcut that puts the display to sleep without changing the lock settings. This mimics the power button behavior. So far no luck with finding an equivalent app from play store

The G Dept.

Jul 25, 2014
Pointe-du-Lac
It's hard to believe that an app that does such a simple thing as turning off the screen can't be found.
I have tried a dozen apps and they all turn off the screen AND lock. I'm looking for an app that does just what the op said; turn off the screen and follow android's lock settings (lock delay, etc).

We're almost there with the app that Sepero suggested, but the screen takes a second or two to shut off because there' is an animation you have to choose from. You can't just straight shut off the screen.

BusinessSausage

Sep 24, 2014
We're almost there with the app that Sepero suggested, but the screen takes a second or two to shut off because there' is an animation you have to choose from. You can't just straight shut off the screen.

I found workaround, working good for me. But you'll need Tasker and root for this:
— create task with action "Run Shell",
— insert command "input keyevent 26" and set checkbox "Use Root"
This command emulate a power button press.

It works good, but not too fast for me (it have about 0.5-1 sec delay), so I add vibration and screen dimming for immediate reaction.
Here is description of this task:
A1: Vibrate [ Time:60 ]
A2: Variable Set [ Name:%prev_brightness To:%BRIGHT ]
A3: Display Brightness [ Level:0 ]
A4: Run Shell [ Command:input keyevent 26 ]
A5: Display Brightness [ Level:%prev_brightness ]

I can export this task in standalone apk, if somebody need it.

Last edited:

The G Dept.

Jul 25, 2014
Pointe-du-Lac
Ahhh brilliant! Thanks BusinessSausage.
I have already bought Tasker a while ago on my S5 but never used it. I knew it would come in handy one day. Works perfectly on my S6, without the delay you've mentionned. Simply using "input keyevent 26" turns the screen off right away and doesn't lock it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Smart Unlock

Thanks just bought it
    I found this: "Screen Off" by an awesome developer Konreu. Please remember to send him thanks and 5 star ratings.
    http://android.konreu.com/applications/screen-off/
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.konreu.android.screenoff

It mimics the power button almost exactly without requiring root. Because of Android limitations, it takes about a second for the screen to go off.
    Hey guys,

I was having the same issue with the device also locking if I had used a gesture (double tap in nova launcher with the Screen Off and Lock app) to turn the screen off. Smart lock would only work if I had used the power button. However, I just stumbled on this obscure looking app that is able to mimick the power-button, which has fixed the issue for me. ROOT is needed for this!

Here what you need to do:
    Download an app called Power Button from the Play Store (I can't post the link, but it's by Torcellite) and open it.
    In the quick setup grant it superuser rights and in the next step let it automatically map your power-button. That is all, and you can close the app now.

When you choose a gesture, make sure you assign it to the Screen Off shortcut and not the app itself (in nova this is the most right tab).
    Final note: if you have the Power Button app opened (as a window in the background), using the gesture will bring it to the foreground and it will show up when you 'unlock' your screen the next time. But fortunately there is no need to ever open the app again after the initial setup, so don't worry about this.