Push Samsung to release Exynos Source Code! [Update 25.11.13]

Will Samsung loose you as a customer if they don`t release the Source Code?

• Total voters
Search This thread

Scarface1991

Jul 30, 2011
EDIT 25.11.13

The experimental Build with the new exynos sources works fine on the S3 and improves on graphics related stuff. There are some things that are broken but I hope those issues can be ironed out.

In collaboration with geecko, here's a test build with the updated graphics stuff.
======== Don't expect it to be working 100% correctly that's not the goal. This build is exclusively to get your feedback on graphics and overall performance of the ROM. It is known that Camera and video playback might be both broken partially in this build.

It basically enables us to use hardware overlays, which means that the GPU has less work to do because all the compositing work is managed by fimd. Better performance (butter), lower power consumption. :good:

If someone wants to try it out, it can be downloaded here (FOR S3 I9300 ONLY):

http://dl.omnirom.org/omni-4.4-20131119-i9300-EXPERIMENTAL-GRAPHICS.zip

EDIT 19.11.13

Samsung dropped an insignal Update for the Exynos 4412 devices which can be used with AOSP. It's hard to implement but thanks to the brilliant developers at XDA there is hope. Check this out from the Omni Thread:

I found those 2 interesting commits:

https://gerrit.omnirom.org/#/c/2431/

https://gerrit.omnirom.org/#/c/2436/

What's with the insignal exynos4 update? Does it actually do any good? (I would be very surprised if Samsung would actually do something positive for the developer community ^^)

And also will the second commit when implemented enable tv-out on the I9100? Will this be usable on other Exynos devices especially the I9300?

I have been too busy with other stuff to mess with them. In theory - actual working hwcomposer and maybe TV-out. More than 6 months after when they promised, Insignal finally dropped an update, but it proved extremely difficult to integrate at that time plus none of the "old" crew had much motivation to mess with it. Clement seems to have gained motivation and has done some great stuff so far. :)

The initial Insignal drop was actually for Exynos 4412 devices. 4412 and 4210 are nearly identical, main differences are regarding JPEG compression and the camera interfaces.

GeeckoDev:

Ok, so now hwcomposer isn't complaining anymore. Screen is completely black now because fences are timing out (surfaces are ready to be displayed when the fence is firing). dmesg is full of derp, looks like Mali driver is complaining. That's another progress... getting closer ;)

EDIT: sent a mail to three samsung developers.. who knows

EDIT2: xplodwild should release a test build for i9300 users tomorrow.

The Test build is going to be for the I9300 but since the S2 has an almost identical SoC it's not far behind if everything works out for the I9300. It's great news and that's what we need :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before 2013:

EDIT
Until now there was a lot of talk from Samsung but everything they released so far is useless for AOSP. They promised full availability of Exynos Source Code by the end of 2012. Let`s see if this time they can keep their promise or if it will be just talk like in the past with the eMMC Super-Brick issue.

25/10/2012 Samsung Exynos Tweets:

Yes, we are opening up HAL source code for the platform, which includes HWC, camera, gralloc, audio and light.

Developers: Expect full availability of integrated source code for #Exynos 4 family of processors on OrigenBoard by the end of 2012!
https://twitter.com/SamsungExynos/status/261482746101235712

Git server access will also be available to the public in Nov. 2012
https://twitter.com/SamsungExynos/status/261483932925689856

Now let`s hope they really mean it and that they don`t open up something useless...
Nevertheless I`m glad that we accomplished something.

Samsung presentation at the Big Android BBQ:

exynos1.jpg

A5wYC9ECEAAJLGU.jpg

chainfire tweets:

It seems Samsung is saying there will be sourcecode for the needed Exynos parts... I'm not sure it's everything TeamHacksung needs, ...

... but I'm sure they'll let us know. It all sounds very promising though. First stuff should be seen in weeks, complete before 2013.

Complete Samsung Developers Session:

This thread is the equivalent to the one in the SIII Forums and not my idea. AntonLiv92 started the thread to inform people where they can write personal concerns to Samsung, so they will release the source code and proper documentation for Exynos based devices and as you probably all know our SII is based on Samsung`s Exynos 4210 processor.

This thread will inform you people where to contact Samsung, so that we get their attention or as codeworkx said:

Originally Posted by codeworkx
If they don't know that there are a lot of users out who are pissed because of the bad exynos support, then they'll not change anything.
If 10 users are crying -> just 10 users, ignore them.
If 1000 users are crying -> ok, let's think a few minutes about it.
If 100.000 users are crying -> holy ****, we have to do something

If you stop crying, they'll stop paying attention and you've achieved nothing like in the past.

So our goal is to get Samsung`s attention by writing as many concerns as possible of missing source code to Samsung. Of course it`s also important what you write, so it`s not just a big noob campaign asking for the Source Code. Codeworkx made a list of what is needed:

- git repos
- commit history
- release patches if ready as single commits and not as big messed up tarballs
- up2date reference code for their video interfaces
- up2date reference camera hal to work with these interfaces
- up2date reference audio hal
- up2date reference hardwarecomposer
- patches needed for android framework (platform support)
- gralloc if possible
- maybe hdmi?
- maybe fmradio?

You can find a done letter that you can copy and paste more down below.

Main Petition thread in the SIII Forums created by AntonLiv92:
[MISSION] Let's get some Exynos sources! - xda-developers

There is also a thread in the Galaxy Note N7000 section as well now created by androidindian:
[IMPORTANT] Make Samsung release "Exynos" sources! - xda-developers

Galaxy Note II:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=32684117#post32684117

And the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-I777 section as well:
Samsung Exynos Movement(POLL ADDED) - xda-developers

German Thread regarding this issue:
http://www.android-hilfe.de/samsung...moegliche-freigabe-der-exynos-quellcodes.html

Thread on Androidforums:
http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...1098-push-samsung-release-exynos-sources.html

Facebook group "Polite request to Samsung to release Exynos source code":
https://www.facebook.com/ExynosSourceCode

So yes we are serious about this!

HOW TO CONTACT SAMSUNG?

Via Twitter: https://twitter.com/SamsungExynos
https://twitter.com/samsungmobile

Via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SamsungMobile

Via Google+: https://plus.google.com/+SamsungMobile

You can write a personal letter regarding the release of the source code to:
http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=inquiry

If you don`t have time for writing a big letter, this is a already written one that you can copy and paste:

Requester: Enter your name.

ID (E-mail): Enter your email address.

Inquiry Type: Select "Request for Source Codes".

Model: Enter "Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II".

Dear Samsung,

without a doubt you build the best phones on the market and I really enjoy using the Galaxy SII I9100 but there is a problem. A lot of people like to use mods like the popular CyanogenMod on your flagship
devices. Without the source code and proper documentation great developers like codeworkx who is a device maintainer for Samsung phones at XDA-Developers.com start to turn their back on Samsung
phones like the Galaxy SIII because they are based on the Exynos processor due to the fact that there is a lack of source code and proper documentation. Since developers are the lifeblood of Android it`s
not a good sign to see them leave to other companies who provide proper source code and documentation. Qualcomm and Texas Instruments understand that and they released their source code and
developers are using it to do great things.

With this letter I ask you to release Source code and proper documentation for the Exynos 4210 and the Exynos 4412 and in the best case it should include the following:

- git repos
- commit history
- gralloc if possible
- maybe hdmi?
- maybe fmradio?

Thank you for your great phones and I really hope that you will release the above stated things.

Responses from Twitter @samsungExynos

CM10.png

CM.png

Screen%20Shot%202012-10-12%20at%207.45.09%20PM.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

There are other signs that this might go somewhere, since this concern is reported now on several popular Android-blogs like Androidcentral and sites like XDA Developers, which will lead to even bigger popularity on this issue.

They also contacted the CM team:
Seems you got korea's attention because of the "flooding" the community is currently doing via opensource.samsung.com. twitter, facebook and so on. They contacted us and we told them again what the community wants to have.

You know that bad press for samsung is our most effective weapon to make things changing.
So if you want to make samsung to continue paying attention, you know what to do...
Fight till you got what you want to have.

XDA:
Samsung Aware of Exynos Documentation Issue – xda-developers

Androidcentral:
Samsung 'hears' Exynos community documentation concerns | Android Central

Sammobile:
Samsung Listens To Developer Concerns Over Missing Exynos Docs | SamMobile

Androidauthority:
Samsung acknowledges lack of documentation for Exynos SoC

Androidpit:
Exynos-Affäre: Entwickler setzen Samsung unter Druck - AndroidPIT

Sammyhub:
Samsung Investigating Exynos Documentation Issue - Sammy Hub

Tech-Gadget:
Samsung ‘hears’ Exynos community documentation concerns | Tech Gadget

Other links in the SIII thread.

Here is also a great video that summarizes this whole mess about Samsung and Exynos:

It is also recommended to tip popular news-blogs like Engadget or the Verge, so maybe they write about us and what we try to accomplish.

I thought that this thread might be a good idea, since we have one of the biggest userbases on the Android-platform.

Now you guys know what to do ;)

Big thanks to AntonLiv92 for letting me use the contact links in my thread :)

Last edited:

GalaxyGusta

Feb 11, 2012
Post this on the development section as well because I think it's the most visited one

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

Scarface1991

Jul 30, 2011
Post this on the development section as well because I think it's the most visited one

I think that this is not such a good idea because this thread has nothing to do with development directly, that`s why I posted it in the general section, which is also visited quite well I would say because of the CM10 thread etc.

karendar

Aug 9, 2010
Montreal
How about you guys propose this as news for xda and spread the news on android news sites? And tech sites...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Scarface1991

Jul 30, 2011
Actually that's what I'm afraid of, that they release the source code only for the SIII Exynos and not for the SII. But until now they haven't released anything of course but let's see, maybe if enough people cry then they hopefully will release something.

androidindian

Nov 16, 2010
New Delhi
Actually that's what I'm afraid of, that they release the source code only for the SIII Exynos and not for the SII. But until now they haven't released anything of course but let's see, maybe if enough people cry then they hopefully will release something.

both the s3 and s2 use exynos 4.. so it should be fine i guess with the documentation. but let them say a yes.. they usually just keeps the hopes high and say no later. need to push them more!!

A

asasione

From Entropy's post in the CM10 thread they changed too many things between S3 Exynos and the S2 for it to be useful. Let's hope they release source code for both. Scarface you should make a thread in the I777 and N7000 general sections since they use the same chips and will be affected by this news or eventual developments, I'm a I777 user and only use my own ported i9100 ROMS

skiflyer

Jul 16, 2011
good idea :good:

maybe we will reach it also when we ask about the camera firmware?

Scarface1991

Jul 30, 2011
Just send this letter to: http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=inquiry

Dear Samsung,

without a doubt you build the best phones on the market and I really enjoy using the Galaxy SII I9100 but there is a problem. A lot of people like to use mods like the popular CyanogenMod on your flagship
devices. Without the source code and proper documentation great developers like codeworkx who is a device maintainer for Samsung phones at XDA-Developers.com start to turn their back on Samsung
phones like the Galaxy SIII because they are based on the Exynos processor due to the fact that there is a lack of source code and proper documentation. Since developers are the lifeblood of Android it`s
not a good sign to see them leave to other companies who provide proper source code and documentation. Qualcomm and Texas Instruments understand that and they released their source code and

With this letter I ask you to release Source code and proper documentation for the Exynos 4210 and the Exynos 4412 and in the best case it should include the following:

- git repos
- commit history
- gralloc if possible
- maybe hdmi?
- maybe fmradio?

Thank you for your great phones and I really hope that you will release the above stated things.

Scarface1991

Jul 30, 2011
From Entropy's post in the CM10 thread they changed too many things between S3 Exynos and the S2 for it to be useful. Let's hope they release source code for both. Scarface you should make a thread in the I777 and N7000 general sections since they use the same chips and will be affected by this news or eventual developments, I'm a I777 user and only use my own ported i9100 ROMS

Already done by other members:)

I777:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1929357

Note N7000:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=32622901#post32622901

androidindian

Nov 16, 2010
New Delhi

Bro I've written to some major blogs like engadget verge gsmarena.. Would be lovely if you would recommend tip them as well..The more we write to them they will do a feature writeup on this.. If the major blogs write about this the impact would be larger..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Scarface1991

Jul 30, 2011
Bro I've written to some major blogs like engadget verge gsmarena.. Would be lovely if you would recommend tip them as well..The more we write to them they will do a feature writeup on this.. If the major blogs write about this the impact would be larger..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Yeah I`ve wrote Engadget already about that. Will do as well on other popular blogs. Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT 25.11.13

The experimental Build with the new exynos sources works fine on the S3 and improves on graphics related stuff. There are some things that are broken but I hope those issues can be ironed out.

In collaboration with geecko, here's a test build with the updated graphics stuff.
    ======== Don't expect it to be working 100% correctly that's not the goal. This build is exclusively to get your feedback on graphics and overall performance of the ROM. It is known that Camera and video playback might be both broken partially in this build.

It basically enables us to use hardware overlays, which means that the GPU has less work to do because all the compositing work is managed by fimd. Better performance (butter), lower power consumption. :good:

If someone wants to try it out, it can be downloaded here (FOR S3 I9300 ONLY):

http://dl.omnirom.org/omni-4.4-20131119-i9300-EXPERIMENTAL-GRAPHICS.zip

EDIT 19.11.13

Samsung dropped an insignal Update for the Exynos 4412 devices which can be used with AOSP. It's hard to implement but thanks to the brilliant developers at XDA there is hope. Check this out from the Omni Thread:

What's with the insignal exynos4 update? Does it actually do any good? (I would be very surprised if Samsung would actually do something positive for the developer community ^^)

And also will the second commit when implemented enable tv-out on the I9100? Will this be usable on other Exynos devices especially the I9300?

I have been too busy with other stuff to mess with them. In theory - actual working hwcomposer and maybe TV-out. More than 6 months after when they promised, Insignal finally dropped an update, but it proved extremely difficult to integrate at that time plus none of the "old" crew had much motivation to mess with it. Clement seems to have gained motivation and has done some great stuff so far. :)

The initial Insignal drop was actually for Exynos 4412 devices. 4412 and 4210 are nearly identical, main differences are regarding JPEG compression and the camera interfaces.

GeeckoDev:

Ok, so now hwcomposer isn't complaining anymore. Screen is completely black now because fences are timing out (surfaces are ready to be displayed when the fence is firing). dmesg is full of derp, looks like Mali driver is complaining. That's another progress... getting closer ;)

The Test build is going to be for the I9300 but since the S2 has an almost identical SoC it's not far behind if everything works out for the I9300. It's great news and that's what we need :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before 2013:

EDIT
    Until now there was a lot of talk from Samsung but everything they released so far is useless for AOSP. They promised full availability of Exynos Source Code by the end of 2012. Let`s see if this time they can keep their promise or if it will be just talk like in the past with the eMMC Super-Brick issue.

25/10/2012 Samsung Exynos Tweets:

Yes, we are opening up HAL source code for the platform, which includes HWC, camera, gralloc, audio and light.

Developers: Expect full availability of integrated source code for #Exynos 4 family of processors on OrigenBoard by the end of 2012!
    https://twitter.com/SamsungExynos/status/261482746101235712

Git server access will also be available to the public in Nov. 2012
    https://twitter.com/SamsungExynos/status/261483932925689856

Now let`s hope they really mean it and that they don`t open up something useless...
    Nevertheless I`m glad that we accomplished something.

Samsung presentation at the Big Android BBQ:

exynos1.jpg

A5wYC9ECEAAJLGU.jpg

chainfire tweets:

It seems Samsung is saying there will be sourcecode for the needed Exynos parts... I'm not sure it's everything TeamHacksung needs, ...

... but I'm sure they'll let us know. It all sounds very promising though. First stuff should be seen in weeks, complete before 2013.

Complete Samsung Developers Session:

This thread is the equivalent to the one in the SIII Forums and not my idea. AntonLiv92 started the thread to inform people where they can write personal concerns to Samsung, so they will release the source code and proper documentation for Exynos based devices and as you probably all know our SII is based on Samsung`s Exynos 4210 processor.

This thread will inform you people where to contact Samsung, so that we get their attention or as codeworkx said:

If they don't know that there are a lot of users out who are pissed because of the bad exynos support, then they'll not change anything.
    If 10 users are crying -> just 10 users, ignore them.
    If 1000 users are crying -> ok, let's think a few minutes about it.
    If 100.000 users are crying -> holy ****, we have to do something

If you stop crying, they'll stop paying attention and you've achieved nothing like in the past.

So our goal is to get Samsung`s attention by writing as many concerns as possible of missing source code to Samsung. Of course it`s also important what you write, so it`s not just a big noob campaign asking for the Source Code. Codeworkx made a list of what is needed:

- git repos
    - commit history
    - gralloc if possible
    - maybe hdmi?
    - maybe fmradio?

You can find a done letter that you can copy and paste more down below.

Main Petition thread in the SIII Forums created by AntonLiv92:
    [MISSION] Let's get some Exynos sources! - xda-developers

There is also a thread in the Galaxy Note N7000 section as well now created by androidindian:
    [IMPORTANT] Make Samsung release "Exynos" sources! - xda-developers

Galaxy Note II:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=32684117#post32684117

And the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-I777 section as well:
    Samsung Exynos Movement(POLL ADDED) - xda-developers

German Thread regarding this issue:
    http://www.android-hilfe.de/samsung...moegliche-freigabe-der-exynos-quellcodes.html

Thread on Androidforums:
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...1098-push-samsung-release-exynos-sources.html

Facebook group "Polite request to Samsung to release Exynos source code":
    https://www.facebook.com/ExynosSourceCode

So yes we are serious about this!

HOW TO CONTACT SAMSUNG?

Via Twitter: https://twitter.com/SamsungExynos
    https://twitter.com/samsungmobile

Via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SamsungMobile

Via Google+: https://plus.google.com/+SamsungMobile

You can write a personal letter regarding the release of the source code to:
    http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=inquiry

If you don`t have time for writing a big letter, this is a already written one that you can copy and paste:

Requester: Enter your name.

ID (E-mail): Enter your email address.

Inquiry Type: Select "Request for Source Codes".

Model: Enter "Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II".

Dear Samsung,

- git repos
    - commit history
    - gralloc if possible
    - maybe hdmi?
    - maybe fmradio?

Responses from Twitter @samsungExynos

CM10.png

CM.png

Screen%20Shot%202012-10-12%20at%207.45.09%20PM.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

There are other signs that this might go somewhere, since this concern is reported now on several popular Android-blogs like Androidcentral and sites like XDA Developers, which will lead to even bigger popularity on this issue.

They also contacted the CM team:
    Seems you got korea's attention because of the "flooding" the community is currently doing via opensource.samsung.com. twitter, facebook and so on. They contacted us and we told them again what the community wants to have.

You know that bad press for samsung is our most effective weapon to make things changing.
    So if you want to make samsung to continue paying attention, you know what to do...
    Fight till you got what you want to have.

XDA:
    Samsung Aware of Exynos Documentation Issue – xda-developers

Androidcentral:
    Samsung 'hears' Exynos community documentation concerns | Android Central

Sammobile:
    Samsung Listens To Developer Concerns Over Missing Exynos Docs | SamMobile

Androidauthority:
    Samsung acknowledges lack of documentation for Exynos SoC

Androidpit:
    Exynos-Affäre: Entwickler setzen Samsung unter Druck - AndroidPIT

Sammyhub:
    Samsung Investigating Exynos Documentation Issue - Sammy Hub

Tech-Gadget:
    Samsung ‘hears’ Exynos community documentation concerns | Tech Gadget

Other links in the SIII thread.

Here is also a great video that summarizes this whole mess about Samsung and Exynos:

It is also recommended to tip popular news-blogs like Engadget or the Verge, so maybe they write about us and what we try to accomplish.

I thought that this thread might be a good idea, since we have one of the biggest userbases on the Android-platform.

Now you guys know what to do ;)

Big thanks to AntonLiv92 for letting me use the contact links in my thread :)
    I should have some time to work on it now :good:
    I didn't thought that I would ever update this thread after Samsung screwed us yet again but there is hope now. Samsung released an Insignal update of their Exynos Sources and it is something that devs can actually use with AOSP although it is really hard to implement. What good comes from it? If everything goes well, a working hw-composer and even tv-out.

GeeckoDev:

pfft, @GeeckoDev is just another frenchie... :p

I'm trying to teach a lesson to these old apes that thought that exynos was dead. :laugh:
    I don't have the link right now for the insignal stuff but on the first post you can see the commits used in the Omni experimental build. Many Users said it improved graphic related performance stuff (like UI scrolling, 2D, 3D) noticeably.

Getting back to work :angel: