How smooth is it?

Search This thread

trebb

Mar 26, 2011
DC
I havent noticed any lag but I do hate all the redraws.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

It sometimes takes a while when I type in names for them to pop up. And going in and out of messaging threads isn't the quickest.

The redraws are the worst, though. I can't believe a phone with 2GB of RAM and a processor with that power redraws so much. The app is beautiful too, so I'm torn.

WizeGuyDezignz

Jun 12, 2008
San Diego
Yea, ditto...as in, my phone also does NOT lag and I also happen to be running Nova Prime. Now to expand...I'm not running Nova to make it smoother or faster, it already was super smooth and ripped right out of the box! I'm using Nova because I like the look it gives and for the gestures. Ok!? How smooth is it? Buuutterrry smooooth....

I am currently running Nova on my Note 2 just to test it out and it's running just as quick and smooth as it was when I had the DNA which doesn't surprise me at all.
Sense vs Touchwiz on the other hand is no contest. Sense is smooth and has slow animations and Touchwiz is smooth and has fast animations. I prefer the latter.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

themikeyan

Jul 18, 2010
I guess everyone has their own priorities in choosing the right phone for them, and that's ok. Form factor and specs didn't do much for me since it isn't light years ahead of anything current and I certainly don't notice it compared to my Note 2. And the display was really nice for sure, but it wasn't some crazy night and day difference that would make me want to keep it just for that.

So I went with a very good display, better battery life and external storage. That is what my priorities were. Yes it's much larger than the DNA, so it would definitely be a matter of choice. For you the DNA fits what you want, so that's all that matters! :D

Form factor is the main reason I went with the DNA over the note 2. I still can't get used to the note2 and I work on several that clients own. Not to say it is a bad decide, but it isn't for me.

I think a lot of the "hate" you get is from your blowing off the DNA for "why not get a better battery life, etc" device. It doesnt bother me but it seems to ruffle a lot of feathers. You certainly have every right to your opinion. Perhaps toning down that harsh part of your attitude that is anti-dna might help? Like I said, for me, form factor matters because the note 2 just isn't for me. The DNA is about as big a phone as I'll go.

Mike

Reactions: pumah350

v-b-n

Feb 17, 2010
Singapore
The messaging app isn't very smooth. Lags a lot, and it redraws SO MUCH.

Thats the only issue I have. The messaging app is kinda buggy. I should have waited on rooting to see if a update came out for it but I doubt one will.

I havent noticed any lag but I do hate all the redraws.

It sometimes takes a while when I type in names for them to pop up. And going in and out of messaging threads isn't the quickest.

The redraws are the worst, though. I can't believe a phone with 2GB of RAM and a processor with that power redraws so much. The app is beautiful too, so I'm torn.

The messaging app is not the best in the world, I agree. However, its behaviour is still more towards stock rather than a full rewrite. Compare how Samsung messaging app handles mms versus HTC one. Also, what you all are referring as redraw is not that ... A redraw is a graphical thing, what the messaging app is doing is a refresh wherein it reads the messaging db again and does a refresh on the screen to reflect changes ... So there is no relation to ram, etc.. its just an app coding issue

Sent from my HTC Butterfly using xda premium

alinafia

Sep 10, 2009
Phone is smooth for me..just dont use widget too much and no live wallpaper. Im from note 2 user...note 2 only better on battery only..else butterfly. Btw.. note 2 user beware of sod...mine affected.

Sent from my HTC Butterfly using xda app-developers app

jlevy73

Nov 8, 2009
Los Angeles
By the looks of it, I have the only lag free DNA. I don't have any issues with the stock messaging app that have been discussed throughout this thread. My SGS3 does lag quite heavily with stock messaging, handscent fixed that though.

Argumentation

Feb 21, 2012
Washinton, DC
By the looks of it, I have the only lag free DNA. I don't have any issues with the stock messaging app that have been discussed throughout this thread. My SGS3 does lag quite heavily with stock messaging, handscent fixed that though.

Honestly, I don't really see any of the lag I read about, my phone is super smooth, between de-sensed and sped up animations, it's great.

pumah350

Jul 14, 2012
WizeGuyDezignz;tellin 55 said:
Sense vs Touchwiz on the other hand is no contest. Sense is smooth and has slow animations and Touchwiz is smooth and has fast animations. I prefer the latter.

Hehe, ok buddy...keep tellin yourself that. :laugh:

T

Transfusiionz

No lag for anything on my phone here :)
(Running a hella debloated Battery+ rom or whatever it's called.. System/apps is near AOSP levels lol.. Only 60-70 installed, and dsb's newest kernel)
If you get this phone, I highly recommend rooting/unlocking it if you know a little adb. Once we get AOSP, this thing will be an absolute boss.

Bigandrewgold

Mar 26, 2011
No lag for anything on my phone here :)
(Running a hella debloated Battery+ rom or whatever it's called.. System/apps is near AOSP levels lol.. Only 60-70 installed, and dsb's newest kernel)
If you get this phone, I highly recommend rooting/unlocking it if you know a little adb. Once we get AOSP, this thing will be an absolute boss.

And at this point the adv is minimal since we font use jcases method anymore.

Bigandrewgold

Mar 26, 2011
Yeah and keep telling yourself that the DNA has faster animations. :rolleyes:

No one ever said that the DNA has faster animations. But the speed is a personal preference. I'd rather have a slower animation speed that is super smooth that a super fast one that can get choppy, a la Samsung.

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Sherrills Ford, NC
Wizeguy had a DNA at one time so he is an authority on all things [wrong] with this phone.

Honestly hes getting quite annoying with it. All he does is come in here and trash the phone. The guy has a complex about him.

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

Are you Canadian? Explains why you have absolutely nothing good to say. Just like all the canucks I played hockey with.

Reactions: vdChild

another581

Apr 29, 2012
Phone alone won't make any apps to be smooth...optimizations from individual apps would matter more than just hardware specs of a phone. So system apps and UIs will be just flying through your fingers, but many apps that are yet to be optimized well for the DNA will lag regardless of how much power the DNA has.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ditto for any Android device of the current gen or even last gen for that matter. What does Nova have to do with this phone specifically or the question that the OP is asking??

Once a hater always a hater.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda premium
    One of the reasons I went back to iOS a couple years ago was because I couldn't stand the jittery UI in Android.

The DNA is at least as smooth as my iPhone 4S, which is to say there is hardly any perceptible lag, unless something major is happening in the background (like updating several apps or something).

I'm now rooted with Hatka's ROM, LK's kernel and either Apex or Nova Prime launchers. The UI is downright buttery and clearly smoother than the 4S. Newer apps are as well, but some older apps are still a bit clunky for some reason. I attribute that to the apps themselves doing something wrong, because other apps are flawless.

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

Truth being, Nova runs good on every current and most last gen devices, so what's the point? If you are buying a phone just to run Nova, you can buy any phone, it doesn't have to be the DNA

Form factor and specs, for one. Carrier, for another. And the display - good god the display. No other phone except the Note 2 - whose display sucks compared to the DNA, whose dimensions are ridiculous and which tries to convince us that the stylus is a good thing (I flatly refuse to step 6 years into the past and use a goddamn stylus) - on Verizon is comparable right now in terms of hardware specs. Literally none are comparable on any carrier in terms of display quality.
    Just kinda FYI to everybody here, you can set the animations in the advanced dev options to .5 instead of 1 and it makes all the animations much faster and smoother. :good::)

There is pretty significant lag throughout the UI. The Nexus 4 w/ the same specs, minus Sense UI and the 1080p screen, is much smoother. The biggest issue for me in day to day use is scrolling left and right through GTalk sessions. It lags BAD. But that's the only thing that really bothers me at this point in my day to day use.

But the screen makes up for it. :)

You're still here? Go draw :D