[4.2.x][Infuse4g] Jellybean Kernel Port Project

Search This thread

eZdubzitmk4

Sep 1, 2011
RI
Wow. Another infuse donation. I'm glad I'm in the infuse section of this forum. People rock here.

This phone wouldn't be anywhere without the great users that download and test roms.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

nickg2027

Jul 8, 2011
Thank you for your generosity.. Its greatly appreciated. I actually just received a newly donated infuse a week or so ago and i have my backup one (which was my original and is in tough shape, but still works if needed).. I think taking a third infuse would be wasteful on my end... As for the brick risk factor with this little porting attempt, there really isnt one, so im not anticipating losing a soldier in battle during all of this.. I do have a couple individuals in mind though that could make use of the device if you are willing... I will talk to them and let you know. Once again, Thanks!

Yes, I am willing to give to anyone that you recommend that can help you in any way, shape, or form. Just let me know.

yogi.306

Mar 16, 2013
Mumbai
www.yogeshdama.com
SOD issue

Thats Great NEWS for infuse, Thanks a ton to Scott, i am becoming your FAN with each of your steps for infuse 4g.

Just FYI,
I was searching on XDA for aries and found some of the post where there is an issue of SOD (Sleep of death) with Aries kernal port in galexy s 4g.

I am sure you are aware of it, i am just curious and afread so informing you.
:)

Hope we will get luck in your developement for kernal update, too excited.

Thanks Scott.

So everyone knows that situation we are in with our kernel.... At the moment, its DECENT, but it is extremely outdated. Although it is enough to keep things working at the moment, who knows what may happen with future OS releases... We have had no official support since the days of gingerbread. Myself and a handful of other developers have been making changes/additions when needed and to the best of our abilities, but with such an outdated kernel, it is getting harder and harder to make necessary changes to work with the existing source.

As of right now, this will be a two man project... Myself and rwaterspf1. Those of you who are not familiar with rwaterspf1, that is the member that recently donated his infuse to me. I got to talking with him and it turns out that he is not a stranger around kernel development in other areas. I am currently talking with a couple other people and may get some assistance from them as well.

We will be attempting to add support for the infuse4g into the Aries kernel. - Which is a updated and supported kernel

This is DAY ONE, and nothing has been done yet. This is the very beginning and for those of you that are not familiar with kernel development, there is alot that goes into it, so do NOT expect this to be completed with a day or two. This will be an ONGOING development thread.

As a disclaimer, I want to make sure that everyone is aware that this may NOT work at all and may just be a huge fail. We will try our best and from the looks of it, I think its definitely something we can figure out.

This is a WORK IN PROGRESS, and we ask that you all support us even in the event of failure.

Progress can be found -> HERE
Efforts as of 4/28/2013
* MTD partition table and file system files added into kernel
* Touchscreen drivers copied over
* Added video driver files and edited existing files
* Edited modem files for infuse compatibilities
* Infuse edits added to sec_jack file for compatibility

You can find rwaterspf1's profile from HERE

There will be numerous benefits if we are able to do this... And hell... who knows.... it may even fix up the 720p recording issue in doing this... No promises though.

scott.hart.bti

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 19, 2012
Reading
Thats Great NEWS for infuse, Thanks a ton to Scott, i am becoming your FAN with each of your steps for infuse 4g.

Just FYI,
I was searching on XDA for aries and found some of the post where there is an issue of SOD (Sleep of death) with Aries kernal port in galexy s 4g.

Thanks Scott.

Honestly, at this point that is the last thing on my mind... Along with a **** ton of other things and basically any extra functionality.. As of RIGHT NOW and this point we are at, the main focus is on porting over the drivers from the dempsey kernel to the aries kernel and the board files and hopefully being able to get them to coexist with the existing files so that we can get a successful build going.. Believe me when i say it sounds alot easier then it really is...

But, once we (hopefully) get to the point of a full complete stable boot, then we will start looking into what works, what doesnt work, and what needs to be redone..

I spend about 4 hours last night working on this and still have a **** ton of drivers and infuse specific files that need to copied over and merged into the existing aries setup. You can check out the progress from the link in the OP.

The goal is to achieve full boot by the end of this week... I think its doable.

Last edited:

Connor Baker

May 9, 2012
Honestly, at this point that is the last thing on my mind... Along with a **** ton of other things and basically any extra functionality.. As of RIGHT NOW and this point we are at, the main focus is on porting over the drivers from the dempsey kernel to the aries kernel and the board files and hopefully being able to get them to coexist with the existing files so that we can get a successful build going.. Believe me when i say it sounds alot easier then it really is...

But, once we (hopefully) get to the point of a full complete stable boot, then we will start looking into what works, what doesnt work, and what needs to be redone..

I spend about 4 hours last night working on this and still have a **** ton of drivers and infuse specific files that need to copied over and merged into the existing aries setup. You can check out the progress from the link in the OP.

Scott, I hope you recognize what massive progress this is that you've made. You are doing something that (to my knowledge) it took Samsung a full team to accomplish. Don't push yourself too hard man!

Now, please excuse me while I go and thank every post of yours I can find.

Connor Baker

toxicpaulution

Oct 27, 2011
Lykens
Scott, I hope you recognize what massive progress this is that you've made. You are doing something that (to my knowledge) it took Samsung a full team to accomplish. Don't push yourself too hard man!

Connor Baker

Couldn't have said that any better myself. You sir, are a godsend. :)

Sent from my SGH-I997 using xda premium

yogi.306

Mar 16, 2013
Mumbai
www.yogeshdama.com
We Bow You. !!!

We bow you down on our knees SIR Scott.

Heads up to you. :good:

Spent more time with family & friends.

dginsd

Jan 23, 2012
I just found this thread and am very excited and appreciative for your efforts. Can't wait to see what this can possibly do for our seasoned little device.

yogi.306

Mar 16, 2013
Mumbai
www.yogeshdama.com
The Current Boot Animation is nice but..

Thanks for the Nice and cool Boot animation of Beanstalk, just one point, do not take is at all as Complaint.

Its not looks like infinite loop, like CM, if you are working on new one, please check this...
any preview or screenshot, i am too excited too check

Thanks again.

You are awesome for attempting this. Thank you. If you need my help in anyway, just let me know.

And btw, i got the new beanstalk boot animation started. But its still a ways to go. And no, the forecast doesn't call for tacos.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

YES +1
Very True..

Connor Baker

Reactions: selw0nk

ziphoy

Feb 3, 2013
LAGUNA
Awesome!

Its possible... We use the exact audio files on the device end.... So i think we should be able to use their audio drivers kernel end, might just be a matter of making a few changes to our board files..

Status Update: We havent really gotten started with to much yet... So far its a process to see what is needed and how involved this will be. I also reached out to two kernel devs that recently did the same thing with another similar device... One of them is currently looking at the kernel diffs and will get back to me to see if he can help out or not... I have high hopes as of right now. As soon as we get rolling, we will paste a link to our github to track the progress

Scott.hart industries... i feel that would pay more then my ****ty job i currently have.. :)

Ahaha! Man you're a fvcking genius! I'm so excited! Take you're time. Happy tester here. If you need one. Man we need to work together on this. Please let's all cooperate! :)) :D i'll be checking this thread regularly like cm.

Hien.gfan

Apr 22, 2013
Thank you for your generosity.. Its greatly appreciated. I actually just received a newly donated infuse a week or so ago and i have my backup one (which was my original and is in tough shape, but still works if needed).. I think taking a third infuse would be wasteful on my end... As for the brick risk factor with this little porting attempt, there really isnt one, so im not anticipating losing a soldier in battle during all of this.. I do have a couple individuals in mind though that could make use of the device if you are willing... I will talk to them and let you know. Once again, Thanks!

Hey Scott,

Can you tell me the progress now?

foundsoul80

Dec 29, 2011
Massillon, Ohio
Scott i am looking forward and i can say all JB rom fans are too!!! I would like to see 720 in jb. It be sweet!!! Keep it going bro your the man. Wadnt for you we would be lost!! Thanks again

Sent from my SGH-I997 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So everyone knows that situation we are in with our kernel.... At the moment, its DECENT, but it is extremely outdated. Although it is enough to keep things working at the moment, who knows what may happen with future OS releases... We have had no official support since the days of gingerbread. Myself and a handful of other developers have been making changes/additions when needed and to the best of our abilities, but with such an outdated kernel, it is getting harder and harder to make necessary changes to work with the existing source.

As of right now, this will be a two man project... Myself and rwaterspf1. Those of you who are not familiar with rwaterspf1, that is the member that recently donated his infuse to me. I got to talking with him and it turns out that he is not a stranger around kernel development in other areas. I am currently talking with a couple other people and may get some assistance from them as well.

We will be attempting to add support for the infuse4g into the Aries kernel. - Which is a updated and supported kernel

This is DAY ONE, and nothing has been done yet. This is the very beginning and for those of you that are not familiar with kernel development, there is alot that goes into it, so do NOT expect this to be completed with a day or two. This will be an ONGOING development thread.

As a disclaimer, I want to make sure that everyone is aware that this may NOT work at all and may just be a huge fail. We will try our best and from the looks of it, I think its definitely something we can figure out.

This is a WORK IN PROGRESS, and we ask that you all support us even in the event of failure.

Progress can be found -> HERE
    Efforts as of 4/28/2013
    * MTD partition table and file system files added into kernel
    * Touchscreen drivers copied over
    * Added video driver files and edited existing files
    * Edited modem files for infuse compatibilities
    * Infuse edits added to sec_jack file for compatibility

You can find rwaterspf1's profile from HERE

There will be numerous benefits if we are able to do this... And hell... who knows.... it may even fix up the 720p recording issue in doing this... No promises though.

Just FYI,

Thanks Scott.

Is this project still active, any update on where it's at and how it's going?

Yes this is still active. I apologize as i put it on the back burner for the past week or so and focused on a few other projects. Im looking to pick back up on this tomorrow once the wife heads into work and hopefully will get some progress by the end of the week. As of right now, we are still in the ****ty stage of copying all of our infuse specific drivers over to the aries kernel... believe me when i say its alot more challenging and time consuming then it sounds.

Zen Arcade sent me a PM saying that he was willing to assist with this project, so with another knowledgeable person added in the mix, we should make some pretty solid progress in the upcoming days. Also, another kernel dev (from the p1 device) i have been communicating with is willing to help, but he has his own project that he needs to wrap up first before he can lend a helping hand. I still have high hopes for this and definitely havent given up yet. :).
    I felt that this needed a bump.

I hope that all is well with you and your's Scott, and that you're taking a much needed break.

Connor Baker

Thank you sir... Ive been having some personal issues ive been dealing with and also i feel that i have been improving our current kernel significantly over the past couple weeks....

I DO intend to get back to this, just may be a little longer then i expected. Sorry for the delay and thanks for all the support.
    Good question ..... If the will revamp the audio drivers ....

Sent from my SGH-I997 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

Think Samsung needs to be renamed to Scott.hart industries

Sent from my SGH-I997 using xda app-developers app

Its possible... We use the exact audio files on the device end.... So i think we should be able to use their audio drivers kernel end, might just be a matter of making a few changes to our board files..

Status Update: We havent really gotten started with to much yet... So far its a process to see what is needed and how involved this will be. I also reached out to two kernel devs that recently did the same thing with another similar device... One of them is currently looking at the kernel diffs and will get back to me to see if he can help out or not... I have high hopes as of right now. As soon as we get rolling, we will paste a link to our github to track the progress

Scott.hart industries... i feel that would pay more then my ****ty job i currently have.. :)