Dual-boot of Sammy and AOSP is working!

Search This thread

DerTeufel1980

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 31, 2011
anyway, doesn't really matter, if you are running really one kernel for aosp and tw, as you could easily switch the kernel together with the rom, as kernel flashing only takes few seconds and does not require anything else.
of course this only works, as long as both are running the same type of partition.

i am gonna try this on my i9000, to boot ics and jellybean at once

Reactions: RichMD

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
anyway, doesn't really matter, if you are running really one kernel for aosp and tw, as you could easily switch the kernel together with the rom, as kernel flashing only takes few seconds and does not require anything else.
of course this only works, as long as both are running the same type of partition.

i am gonna try this on my i9000, to boot ics and jellybean at once

agreed! my last post was in regards to moto devices...they have locked and encrypted bootloaders, that does not allow changing kernels. so its not true aosp if your running a stock kernel. yes i agree you can load the kernel and rom together on a unlocked device. i would give dual boot a shot if you got it working. again I appreciate work!! thx

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
Richmd, my apologies for the thread hijack...if you look back when this device first dropped there was a big stink about donation threads. Actually the admin of this forum stepped in and said donation threads are actually against the rules. Some mods allow it others don't. I guess its a grey area topic. I wish they would address this situation and come up with a solution so folks don't get screwed over. I can 100% vouch for DerTeufel that he wouldn't do this...however if you allow one then ethically all donation threads should be allowed. That is all, again I mean no disrespect, just wanted to clear the air a bit. Thx guys!!!

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
Re: Dual-boot donation thread - Currently > $310.00

Richmd, my apologies for the thread hijack...if you look back when this device first dropped there was a big stink about donation threads. Actually the admin of this forum stepped in and said donation threads are actually against the rules. Some mods allow it others don't. I guess its a grey area topic. I wish they would address this situation and come up with a solution so folks don't get screwed over. I can 100% vouch for DerTeufel that he wouldn't do this...however if you allow one then ethically all donation threads should be allowed. That is all, again I mean no disrespect, just wanted to clear the air a bit. Thx guys!!!

People vouched for joelz too...and everyone knows how that turned out...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Bradh024

Jul 14, 2010
****holeville, OH

People vouched for joelz too...and everyone knows how that turned out...

As much as I agree with you, in my opinion, joelz still has the best rom out for the rezound. Though, I'm not at all a fan of these donation threads, I pay for work thats done. If you think about it, its a touchy subject all the way around. Whos to say how much work a developer has to do to repay the people thats donated? One person might be happy with a stable rom, while the other person thinks that since they donated, their entitled to new roms/updates for the life of their device. Personally if I was a developer, I wouldnt accept any donations until my work was finished for that exact reason.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk HD

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT

Thanks droidstyle,
I realize you had a concern and voiced it in a respectful way without being extremely negative. That's a skill not everyone has. I've seen comments about people expecting the DEV to continue developing for the life of the device, etc. I didn't start the thread just to add another great DEV to the list working on our device. Although that is something I want, the main purpose was a specific capability (dual booting ROMS) that DerTeufel can provide and has already done it on another device. He is a kernel developer rather than just a ROM developer. Therefore, his work can benefit many different ROMs.
What if I changed the OP to state the purpose a little differently. I really consider the donations as just so DerTeufel can deliver this one significant new capability. Any development after the fact (which obviously would occur) is a bonus. He already said that if he couldn't do it then he would give back to the community. I don't want to try to figure out how that would happen and I don't think he would even have to since I have confidence that he will be able to replicate what he has already successfully done for the Samsung Captivate.
People have also asked about dual-booting AOSP/AOKP and TW ROMs. If he can quickly swap out kernels and boot the alternate ROM then this would be ideal in many people's mind. I'm open to suggestions on how to move this forward since I truly believe a lot of people would take advantage of this capability which does not currently exist for our device.
Sorry for the very long post...

1ManWolfePack

Jul 11, 2012

We might as well quit beating around the bush and say the real reason why donation threads got jacked:

Joelz

This kid ruined it for all. We need donation thread reform, with Joelz' case as an example of what not to do. That kid's the best bait & switch artist I've seen yet - and I've been in sales for 13 years. One bad apple (maybe more) ruined it for all. I'm just like droidstyle now. I see a donate thread and I think of Joelz burning everyone.

/hijack

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Bradh024

Jul 14, 2010
****holeville, OH

We might as well quit beating around the bush and say the real reason why donation threads got jacked:

Joelz

This kid ruined it for all. We need donation thread reform, with Joelz' case as an example of what not to do. That kid's the best bait & switch artist I've seen yet - and I've been in sales for 13 years. One bad apple (maybe more) ruined it for all. I'm just like droidstyle now. I see a donate thread and I think of Joelz burning everyone.

/hijack

I wouldn't call joelz the reason for all the skepticism, as Ive seen many other devs veer away from a device, for reasons that they were tired of the bs in the threads or just didnt have time for it. I've also came from the rezound and I know of 3 devs thats done it just off the top of my head. The problem is, as I said before, unless the dev specifies what work and how much is going to be done when he gets the device, there's really no set standard.

DerTeufel1980

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 31, 2011

I wouldn't call joelz the reason for all the skepticism, as Ive seen many other devs veer away from a device, for reasons that they were tired of the bs in the threads or just didnt have time for it. I've also came from the rezound and I know of 3 devs thats done it just off the top of my head. The problem is, as I said before, unless the dev specifies what work and how much is going to be done when he gets the device, there's really no set standard.

Of course I can't guarantee, that I'll still have the time in two years.
I can tell you, that I have it right now, and making a dual boot kernel should be done in about 2 weeks.
As it would be my main device (although my GT-I9000 is still running great and got Ubuntu today), i would try to get the most out of the kernel, and I would implement more device specific fixes into my rom.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: RichMD

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT

I can tell you, that I have it right now, and making a dual boot kernel should be done in about 2 weeks.
As it would be my main device (although my GT-I9000 is still running great and got Ubuntu today), i would try to get the most out of the kernel, and I would implement more device specific fixes into my rom.

Thanks DerTeufel,
That's all we can ask.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

1ManWolfePack

Jul 11, 2012

I've been around for a long time. People started getting real sketchy on donate threads after the Joelz fiasco. I'm sure others will chime in and second what I'm saying.

Bradh024

Jul 14, 2010
****holeville, OH

Hey man, I applaud your honesty and I believe ya. I dont think there's any harm in this thread. Hell Id donate if I had the money, but with kids and a wife thats in college, thats really hard to do right now. Im just saying, if people donate beforehand, they're donating blindly, unless what they are donating for is specified.

Reactions: 1ManWolfePack

1ManWolfePack

Jul 11, 2012

Just to clarify - I'm not saying anything bad about this thread or the dev in it. Just Joelz and donate threads in general.

Reactions: spyderman09

spyderman09

Aug 2, 2007

Just to clarify - I'm not saying anything bad about this thread or the dev in it. Just Joelz and donate threads in general.

The Joelz issue is the single reason I won't donate beforehand. He ruined it for everyone, at least in my eyes. Good luck to this dev though. It actually sounds like a pretty cool idea

Sent from my Note II

Bradh024

Jul 14, 2010
****holeville, OH

I've been around for a long time. People started getting real sketchy on donate threads after the Joelz fiasco. I'm sure others will chime in and second what I'm saying.

Man, I totally understand ya. I was around when joelz said he was selling the rezound, and it just so happened he started building for the gnex. That was a pretty shady move, but all in all, he still has one of the best roms out for the rezound.

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
Man, I totally understand ya. I was around when joelz said he was selling the rezound, and it just so happened he started building for the gnex. That was a pretty shady move, but all in all, he still has one of the best roms out for the rezound.

I changed the OP to list "Would you risk donating $5.00 for dual-boot capability?" If enough people can risk donating $5.00 just to get the dual-boot capability then you don't have to worry about the "possibility" that DerTeufel1980 would move onto another device right after. He has been developing for the SamSung Captivate for a LONG time by the way.

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
Re: Would you risk donating $5.00 for dual-boot capability?

He also arguably stole his work on the rezound from a dev who wishes to not be named on this forum who was far more mature about the matter than Joelz was.

He then as mentioned tried to sell the rezound for personal profit instead of donating it to another dev. I got bashed for calling him out on that in the rezound forums. He got a nexus which I dunno what happened there as I never went to that phone. He then got a GSIII and spent months making pure AOSP. I am pretty sure I did more work for the GSIII by figuring out how to deodexe the stock ROMs at the beginning than Joelz has done for the GSIII over all. I didn't get a phone donated to me.

He really is the reason I won't even think twice about not donating for work unseen.

I also would like to point out when I called him out for failing to support the rezound and bringing out releases that were full of bugs he admitted I was right. I also had mods (who I won't name) who admitted he was pulling things over on anyone more than once, but that they couldn't do anything about it other than stop donation threads.

He also always seems to be in school. Says he focuses on school to get good grades yet he is always in summer school every year too.

Shady.

Last edited:

plznote

Jun 1, 2011

Maybe a pledge? People donate to an administrator and once the goal is complete and the thing is done the dev can receive his money. He has to pony up the money first and complete the work and then he gets paid. He only has to start once the pledge is 100%

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati

Maybe a pledge? People donate to an administrator and once the goal is complete and the thing is done the dev can receive his money. He has to pony up the money first and complete the work and then he gets paid. He only has to start once the pledge is 100%

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

While I agree a good idea, most devs won't do this as they don't have the money in the first place to buy a phone, spend the time completing the project and then get the money.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OP Updated

Update 5/25 - DerTeufel1980 has spent a while perfecting a universal kernel that works on AOSP and Sammy ROMs. The thread is here > http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2239453
    He had to work out some bugs that prevented troubleshooting the dual-boot problem. However, he recently returned to the dual-boot problem and has solved it. He has been able to dual-boot with AOSP as primary, Sammy as secondary and vice-versa. He is still fixing some recovery issues, etc but is hopeful that the release will be available tomorrow. This turned out to be much more challenging than other phones but that is probably why nobody else has accomplished it until he had a device to work on... :p
    Update 5/13/13 - This is DerTeufel1980's thread for the kernel which works for both AOSP and TW. Dual-boot is not yet working yet though. - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2239453

FYI - DerTeufel1980 had a solid kernel working fairly quickly and has since worked on the recovery mods to allow installing two ROMs, etc. He has been working through a few items such as USB only working for charging, etc. He is making progress though. :)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    DerTeufel1980 has a dual-boot kernel working for the Samsung Galaxy line (Captivate, etc). With our help, he has been able to purchase a Note II to work on and I have been updating this thread with donation promises.
    The post is below. You can look at his stats (a recognized developer with close to 13,000 thanks) and know that he can be trusted. Just to have him working on the Note II will be a great addition. I started the thread on the AT&T forum and then added it in the N7100/N7105 forum when I realized he lives in Germany. He and I have committed a fair amount of $ to make this happen so if you feel inclined to help out then it would be appreciated.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38121246&postcount=27

$200 loan for now. - RichMD
    $25 - ceo.mtcl
    PAID - $10 - rayandreas
    PAID - $50 - mocsab
    >=$10 - trism@jtype.net
    PAID - $29 - btpd21
    PAID - $25 - Jamice4u
    PAID - $10 - Shinkinrui
    PAID - $5 - muqali
    PAID - $10 - rlee008
    $5 - kingP1n
    $5 - deviusdragger
    $5 - lovekeiiy
    PAID - $15 CDKJudoka
    PAID - $5 ristiisa
    PAID - $10 Grant Barker
    ** After the kernel is working - $100 - PhxDroid86
    ** After the kernel is working - $20 - Markor13
    ** After the kernel is working - $15 - trevor7428
    ** After the kernel is working - $30 - kashortiexda

Update 5/25 - DerTeufel1980 has spent a while perfecting a universal kernel that works on AOSP and Sammy ROMs. The thread is here > http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2239453
    He had to work out some bugs that prevented troubleshooting the dual-boot problem. However, he recently returned to the dual-boot problem and has solved it. He has been able to dual-boot with AOSP as primary, Sammy as secondary and vice-versa. He is still fixing some recovery issues, etc but is hopeful that the release will be available tomorrow. This turned out to be much more challenging than other phones but that is probably why nobody else has accomplished it until he had a device to work on... :p
    Yeah, I'm aware of that, but here's the thing:

You don't ask for my services - you just get them when I feel the need. Ya feel me? ;) I also take contracting jobs, but mostly I just inject myself where I see the need.

So much to work with here. Where do I start?:D

I know we are all saying show some work before donating first but this is same way myself and the sprint community got sbrissen a Verizon GNote2. Some people were skeptical about him and being able to bring AOSP but look where we are now. Tons of AOSP ROMs all because we were able to get him a device. I can't personally vouch for this dev since I've never used any of his work lol but it doesn't mean he's not good for it. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

This thread is not about Joelz...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

This statement means your missing the point. The point is joelz has thousands of people who will vouch for him yet the actions I listed still stand.

Work first donations second.