[Discussion] Do we really need an antivirus app on android? Attention required.

Search This thread

XDguru

Mar 4, 2013
Berhampur
Hey guys it's quite confusing for me. That do we really need an antivirus on android?

Please submit ur reviews.
If yes,why and which app you suggest.
If no..plese let us know why?

Devs and seniors are mostly welcome and requested.

Last edited:

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
Hey guys it's quite confusing for me. That do we really need an antivirus on android?

Devs and seniors are mostly welcome and requested..as ur the ones we trust on XDA.

I have never used or needed one. As long as your careful then your fine.

Eternalty

Apr 17, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Re: Do we really need an antivirus app on android? Attention required.

Devs and seniors are mostly welcome and requested..as ur the ones we trust on XDA.

Just don't download garbage blindly and u should be fine

Sent from my SGH-I777 running AOKP

FlipMorten

Aug 18, 2011
Ålesund, Norway

I don't see it as necessary, but I do use avast! Free Mobile Security for it's anti-theft part. There are other apps that offer the same.
A german security company ran a test of some anti-virus apps, There were 172 possible hits and 10 real time hits and the results were depressing:

Antivirus Free fra Creative Apps – 0/172, 0/10
GuardX Antivirus fra QStar – 0/172, 0/10
LabMSF Antivirus beta fra LabMSF – 0/172, 0/10
Privateer Lite fra Privateer Labs – 0/172, 1/10
Bluepoint antivirus Free fra BluePoint Security – 2/172, 1/10
Kinetoo Malware Scan av CPU Media SARL – 11/172, 1/10
Zoner AntiVirus Free av ZONER – 55/172, 8/10

Mind you this was a while back and Avast, AVG and other of the larger ones was not included.

Last edited:

devwithzachary

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
In my experience antivirus apps are just here to scare windows users into giving a company more money.

Sure some of them to have nice anti theft features however there are also plenty of very good (free) apps that do this like prey.

Just do not download random apk's from the internet and blindly install them and you will be fine

JKan Co

Mar 9, 2012

Waste of money.... When i got my first device i spent 5€ for antivarious... After some days i found out that the only thing it was doing, was to blockmy carrier`s messagges.. Nothing else

Sent from my GT-I9001 using xda app-developers app

shashivydyula

Feb 28, 2013
Hyderabad
Antdroid antivirus programs are mostly used for

1)Anti-Theft uses

2)To know any issues with settings in the phone (Faulty or unchecked settings)

3)To know which apps are using network, wifi, GPS etc through privacy advisers

4)Will block malicious websites that are suspicious.

5)Provides call/sms blockers.

6)I have seen some virus attacks for few of my friends on their android mobiles even though they had an antivirus app on them. So I don't know why it happened.

So instead of backing off from single drawback use it for several other uses it provides! (My choice Avast! For Rooted phones, it will work best)

Lifehacker7

Nov 19, 2012
Bangalore, karnataka

Used to stick with avast before. ( but it makes the device hell lotta Laggy when any app is installed trying to scan the crap out of it for no good ).
But it's useful with the firewall feature.
As long as its from playstore, you won't need any anti viruses .
In 4.2 i see that Google has included something that they call "verify apps" and that's supposed to check if the app is harmful or not.
And again, download stuff from trusted websites only.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
LIFE!
IT'S WHAT YOU MAKE OUT OF IT!

karthikc24

Mar 6, 2013
I agree with the other posts,

You really don't need an antivirus as long as you are careful about what you download.

I was using Aavast, but it made my Tab 2 laggy and slow so I uninstalled it.

Reactions: XDguru

mrvlhs

Mar 22, 2012
To be honest with you, you just need to be carefull and don't install things from sources you don't trust. Having that said, I still use Avast! Mobile Security because it has an anti-theft feature which I highly appreciate.

JFay22

Dec 14, 2012
Pensacola

The worst thing I have experienced in many years is airpush which is essentially no worse than spam ads and is remedied by simply uninstalling the culprit app.. Be aware and you should not need antivirus apps.

Sent from my Sourcerized GNex Toroplus via Tapatalk

XDguru

Mar 4, 2013
Berhampur

Using avast for anti thefts..n got a solution,instead of uninstalling it I just froze it via greenify..n it solved the issue.only the anti theft is working in background and its using quite little memory which is ok for me as per my phones physical security is concern,but the antivirus app that was using a huge memory is frozen..
Hope this idea helps any one who is in confusion to hav or not an antivirus.

Thanx all for your valuable advice and suggests.

Sent from my MT11i using xda app

Last edited:

MrMateczko

Mar 15, 2013
As long as you know what you're installing, checking the permissions, not installing non-Market apps too often, and no installing unknown apps over the internet, you should be fine without antivirus.

Out2kill

Mar 12, 2013
H-Town

Don't auto download attachments from your email either.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

CenTT

Jan 15, 2012
Hanoi

I never need it.

Sent from my LG-SU640 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I have never used or needed one. As long as your careful then your fine.
    Antivirus is up to you!

I've read some posts here and there, it really is a good question, in fact it's the most problematic question concerning smartphones - let me explain:

Antivirus, as we all know, is a software that is intended to protect our private data to keep them private & possibly to protects our PC (when we want the PC we want it fully functional) - in a general definition.

Antivirus got so popular because of Microsoft "coding monkeys" making stupid security gaps in the most (unfortunately) popular operation system (that is Windows of curse) widely used - will now you know how much I like Microsoft.

Maybe some users are unfamiliar with Linux distros (like Ubuntu, Fedora ...), but these operation system actually don't need any antiviral protection since the teams working behind these OSes are really (really!!) called developers! They always work hard to fix these OSes (operations systems) and make them more secure with their daily updates (and we don't pay them a $, surely not like the amount of $ spent on Microsoft) because they care about us and as they want to feel free filling their computers with private data they want us to feel free too.

The thing is, lots of people have Windows installed as their OS, and they know that antivirus is a must!! (and it's really a must - if you don't have an antivirus in your Windows, then your like Alice in Wonderland, have no idea about whats going on!), that is why when buying a smartphone (smartphone has a continuous internet connection - the "distribution center" of the viruses) they automatically feel the need for an antivirus, and maybe they are right, I bet that there are at least 20 private photos and 2 private movies and God knows what types of email and messages you send via your new smartphone! And that's not including those who actually integrate their phones as a part of their work (they are forced by law to keep any work documents in a safe places).

So, your phones are probably your life! And you need to keep your life safe!

Android is Linux based (thank God it's not Windows), you should be in a real safe hands, and I might add, that the contribution of Google to Android (and Linux) project was a Big Bang for these projects, so the acceleration in their development increased greatly - But be sure to get the updates!

I personally don't use any antivirus software, but this is because I'm deep into the ocean and I know where the sharks are hidden.
    Lookout Mobile Security in “Lookout mobile threat report,” August, 2011 said:
    85% of smartphones do not employ antivirus protection.
    15% of smartphone users that did employ antivirus
    protection, 1 in 5 had reported being infected by mobile malware​

There ARE malwares (viruses) for smartphones, don't think they don't exist, but they can't actually do a thing in Android. They are helpless, unless you give them the power to execute as they should, and by this I mean root privileges! All the rooted phones must be aware of the app they download and install in their devices, before installing an app (even if it is from Google Play Store), you should check the list of permissions carefully!! And try not to download any apps from unknown sources. And last but not least, don't EVER give any root permissions to unknown apps.

I am sure that if you follow these directions, you won't be needing any antivirus app in your smartphones, but if you suspect that your going to miss something, and you feel pretty protective for you data and smartphone, I suggest you don't take the risk and apply the needed (and proved!) protection for your device - but expect for some battery drains for it isn't a perfect solution for mobile devices.
    Antdroid antivirus programs are mostly used for

1)Anti-Theft uses

2)To know any issues with settings in the phone (Faulty or unchecked settings)

3)To know which apps are using network, wifi, GPS etc through privacy advisers

4)Will block malicious websites that are suspicious.

5)Provides call/sms blockers.

6)I have seen some virus attacks for few of my friends on their android mobiles even though they had an antivirus app on them. So I don't know why it happened.

So instead of backing off from single drawback use it for several other uses it provides! (My choice Avast! For Rooted phones, it will work best)
    In my experience antivirus apps are just here to scare windows users into giving a company more money.

Sure some of them to have nice anti theft features however there are also plenty of very good (free) apps that do this like prey.

Just do not download random apk's from the internet and blindly install them and you will be fine

Just don't download garbage blindly and u should be fine

Sent from my SGH-I777 running AOKP