[Q] Where is the File Manager?

Search This thread

UberSlackr

Apr 5, 2012
Am I missing something? or is there no preinstalled File Manager?

Preinstalled apps, and google apps are the only apps allowed to write/edit to the miceSD card, so why wouldn't HTC install one?
Already regretting getting this phone, since I download a Lot of work files via my phone, and now I'm unable to move them from the downloads folder to the proper folder on the microSD.

jonny68

Mar 27, 2010
Dublin
Just downloaded one from Google play, loads to choose from.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

jaythenut

Sep 6, 2012
Am I missing something? or is there no preinstalled File Manager?

Preinstalled apps, and google apps are the only apps allowed to write/edit to the miceSD card, so why wouldn't HTC install one?
Already regretting getting this phone, since I download a Lot of work files via my phone, and now I'm unable to move them from the downloads folder to the proper folder on the microSD.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en_GB
this is the best one on the market never use stock file mangers always this one:D

UberSlackr

Apr 5, 2012
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en_GB
this is the best one on the market never use stock file mangers always this one:D

Well I tried it, but that app, just like all the other ones on the play store do not let you move files from the phone memory to the microSD.
It won't let you Delete anything either...
All you can do is view the microSD. No writes can be made to it.

Android 4.4 won't let the apps do that anymore. (Unless rooted)

UberSlackr

Apr 5, 2012
Then no other File Manager can do it either (without root). Can you delete files when connected to a PC?

Yes the files on the microSD can be altered via the PC. But apps like airDroid won't work anymore.

Working all the go, I don't have time to stop to plug the phone up to the computer every time I need to move/rename/delete a file.

skyline23

Oct 12, 2013
Saratoga
Yes the files on the microSD can be altered via the PC. But apps like airDroid won't work anymore.

Working all the go, I don't have time to stop to plug the phone up to the computer every time I need to move/rename/delete a file.

same boat here. I copy via USB2go all the time on my Note 3, and this is crippled for the M8. There's a work around, but you need to unlock the boot loader first, which for me is a pain, since it will reset the phone. I'm pretty OCD and it takes me some time to set everything up the way I like it. At this point, i'm just doing the PC transfer thing.

clax6

Jun 13, 2011
Upload the files to Google drive and then download to your memory card?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

UberSlackr

Apr 5, 2012
Upload the files to Google drive and then download to your memory card?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Google Drive saves any downloaded files to the internal memory, under the download folder. And there is no way to change where its saved to (that I know of)

It was just a poor choice of Google to disallow 3rd Party Apps from emaking changes to the external memory. They should have atleast
Made it a requirement for the manufacturer to include a file manager. Or Google them self should have. I understand they trying to push people to use Google Drive, but until data usage is free I won't used Google Drive to save nothing more than Google docs.

skyline23

Oct 12, 2013
Saratoga
Google Drive saves any downloaded files to the internal memory, under the download folder. And there is no way to change where its saved to (that I know of)

It was just a poor choice of Google to disallow 3rd Party Apps from emaking changes to the external memory. They should have atleast
Made it a requirement for the manufacturer to include a file manager. Or Google them self should have. I understand they trying to push people to use Google Drive, but until data usage is free I won't used Google Drive to save nothing more than Google docs.

A google backed file manager with full write permissions would be awesome, but that would be going against what they are trying to accomplish.