Fixing NT stuck with CWM, restore / update won't work

Search This thread

towir022

Nov 11, 2010
I am trying to do the fix that this thread is about however I am unable to get ADB properly working. As of now when I do adb devices it does not see any devices so clearly my nook is not set up right for some reason. Any ideas would be great. the klindle is in CWM when I try to do the ADB

JordanNash

Nov 27, 2012
Boot Loop

I recently tried to reflash my Nook Tablet 16GB to the latest version of the CM10 alpha, from 0.06 to 0.08.1. Unfortunately, the update may not have downloaded correctly due to the wifi + charging + stand-by = unmount bug.

When the new ZIP was flashed, the tablet will not longer boot past the CWM-based Recovery v5.0.2.8 . If the charger is plugged in, it will reboot a few times and then boot into Recovery. Otherwise, the screen will briefly illuminate, and then go black and off.

I've tried flashing various ZIPs through the Recovery panel, but none have had any effect. If I attempt to boot from SD (formatted using instructions from some of the SD recovery threads), it simply redirects my to the internal SD's CWM bootloader.

I suspect that the partition table is corrupted. However, it seems that my only option is to issue commands via Fastboot, which appears to run from Recovery. Unfortunately, ADB/Fastboot on my PC cannot seem to find my Nook Tablet . I've tried installing the USB drivers but Windows 8 rejects the included CAT files, saying that the hashes are missing and that they may have been tampered with.

I'm pretty smart, and tech savvy, but I'm getting worried that nothing will work. Help?

akshya11235

Mar 23, 2011
It is the same for me.
The driver is not installing at all for the tablet.

This is what I am trying to do:

Created a CWM SD card from this thread : http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25786947&postcount=1
Then I booted the NT in CWM through the cynoboot and loaded the sdcard recovery

Then I plugged it into the PC
Went to device manager and tried to update the driver

The driver installation failed by saying the driver is not valid.

Is there a step I am missing?

shellsac

Dec 1, 2012
help?

Hello all,

Hoping someone can help.

I have bricked my nook, at first it was stuck at the "restart the nook and try again screen" and would only boot into SDcard with CWM on it. I tried installing stock NT roms with CWM, wouldn't boot into it, keep getting "restart nook..."

Now I have internal CWM and it only boots to it, wouldn't boot past it, even after installing CM7.

adb does recognize(using ubuntu on virtual machine) the device and followed this post with the parted commands. Here is what I see:

Code:
Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name        Flags
 1      131kB   262kB   131kB                xloader
 2      262kB   524kB   262kB                bootloader
 3      524kB   16.3MB  15.7MB               recovery
 4      16.8MB  33.6MB  16.8MB               boot
 5      33.6MB  83.9MB  50.3MB  fat32        rom
 6      83.9MB  134MB   50.3MB  fat32        bootdata
 7      134MB   522MB   388MB   ext4         factory
 8      522MB   1164MB  642MB   ext4         system
 9      1164MB  1611MB  447MB   ext4         cache
10      1611MB  9630MB  8020MB  fat32        media
11      9630MB  15.6GB  6004MB  ext4         userdata

~ # mount sdcard
~ # dd if=/sdcard/mmcblk0p1 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
dd: can't open '/sdcard/mmcblk0p1': No such file or directory

Can anyone help?

Last edited:

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
Hello all,

Hoping someone can help.

I have bricked my nook, at first it was stuck at the "restart the nook and try again screen" and would only boot into SDcard with CWM on it. I tried installing stock NT roms with CWM, wouldn't boot into it, keep getting "restart nook..."

Now I have internal CWM and it only boots to it, would boot past it, even after installing CM7.

adb does recognize(using ubuntu on virtual machine" the device and followed this post with the parted commands. Here is what I see:

Code:
Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name        Flags
 1      131kB   262kB   131kB                xloader
 2      262kB   524kB   262kB                bootloader
 3      524kB   16.3MB  15.7MB               recovery
 4      16.8MB  33.6MB  16.8MB               boot
 5      33.6MB  83.9MB  50.3MB  fat32        rom
 6      83.9MB  134MB   50.3MB  fat32        bootdata
 7      134MB   522MB   388MB   ext4         factory
 8      522MB   1164MB  642MB   ext4         system
 9      1164MB  1611MB  447MB   ext4         cache
10      1611MB  9630MB  8020MB  fat32        media
11      9630MB  15.6GB  6004MB  ext4         userdata

~ # mount sdcard
~ # dd if=/sdcard/mmcblk0p1 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
dd: can't open '/sdcard/mmcblk0p1': No such file or directory

Can anyone help?

Do you get any other errors or questions on screen before it show you the list of partitions ?

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
thanks for the reply!!

I did but don't have it up right now... I did it yesterday, I got the error saying that I needed to fix the partitions so just said yes to fix them. So I thought they were fixed?

it fixes a few things yes. Not all. When you get back to it try again and see if there are any other errors... If there are, post them here :)

traversc

Dec 30, 2012
Thanks for this! The repartition method successfully unbricked my nook. Now if only someone could fix the problems I'm having with CM 10 :p

pournstarr

Dec 27, 2012
I have a 16g Nook tablet. This is where I'm at with it. I can use an sd card and boot into cwm. I can also boot from sd card and run cm7, but it is terribly slow and very buggy, even with a new 8gb class 6 sd card. I believe the partitions are messed up and have to be fixed. I can get my computer to see "Nook Tablet /!\" but once I install the drivers (I have installed the older ones and the newer ones with the same result) "Nook Tablet" goes away and "Android Phone" pops up and under this heading is listed "Android Composite ADB Interface". This is all done after clearing all the usb mass storage and such devices using USBDview. By the way this is being done while the tablet is in CWM so I can't check or uncheck USB debugging. Can someone please help me with this? Tell me what I should do and how to do it. I was going to do what it says in the first step of this thread, but don't know how to use DOS very well. Any help would be much appreciated.

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

One more thing, what its doing when trying to boot up is "N" screen then "Please dont turn off device..." then the red exclamation point screen saying to try again or contact customer service.

+1000.

this is exactly where i'm at with my NT. it comes up as android phone in windows, adb will not recognize my device no matter what i do (comes up empty when i type adb devices), i can only get into sd version of cwm but get the 4 or 5 error messages at the bottom about not being able to access recovery folders, and when i turn it on with no sd card in, i go to the installation screen with the red exclamation point. i've tried a lot of things and believe it is the partition tables, but cannot get adb to recognize to push the parted commands. i've tried every driver listed in every thread, bounced back and forth between "nook tablet" to "android composite interface" to "usb mass storage device" any help would be greatly appreciated. 16GB btw. thanks.

pournstarr

Dec 27, 2012
ok i downloaded an external cm10 image and tried to start it from the sd card, but it gets stuck at the swirling cyanogenmod logo. i formatted the partitions when it was working and i'm pretty sure thats why i'm stuck here. i've tried everything to get this working, including the flashing of partitions 1-4 & 6 in cwm, and that said successful, but when i try to install b&n 1.4.2 after that, it just gives me the red exclamation mark with the message to contact b&n. plus i still get the unable to mount recovery cache messages in cwm.

its possible the reason the adb isn't working is that i never turned on usb debugging when it was working properly, but now that i can't get into any version of cm, how can i enable it? i do see it in windows like i said, just when i run adb devices it comes up empty... so i can't partition anything manually. only thing i can get into is an sd mounted version of cwm.

sorry for the thread hijack and i know this is the general forum and not the q&a forum, but i've run out of options here and appreciate any help. thanks.

towir022

Nov 11, 2010
I have adb working. I am just confused as to what exactly you are supposed to do once you see in adb. The directions in the first post only list one command .

Can anyone give super basic instructions of what to do once you are in adb? I get into adb type adb devices it sees device and then i don't get where to go from there

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

bigshotrob22

Oct 3, 2010
Tucson
When I run the parted it only see my sdcard partitions...doesn't error out but like I said it only sees my sdcard partitions.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

towir022

Nov 11, 2010
I know I am missing something dumb

I have adb working. I am just confused as to what exactly you are supposed to do once you see in adb. The directions in the first post only list one command .

Can anyone give super basic instructions of what to do once you are in adb? I get into adb type adb devices it sees device and then i don't get where to go from there

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

Let me give some more info. I go into adb type adb shell then simply put in the code parted /dev/block/mmcblk0 print and it talks about gpt tables and asking if this is a gpt partition table.

I extracted those parted files which are named 0, 1, 2, 3 or whatever I put those files just on a blank micro sd card and stuck it in the nook. When in adb do I first have to mount the external sd card? Or do I have to tell adb where those 0 1 2 3 files are located or something for this to work?
Here is a pic of what I have going on. I am not sure if I am doing it right. I dont even think adb or the nook knows that there is an sd card in the slot or that there are important files on it for that matter.

I attached a picture of where I am at with adb

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 131

GeekyMaestro

Jan 9, 2012
Wow, after so much time I am lost

I installed CM7 a LONG time ago on a Nook Tablet. I honestly don't remember the steps I had taken but it completed successfully. I then lost interest in my NT and gave it to my wife. She used it quite often and eventually she didn't charge it and it went dead. Upon re-charging it, it would start, I would see the CM7 logo then it would stick on that Team B logo.

Now, I have CWM Recovery installed internally and it keeps booting to that.

I tried this SD image and instructions http://raywaldo.com/2012/06/how-to-un-brick-a-nook-tablet-8gb-or-16gb/

But that did not work. I don't get a green check mark and it just says "Rebooting in 5 seconds" then it never starts up again.

I hate to sound like such a noob because I obviously got involved in this before but now I am totally lost.

Can someone please give me step by step instructions (even if you have to point to other posts on how to install ADB since I don't even remember what that is), on how to get this NT back with CM7 or whatever the latest stable version is? I tried following this thread but it assumes that the reader has already done things, and I haven't. I'm basically starting from scratch with a bricked NT.

I should also mention, I have changed PCs and have never hooked the NT up to this particular computer. I no longer have the one I originally used.

Again, I apologize, I'm usually not this noobish.

Last edited:

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
I installed CM7 a LONG time ago on a Nook Tablet. I honestly don't remember the steps I had taken but it completed successfully. I then lost interest in my NT and gave it to my wife. She used it quite often and eventually she didn't charge it and it went dead. Upon re-charging it, it would start, I would see the CM7 logo then it would stick on that Team B logo.

Now, I have CWM Recovery installed internally and it keeps booting to that.

I tried this SD image and instructions http://raywaldo.com/2012/06/how-to-un-brick-a-nook-tablet-8gb-or-16gb/

But that did not work. I don't get a green check mark and it just says "Rebooting in 5 seconds" then it never starts up again.

I hate to sound like such a noob because I obviously got involved in this before but now I am totally lost.

Can someone please give me step by step instructions (even if you have to point to other posts on how to install ADB since I don't even remember what that is), on how to get this NT back with CM7 or whatever the latest stable version is? I tried following this thread but it assumes that the reader has already done things, and I haven't. I'm basically starting from scratch with a bricked NT.

I should also mention, I have changed PCs and have never hooked the NT up to this particular computer. I no longer have the one I originally used.

Again, I apologize, I'm usually not this noobish.
To fix a boot loop to Recovery, I'd suggest that you use SDcard-based CWM to flash flashable_fix_bootloop.zip from https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwFA9QwlHuiIUEJrM19RaFJBMk0/edit (click on File->Download to download).

If you'd like to flash the most recent & stable CM, I'd suggest you try Succulent CM10.0 build dated 12/31 posted at http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2012/11/03/cm10-0-jelly-bean-for-nook-tablet-uploading/. See http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35669871&postcount=1 for info/pointers on how to flash ROM internally.

Reactions: GeekyMaestro

GeekyMaestro

Jan 9, 2012
To fix a boot loop to Recovery, I'd suggest that you use SDcard-based CWM to flash flashable_fix_bootloop.zip from https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwFA9QwlHuiIUEJrM19RaFJBMk0/edit (click on File->Download to download).

If you'd like to flash the most recent & stable CM, I'd suggest you try Succulent CM10.0 build dated 12/31 posted at http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2012/11/03/cm10-0-jelly-bean-for-nook-tablet-uploading/. See http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35669871&postcount=1 for info/pointers on how to flash ROM internally.

And where is a SDcard based CWM image I can use? I did download the other file you posted. However, my SD card won't mount now. :(
I found one method that insists on running Ubuntu to do it. If I have to go to those lengths to make this thing work again, I may have an expensive paperweight.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Many people are getting what they are calling a bricked Nook tablet that won't boot or restore an OS. Often when they boot into CWM (from internal or SD) they get errors on screen, or possibly after an attempted install they show in the advanced / log

E:Can't mount / cache/recovery/command/
    E:Can't mount / cache/recovery/log/
    E:Can't open / cache/recovery/log/
    E:Can't mount / cache/recovery/last_log/
    E:Can't open / cache/recovery/last_log/
    failed to open/sys/class/android_usb/state: No such file or directory

This is actually an extremely common issue it seems. Basically its' quite likely you're partition map has some how been damaged.

Firstly just make sure you can't install an update or restore an old backup from SD, if that still fails and you end up straight back in CWM

All you need to do is download the parted binary HERE extract it from the archive and push it to your device or even just put it on an SD

ADB into your device and run the binary with the following command (you'll need it to be the accesible path or you can just be in the directory where it is)

parted /dev/block/mmcblk0 print

It will most likely show up with an error and ask if you want to fix it. Just say yes and let it do its' thing.

After it completes, reboot your device and see if you still get the same errors, Attempt to install CM7 once more.

If it still doesn't work, run the parted command again then download Adams total wipe and run that. It'll reset your device back to total stock. The parted command will repair the partition table and adamoutlers software will upload all the required software to the correct places for it all to work

Hope that helps!

If you get stuck feel free to give me a shout
    NT full brick...unable to recover.

My NT is suffering from the CM7-SD format brick problem.

I have hunted high and low for instructions on how to get ADB to work on a bricked NT. My NT is in a state where the only thing that boots on it is an SD-based CWM, but when I plug the NT into a PC, no matter what I do, CWM recovery starts up and the PC detects the unit as disk drives. ADB will NOT find the unit. I have tried on two separate Win7 machines...same problem on both.

I have also tried using Adam's total wipe fix, and while linux boot, the full wipe just hangs forever on the first step (zeroing MLO).

I am not sure I have the right USB drivers...basically, I'm using the ones I had for my long-gone Nook Color.

Can anyone offer me some help?

Thanks.
    More details...

It's not actually caused by formatting SD on CM7 any more. you could happily format your SD all day, although we still recommend not formatting anything at all via the NT.

If you have CWM you should have access to ADB, the probably reason it doesn't work for you is that you need to tell your computer what the id is on the device so that it can recognise it. What operating system are you using?

Here's a brief history, as best I can recall, of how I got where I am with my NT.

1. Installed NT CM7 about a week ago. All worked well until I noticed Kindle app misbehaving by not flipping pages on a book. I tried same book on two other android devices, and both worked fine. So...

2. In a complete act of stupidity, I went into 'Storage' on the NT, and noticing that there were 3 sections listed there (whose names escape me, but something like 'Internal SD', 'SD' and 'External SD'), I formatted all 3 (yup, dumb).

3. I shut down the NT (10 second press of power), and from there on in, tablet hung at 'N' screen. I manages to get CWM to start, using a combination of buttons I now don't recall (Power and Volume Up, perhaps?).

4. For reasons I can only describe as lunacy, I used Recovery to format everything it listed as format-able (under Mounts/Storage). From this point on, the tablet would not boot at all, not even back into CWM Recovery.

5. Thru online searching, I found an image for making a bootable CWM Recovery, which I created and used successfully to boot into recovery. I used it unsuccessfully to try to re-install CM7.

6. I then tried getting an ADB connection so I could try the various other fixes offered online, but have been completely unable to get a connection. I followed the instructions found in XDA thread ID 1424563 (sorry, I'm too junior to have link-posting permissions), but the thread assumes I can get to the NT's settings to turn on debug mode, which I can't.

7. As mentioned, I also tried Adam's full wipe/restore, but it hangs on phase one (zeroing MLO).

That's the crux of it, for what it's worth. I think my big issue right now is not being able to get ADB to work with it. If I could, I could try the partition command you gave in the OP.

Thanks for any help or ideas...
    Here's a brief history, as best I can recall, of how I got where I am with my NT.

1. Installed NT CM7 about a week ago. All worked well until I noticed Kindle app misbehaving by not flipping pages on a book. I tried same book on two other android devices, and both worked fine. So...

2. In a complete act of stupidity, I went into 'Storage' on the NT, and noticing that there were 3 sections listed there (whose names escape me, but something like 'Internal SD', 'SD' and 'External SD'), I formatted all 3 (yup, dumb).

3. I shut down the NT (10 second press of power), and from there on in, tablet hung at 'N' screen. I manages to get CWM to start, using a combination of buttons I now don't recall (Power and Volume Up, perhaps?).

4. For reasons I can only describe as lunacy, I used Recovery to format everything it listed as format-able (under Mounts/Storage). From this point on, the tablet would not boot at all, not even back into CWM Recovery.

5. Thru online searching, I found an image for making a bootable CWM Recovery, which I created and used successfully to boot into recovery. I used it unsuccessfully to try to re-install CM7.

6. I then tried getting an ADB connection so I could try the various other fixes offered online, but have been completely unable to get a connection. I followed the instructions found in XDA thread ID 1424563 (sorry, I'm too junior to have link-posting permissions), but the thread assumes I can get to the NT's settings to turn on debug mode, which I can't.

7. As mentioned, I also tried Adam's full wipe/restore, but it hangs on phase one (zeroing MLO).

That's the crux of it, for what it's worth. I think my big issue right now is not being able to get ADB to work with it. If I could, I could try the partition command you gave in the OP.

Thanks for any help or ideas...

you should have damaged the partition tables, so please make a CMW card first, and then you can use adb shell to repair the partition table.
    you can refer to this thread:http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22157605&postcount=25
    The old drivers and instructions you linked to worked...ADB now finds my NT! :) Thanks much!

Now...

I did the 'parted' thing, and while 3 or 4 errors were reported thru the process, it stated it completed successfully. I then rebooted with my CWM Recovery SD card and attempted to re-install CM7. The installer completed quite quickly and without errors, but it did not work (as I suspected it wouldn't, given how fast it executed). I then ran 'Brick_fix.zip', and it, too, completed successfully (well, except for the ping at the end), but I was unable to install CM7. So...

I'm now on to Adam's fix (note in the OP) and I'm glad to report it's working now. It got past the first stage (zeroing MLO) and is in the middle of 'flashing factory'. Sweet!

I'll report back in the morning, hopefully with good news. Thanks so much for the help, everyone.

Sorry I didn't get back to you last night, I had already gone to bed, looks like you've already got the help you need though. If the wiping had started to work you'll be fine :) lesson learnt though, DO NOT FORMAT ANYTHING ON NT ;)

Let us know it's fixed (which I'm sure it will be ;) )