[Review] Hyperion 3800 mAH Extended Battery for LG Nitro HD

Search This thread
Apr 9, 2012
battery?

hey guys just wondering about the initial charge its 12 hours right? and after that just full discharge and then full recharge but for full recharge do i just wait till it says full or do i have to wait extra on every recharge?

kernelpan1c

Retired Ep1c Sysadmin
Jan 6, 2010
California
I got one of these extended battery but its not branded and only $10.
http://www.tmart.com/3800mAh-Extended-Battery-with-Battery-Cover-for-LG-Nitro-HDP930_p157040.html

x9A9s.jpg
uZXWt.jpg

Over the last two days, I've been able to get 20-24 hours of the battery no problem. Its definitely got more mAh than the stock battery.

I actually like the soft rubber feel on the extended back cover, its softer feel in the hand compared to the stock back cover.

AllstarE4

Jan 8, 2012
That's a great deal as long as it holds up. Its nice to have these inexpensive options out there.

Sent from my LG-P930 using xda app-developers app

hereric

Oct 27, 2010
That's a great deal as long as it holds up. Its nice to have these inexpensive options out there.

Yeah I have 2 of those, pretty decent for the price. Can't use them right now or I'd drive myself crazy trying to pry the cover off every time my phone black screens haha.

lordcheeto03

Aug 18, 2012
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Yeah I have 2 of those, pretty decent for the price. Can't use them right now or I'd drive myself crazy trying to pry the cover off every time my phone black screens haha.

I've been trying the Paranoid Androids and CM10's since late August and I've ran into quite a few black screens. Just hold the power button for 10-15 seconds and it will reboot. At least, it has for me every time.

AllstarE4

Jan 8, 2012
I've been trying the Paranoid Androids and CM10's since late August and I've ran into quite a few black screens. Just hold the power button for 10-15 seconds and it will reboot. At least, it has for me every time.

Exactly what I do. I've never had to pull battery.

stemalo

Feb 29, 2012
important read
I purchased the hyperion battery a couple of months ago and just last week I started to see what looked like a little drop of water in the middle of the screen. I taught for sure that the screen was going on the fritz then today noticed that my case was not closing properly. opened it up and found that the battery started swelling which cause the little drop in the screen and the case not closing poorly.
just reverted back to the initial battery.

just wanted to let you guys know.

Sent from my LG-P935 using Tapatalk 2

AllstarE4

Jan 8, 2012
Thanks for the warning stemalo. I haven't noticed any issues, but know to check now.

BeatByte

Dec 11, 2011
Dumont
www.youtube.com
Woah, this exact thing happened to me, but I had no idea it was the battery's fault. Didn't even realize that the water drop in the screen is gone until now.

Sent from my LG-P930 using xda premium

xilen

Apr 9, 2012
I got one of these extended battery but its not branded and only $10.
http://www.tmart.com/3800mAh-Extended-Battery-with-Battery-Cover-for-LG-Nitro-HDP930_p157040.html

x9A9s.jpg
uZXWt.jpg

Over the last two days, I've been able to get 20-24 hours of the battery no problem. Its definitely got more mAh than the stock battery.

I actually like the soft rubber feel on the extended back cover, its softer feel in the hand compared to the stock back cover.

How was the performance? Is it the same with the hyperion?

kernelpan1c

Retired Ep1c Sysadmin
Jan 6, 2010
California
How was the performance? Is it the same with the hyperion?

I don't have a Hyperion to compare but for the price I don't think it can be beat. It definitely lasts longer than stock, I wouldn't quite say 2x as long though. But definitely 1.5x.

If you look at the photos, the battery itself looks exactly like the Hyperion, even the cover.

Sent from my LG Nitro HD

danieldp1990

Jul 17, 2012
cali
Guys i think my battery is making my lg reboots, i just adjust an motorola V3 battery to the LG Nitro with some wires, and i was like multitasking alot till the battery died, and i dint expect cany kind of reboots. but i think my battery is causing them cause at the front side, the gold metal parts have some kind of holes..

any ideas for this?

Smitty7722

Feb 7, 2013
Toronto
Hey guys, i just got mine in the mail today at 5pm just put it on charge until i have to go to work at 5:30am tomorrow. just wondering if i should run it down to 0% and then recharge? or start charging it at 1%? hope to here back soon. thanks for your reviews guys and hoping the battery meets my expectations. I'm running Ho!no! Full Throttle at the moment for the under volt to try and get the most out of the stock battery. My last Discharge was 18 hours with stock battery with light to medium use with brightness turned as far down as it will go. i am normally a heavy user but have found i have to resist using my phone due to stock battery drain. i will let you know how it goes!

lordcheeto03

Aug 18, 2012
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Hey guys, i just got mine in the mail today at 5pm just put it on charge until i have to go to work at 5:30am tomorrow. just wondering if i should run it down to 0% and then recharge? or start charging it at 1%? hope to here back soon. thanks for your reviews guys and hoping the battery meets my expectations. I'm running Ho!no! Full Throttle at the moment for the under volt to try and get the most out of the stock battery. My last Discharge was 18 hours with stock battery with light to medium use with brightness turned as far down as it will go. i am normally a heavy user but have found i have to resist using my phone due to stock battery drain. i will let you know how it goes!

I would say charge it for however long it says, run it completely down. As in, let it die... run Netflix or something for a few hours until it dies. Then plug it in and don't turn it on until it's completely charged.

Reactions: Smitty7722

KronicSkillz

Jan 30, 2013
LG G8
That's actually not unusual (for any Li-Ion battery) and doesn't mean you are actually losing that much charge. If you're interested you can read about how it works here: http://phandroid.com/2010/12/25/you...is-lying-to-you-and-its-not-such-a-bad-thing/

Short summary: Leaving a Li-Ion battery at 100% for an extended period of time will hurt the battery's lifespan, so when you leave a phone on a charger, it will actually level out at around 90-93% charge (but the phone will report this as 100%). It's confusing but basically you should assume your phone is at about 90% when you pull it off the charger.

mine doesn't drop any faster from 100-90 then it does from 90-80 and so on. i calibrate it using this guide

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacking-guides/14714-how-optimize-battery-life-speed.html

just skip down to battery calibration unless you feel like reading the whole article

Swetnes

Aug 2, 2012
OnePlus 8
mine doesn't drop any faster from 100-90 then it does from 90-80 and so on. i calibrate it using this guide

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacking-guides/14714-how-optimize-battery-life-speed.html

just skip down to battery calibration unless you feel like reading the whole article

I don't have this brand extended life battery but one thing I have noticed about mine vs. stock is it will drop fast from 100% - 90% but from 90% - 40% it drops at the same rate as stock but below 40% it drops very slowly to the point that I get the same life as I would with stock at 60% I hadn't used it for a while because I usually have my phone in a case. So this week I brought it out and used the calibration guide at the above link and guess what the behavior is no different. My conclusion : The software must not know how to handle the higher capacity but my life is definitely longer. 36 hours with 2 hrs talk 2 hrs screen time and 1 1/2 hrs using Google navigation.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First, some pictures:

CiCYU.jpg

e3l8J.jpg

Phone with extended back cover, compared with TPU case:
    jxLyJ.jpg

Front and back of phone, with extended battery cover on. The cover is quite solid and fits flush with the phone. The build quality is very good, quite similar to the stock back cover IMO.
    dZFEc.jpg

gHwDQ.jpg

As far as the performance goes, I'm pretty happy so far. After I got it, I charged it completely, and then started using it. Here is my usage graph so far. I accidentally left TuneIn Radio running in the background overnight, hence the big "awake" section. Even after 16 hours of some decently heavy use, I've still got 34% left. And this is on the very first charge, before any calibration has been done. The stock battery definitely could not last through this much use on one charge.

djSBp.png
    Update:

Here's the battery life on the second charge.

The vertical line in the middle is from when I shut off the phone to flash a new nightly.

udLa7.png
    important read
    I purchased the hyperion battery a couple of months ago and just last week I started to see what looked like a little drop of water in the middle of the screen. I taught for sure that the screen was going on the fritz then today noticed that my case was not closing properly. opened it up and found that the battery started swelling which cause the little drop in the screen and the case not closing poorly.
    just reverted back to the initial battery.

just wanted to let you guys know.

Sent from my LG-P935 using Tapatalk 2
    I really want this but don't want the added thickness.. :(

How thick is it with the extended battery and cover?
    For me the way I would normally hold the phone, there is a small gap between the inside of my fingers and the phone, so the added bulk makes it feel a little more natural. Yes, it looks really thick, but in reality it feels fine. But, I wouldn't use it with tighter pants (jeans,khakis, etc...) because it would look massive in your pocket.

I would say charge it for however long it says, run it completely down. As in, let it die... run Netflix or something for a few hours until it dies. Then plug it in and don't turn it on until it's completely charged.