What's the difference between a Google Nexus 7 and a Asus Nexus 7

Search This thread

toker_X1

Feb 1, 2009
London
There are 3 versions out there of the same product

Nexus 7 i/o - white backing and black bezel trim. These were given out by Google to devs and special people.

Nexus 7 - black backing and silver bezel trim. Intended for Google play store pre orders

Nexus 7 - dark brown backing and silver bezel trim. This is the official retail release

Apparently some pre order black units had poor build quality.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

toker_X1

Feb 1, 2009
London
I wouldn't bet on it. The Asus return procedure at cpw (they came from Asus not Google) is very long windid. If you make a return outside of 28 days you will get a repair it replacement. But will be without your tab for 14-28 days.

Anything outside standard 28 days is normally referred to OEM.
So everyone is subject to Asus rma process anyway unless Google has some special deal with asus

rmm200

Apr 15, 2011
Bend
My 27 June preorder from Playstore is labeled: NEXUS7,Brown,GL,GPS,1G DDR3L,NFC.

Darkest brown I ever saw - I would call it black.

Google does not manufacture the Nexus 7 - these are all Asus products.

Warrantee card says Asus - although I would go to Google if I had issues.

Here again, I would take what Google CS says with a grain of salt - these are just people, and possibly temps
At this point, regular XDA posters know more about the product than Google CS does.

Reactions: limbonik

DDRFAN

Oct 10, 2009
Toronto
Just out of curiosity, when downloading an app through Google Play's website, is your Nexus 7 listed as GOOGLE Nexus 7, or ASUS Nexus 7? Mine is currently listed as ASUS Nexus 7...

toker_X1

Feb 1, 2009
London
They do yes. They are sending out replacements and then asking for returns within 28 days.

That's make it worth buying from Google play store if that's their rma process. let's hope either of us have use the warranty.

Last edited:

darkquota

Nov 19, 2011
Just out of curiosity, when downloading an app through Google Play's website, is your Nexus 7 listed as GOOGLE Nexus 7, or ASUS Nexus 7? Mine is currently listed as ASUS Nexus 7...

Asus Nexus 7. I'm running Team EOS grouped ROM and got the device from the play store.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

PROlific666

Jun 23, 2012
Crestview
Its the same. Its a nexus device so the updates come directly from Google no matter where you bought it. They are both nakasi. The GNex does have multiple versions and firmware but the N7 has one build.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My box says, "NEXUS 7 ASUS, BRN, GL, GPS, 1G DDR3L, NFC". I assume the BRN would stand for brown. And while it looks black to me, it could technically be a super dark brown vs a pure black (not that anyone's eyes would know the difference).
    What terrible lighting. I don't know what to make of this thread. Is there really a brown one?

Just got mine. It's brown. Pretty dark brown, but brown. And it says so on the sticker on the box too.
    My 27 June preorder from Playstore is labeled: NEXUS7,Brown,GL,GPS,1G DDR3L,NFC.

Darkest brown I ever saw - I would call it black.

Google does not manufacture the Nexus 7 - these are all Asus products.

Warrantee card says Asus - although I would go to Google if I had issues.

Here again, I would take what Google CS says with a grain of salt - these are just people, and possibly temps
    At this point, regular XDA posters know more about the product than Google CS does.