USB Keyboard Support?

Search This thread

meatlocker

Jul 29, 2007
FL
Picked up an A500 today after carefully reading through the documentation on Acer's support site as well as the user manual for mentions of USB keyboard support. It says implicitly that there IS support for USB keyboards (just not USB mice yet). However...I can't get a single USB keyboard to work (I've tried 3). Anyone tried this yet and gotten it working? I know the USB slot is working ok, because it reads a thumb drive just fine. Thanks!

VitaZora

Feb 19, 2011
Picked up an A500 today after carefully reading through the documentation on Acer's support site as well as the user manual for mentions of USB keyboard support. It says implicitly that there IS support for USB keyboards (just not USB mice yet). However...I can't get a single USB keyboard to work (I've tried 3). Anyone tried this yet and gotten it working? I know the USB slot is working ok, because it reads a thumb drive just fine. Thanks!

I have had no problem with the one USB keyboard I've tried. It's a generic Apple clone from Deal Extreme.

No luck with Bluetooth keyboards though.

ramy717

Jan 1, 2011
i could not get it to work with wireless USB keyboards but it did work with a dell USB keyboard.

meatlocker

Jul 29, 2007
FL
(I just realized that this is in the Dev section - mods, please move if needed!)
I tried a Dell keyboard, and it worked. One of the things I really hoped was going to work was the GTab case/usb keyboard combo ...the A500 fits perfectly in this case, even more snuggly than the GTab. I can't understand why it doesn't work. :(

peyotll

Feb 17, 2010
(I just realized that this is in the Dev section - mods, please move if needed!)
I tried a Dell keyboard, and it worked. One of the things I really hoped was going to work was the GTab case/usb keyboard combo ...the A500 fits perfectly in this case, even more snuggly than the GTab. I can't understand why it doesn't work. :(

I tried a cheap chinese case/usb keyboard combo and it worked but the a500 doesn't fit in...

MJ-12

Apr 29, 2011
IN FRONT OF THE COMPUTER :)
USB keyboard

Got a case/stand for my vega for £20 of amazon which has a built in usb keyboard, tried it on the iconia works 100%

Actually I think having mouse support would be nicer, maybe in imminent 3.1 release.

T0yman

Apr 28, 2011
KEyboard

I did not have a regular USB keyboard laying around so I tried a PS/2 using a PS/2 to USB adapter and worked perfect.

saeba

Apr 14, 2006
Atlanta
I have had no problem with the one USB keyboard I've tried. It's a generic Apple clone from Deal Extreme.

No luck with Bluetooth keyboards though.

Just posted in the "Iconia A500 Accessories" forum... I tested the Logitech Cordless MediaBoard Pro for PS3 (bluetooth keybd) and it worked :)!

cybermage1

Nov 19, 2010
www.humanoidapps.com
Something people may need to note: When I plug a keyboard in while the screen is off, or is locked, it does not work. If I first login, THEN plug in the keyboard (Logitech multimedia USB keyboard) it works great.

Vereynn

Apr 28, 2011
Washington, DC
i tried some cheap micro keyboard+trackpad combo (about as wide as the tablet in landscape) & had issues. Only time it worked was when I was in the URL bar of the browser, "physical keyboard" showed as an input type option. Anywhere else it just sat plugged in. I may steal my dad's Mac BT keyboard since he doesn't use it. Will clash horribly though :eek:

threedfreek

Mar 21, 2008
lansing, mi
I've got it running on a BT Keyboard/mouse device Works great... I've had issues with the headphones plug not stopping my music... (listen to Hard Rock at work and everyone hears it =(oops).. pull headphones and plug them back in... lots of really little niggles that need to be worked out... hopefully acer will find them all with the update next month!!!

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008
Charleston, SC metro area
I've got it running on a BT Keyboard/mouse device Works great... I've had issues with the headphones plug not stopping my music... (listen to Hard Rock at work and everyone hears it =(oops).. pull headphones and plug them back in... lots of really little niggles that need to be worked out... hopefully acer will find them all with the update next month!!!

Ohhhh! I've always wondered about that keyboard! Does the trackpad work? How's typing with that keypad?

threedfreek

Mar 21, 2008
lansing, mi
Touch pad works great for pc and playstation 3... etc... but for the acer it does nothing... Arrows work to get from item to item typing works great... I believe an update will/can allow mouse...

FYI... this device comes with it's own bt usb adapter that is really weak however, when connected to a bluetooth device has decent distance.

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008
Charleston, SC metro area
Touch pad works great for pc and playstation 3... etc... but for the acer it does nothing... Arrows work to get from item to item typing works great... I believe an update will/can allow mouse...

FYI... this device comes with it's own bt usb adapter that is really weak however, when connected to a bluetooth device has decent distance.

How's the hardware? Solid? Connectivity in and out? And how easy/difficult was it to pair? I've read that a lot of these no-name devices don't come with specific instructions on pairing.

threedfreek

Mar 21, 2008
lansing, mi
How's the hardware? Solid? Connectivity in and out? And how easy/difficult was it to pair? I've read that a lot of these no-name devices don't come with specific instructions on pairing.

Pairing was as simple (on my samsung epic) as searching for devices.
1. push the bluetooth button till the light blinks
2. Search for devices
3. type in a passcode on phone/device
4. type that passcode on the keyboard

I think this is how it was done... worked really well first time to my epic... easily connected on my a500 too. I love the keyboad it works with my entertainment pc that has sagetv on it so controlling the 47" from the couch is awesome.

edit: Hardware is really solid and the bt usb device slides into the keyboard... really convenient

Last edited:

seraphimserapis

May 25, 2009
Berlin
www.sera-apps.de
My cherry keyboard doesn't seem to run. Sad

DMESG says the following:

<6>[ 660.363583] usb 1-1: new low speed USB device using tegra-ehci and address 6
<6>[ 660.410104] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=046a, idProduct=0023
<6>[ 660.410487] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
<6>[ 688.559913] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 6

Last edited: